hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ofir Marciano

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh yes. Better saves, less errors.
    I think he’s in the same class as all the keepers you mentioned. He has made a few errors but the quality of saves he’s made are really quite incredible.... not sure I’ve seen a goalie with a highlight reel like his.

People are very misty eyed about Goram in particular - he made a decent amount of bad mistakes at Hibs as well as some incredible stops. I wouldn’t say Rocky is definitely better than our Scottish internationals but he’s up there with them. I think Bogdan has been terrific too- we’ve been spoiled this year.

Honestly mate im being entirely serious! Leighton and Goram for sure were more likely to drop a clanger.

And Rockys best saves have been better than any of them. 3 seasons of top quality saves and match winning/points gaining performances.

I'll finish by saying they were all amazing keepers
    Goram used to have performances like that most weeks. Rocky is a great keeper but Goram was the best I’ve seen

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    10/10 today , 1 mistake could have cost us but went unpunished , strolled rest of game and some of those saves wow 😮

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    I think he’s in the same class as all the keepers you mentioned. He has made a few errors but the quality of saves he’s made are really quite incredible.... not sure I’ve seen a goalie with a highlight reel like his.

People are very misty eyed about Goram in particular - he made a decent amount of bad mistakes at Hibs as well as some incredible stops. I wouldn’t say Rocky is definitely better than our Scottish internationals but he’s up there with them. I think Bogdan has been terrific too- we’ve been spoiled this year.
    I think people forget how many mistakes Goram and Leighton made.

Definitely.

Not to say they weren’t both fantastic though😀

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely outstanding from Rocky today.

His form's been very good generally with a major improvement in his distribution since his return from injury making him a much better all round player- he was always a cracking shot stopper though - but today!

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    I'm 30. So seen a lot of dross in my time. Marciano for me is the best I've seen. His shot stopping ability is second to none And if it wasn't for Mallan he'd be my player of the year for sure.

Left by mutual consent!
    Our best keeper since Jim Leighton. We will be lucky to keep him

Even the best keepers make the odd mistake , aka de Gea against Barca but it’s the strength in character to come back after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not trying to be wide but I cannot recall many mistakes by Goram and Leighton playing for HIBS

Both were top Keepers that always got their angles correct were professional about their business and took great satisfaction from clean sheets

I can recall many from Rocky but his memory is of course more recent

Rocky however since PH came in has been nothing short of sensational

His form shot stopping and confidence in the box has been outstanding and his distribution has improved beyond all recognition

I feel sorry for Adam Bogdan another excellent goalkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Goram used to have performances like that most weeks. Rocky is a great keeper but Goram was the best I’ve seen
    Agreed. For a couple of years around the early to mid-90’s you could’ve made a case for Goram being the best in the world.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Any body got the highlights of rockys sensational saves in second half.

I've argued before that the position of goalkeeper has evolved so much over the years, and massively in a short period of time, that comparing keepers from different generations is very difficult.

One of the major difference is goalkeepers have to be footballers nowadays. Someone like Edwin Van Der Sar was a brilliant passer of the ball and very comfortable receiving a pass in a tight spot. Whilst Andy Goram adapted to that side of the game after the pass back rule was changed, Jim Leighton never really did. There's no way Leighton could have played out from the back the way the modern game demands. He worked exceptionally hard on his kicking in training but it just wasn't natural to him.

You also have to look at the sheer physical size of the top goalkeepers over the last decade or so:

Buffon - 6'4"
    Van Der Sar - 6'5"
    Courtois - 6'6"
    Oblak - 6'2"
    De Gea - 6'4"
    Lloris - 6'2"
    Neurer - 6'4"
    Ter Stegen -6'2"
    Cech - 6'6"

Even a guy like Cassilas who was considered a smaller goalkeeper was 6'1". Would Andy Goram at 5'11" have coped with the physical demands of the modern keeper? Again to reference Van Der Sar; he weighed 12kg (approx 2 stone) more at the end of his career than he did at the start but his body fat percentage was lower. It was all lean muscle.

I love the history of goalkeeping and have a near obsession with watching old clips. Watching videos of guys like Banks, Yashin, Shilton, Schmeichel and so on is brilliant and their contribution to the evolution of the position is huge but the sheer agility and athleticism of the modern day goalkeeper is a whole new level.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Try here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/48008384

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Here's a set of clips focused purely on Marciano's saves that game.
    https://twitter.com/hfcnufc/status/1119991290685476865

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I do wonder why he’s not playing for a mid table EPL team. He’s phenomenal.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I do wonder why he’s not playing for a mid table EPL team. He’s phenomenal.
    Think it's only a matter of time before a bigger club comes in for him, especially if he keeps up his current form

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    How long does he have left on his contract?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    How long does he have left on his contract?
    Two years. We could probably get a decent enough fee.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Not trying to be wide but I cannot recall many mistakes by Goram and Leighton playing for HIBS

Both were top Keepers that always got their angles correct were professional about their business and took great satisfaction from clean sheets

I can recall many from Rocky but his memory is of course more recent

Rocky however since PH came in has been nothing short of sensational

His form shot stopping and confidence in the box has been outstanding and his distribution has improved beyond all recognition

I feel sorry for Adam Bogdan another excellent goalkeeper
    Goram was nick named "The Dud" by his teammates in the early days due to some ropey performances, evidence on youtube costing us big time in a derby at Tynie with a mistake.

Leighton also had a horrendous derby at ER when
    Colin Cameron ripped us apart, other poor game v Kimarnock in cup sticks out, he had a howler of a game that day.

Thats just off top of ma heed, but let me reiterate they were brilliant for Hibs.

I think goalies got away with more back then - every mistake now is documented with cameras at every game and discusions on forums and twitter etc. No hiding these days!

So the fact i think Rocky is better than them is high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Two years. We could probably get a decent enough fee.
    Don't forget the rumoured 50% sell on fee though.

Goram was nick named "The Dud" by his teammates in the early days due to some ropey performances, evidence on youtube costing us big time in a derby at Tynie with a mistake.

Colin Cameron ripped us apart, other poor game v Kimarnock in cup sticks out, he had a howler of a game that day.

Thats just off top of ma heed, but let me reiterate they were brilliant for Hibs.

I think goalies got away with more back then - every mistake now is documented with cameras at every game and discusions on forums and twitter etc. No hiding these days!

Goram was nicknamed “ The Goalie” for a reason

Tommy Burns once said etch “ Andy Goram broke my heart on my tombstone.”

I will give you the Paul Wright howitzers that came down wi sna on them versus Jim Leighton for Killie in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road

Hibs up to a certain time were spoiled for choice for good goalkeepers

Goram and Leighton are up there with the best 134 caps for Scotland between them

The total might have been more for Goram but he threw a wobbly

Both at certain times in their careers being hailed as among the best in the world

Rocky better than Goram and Leighton?

I had to check the calendar April Fools Day was the start of the month

Rocky has been totally outstanding since PH came in but without even thinking about it too hard :

Christie near post free kick Hampden Park

Freddo near post Christmas past last year versus t Hun

St Johnstone away..... well we will forget that

Aberdeen away 4-1 defeat though Efe culpable

I watched Goram home and away and I can honestly say he was worth 12 points a season the same can be said for Leighton

I honestly do not know how Leighton is not more lauded at HIBS but have to admit his kicking was ropey

The best way I can sum it up is with Goram and Leighton you knew you were as safe as houses with them Rocky and Bogdan you always feel that there is a clanger lurking around the corner though I must say I haven’t felt that about Rocky recently and his kicking has improved beyond recognition thanks to PH and his attention to detail that and having a settled defence

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Best goalkeeper at the club by some distance.

Sorry but Rocky has a long way to go before he can be considered along side those two. Both played at top teams for 12 - 15 years in lLeightons case probaly longer. Yes they both made mistakes ALL keepers do. If Rocky is playing in the EPL or Champs league on a regular basis and performing well in 6 or 7 years time than there may be and arguement to be had until then Leighton and Goram imho are well ahead of him.

As with most debates of this kind your age will alot of the time dictate who you view as the better player. Older folk tend to say Pele, Maradona ect whereas the younger generation will say Messi , Ronaldo ect.

I don't think it's that crazy a suggestion to say Marciano is on Leighton's level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Sorry but Rocky has a long way to go before he can be considered along side those two. Both played at top teams for 12 - 15 years in lLeightons case probaly longer. Yes they both made mistakes ALL keepers do. If Rocky is playing in the EPL or Champs league on a regular basis and performing well in 6 or 7 years time than there may be and arguement to be had until then Leighton and Goram imho are well ahead of him.
    This, Leighton was immense, as was Goram, but Leighton for me. he was immense year after year after year, head a bad patch. I will get back to you´s after I have seen 10 years of Ofir playing consistantly well at top level and international.
    Oh but must add, what a goalie to have at Hibs just now...
    Last edited by Phil MaGlass; 23-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    As with most debates of this kind your age will alot of the time dictate who you view as the better player. Older folk tend to say Pele, Maradona ect whereas the younger generation will say Messi , Ronaldo ect.

I don't think it's that crazy a suggestion to say Marciano is on Leighton's level.
    To suggest Rocky is better than Leighton or Goram is simply nuts

Almost as bad as saying Olly is the new Steven Fletcher

Rocky is on a run of nine good games

Leighton and Goram had years and years of continued consistant success at the highest level

Dearie me !

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He's a great goalie.

I wonder if we look back how many points he's been worth this season?

1 on Sunday for starters.

Commanded his box well enough against Hearts - worth giving him 2 for that?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    To suggest Rocky is better than Leighton or Goram is simply nuts

Almost as bad as saying Olly is the new Steven Fletcher

Rocky is on a run of nine good games

Leighton and Goram had years and years of continued consistant success at the highest level

Dearie me !
    Maybe the comparisons should come down to their time at Hibernian as an individual club. Rocky is performing just as well as Jim ever done here.