hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could name dozens. Never seen a Rocky film just for starters, or a Marvel movie - are these even deemed to be classics? I hope not.

But my named one has to be Escape to Victory. It just looks awful. Puerile concept. Sylvester Stallone. Everyone looks too old. Actual footballers shoehorned into the script. Sylvester Stallone. Wrong hairstyles. Did I mention Sylvester Stallone? I would turn off the telly and stare a blank screen for two hours rather than watch that.
    E2V is appalling in all the ways you mention, but so bad it's good.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I'm not sure if this topic has been done before on here, almost certainly I guess, but I can't remember it. It was a Radio 4 show for a while and the Guardian are currently doing it.

So, well, () it's one film acknowledged as a classic that you haven't seen. And maybe explain whether that's on purpose or just you've never got round to it.

Mine is 'The Shawshank Redemption'. I don't want to watch it. Obviously I am prejudging but it sounds twee and when I have seen a clip on one of those 'Ten Million Best Films Ever' shows, it feels a bit twee.

I also am ambivalent about Tim Robbins. I feel like I should like him but I struggle to warm to him. And Morgan Freeman always feels ike you are watching him play Morgan Freeman

I know it is a very well-liked film for a lot of people and I respect that. For me it is a classic that I haven't seen and wouldn't try to.
    Happily in Shawshank his character is inscrutable and emotionally repressed in a way that makes all around him ambivalent. Robbins carries this off to a t. I suppose it is a little bit twee but I love it.

Citizen Kane

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Citizen Kane
    Most overrated pile of pish I've ever seen, I get that it was groundbreaking at the time but it's garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Most overrated pile of pish I've ever seen, I get that it was groundbreaking at the time but it's garbage
    It wasn't. It didn't even make it's money back. It wasn't until 1956 rerelease that it was popular.

It's standard critic stuff, total dross but talked up by blow hards so it's popular to say it's a classic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Titanic for me too. What's the point, people have been posting spoilers since 1912.
    You should get the blu-ray with the extras and watch the alternative ending version.

You could pick pretty much any cos I'm not a film person at all.

I'll go with the godfather because it gets talked about so often and I've never had any interest.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I've not missed much.

Never watched a star wars all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a masterpiece. It's a film that moves me every time I watch it. The sheer scale of what Schindler achieved was hard to comprehend. The scene at the end when he questions himself and asks if he could have done more is portrayed brilliantly be Neeson.

It doesn't take much to set me off when watching a film. From ET to Happy Feet to Toy Story 3 I'll shed a tear bit Schindler List always leaves me feeling uncomfortable for a while afterwards. I think that's the genius of it.
    You not seen Toy Story 4? Must have been in tears at that.

I agree with you about most subjects but FFS, its a tremendous film. Stayed with me for weeks, couldnt stop thinking about it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I’ve tried to watch It’s A Wonderful Life a few times. I just can’t get into it at all.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I agree with you about most subjects but FFS, its a tremendous film. Stayed with me for weeks, couldnt stop thinking about it.
    You drink out of jars though

I got made to watch it when I was 15 in media studies at school, no doubt if I watched it again now I'd perhaps have a higher opinion but it's not going to happen

2001- A Space Odyssey.
    I’ve tried watching it a few times and just can’t get past the first few minutes. No idea why, I usually love sci-fi.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

On The Waterfront.
    Have the DVD kicking around but never got round to watching it. May well dig it out shortly and give it a burl.

Left by mutual consent!
    Shawshank redemption. So sick of hearing people say its one of the greatest ever movies I never will

Braveheart - saw a clip of Mel Gibson butchering a Scottish accent and that put me right off.

ET - never appealed to me

Titanic - I struggle to watch fitba when I know the final score, so a movie about a big boat that sinks is not going to cut it with me.

Frozen - I’m an adult, it’s a kids movie - same goes for Potter and Twilight.

This feels good getting all this off my chest

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    Braveheart - saw a clip of Mel Gibson butchering a Scottish accent and that put me right off.

Titanic - I struggle to watch fitba when I know the final score, so a movie about a big boat that sinks is not going to cut it with me.

Braveheart is truly dreadful but does at least have some comedy value.

I've never watched a Harry Potter movie. Wasn't gonna mention them though as don't regard them as being classic.

Lucky escape for you there!

Bit you're missing out here!

SPOILER!

The actual sinking bit drags on for ever as well. Filmmakers far too pleased with their effects budget.

Let it go!

Forrest Gump for me. Watched the first 10 minutes or so and took a real dislike to the way Hanks was acting the part.

@hibs.net private member
    Only watched the first 10 mins of Braveheart, looked dreadful. Never watched Top Gun but not sure if that’s a classic?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’ve tried to watch It’s A Wonderful Life a few times. I just can’t get into it at all.
    You have to be drunk.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Mutiny on the Bounty

You know the one set at sea, I can’t for the life of me recall the name of the ship it all plays out on though.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Mutiny on the Bounty

You know the one set at sea, I can’t for the life of me recall the name of the ship it all plays out on though.
    The good ship Venus...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    2001- A Space Odyssey.
    I’ve tried watching it a few times and just can’t get past the first few minutes. No idea why, I usually love sci-fi.
    The longer you leave it the more dated it becomes. I love sci-fi as well, but I don’t think these type of films age as well as other genres.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Second best Christmas movie ever made, after Die Hard.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Just watching the original Whisky Galore on the BBC iplayer after snoring my way through the remake.

Blog Entries
    Reservoir Dogs. Am I missing much?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Reservoir Dogs. Am I missing much?
    I would say no. It is definitely iconic and introduced the QT style but Pulp Fiction is at least one stronger film by him. Reservoir Dogs is a classic 'things go wrong' movie and is a good film, so it is worth a watch, but reflecting on it, it hasnt dated well.

Can't argue with the soundtrack and there are a couple of scenes that will always hit the 'Best Five Hundred Scenes Ever' on the channels that run those shows
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 08-05-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Just watching the original Whisky Galore on the BBC iplayer after snoring my way through the remake.
    The original is one of my favourite films ever. Despite it being filmed in a town I called home for years the remake stinks.