hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Misunderstood, big ego tho!
    Mike Love just couldn't understand Van Dyke Parks lyrics.
    When you listen to the whole Smile album I get it no problem
    I understand all the lyrics.
    After about 12 pints of lager.

Smile was meant to be the masterclass to top Pet Sounds.
    Sorry but I don't think it had any chance of doing that.
    To try and compare them though is a bit like comparing an apple and an orange.

2. Log in to remove the advert

.... and the buckets of fire!
    ..and the Vegetables.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    Mike Love just couldn't understand Van Dyke Parks lyrics.
    When you listen to the whole Smile album I get it no problem
    I understand all the lyrics.
    After about 12 pints of lager.

Smile was meant to be the masterclass to top Pet Sounds.
    Sorry but I don't think it had any chance of doing that.
    To try and compare them though is a bit like comparing an apple and an orange.
    Yes, Mike didn't want to "f with the formula", but the Beach Boys were a lot more than just 'sun, surf and cars'

Yes, Mike didn't want to "f with the formula", but the Beach Boys were a lot more than just 'sun, surf and cars'
    Mike and the record company were upset because the gravy train stopped.
    I love all these albums up until 1973 that sold meagerly.
    It was slim pickings after that other than the "Love You" album in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Mike and the record company were upset because the gravy train stopped.
    I love all these albums up until 1973 that sold meagerly.
    It was slim pickings after that other than the "Love You" album in 1977.
    Think the band took the wrong direction in 1976, the travelling juke box stifled the Wilson brothers, to be fair though, they have produced fleeting moments of greatness since then, the closing suite on their last 2012 album stands up to anything post Smile

The record company messed up as they released The Beach Boys Greatest Hits (Vol3?) within weeks of Pet Sounds release rather than get behind it.

Truth is The Beach Boys fell out of fashion. Rather than subtle arrangements and baroque chamber pop the fashion, post Hendrix, was for blunt VOLUME. Which BW was never going to deliver. (I suppose the mental health issues and the chronic cocaine habit didn't help either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    The record company messed up as they released The Beach Boys Greatest Hits (Vol3?) within weeks of Pet Sounds release rather than get behind it.

Truth is The Beach Boys fell out of fashion. Rather than subtle arrangements and baroque chamber pop the fashion, post Hendrix, was for blunt VOLUME. Which BW was never going to deliver. (I suppose the mental health issues and the chronic cocaine habit didn't help either.)

Another tragedy was the demise of Dennis Wilson, who on reflection was a great talent on his own, lived the fast life, bombed and burnt at age 39!

Think the band took the wrong direction in 1976, the travelling juke box stifled the Wilson brothers, to be fair though, they have produced fleeting moments of greatness since then, the closing suite on their last 2012 album stands up to anything post Smile
    Not coincidently the 2012 album is the only BB album I have bought since "Love You"

Not coincidently the 2012 album is the only BB album I have bought since "Love You"
    I like the LA Album, the band dong their best BW impersonations. A bit saccharine but OK, it is slim pickings post Love You.

BW 1988 album stands up, and a few tracks from his various solo stuff but diminishing returns is understandable.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Another tragedy was the demise of Dennis Wilson, who on reflection was a great talent on his own, lived the fast life, bombed and burnt at age 39!
    Pacific Ocean Blue is a terrific album, probably the best thing any Beach Boy produced either as a member of the band or solo after Surf's Up.

That's it in a nutshell. I only started listening to them properly when I became a music obsessive and ended up buying 95% of their albums up until '77.
    Joe Public stopped listening when Brian moved on from the short songs about surfing, cars and girls. Capitol reacted by releasing compilations every year.
    The Pet Sounds and Smile shows Wilson did almost 20 years ago with The Wondermints as his band are a memory I treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Pacific Ocean Blue is a terrific album, probably the best thing any Beach Boy produced either as a member of the band or solo after Surf's Up.
    Totally agree and that is the direction the band should have went, some great songs on that album with a big help from cousin Mike Love (who later was Dennis Wilson's father in law!)

That's it in a nutshell. I only started listening to them properly when I became a music obsessive and ended up buying 95% of their albums up until '77.
    Joe Public stopped listening when Brian moved on from the short songs about surfing, cars and girls. Capitol reacted by releasing compilations every year.
    The Pet Sounds and Smile shows Wilson did almost 20 years ago with The Wondermints as his band are a memory I treasure.
    Pet Sounds actually went platinum in the US at the time but there was some glitch and many sales weren't logged nutil years later.

The Pet Sounds gig at The Playhouse was the bomb - a wee warm-up of You're Welcome and Cabinessence blew the top of your head off. Was also at the first night performance of SMiLE at the RFH - sat next to Peter Blake no less.

Thing is, given the quality of their 60 year back catalogue, they are or have been criminally underrated in their own country, much more appreciated here in Europe!

I like the LA Album, the band dong their best BW impersonations. A bit saccharine but OK, it is slim pickings post Love You.

BW 1988 album stands up, and a few tracks from his various solo stuff but diminishing returns is understandable.
    I avoided the LA Album but recently heard it and there is good stuff on it like "Good Timin'". Certainly sounded better than "15 Big Ones" from 76.
    I bought BW when it came out. It was rereleased with lots of outtakes but I haven't heard them more than once.

Loads of good BB boxsets of sessions and outtakes have come out in recent years.
    I'm currently ploughing through the 5 discs of the recently released "Feel Flows: The Sunflower & Surfs Up Sessions 1968-1971"

I avoided the LA Album but recently heard it and there is good stuff on it like "Good Timin'". Certainly sounded better than "15 Big Ones" from 76.
    I bought BW when it came out. It was rereleased with lots of outtakes but I haven't heard them more than once.

Loads of good BB boxsets of sessions and outtakes have come out in recent years.
    I am currently ploughing through the 5 discs of the most recent one - "Feel Flows: The Sunflower & Surfs Up Sessions 1968-1971
    15 stinky ones more like - but it served it's purpose of getting BW back in the studio and we got Love You as a result. I like Had To Phone Ya but prefer his wife's version.

I check out those batch releases on Spotify these days. The biggest revelation is the lead vocals to "Passing By", which BW "wiped" back in the day - "wiped" like he "burned" the Fire tapes.

BW 1988 is like a bookend to Love You, it illustrates the advances in synths over the 10 years between the releases. Love both those albums.

Pet Sounds actually went platinum in the US at the time but there was some glitch and many sales weren't logged nutil years later.

The Pet Sounds gig at The Playhouse was the bomb - a wee warm-up of You're Welcome and Cabinessence blew the top of your head off. Was also at the first night performance of SMiLE at the RFH - sat next to Peter Blake no less.
    Wow!
    I went to the 1st UK show for Pet Sounds which was at The Armadillo in Glasgow. Drove through in horrific snow.
    Some months later I took my wife to the show at The Playhouse on the 12th June 2002 (have a gig poster on the wall). Think that sounds like the show you were at.
    The Smile show I was at was in Glasgow.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-10-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Wee story about the Beach Boys Playhouse gig in 2008, post concert we went for a few drinks down the shore at Leith, went in to the Malmaison and the whole band were in the lounge, Mike Love later breezed in and bought the whole party drinks.. including us! Him and David Marks very friendly, not so much Bruce Johnston!

Wee story about the Beach Boys Playhouse gig in 2008, post concert we went for a few drinks down the shore at Leith, went in to the Malmaison and the whole band were in the lounge, Mike Love later breezed in and bought the whole party drinks.. including us! Him and David Marks very friendly, not so much Bruce Johnston!
    Nice. Haven't seen The Beach Boys since the mid80's but that is brilliant you hooked up with them.

The Playhouse on the 12th June 2002 (have a gig poster on the wall). Think that sounds like the show you were at.
    Must be. Great night - a proper edgy gig rather than a "recital" which can happen with that band.

I was on the "SMiLE Research Laboratories" email list at he time (long gone) and it took a while to convince the septics that Cabinessence had actually been performed.

Wow!
    I went to the 1st UK show for Pet Sounds which was at The Armadillo in Glasgow. Drove through in horrific snow.
    Some months later I took my wife to the show at The Playhouse on the 12th June 2002 (have a gig poster on the wall). Think that sounds like the show you were at.
    The Smile show I was at was in Glasgow.
    Was at that first Glasgow gig as well, think it was Burns night?.. was lucky enough to meet Brian post gig, always remember everyone warm and sweating and there's BW sitting there like a big polar bear with a huge winter parka on just signing stuff and not saying much!

Must be. Great night - a proper edgy gig rather than a "recital" which can happen with that band.

I was on the "SMiLE Research Laboratories" email list at he time (long gone) and it took a while to convince the septics that Cabinessence had actually been performed.
    Old men were chatting about it like excited kids in the toilets during the break
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-10-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Was at that first Glasgow gig as well, think it was Burns night?.. was lucky enough to meet Brian post gig, always remember everyone warm and sweating and there's BW sitting there like a big polar bear with a huge winter parka on just signing stuff and not saying much!
    Yeah it was, 25th January 2002.
    The night BW opened his 2002 UK tour at the Glasgow Armadillo, ahead of the London RFH gigs.
    Appalling weather that night. Snowtastic!
    Wonderful gig. Men with a bit of dust in the eye all over the auditorium that night.

Nice. Haven't seen The Beach Boys since the mid80's but that is brilliant you hooked up with them.

First saw them Wembley 1980,also at Wembley 2012, great gig but not the same without Carl & Dennis Wilson, wish I'd seen them at Wembley stadium 1975 tho, where they outstaged Elton John and the Eagles (too young!)

First saw them Wembley 1980
    Was BW onstage?

15 stinky ones more like - but it served it's purpose of getting BW back in the studio and we got Love You as a result. I like Had To Phone Ya but prefer his wife's version.

I check out those batch releases on Spotify these days. The biggest revelation is the lead vocals to "Passing By", which BW "wiped" back in the day - "wiped" like he "burned" the Fire tapes.

BW 1988 is like a bookend to Love You, it illustrates the advances in synths over the 10 years between the releases. Love both those albums.
    Loads of **** cover versions.
    Even the cover art is horrific.
    Greasy haired Brian and Love wearing one of his poncy hats.
    Dreadful stuff.

Had To Phone Ya" is good. A nice weirdness to it. The Honeys version removes the weirdness.
    Only other non cover track I can remember from it is "It's O.K."
    "Just Once In My Life" cover is pretty good
    What other tracks are serviceable from the album?
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-10-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    I could never get into the Beach Boys. A lover of rock music over five decades with a quite sizable collection I bought Pet Sounds with great expectations as it was rated as an all time great. Just don't like it. Certain albums take a few listens before you start to warm to them but not this one. LP remains virtually pristine in my collection. Now, I wonder if it's worth anything? ��

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    I could never get into the Beach Boys. A lover of rock music over five decades with a quite sizable collection I bought Pet Sounds with great expectations as it was rated as an all time great. Just don't like it. Certain albums take a few listens before you start to warm to them but not this one. LP remains virtually pristine in my collection. Now, I wonder if it's worth anything? ��
    Pet Sounds isn't a rock album.

Some pressings are worth quite a bit. Years ago I got £50 for a "stereoised" early 70's pressing. The stereoisation was rubbish. Check Discogs.
    Last edited by Kato; 04-10-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    As Kato says it all depends on the pressing and there are hundreds of them.
    I have a 1976 US mono pressing that according to Discogs is worth £12 minimum, £37 medium and £92 max.
    Look yours up. You will need stuff like the country, the catalogue number, mono or stereo, the record label and it's art, whats scratched in the run out grooves, the way the songs are printed on the label and sleeve. That will help you tell what year your copy was pressed and at which pressing plant. Odds are it will be worth £30 which will be more than you paid for it. Obviously condition is mega important to value.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-10-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Was BW onstage?
    Yes, Brian was there (in body!).. he spent most of the gig drinking and smoking while tinkling on the piano, if I remember.