hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

Virgin Media - butchering the pavement

Anyone had experience of Virgin Media laying cables in the street. They've started round our way and it's a mess, not only with the way they've left the street but also their traffic management.

They start on our road today and we have monoblock on the road so will be interesting to see how the leave it. We have taken a lot of photos in advance. I'm not confident that it's going to go well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone had experience of Virgin Media laying cables in the street. They've started round our way and it's a mess, not only with the way they've left the street but also their traffic management.

They start on our road today and we have monoblock on the road so will be interesting to see how the leave it. We have taken a lot of photos in advance. I'm not confident that it's going to go well.
    They’ll lift the monoblock and put it straight back down. Ours was done about 18 months or so ago.

The pavement looks a bit messy at first but gradually blends in. If they need to lift grass to put the cable from street to house they generally do a decent job of relaying the turf as well.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Yep. C Plan were the contractors, started off so professional, tidying everything up, couldn't quite believe it. Then a different squad took over and it was a bloody mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    They’ll lift the monoblock and put it straight back down. Ours was done about 18 months or so ago.

The pavement looks a bit messy at first but gradually blends in. If they need to lift grass to put the cable from street to house they generally do a decent job of relaying the turf as well.

Monoblock they can do quite well. Turf was beyond them in my street, probably depends on the squad or the time of day.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I've twice had issues with the contractors laying the cables along the pavement outside my house.
    My garden has a large hedge all round the boundary against the pavement (I keep it tidy). When they dug the trench in the pavement to lay the cables they used a road saw to cut the tarmac, they were very close to the hedge and the exhaust pointed directly at it, the exhaust left a scorch mark all along the length of the hedge probably about 30 feet long.
    Fortunatley it eventually grew out but took a few years before it was gone completely. To add insult to injury they then installed a big junction box against the hedge, and with no warning or prior consultation they chopped out a large hole in the hedge to mount the box. I was told they had sent me notification of the proposed work which I had never received, eventually was given £250 as compensation for their incompetence.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Yep. C Plan were the contractors, started off so professional, tidying everything up, couldn't quite believe it. Then a different squad took over and it was a bloody mess.
    C plan are doing ours I think. The local Isa type character will keep them in check, they'll take twice as long to do it as she'll be at them 24/7.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    C plan are doing ours I think. The local Isa type character will keep them in check, they'll take twice as long to do it as she'll be at them 24/7.

A cable company laid cables next to the Caley Hotel rank, the small slabs put back are a disgrace, mostly loose and not enough sand used between them, another cabbie told me they guy done the whole lot in around an hour, cowboy stuff.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Virgin put cables in the streets round our way a couple of years ago (but not mine as the council haven’t adopted it yet...). It took them 3 attempts to get the pavements sorted afterwards, as they didn’t seal the joins between the old and new bits of pavement properly.

It’s over 25 years since the original cable network was laid in Edinburgh by Virginmedia’s predecessor Telewest Communications. By and large it was a mess at the time and got as much criticism then as the current tram works get now. All in all though, they did a good job and the pavement trenches that were dug up were all replaced with appropriate original covering. It’s a remnant of that work that’s still visible in most streets today where the tarmac on the pavements has a line about 18 inches wide running along it.

Many have a go at Virginmedia’s service. I’ve never had real cause to complain here in Leith. They’re always miles ahead in terms of broadband speed compared to BT.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    The contractors that did our street were having a laugh. large trench in front of the garage with no coverings. then the buggered off and left most of the driveways on the street barriered off.

the guys doing the business broadband on the other hand were brilliant. Turf, slabs, tarmac - nothing was a problem and you wouldnt know they had been (except the obvious on the tarmac)