hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There can't be many Hibs managers with a better away record than Jack Ross. For all he's (ridiculously, IMHO) had the 'boring' tag thrown at him, that's two times in three competitive games this season where we've scored 3 goals (and in one of those games, a better ref would have seen us score 5).

The point above about teaching the team how to defend crosses - Sky Sports said that we didn't concede from a single header last season, so probably not as much of an issue as is being made out (I haven't fact checked that stat, but I'm told that was what was said).

We are just off a European game, we played a very physical team today and stood up well to it, we came from behind twice and were (IMHO) unlucky not to win by more goals today.

He's about to get a record transfer fee for the club for a player that he managed into the first team, and his signings with the support of the recruitment team have, by and large, been exceptional.

Jack Ross is a very, very good manager. He needs the support of the fans behind him and there really is no good reason not to be, in my opinion. Today he spotted problems and opportunities and switched the team about to take advantage, and we were well worth our win. Players are improving under him and we will, I think, have another really good season. We won't win every game, but we'll beat most teams.
    This

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    There can't be many Hibs managers with a better away record than Jack Ross. For all he's (ridiculously, IMHO) had the 'boring' tag thrown at him, that's two times in three competitive games this season where we've scored 3 goals (and in one of those games, a better ref would have seen us score 5).

The point above about teaching the team how to defend crosses - Sky Sports said that we didn't concede from a single header last season, so probably not as much of an issue as is being made out (I haven't fact checked that stat, but I'm told that was what was said).

We are just off a European game, we played a very physical team today and stood up well to it, we came from behind twice and were (IMHO) unlucky not to win by more goals today.

He's about to get a record transfer fee for the club for a player that he managed into the first team, and his signings with the support of the recruitment team have, by and large, been exceptional.

Jack Ross is a very, very good manager. He needs the support of the fans behind him and there really is no good reason not to be, in my opinion. Today he spotted problems and opportunities and switched the team about to take advantage, and we were well worth our win. Players are improving under him and we will, I think, have another really good season. We won't win every game, but we'll beat most teams.
    We lost the cup final to a header. We also conceded two in the semi final against St Johnstone.

I’m not sure if there was more said about having ‘not conceded from a header’, for example if it was in the league only etc but we definitely lost goals from headers last season.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    I was impressed with Newell today.

Gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times in the first half but came on to a strong game.

Good bit of play from him in the build up to doidge's goal and was also getting forward more often than last season which was good to see.

Seemed more keen to take players on than usual today as well, skinned two of their defenders out by the corner flag on the right wing at one point.
    I thought he should have been off long before he came onto a game. Also very lucky not to get a booking. He has ability but doesn’t show it anywhere near enough for me. Would far rather Scott Allan played instead of him.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    We lost the cup final to a header. We also conceded two in the semi final against St Johnstone.

I’m not sure if there was more said about having ‘not conceded from a header’, for example if it was in the league only etc but we definitely lost goals from headers last season.
    It was just League games that were referred to.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

And all to do with the players on the park and nothing to do with Jack. A manager can only do so much once they've crossed the line, I've no idea why anyone would doubt this guy after what he's achieved in a short period of time with us. I hope he's here for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I thought he should have been off long before he came onto a game. Also very lucky not to get a booking. He has ability but doesn’t show it anywhere near enough for me. Would far rather Scott Allan played instead of him.
    He never got booked and ended up playing extremely well for the majority of the game. Ball retention is outstanding and got us moving up the park. Scott Allan in a midfield battle wasn’t the player for today. Quality footballer Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    He never got booked and ended up playing extremely well for the majority of the game. Ball retention is outstanding and got us moving up the park. Scott Allan in a midfield battle wasn’t the player for today. Quality footballer Newell.
    I agree 100% I love watching the guy when he's on song, very classy player imo.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    How can you compare someone who progressed us as a team and club the way Ross has with those chancers?
    Butcher, what's he done since and Heckingbottom another complete shyster

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHibby View Post
    Butcher, what's he done since and Heckingbottom another complete shyster
    I think you're doing a massive disservice to Hecky there, if Doidge had found his goalscoring touch when he was here, fine margins and all that.

We must have been watching a different game.

Thought Newell was non existent first half, other than passing it back the way. Much better second half when he played further up the park and started passing the ball forward. Agree, can’t believe he managed to avoid a booking though (didn’t mind the pull back, thought that was a good foul to stop them breaking though).

He never got booked, that’s fairly undeniable. There was a spell second half where we went from deep in our own half, couple of one twos later and he was on the ball in the right wing position. 92% pass success rate backs up the ball retention point also. First pick in the middle of the park and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Thought Newell was non existent first half, other than passing it back the way. Much better second half when he played further up the park and started passing the ball forward. Agree, can’t believe he managed to avoid a booking though (didn’t mind the pull back, thought that was a good foul to stop them breaking though).
    I think we had the same game on .

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Was great to see the players fans and coaching staff celebrating together at the end of the game with Jack front and centre of that. Was brilliant to see has anyone any footage of it?

He never got booked, that’s fairly undeniable. There was a spell second half where we went from deep in our own half, couple of one twos later and he was on the ball in the right wing position. 92% pass success rate backs up the ball retention point also. First pick in the middle of the park and rightly so.
    Why do you keep saying he never got booked as if I was saying he had been ? I said he was very lucky not to.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was great to see the players fans and coaching staff celebrating together at the end of the game with Jack front and centre of that. Was brilliant to see has anyone any footage of it?
    The post-match celebrations were the happiest I've ever seen Ross.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    You would have subbed him for misplacing two passes? And not Gogic who gave the ball away just as much and made two mistakes leading to goals?? Glad you're not the manager.

Allan and Newell are completely different players though - Allan has only every played as a 10 under Ross and Newell plays much deeper.

If we played Allan as deep as we play Newell our midfield would be much easier to play through as he's nowhere near as good defensively. Think Newell's defensive contributions get completely overlooked by some fans, had very good numbers for interceptions and tackles won per game last season.

Why do you keep saying he never got booked as if I was saying he had been ? I said he was very lucky not to.
    You are using that as a criticism. The only one he should’ve been booked for is the pull back which was a very good foul, and the fact he never got booked makes it even more so. Extremely intelligent and thankfully one of the first names on our team sheet week in week out!

Newell had a decent game and used the ball well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    You would have subbed him for misplacing two passes? And not Gogic who gave the ball away just as much and made two mistakes leading to goals?? Glad you're not the manager.

Allan and Newell are completely different players though - Allan has only every played as a 10 under Ross and Newell plays much deeper.

If we played Allan as deep as we play Newell our midfield would be much easier to play through as he's nowhere near as good defensively. Think Newell's defensive contributions get completely overlooked by some fans, had very good numbers for interceptions and tackles won per game last season.
    I’d have subbed him for his overall contribution, particularly in the first half, he improved towards the latter part of the game. Where did I disagree Gogic shouldn’t have been subbed ?

I’m not suggesting Newell and Allan are similar players, or should play in similar positions, what I am saying is Allan should be playing with perhaps JDH and Magennis, not Newell. As for Newell’s numbers I watch a player, not his stats.

I’d have subbed him for his overall contribution, particularly in the first half, he improved towards the latter part of the game. Where did I disagree Gogic shouldn’t have been subbed ?

I’m not suggesting Newell and Allan are similar players, or should play in similar positions, what I am saying is Allan should be playing with perhaps JDH and Magennis, not Newell. As for Newell’s numbers I watch a player, not his stats.
    Thankfully your not the gaffer. Very rarely did we dominate the ball last season, we did so yesterday and that was mainly to do with Newell dictating it in the middle of the park.

If we start with Allan Magennis will have to play further back, then we lose his benefit. It’s going to be tricky to get them both on the park in their best positions.

Thankfully your not the gaffer. Very rarely did we dominate the ball last season, we did so yesterday and that was mainly to do with Newell dictating it in the middle of the park.
    Thankfully you’re not either if you think Newell was dictating things in the middle of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    If we start with Allan Magennis will have to play further back, then we lose his benefit. It’s going to be tricky to get them both on the park in their best positions.
    Agree, it’s tricky, but I want to see a Hibs team that can find a place for Scott Allan, he’s too big a talent to be sitting on the bench. If he’s totally healthy, possibly for the first time in years there is no reason why we can’t see the best of him.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    And all to do with the players on the park and nothing to do with Jack. A manager can only do so much once they've crossed the line, I've no idea why anyone would doubt this guy after what he's achieved in a short period of time with us. I hope he's here for years to come.
    Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with that it’s not the point I was making. I was merely pointing out that the stat wasnt correct until it was pointed out it was just about league games. Not really interested in turning this into a thread as to whether to doubt Jack Ross or not.

It was just League games that were referred to.
    We didn’t concede a headed goal in 38 league games? That’s an unbelievable achievement. I must admit I thought we were fairly weak against crosses last season so clearly lots were scored from knockdowns or second balls or I just wasn’t paying as much attention as I thought I was

Thankfully you’re not either if you think Newell was dictating things in the middle of the park.
    Newell will play week after week, Hibs will win far more than they will lose. He had the best pass completion rate on the park, he had the most touches other than Porteous and McGinn, made the most key passes in a Hibs jersey.

Only those two made more tackles, only Stevenson made more interceptions, broke up play to allow us to continue attacking and only Boyle completed more dribbles.

Whether you like stats or not, after a shaky twenty minutes, which I’ll put down to slightly rusty from not playing during the week, he was very good yesterday and was a key man in our win.

Newell will play week after week, Hibs will win far more than they will lose. He had the best pass completion rate on the park, he had the most touches other than Porteous and McGinn, made the most key passes in a Hibs jersey.

Only those two made more tackles, only Stevenson made more interceptions, broke up play to allow us to continue attacking and only Boyle completed more dribbles.

Whether you like stats or not, after a shaky twenty minutes, which I’ll put down to slightly rusty from not playing during the week, he was very good yesterday and was a key man in our win.
    We can agree to disagree of your assessment of Newell.

@hibs.net private member
    Newell does a lot better without Gogic in the team imo. First half both seemed to sit deep and we struggled to get going.

We need more of the Newell from the second half. He played a huge part in that second goal by driving forward and then playing the less obvious pass into Nisbet rather than Doidge who was straight ahead of him. Newell is wasted sitting on the half way line imo, particularly when Gogic is standing right next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Newell does a lot better without Gogic in the team imo. First half both seemed to sit deep and we struggled to get going.

We need more of the Newell from the second half. He played a huge part in that second goal by driving forward and then playing the less obvious pass into Nisbet rather than Doidge who was straight ahead of him. Newell is wasted sitting on the half way line imo, particularly when Gogic is standing right next to him.
    That I agree with. Despite my criticism of Newell I think he has talent, just not seeing what others are in terms of performances.