hibs.net Messageboard

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Hibs v The Hun

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye we all know about it, but according to him he’s fit and healthy and good to go. I don’t see him doing anything differently to before he had that. He used to create and score goals (which he does now) and wasn’t the best when we didn’t have it (which he isn’t now). I don’t think that’s why he’s not being used more.
    You genuinly don't see a physical difference in Scott Allan from then to now?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    10 points is a minimum for the next four League games and I know every game is a must win but Saturday is a big one.
    I think it's pretty unfair to suggest 10 points is a minimum from those games.

We could take 8 points and be sitting within 3/4 points of Hearts heading into the Xmas week. I would say anything within 6 points of 3rd place ahead of the winter break would be a good result after the Covid break and various other issues we've had.

Edit - I do agree though that Saturday feels like a "must win".

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    You genuinly don't see a physical difference in Scott Allan from then to now?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    He looks slightly heavier. I don’t see him doing anything different in his time on the pitch though. If anything, his contribution is more consistent in relation to number of minutes on the pitch.

Aye we all know about it, but according to him he’s fit and healthy and good to go. I don’t see him doing anything differently to before he had that. He used to create and score goals (which he does now) and wasn’t the best when we didn’t have it (which he isn’t now). I don’t think that’s why he’s not being used more.
    Allan is obviously a yard off the pace compared to earlier in his career, and can no longer handle a high intensity 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Allan is obviously a yard off the pace compared to earlier in his career, and can no longer handle a high intensity 90 minutes.
    I don’t see it. I really don’t.

He’s handled the few games he’s started absolutely fine but that seems to be getting totally overlooked. And also, if you look back to when he played previously, he was subbed with a fair degree of regularity.

He could be sharper but he’ll only get that with games. He wouldn’t have made the contribution he has when he’s played this season if he was really a yard off it.

@hibs.net private member
    Could he handle that high intensity 90 minutes even in his early Hibs career?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    The problem is that he’s inconsistent at that too.

In the cup game vs Dundee United he got himself about a lot and got his goal and was brilliant. Against St Johnstone he was influential.

In the 0-3 league loss against Dundee United he was honking and hooked at half time. I don’t know if it’s attitude or fitness but when we have a consistent midfield three out of options of Newell, Campbell, JDH and Maggenis I don’t see where his place in the team is.

I’ve loved his time at the club, we have some great memories of his time here but I’m not going to be gutted if he moves on when his contract expires.
    I'd go along with the inconsistent angle here.

Sometimes he's looked perfectly normal, just like the Scott Allan of old - never loved getting stuck into the defensive side of the game but had a great drop of the shoulder, a wee burst of pace and a terrific weight of pass.

On occasion he's looked chunky, sluggish and frankly miles off the pace.

It did take him a few months to get up to speed when he first joined but once he was up to speed he was almost unstoppable at times.

I can't make my mind up about his long-term value but from week to week I don't know if he's going to be chunky and sluggish or having the sort of end product that other midfielders can only dream of having.

As a romantic and a fan, I'd be inclined to find space in the team for him every week. My livelihood doesn't depend on the team I pick winning football matches though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    He should have been given 20 minutes yesterday off the high of being part of two assists and a win on Saturday, as should Murphy have. Not even in hindsight, simply because both would have made The Rangers think, and the crowd would have got a burst in energy for that period I reckon.

Motherwell game is a right tough fixture and having watched their game v United on Tuesday they’re going to be up for it. Hopefully that waterlogged pitch caused a few more aches and strains than we would have picked up last night.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    He should have been given 20 minutes yesterday off the high of being part of two assists and a win on Saturday, as should Murphy have. Not even in hindsight, simply because both would have made The Rangers think, and the crowd would have got a burst in energy for that period I reckon.

Motherwell game is a right tough fixture and having watched their game v United on Tuesday they’re going to be up for it. Hopefully that waterlogged pitch caused a few more aches and strains than we would have picked up last night.
    Higher calibre of opposition but I thought it was very similar to the Ross County game. Comfortable in the second half but not really doing anything and the game drifting a bit. Both games crying out for something a bit different if you want to go on to try and win it but that something different only comes as a reaction when it’s too late.

Both teams brought on subs who, albeit with a bit of fortune, scored a goal to turn one point in to three. I think we need to be a bit braver or we’ll continue to struggle in front of goal.

I don’t see it. I really don’t.

He’s handled the few games he’s started absolutely fine but that seems to be getting totally overlooked. And also, if you look back to when he played previously, he was subbed with a fair degree of regularity.

He could be sharper but he’ll only get that with games. He wouldn’t have made the contribution he has when he’s played this season if he was really a yard off it.
    I do think he's physical capabilities have dropped off IMO. He was never a John McGinn type player but he used to have a turn of pace and could ride physical challenges.

I think he's probably regressed in that area.

Even with that drop off he's still our most creative player after Boyle. I'm not sure if that says more about him or the squad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I do think he's physical capabilities have dropped off IMO. He was never a John McGinn type player but he used to have a turn of pace and could ride physical challenges.

I think he's probably regressed in that area.

Even with that drop off he's still our most creative player after Boyle. I'm not sure if that says more about him or the squad though.
    He’s going to have lost a bit of something from hardly playing in a year. He can still go past folk as we’ve seen as recently as Saturday, not just the goal but he’s had a burst to the byline and cut back for Murphy a minute before that as well.. Games to get more sharpness and I don’t think it’d be an issue based on what I’ve seen when he’s got on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    He could at least handle 90 minutes previously but is nowhere near that these days.

@hibs.net private member
    He could at least handle 90 minutes previously but is nowhere near that these days.
    How do we know that? Get him games and get his match fitness to its peak and see where that takes him/us.

I’d rather we got a good hour out of someone likely to create/score goals than continue with the current midfield 3 who don’t give us either

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

He was regularly one of the first to be subbed even in his first spell with us.

I’m not sure we’ve ever seen him as a 90 minute player.

Coaching Staff
    Higher calibre of opposition but I thought it was very similar to the Ross County game. Comfortable in the second half but not really doing anything and the game drifting a bit. Both games crying out for something a bit different if you want to go on to try and win it but that something different only comes as a reaction when it’s too late.

Both teams brought on subs who, albeit with a bit of fortune, scored a goal to turn one point in to three. I think we need to be a bit braver or we’ll continue to struggle in front of goal.
    Totally agree BHFC and you’ve encapsulated what I was trying to say really.

I want Jack to be braver and make more of a statement of intent when games are level. No manager, player or fan is comfortable at 0-0 either, certainly not this Hibs fan. I’m not faulting the effort and industry yesterday, just Jack’s apparent reluctance to make offensively minded changes when games are in the balance. It’s that kind of thing that can hurt opponents psychologically too and cause them to adapt. He’s a good manager, and he’s learning all the time about these players too, but frustration will mount unless he becomes more clinical and flexible. Not gung-ho, but shifting away from conservatism at crucial points in games. It’s just my outlook on football, rather go for the win attaching and if we lose doing so, we’ll, we went for it. I think The Rangers got out of jail yesterday.

Longest he’s spent on the park this season was 85 minutes v St Johnstone. We managed to avoid being overrun, despite his lack of legs, and he was our best player on the day.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I clearly never said that.

My point is that to win with that set up you need the first goal IMO. It went perfectly. Beyond perfectly.

Obviously we executed it well and I think he was right to go with the same team as the semi final last night. I don’t, however, think that is the way to play every week which we’re currently trying to do.
    Its not our aim to play like that every week, thats obvious. Against lesser teams we at least have an even share of the ball or more. Against Rangers and hopefully Celtic in a few weeks we play a higher press, sit a bit deeper and try to turn the ball around quickly so Boyle can use his pace.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Longest he’s spent on the park this season was 85 minutes v St Johnstone. We managed to avoid being overrun, despite his lack of legs, and he was our best player on the day.
    As a one off game though. I have my doubts whether or not he could play a near 90 minutes in a consecutive run of games in a tight schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Its not our aim to play like that every week, thats obvious. Against lesser teams we at least have an even share of the ball or more. Against Rangers and hopefully Celtic in a few weeks we play a higher press, sit a bit deeper and try to turn the ball around quickly so Boyle can use his pace.
    We set up with the same team against Ross County and St Johnstone (except Gullan in for Boyle) as we did against Rangers. Same players, same shape. Naturally you have a bit more of the ball but no great difference in the way we played for me and lacking in quality in the final third.

As a one off game though. I have my doubts whether or not he could play a near 90 minutes in a consecutive run of games in a tight schedule.
    It was one game but it was less than 72 hours since he’d played over an hour at Tannadice, scoring and assisting, which was four days after he’d come on and changed the game at home to St Mirren and got man of the match despite only playing 45 minutes.

If he has a run of games and doesn’t do anything, fair enough. I don’t think he’s had that opportunity though.

Sad that our most technically gifted player can’t get a look in

Chucked on with 4 minutes to play was a disgrace

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    We talk about opportunities but you have to take them. Scott Allan worked his way back into the team and then put in an absolutely honking display against Dundee United.

Against Celtic, Josh Campbell got a chance and took it with both hands. He - along with the other two midfielders - have been excellent since and don't deserve to lose their starting place.

Scott showed he still deserves an opportunity when one of the starting three slip up against St Johnstone but he'll have to wait.

The consistency of JDH, Newell and Campbell has been very impressive.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

It was one game but it was less than 72 hours since he’d played over an hour at Tannadice, scoring and assisting, which was four days after he’d come on and changed the game at home to St Mirren and got man of the match despite only playing 45 minutes.
    Sounds as though he's potentially at his best when not being asked to play 90 minutes. He undoubtedly would have benefited from playing 30 minutes less in 1 game and 45 minutes less in the other.

The club monitor fitness levels and track each player methodically. I'd be surprised if they didn't know what his limitations physically are.

We talk about opportunities but you have to take them. Scott Allan worked his way back into the team and then put in an absolutely honking display against Dundee United.

Against Celtic, Josh Campbell got a chance and took it with both hands. He - along with the other two midfielders - have been excellent since and don't deserve to lose their starting place.

Scott showed he still deserves an opportunity when one of the starting three slip up against St Johnstone but he'll have to wait.

The consistency of JDH, Newell and Campbell has been very impressive.
    The whole team were honking against Dundee Utd. Then most of them were honking at Aberdeen the next week and at home to Celtic a few days later. Allan seems to be held to a different standard.

The whole team were honking against Dundee Utd. Then most of them were honking at Aberdeen the next week and at home to Celtic a few days later. Allan seems to be held to a different standard.
    You're very right about that last sentence.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Sounds as though he's potentially at his best when not being asked to play 90 minutes. He undoubtedly would have benefited from playing 30 minutes less in 1 game and 45 minutes less in the other.

The club monitor fitness levels and track each player methodically. I'd be surprised if they didn't know what his limitations physically are.
    I’d look at it the other way and say he was just building things up nicely. 45, 65, then pretty much a full game.

What he’s playing at the moment isn’t his limitations, no chance. He’s not getting more minutes for footballing reasons IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Mueller and Tait both look like promising signings. The key is using them properly.
    But untested at this level It will take them time to adjust so a bit of patience may be needed
    If we fall to far behind the third placed team by start of transfer window there may be a temptation to go for short term signings with experience to try and claw back the deficit
    I would rather we keep our eye on the medium to longer term and stick to recruiting promising young talent for the future with the odd player with A few years experience that we think k we can make a better player and who would improve the team eg McGrath from st Mirren
    Clearly if we have to sell someone this window then we need a like for like replacement if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're very right about that last sentence.
    Aye, can’t understand why the midfielder who has probably most consistently done his job this season seems to be so overlooked. Still, all the runners and grafters will soon fill those empty seats up at ER I’m sure.

I’d look at it the other way and say he was just building things up nicely. 45, 65, then pretty much a full game.

What he’s playing at the moment isn’t his limitations, no chance. He’s not getting more minutes for footballing reasons IMO.
    I'd have to disagree. If Scott Allan had the fitness levels of Josh Campbell or Kyle Mageniss (or indeed Newell) then he'd be starting.

Aye, can’t understand why the midfielder who has probably most consistently done his job this season seems to be so overlooked. Still, all the runners and grafters will soon fill those empty seats up at ER I’m sure.
    Scott Allan isn't a consistent player. If he was, at his peak he'd have been on a massive sum in the Premiership down south.