hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Martin Boyle v Daniel James

I was at the Man United v Watford game on Sunday and I was interested to see how Daniel James was getting on. I'd seen him play for Swansea against Leeds last season and although he had bags of pace, he didn't really create anything.

On Sunday, it was exactly the same. He sprinted down the wing a bunch of times, but there was no end product and I found myself wondering how Boyler would do in that league.

James must have something that made United want to reportedly pay him £67k a week, but I really don't know what he's got that Boyler doesn't.

He played 33 times for Swansea and only scored 4 times. He's had 26 games for Man U and scored 3.

I have to accept that he's probably a better player, but I don't really know why.

Edit: He's also got 6 assists this season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at the Man United v Watford game on Sunday and I was interested to see how Daniel James was getting on. I'd seen him play for Swansea against Leeds last season and although he had bags of pace, he didn't really create anything.

On Sunday, it was exactly the same. He sprinted down the wing a bunch of times, but there was no end product and I found myself wondering how Boyler would do in that league.

James must have something that made United want to reportedly pay him £67k a week, but I really don't know what he's got that Boyler doesn't.

He played 33 times for Swansea and only scored 4 times. He's had 26 games for Man U and scored 3.

I have to accept that he's probably a better player, but I don't really know why.

Love Boyle to bits, but Daniel James is a brilliant prospect and did well in the early part of the season. Swansea is my 'other' team and I was at the Leeds game you were talking about - the boy's head was all over the place as he had been linked with a move to Leeds, and all things considered he didn't do badly. The Leeds fans were even singing his name that night! After that match, he settled back down to show what a good player he is and earned his big move to United.
    Boyle is a class act for Hibs and would never put him down, but I think there will be plenty more to come from James in years to come, with United and Wales.

I think Doidge will be a better judge after the 2020 Euros
    Will he get better service from James or think
    Nah Boyler every day

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    I think Doidge will be a better judge after the 2020 Euros
    Will he get better service from James or think
    Nah Boyler every day
    Next week... Doidge v Rashford. Nae contest eh?! ;)

Just had to Google Daniel James as had never heard of him. 67k per week? Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    Love Boyle to bits, but Daniel James is a brilliant prospect and did well in the early part of the season. Swansea is my 'other' team and I was at the Leeds game you were talking about - the boy's head was all over the place as he had been linked with a move to Leeds, and all things considered he didn't do badly. The Leeds fans were even singing his name that night! After that match, he settled back down to show what a good player he is and earned his big move to United.
    Boyle is a class act for Hibs and would never put him down, but I think there will be plenty more to come from James in years to come, with United and Wales.
    That was a game which almost mirrored Leeds' season.

They were great for 80 minutes, but when the Swans unexpectedly scored, their bottle completely crashed albeit they held on.

I'll keep an eye on James given what you've said, but right now, my personal jury's out.

The Leeds fans were singing James' name to taunt the Swansea fans in the same way Rangers fans did to us about Scott Brown.

And with the same outcome!
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 24-02-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    Next week... Doidge v Rashford. Nae contest eh?! ;)
    Hopefully at the Euros we Are judging Griffiths v Rashford 👏

I think James has been played far too much and he’s burned out. His first dozen games were excellent and his stats would back that up but he’s been poor for a few months now.

Rashford being injured has forced their hand a bit but Man Utd are in danger of seriously mismanaging James if they don’t give him a spell out soon

Just look at how easily a very average premier League side in Newcastle beat us pre season.

I definitely like Boyle but he's at the right level currently.

I think opinions will differ depending on the level to which people Thomas Tank themselves over the English Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Just look at how easily a very average premier League side in Newcastle beat us pre season.

I definitely like Boyle but he's at the right level currently.
    Boyle didn't play against Newcastle.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

If a United fan had watched us on Saturday he wouldn’t have seen any end product from Boyle either.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Boyle didn't play against Newcastle.
    Yes, I'm aware of that.

My point is that game highlighted the big difference between the SPL and the premier league.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    I think opinions will differ depending on the level to which people Thomas Tank themselves over the English Premiership.
    Or how they ''Thomas tank'' themselves over Hibs?

Yes, I'm aware of that.

My point is that game highlighted the big difference between the SPL and the premier league.
    I thought the thread was a comparison between the ability of the 2 players, not which league is better. You picked an example of a game neither of them played in.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    If a United fan had watched us on Saturday he wouldn’t have seen any end product from Boyle either.
    True, he's been quiet for a few weeks now.

But that's sort of my point. They're both similar.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Just had to Google Daniel James as had never heard of him. 67k per week? Wow
    And just for clarity that = £3.5m per year. Before tax of course 😳

I'd seen him play for Swansea against Leeds last season and although he had bags of pace, he didn't really create anything.
    I think his head wasn't really in that Leeds game last year.

he was all set to sign for Leeds just 10 days before, but Swansea moved the goal posts with 15mins of the transfer window left. he had done medical, agreed terms, does the photo shoots the lot.

as it was he got a bigger move a couple of months later, so it worked out for him in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

Boyle just looked knackered for the whole game, made me think he wasn't feeling well, looked tired like he had a cold or something, but then again it may just of been a bad game

Left by mutual consent!
    Ryan Kent now £7m is beyond overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Ryan Kent now £7m is beyond overrated.
    By all accounts his stats aren’t great, but - whilst at the same time trying to block out the usual sycophantic media Sevco guff - every time I’ve seen him play he’s been an absolute menace. He’s quick and pulls teams all over the place with his direct running and on occasion has finished as well.

I hear a lot that he’s overrated but have never seen him that way.

“Head’s gone again” Morelos on the other hand...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    By all accounts his stats aren’t great, but - whilst at the same time trying to block out the usual sycophantic media Sevco guff - every time I’ve seen him play he’s been an absolute menace. He’s quick and pulls teams all over the place with his direct running and on occasion has finished as well.

I hear a lot that he’s overrated but have never seen him that way.

“Head’s gone again” Morelos on the other hand...
    Amazing isnt I havent really seen that, last time against us thought was poor He is not better than Boyle the fact he came from Liverpool is a factor in the fee. I do not think he is that good. Apparently he has zero assists this season.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 24-02-2020 at 05:29 PM.

I’m not bigging-up the EPL but James is certainly up against some stronger and faster defenders than squirrel and therefore making and taking chances will be more difficult. Whether that makes one better than the other it is impossible to judge imho. For what’s he contributed to Hibs boyler is priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    I’m not overly keen on English football but there’s no comparison really

As good as Boyle’s been for us since he’s came back he still isn’t as consistent as he should be or would probably want to be imo

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I thought the thread was a comparison between the ability of the 2 players, not which league is better. You picked an example of a game neither of them played in.
    Yes but a good spl player like Boyle is a long way off a decent premier League player like James. Big difference.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes but a good spl player like Boyle is a long way off a decent premier League player like James. Big difference.
    I agree. But actually I think Boyle has a lot of attributes that would work at that level....his pace would help and he has good technique ..

Could see a team taking a chance on him ....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    And just for clarity that = £3.5m per year. Before tax of course 😳
    Probably about right, in premier League terms he's worth that. Why is this still surprising folk? You'd need to go back probably 20 years for Man United's first choice right winger not to be making at least that.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post

Not really.

I watch little EPL these days but the quality gap between it and the SP-whatever our league is called is now massive.