hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Hibs v The Hun

@hibs.net private member
    Just seen the replay of the penalty incident, thought it looked like one from the east stand and the replay has confirmed it. Clear contact, irrelevant how slight it was, we’d be screaming for that if it had been one of our players. Feel for Ryan because he was having a great game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just seen the replay of the penalty incident, thought it looked like one from the east stand and the replay has confirmed it. Clear contact, irrelevant how slight it was, we’d be screaming for that if it had been one of our players. Feel for Ryan because he was having a great game.
    There was a slight touch but there was the camera angle right behind the ref so was perfect for his view, this showed no contact slowed down or normal speed so the ref guessed.

I reckon that's why he never booked him.

My issue was you could see he was giving them a game changing decision and then it came.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Ross's interview just annoys me, laughing about the penalty incident. Wish he would show some balls, he's too nice.
    What’s he meant to say? It’s a penalty all day long? You want him to lay into Porteous in public?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t believe people are criticising Ross. 3rd in the league and a couple of cup finals in the last couple of years is a fantastic record.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Can’t believe people are criticising Ross. 3rd in the league and a couple of cup finals in the last couple of years is a fantastic record.

It’s just the way football is. I’ve seen Callum Davidson get stick from St Johnstone fans this season because they have been poor. Can’t deny this league campaign hasn’t been very good, JR will admit that himself, and we need to start picking up results if we want to stay in touch with those above us and compete for Europe.

I don’t think he deserves much criticism for last night though, I can see why he didn’t make any changes.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought both teams were excellent tonight. The pressing from both teams was outstanding and that’s why it was turned over so much. That was a good performance form Hibs.
    Porteous was outstanding right up till the second he cost us the game and after that it doesn’t matter how good he was. Needs to cut out these errors.

Agree with this. Cadden had kept Kent penned back all game but this time Chris was up the pitch, Kent got free and Porto got drawn in.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It’s just the way football is. I’ve seen Callum Davidson get stick from St Johnstone fans this season because they have been poor. Can’t deny this league campaign hasn’t been very good, JR will admit that himself, and we need to start picking up results if we want to stay in touch with those above us and compete for Europe.

I don’t think he deserves much criticism for last night though, I can see why he didn’t make any changes.
    Quite frankly I consider Scott Allan a notable downgrade on the three midfielders who started. He has a blinder of a game every so often but not often enough to warrant an automatic starting place.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Quite frankly I consider Scott Allan a notable downgrade on the three midfielders who started. He has a blinder of a game every so often but not often enough to warrant an automatic starting place.
    Certainly not a downgrade in terms of creating chances, something we failed to make of any note last night. And given he’s often only brought on for 5-10 minutes at the end of games how is he expected to warrant an automatic starting place ?

And fwiw I probably would have started with last night’s team, but I certainly didn’t expect the Huns to allow us to do what we did to them at Hampden, so I was looking for a change to be made much earlier than we did. I agree with those who view Ross as a cautious manager.
    Last edited by jeffers; 02-12-2021 at 10:02 AM.

You’re comparing totally different players. We don’t look like we will score goals with that midfield three because we have next to no creativity. He does stuff for they can’t do and they do stuff he doesn’t do. Balance of the three is wrong.

Folk are getting carried away with needing legs in the team and forgetting you need to score goals to win games at the moment IMO. There seems to be an idea that if someone like Allan was to play any part against a team like Rangers we’d be overrun and totally fold. We were totally controlling the game at Ibrox with him in the team until the red card and managing to do both sides of the game though.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 02-12-2021 at 10:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We need more than two wins from our next four if we have aspirations of pushing up the league and competing for third.
    That was the circumstances in which I would have suggested he was in danger of being sacked, not of where we want to be as a club.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

You’re comparing totally different players. We don’t score goals with that midfield three because we have next to no creativity. He does stuff for they can’t do and they do stuff he doesn’t do. Balance of the three is wrong.

Folk are getting carried away with needing legs in the team and forgetting you need to score goals to win games at the moment IMO. There seems to be an idea that if someone like Allan was to play any part against a team like Rangers we’d be overrun and totally fold. We were totally controlling the game at Ibrox with him in the team until the red card and managing to do both sides of the game though.
    We scored three against Rangers last time out with that midfield three.

People equate Scott Allan of 2021 with the Scott Allan of 2017 and they’re not the same player.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    You’re comparing totally different players. We don’t score goals with that midfield three because we have next to no creativity. He does stuff for they can’t do and they do stuff he doesn’t do. Balance of the three is wrong.

I don’t want to restart the Scott Allan debate and I know we are on the same page regarding him. It’s fair to say though that the midfield doesn’t have anywhere near enough creativity or goal threat and if Magennis was fit Josh Campbell wouldn’t be starting.

I agree but that's football. Win and everyone is happy. Lets hope that's how we all feel on Saturday evening.

We scored three against Rangers last time out with that midfield three.

People equate Scott Allan of 2021 with the Scott Allan of 2017 and they’re not the same player.
    That game fell perfect for us. That midfield three doesn’t get us scoring and up the league IMO.

It’s nothing to do with looking at the Allan of years ago. Folk are disregarding his positive contributions this year.

Apart from playing less, what is so different to the 17/18 version?
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 02-12-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I don’t want to restart the Scott Allan debate and I know we are on the same page regarding him. It’s fair to say though that the midfield doesn’t have anywhere near enough creativity or goal threat and if Magennis was fit Josh Campbell wouldn’t be starting.
    Agree. For me it’s not about having Scott Allan in the team. It’s about having someone who can do something in the final third. As I’ve said, I just think the balance is wrong and we’re getting too hung up on players doing the other side of the game.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Last night was hard working and no lack of effort. What let JR down, and he’s done this before - a sheer lack of ‘reading the room’ and capitalising psychologically when we’ve had players coming off a high. By that I mean after 70 minutes, putting Murphy and Allan on, after their match winning performances on Saturday, would have lifted the crowd, caused The Rangers to rethink formation, and given us a right good chance of winning, having two lads who must have been chomping at the bit to get on.

Jack is a good manager, but he’ll never win me over with his constant conservatism and counter attack approach - if he wants to succeed here and beyond Hibs he must start being more adventurous in his game decision making and also look at signing real creativity in the midfield area. That’s where we are desperately lacking.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

He doesn’t have an automatic starting place though.

What he does still possess is the ability to unlock an opponent’s defence and make an impact. He should have had 30 mins last night, not 5.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Last night was hard working and no lack of effort. What let JR down, and he’s done this before - a sheer lack of ‘reading the room’ and capitalising psychologically when we’ve had players coming off a high. By that I mean after 70 minutes, putting Murphy and Allan on, after their match winning performances on Saturday, would have lifted the crowd, caused The Rangers to rethink formation, and given us a right good chance of winning, having two lads who must have been chomping at the bit to get on.

Jack is a good manager, but he’ll never win me over with his constant conservatism and counter attack approach - if he wants to succeed here and beyond Hibs he must start being more adventurous in his game decision making and also look at signing real creativity in the midfield area. That’s where we are desperately lacking.

Mueller and Tait both look like promising signings. The key is using them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post

We tried to get in McGrath and will be bringing in Tait in January, I think Ross knows we need a more creative midfield.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

That game fell perfect for us. That midfield three doesn’t get us scoring and up the league IMO.

It’s nothing to do with looking at the Allan of years ago. Folk are disregarding his positive contributions this year.

So the game fell perfectly and it was nothing to do with what Ross and Hibs actually did?

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    How far does it go until hibs genuianly consider Ross is the common denominator?

6 defeats in 7

Like, genuianly?
    I think that's genuinely bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    So the game fell perfectly and it was nothing to do with what Ross and Hibs actually did?

Are you trying to start a row too?

We were well set up and in a decent shape. We grew into the game in the second half but failed to seize the initiative when we were on top.

Trying to goad people by demanding complete loyalty to JR or nothing is ridiculous. He’s a decent manager, but his unwillingness at times to let us off the leash is infuriating.

Left by mutual consent!
    We were in a position to win the game with 15 minutes to go.

We ultimately didn't sieze the opportunity in front of us and took nothing from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    How far does it go until hibs genuianly consider Ross is the common denominator?

6 defeats in 7

Like, genuianly?
    Everyone is the common denominator. No one has joined or left in that time.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar

A serious heart condition.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    He doesn’t have an automatic starting place though.

What he does still possess is the ability to unlock an opponent’s defence and make an impact. He should have had 30 mins last night, not 5.
    The problem is that he’s inconsistent at that too.

In the cup game vs Dundee United he got himself about a lot and got his goal and was brilliant. Against St Johnstone he was influential.

In the 0-3 league loss against Dundee United he was honking and hooked at half time. I don’t know if it’s attitude or fitness but when we have a consistent midfield three out of options of Newell, Campbell, JDH and Maggenis I don’t see where his place in the team is.

I’ve loved his time at the club, we have some great memories of his time here but I’m not going to be gutted if he moves on when his contract expires.

We need more than two wins from our next four if we have aspirations of pushing up the league and competing for third.
    10 points is a minimum for the next four League games and I know every game is a must win but Saturday is a big one.

The problem is that he’s inconsistent at that too.

In the cup game vs Dundee United he got himself about a lot and got his goal and was brilliant. Against St Johnstone he was influential.

In the 0-3 league loss against Dundee United he was honking and hooked at half time. I don’t know if it’s attitude or fitness but when we have a consistent midfield three out of options of Newell, Campbell, JDH and Maggenis I don’t see where his place in the team is.

I’ve loved his time at the club, we have some great memories of his time here but I’m not going to be gutted if he moves on when his contract expires.

Well, his place last night was on the bench, ready to come on and affect the game if called upon.

In this 3-5-2 formation his natural position is right there, behind the strikers.

Of course none of us have seen him in training this week and know what condition he’s in. But Jack did call on him eventually - the frustration for me is that he didn’t do it sooner.

I clearly never said that.

My point is that to win with that set up you need the first goal IMO. It went perfectly. Beyond perfectly.

Obviously we executed it well and I think he was right to go with the same team as the semi final last night. I don’t, however, think that is the way to play every week which we’re currently trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    A serious heart condition.
    Aye we all know about it, but according to him he’s fit and healthy and good to go. I don’t see him doing anything differently to before he had that. He used to create and score goals (which he does now) and wasn’t the best when we didn’t have it (which he isn’t now). I don’t think that’s why he’s not being used more.