hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is virtue signalling not a phrase coined by angry young men who can't get a girlfriend?
    Like the term snow flake I think!
    Yup, it’s another word from the lexicon of those wee guys who are angry with the world because they can’t get their hole.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    Is virtue signalling not a phrase coined by angry young men who can't get a girlfriend?
    Like the term snow flake I think!
    Yes, that and blaming everything on “Millennials”

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    That's a really, really ignorant response. So, everything that gets delivered to my house, I could have picked up myself... on foot or by bus? How does that work if the item(s) are hundreds of miles away? How does that work if I'm looking after 3 kids and don't relish the prospect of dragging them down to the supermarket... and then struggling home with them and a weeks worth of food... on a packed bus?

Your response is laughable... so I will

If you truly believed in it all then it's a small sacrifice to make...as for hundred of miles away, what do you struggle to find in Edinburgh? Or is the thought of making an effort and saving a few quid better than your contribution to saving the world?

People who deny climate change would probably have disputed that smoking caused lung cancer or argued putting lead in petrol was a really good idea had they been of a different generation. There were scientists who 'debunked myths' around those things.

Climate change is happening and human activity is influencing and accelerating it. It's too easy to wait for someone else to do something about it. A few simple changes when it comes to attending football that will have minimal negative impact on anyone's 'match day experience' is as good a place to start as any.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who deny climate change would probably have disputed that smoking caused lung cancer or argued putting lead in petrol was a really good idea had they been of a different generation. There were scientists who 'debunked myths' around those things.

Climate change is happening and human activity is influencing and accelerating it. It's too easy to wait for someone else to do something about it. A few simple changes when it comes to attending football that will have minimal negative impact on anyone's 'match day experience' is as good a place to start as any.
    👏

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Yup, it’s another word from the lexicon of those wee guys who are angry with the world because they can’t get their hole.
    Really you seem well versed in it, you one of said wee guys 😅

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Really you seem well versed in it, you one of said wee guys 😅
    Apologies if I struck a nerve.

Coaching Staff
    Don't think so I'm 6ft & well past the young guy stage, having grandchildren tells you I had no problem in that respect, but yes I do think millennial are pain in the backside. 👍

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    You struck a nerve.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishybeaver View Post
    And ignoring that fact that all this could have been done on foot and with public transport. So that's 50 cars and numerous Van's not making any journey's
    Yeah, I'll go to b&q and get a bulk bag of sand for the paving I'm doing and take it home on the bus, there's 2 changes of bus each way and the nearest bus stop is a mile away.

Thanks for the pearl of wisdom.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

If you truly believed in it all then it's a small sacrifice to make...as for hundred of miles away, what do you struggle to find in Edinburgh? Or is the thought of making an effort and saving a few quid better than your contribution to saving the world?
    Not everyone on here lives in Edinburgh, or even a town. My nearest shop is 2 miles away. That's any shop. And it sells wooly jumpers and shortbread.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 21-02-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Yeah, I'll go to b&q and get a bulk bag of sand for the paving I'm doing and take it home on the bus, there's 2 changes of bus each way and the nearest bus stop is a mile away.

There are one or two lacking in any kind of wisdom, pearl or otherwise. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I think that when you take a look at cities such as Rio, Mexico City, Delhi, Beijing etc you realise that if even if Britain ceased to exist, the reduction in emission from there being no UK would have zero impact on a global scale.

Yet we are being asked to give up using or pay more to continue to use. I don't think that's the way forward at all.

I jokingly said a few years ago that they would soon start to stop us eating meat. It's now happening. Give it a few more years and eating beef will be seen like smoking or drink driving.

The answer to gobal warming will be in technological advances. The countries doing most in this area will be USA, UK and European and yet somehow we're seen as the bad guys.
    I changed my electricity provider to one who uses 100% renewable sources and it costs me less a month than the previous one who had a mix of sources, the majority non renewables. So making the changes to help the planet can actually benefit you, if you can be bothered to invest a wee bit of time.

Agree it's not as simple as that, but working in the transport industry I can confirm that there are way more vehicles travelling with drops around peoples houses than there ever was, and that large one vehicle deliveries to the likes off Debenhams etc on princess street has decreased.
    You buy three items when on foot in princess street that have been delivered in bulk that you take home under your arm, buy 3 online from different retailers and that's 3 vehicles that's delivered to your door.
    More folk get fast food delivered than walking to the chippy is another simple example, the list is endless, but current trends appear to have moved on from plastic straws and turtle's.
    Isn't that because people don't shop at Debenhams, which is why it is heamoraging money!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I changed my electricity provider to one who uses 100% renewable sources and it costs me less a month than the previous one who had a mix of sources, the majority non renewables. So making the changes to help the planet can actually benefit you, if you can be bothered to invest a wee bit of time.
    Me too. A light bulb moment, you might say.

Apologies to the admins, no matter how hard you try it still comes back to climate change arguments.

Me too. A light bulb moment, you might say.

Apologies to the admins, no matter how hard you try it still comes back to climate change arguments.
    Certainly a bulb moment! And with online compare sites for your electricity provider who even do the switch for you there are no excuses to not at least investigating a renewables provider.

Oh and, ummm, is Jackson fit for the weekend? (Keeping this relevant and off the holy ground!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Once again PB, you get it spot on.

First Team Regular

Do you buy bags of sand more often than you buy something which you could easily manage to carry online?
    Do you walk to the take away to save nasty cars having to deliver to your house?
    Would you pay more for items which come from countries less polluting than other?
    I suspect there is massive double standards!!
    Last edited by fishybeaver; 21-02-2020 at 10:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    All for playing our part and leading by example on the 'greener' approach.....but, I'm hoping he's just keeping his powder dry on the big plans! Not sure the introduction of veggie pies and paper straws will have the swithering season ticket holders rushing to renew come April🤔

There's two recent threads on here, both 100% Hibs content, about a player signing for the women's team and an environmental project the club is promoting. Both unequivocally good things.

But they've both degenerated into multipage slanging matches, driven by the usual suspects who seem to have a political angle in disliking both initiatives. It's trolling, its becoming commonplace on here and is making this forum a less interesting place to spend time.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    There's two recent threads on here, both 100% Hibs content, about a player signing for the women's team and an environmental project the club is promoting. Both unequivocally good things.

But they've both degenerated into multipage slanging matches, driven by the usual suspects who seem to have a political angle in disliking both initiatives. It's trolling, its becoming commonplace on here and is making this forum a less interesting place to spend time.
    Correct.

It is important that - when we get these major plans announced via the AGM - that they are not derailed by uninformed rubbish being repeated as fact by people who "seem" to hate everything that comes out of our board, CEO etc.

Lets not have a repeat of the lies that were spread when HSL was in its infancy - it never recovered from that.

@hibs.net private member
    You only have to look at the shift towards better enviromental/social policy and governance standards in the corporate world as evidence of the recognised 'bottom line' value of this approach in todays world.

Am I excited by us taking a greener approach or interested in our ladies team.....not really. However, I am aware that many of our supporters are, or will be, along with future prospective supporters/investors/sponsors and that is what 'could' ultimately benefit our club/brand....football team.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

Erm, no.

Some folk are discussing the points. You don’t get to decide if the topics being discussed are good or bad things, that’s up to the individual posters on this site.

You say slanging match, I say discussion.

Usual suspects? why not just take it up with them? You know, discuss their point?

Some could argue that your post here is trolling!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    We're making a conscious effort to consume cleaner energy, have less single use plastics stuck in the environmental cycle, less litter around our communities, and more varied and healthy options for food at the football.

There's no ensuing hardship here, it's just making things better.

betterworldfornothing.jpg
    Mon the Hibs.

Do you buy bags of sand more often than you buy something which you could easily manage to carry online?
    Do you walk to the take away to save nasty cars having to deliver to your house?
    Would you pay more for items which come from countries less polluting than other?
    Does your post have anything to do with Hibs?

No.

If you want to discuss climate change, or recycling why don't you start a new thread on the Holy Ground.

Does the Hibs green initiative affect you that much that you feel so strongly that you have to argue with everyone that thinks it is a worth while move?

You are so obtuse I can't figure out what you're angle is.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Erm, no.

Some folk are discussing the points. You don’t get to decide if the topics being discussed are good or bad things, that’s up to the individual posters on this site.

You say slanging match, I say discussion.

Usual suspects? why not just take it up with them? You know, discuss their point?

Some could argue that your post here is trolling!
    Some could argue that, yes.
    It doesn't make it any less stupid.

Some could argue that, yes.
    It doesn't make it any less stupid.
    For troll read bot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285

Are you saying 'While the Chief' is a bot?
    Do bots come on and deny they are bots?
    We are about to find out

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Not everyone on here lives in Edinburgh, or even a town. My nearest shop is 2 miles away. That's any shop. And it sells wooly jumpers and shortbread.

My local authority where I live is currently trying to reduce car use and increase things like walking and cycling.

And - without fail - there is always some tool who says the whole thing can’t work because they personally have to take their wheelchair bound 90 year old granny with them on every single trip.

I have lost patience with these people.

Of course there are double standards, you still have to go to a shop, travel, live. The individual makes what effort they can but still has to buy food and use their car. You can drive economically and do fewer miles where you can but if you live in the sticks you have to drive.

This should be moved to the HG