hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. Don’t understand why a few are so keen to make this about Neville being a hypocrite. Every ex player and pundit working for sky sports are *****ing loaded through football, we know that. It would be disappointing if they were not using the platform they have through this employment to say the right things.

Neville is very much saying the right things in my opinion. Regardless of whether he made a lot of money playing at the top level.
    Neville is a majoirty shareholder in Salford who literally bought their way to skip through several tiers of the English football pyramid.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    seems like this is an opportunity for a few big name footballers to become heroes. If Messi and Ronaldo in particular had any integrity, they would come out and say that they think this is an appalling idea and that they will not play for any club that is part of it. They are near the end of their careers anyway, their contracts with Bercelona and Juventus will be over by the time this new league is due to start and they have made more money than they can possibly spend and influence millions of people. If they held a joint press conference it would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Neville is a majoirty shareholder in Salford who literally bought their way to skip through several tiers of the English football pyramid.
    There is no comparison there at all

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14tAU

An unnamed board member's insights into these proposals. The level of contempt for the current setup is utterly nauseating.

The FA should hammer these clubs harshly and immediately.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

All true, but he’s not challenging the validity of the pyramid itself.

That is a very important distinction, and also the reason why the OF attempt to get parachuted into the EPL was (rightly) met with widespread contempt.

Promotion / relegation is critical to the culture of European football imo. Do away with it and the game really is gone.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    UEFA president confirms that players of the teams involved in the closed league will be unable to participate in the World Cup and Euro’s, I assume that includes this summer’s competition.
    Wonder if Robertson and Tierney will submit transfer requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Leeds have changed tonight’s fixture on their twitter it now says they are playing Merseyside Reds rather than Liverpool
    That was a fake.

Left by mutual consent!
    Has rangers, celtic and hearts invite gone out yet? Surely they are bigger than porto etc?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    All true, but he’s not challenging the validity of the pyramid itself.

That is a very important distinction, and also the reason why the OF attempt to get parachuted into the EPL was (rightly) met with widespread contempt.

Promotion / relegation is critical to the culture of European football imo. Do away with it and the game really is gone.
    The proposal has nothing to do with promotion or relegation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14tAU

An unnamed board member's insights into these proposals. The level of contempt for the current setup is utterly nauseating.

The FA should hammer these clubs harshly and immediately.
    Hope they get kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The proposal has nothing to do with promotion or relegation though.

Eh? Of course it does... you need to check your facts before commenting. The new league is by invitation, not sporting merit.

And do you work for JP Morgan or something? You seem to be a staunch defender of this hideous new plan, for reasons that aren’t entirely clear to me.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Any club in England can do that though, that is why their pyramid system is second to none. If you have the money, the know how or an endless supply of great footballers you can take a team from county leagues right the way to the premier league. Forest Green Rovers did this, they came from local then country leagues through regional leagues, into the conference leagues and then eventually in league football.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by mixumatosis View Post
    "The game was definitely still about the fans when Utd were paying me £60k a week"

-G. Neville, Manchester
    Has absolutely nothing to do with this. He is spot on with what he says and his wages 15 years ago, when he was a top player, have nothing to do with it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Are viewing figures going up for the current set up, as i certainly dont watch half as much of the Champions league, and i'd be the same with this new system?

How will it be funded?

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Are viewing figures going up for the current set up, as i certainly dont watch half as much of the Champions league, and i'd be the same with this new system?

How will it be funded?
    Down about 30% recently since move away from Sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which anyone can do.

You want salary caps?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Which anyone can do.

You want salary caps?
    I do.
    Funnily enough, I think this is where this new league is heading. The US owners can’t understand why so much of the money generated goes to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Has absolutely nothing to do with this. He is spot on with what he says and his wages 15 years ago, when he was a top player, have nothing to do with it.

It’s not entirely an unfair criticism.

However, I’m not minded to pick a fight with Gary Neville when there is a much bigger war being waged.

Left by mutual consent!
    This goes all the way down by the way, and Scottish football should resist hyper-capitalist involvement in our game at all costs, market ourselves as the alternative along with other leagues who will tell these clubs where to **** off to.

Still makes me cringe thinking of Dempster's email a few seasons back that started with the phrase 'how ambitious is your club?'. I don't want the guardians of 'my club' to ever use those sort of vacuous, corporate buzzwords, I just want Hibs to run out in green and white and play at Easter Road against other Scottish teams with varying levels of success each season until I am dead in the mud, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I do.
    Funnily enough, I think this is where this new league is heading. The US owners can’t understand why so much of the money generated goes to the players.

But that would make no sense. The only draw for the players in this new set up, as I can see it, is the opportunity to make even more ridiculous amounts of money than they do already.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

How will it be funded?
    American investment bank putting up 4.6 billion
    TV deals with amazon and others in the works
    China and America alone, 2 countries who couldn't care less about what this does to domestic football, will provide enough viewing to cover it. Games will be early morning in this country so they can get biggest foreign audience.

It’s not entirely an unfair criticism.

However, I’m not minded to pick a fight with Gary Neville when there is a much bigger war being waged.
    Of course it is. He earned good money because he was worth good money to a team earning big money. They had the same chance to earn that money as everyone else. This league gives only 12 sides the chance to earn that money.

But that would make no sense. The only draw for the players in this new set up, as I can see it, is the opportunity to make even more ridiculous amounts of money than they do already.
    They would still be the best paid league in the world, especially after undermining the epl.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Sorry if you've already posted them and I've not seen, Scouse, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts on all this as a diehard scouser?

It's fairly easy for us to say "if it was Hibs" or indeed for me to listen to one of the Liverpool 'fans' I know in my social circles. But what are your feelings on it right now? Do you already feel completely let down by the club? Do you think you would walk away if it were all to go ahead as 'proposed'?
    Not for the first time the club have let the fans down, this goes completely against what Liverpool football club is supposed to be about. Would I ever be able to walk away, probably not.

European super league

EPL meeting tomorrow with only the 14 clubs left behind. IMO they need to go nuclear on this.
    Ceferin has said uefa are going to ban them once they have their legal ducks in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    There is no comparison there at all
    I agree with everything he said.

It's just that when he does it from his platform on Sky, which started this whole mess, that it is hard to take him seriously.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    EPL meeting tomorrow with only the 14 clubs left behind. IMO they need to go nuclear on this.
    Ceferin has said uefa are going to ban them once they have their legal ducks in a row.

How do you think this is going to end!

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The are undermining it though. They are taking away euro qualification. It’s one of its big selling points to broadcasters. ‘The battle for the top 4’. Future TV deal will reflect the fact that it is less competitive and there is nothing to play for for most of the league.

There will be hee-haw for most clubs in the super league to play for either.

There might be two or three clubs fighting it out to win the league. The rest of the games will be ‘glamour’ friendlies where they don’t want to risk injuring players who will be needed in their league games. They will have literally nothing to play for.

Personally I don’t see anything coming from this. The top clubs have completely underestimated the strength of feeling against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    How do you think this is going to end!
    Horribly - 5 million subscribers in the UK versus 500 million in Asia/Americas. Follow the money.