hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although there's so much more that we can all try to do, and without too much effort, you think it's not worth bothering then?
    I think that when you take a look at cities such as Rio, Mexico City, Delhi, Beijing etc you realise that if even if Britain ceased to exist, the reduction in emission from there being no UK would have zero impact on a global scale.

Yet we are being asked to give up using or pay more to continue to use. I don't think that's the way forward at all.

I jokingly said a few years ago that they would soon start to stop us eating meat. It's now happening. Give it a few more years and eating beef will be seen like smoking or drink driving.

The answer to gobal warming will be in technological advances. The countries doing most in this area will be USA, UK and European and yet somehow we're seen as the bad guys.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The bulk of the stadium is used only 2-3 times per month on average (less in the summer). To be useful the electricity/energy gained from the solar panls would have to be either stocked (batteries) or sold back to the grid. The deal/contract with the energy providers to sell the excess power is what would determine the viability of solar panels, and these things change all the time.
    Thanks for this info. My post was very much tongue in cheek though. Well, except for blowing empty crisp packets at visiting supporters 😀

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I think that when you take a look at cities such as Rio, Mexico City, Delhi, Beijing etc you realise that if even if Britain ceased to exist, the reduction in emission from there being no UK would have zero impact on a global scale.

Yet we are being asked to give up using or pay more to continue to use. I don't think that's the way forward at all.

I jokingly said a few years ago that they would soon start to stop us eating meat. It's now happening. Give it a few more years and eating beef will be seen like smoking or drink driving.

The answer to gobal warming will be in technological advances. The countries doing most in this area will be USA, UK and European and yet somehow we're seen as the bad guys.
    There are probably people in Mexico City, Delhi etc saying that there is no point in changing to an electric vehicle because the UK are still pumping CO2 into the atmosphere. Hibs are being forward looking and innovative while nae sayers are pointing to them and saying why bother, we're stuffed anyway.

Hibs were the first with undersoil heating, now all top clubs have it. This is the start of a movement where businesses take the initiative for the future of the planet.

Ignore climate change at our peril.

I won't be around to see if we have managed to make the difference but I sure hope we can.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    There are probably people in Mexico City, Delhi etc saying that there is no point in changing to an electric vehicle because the UK are still pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.
    Maybe, but I doubt it.

In a lot of countries their priorities are getting clean water and feeding themselves, not how to reduce CO2 emissions.

They need massive amounts of infrastructure built just to get up to basic human living standards that we all take for granted. That will take zillions of tonnes of concrete and steel etc which are some of the worst contributors to CO2 emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by fishybeaver View Post
    All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars..can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees? How many off the pro group actually drive electric cars?
    Have we ticked a box for a fashionable subject...yes

Nothing more!!
    What if having solar panels at East Mains reduced the running costs by an amount which allowed us to sign an extra player or offer an existing player a better contract so we could hold onto them a bit longer or maximise their transfer fee?

Having worked in low carbon consultancy advising businesses on their energy, sustainability and carbon footprint I know that very few businesses will implement schemes like this unless there is a clear business case for it, which would take into account PR/publicity benefits, employee wellbeing, costs, savings, etc.

Whilst they may cost us capital in the short term (which will no doubt be taken from the infrastructure budget and not the playing budget) there will be clearly laid out benefits long term, particularly when the likes of solar power is effectively free energy, reducing running costs and freeing up money which we can use to boost the playing squad.

Similarly, widening the range of foods on offer at the stadium, catering for different dietary choices and requirements should increase catering revenue and improve the fans experience at the game making it a more attractive place to attend. It's only a small thing and may not be something which is noticeable to most fans, but little things like this and the family fun zone they have been running helps make the club a better place for fans and should hopefully help attendances at games.

East Mains would be the place where solar panels would make the most sense, its always better to use the energy yourself and East Mains is used most days of the week, so the energy generated would get used more there.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Maybe, but I doubt it.

In a lot of countries their priorities are getting clean water and feeding themselves, not how to reduce CO2 emissions.

They need massive amounts of infrastructure built just to get up to basic human living standards that we all take for granted. That will take zillions of tonnes of concrete and steel etc which are some of the worst contributors to CO2 emissions.
    Mexico City, World leaders in climate mitigation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_Mexico

Delhi suffers major air pollution

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_issues_in_Delhi
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Ah, Kato, everytime I post anything, about anything, you're there, waiting to pounce....

Read through the thread and you'll see a few posts mentioning 'saving the planet'.

Besides, I'm not talking specifically about Hibs fans here, I'm talking about the whole green movement. Everywhere go you'll see something talking about 'saving the planet'.
    First comment is pure hype, petal, and nowhere near accurate. Look back on your posts if like and you'll see it's pure nonsense.

If words or figures of speech annoy you so much maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you.

If people saying the words "saving the planet" annoys you maybe stay away from discussions surrounding green issues, especially if your sole contribution is to say "why bother" and grump and groan about people who think its worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

All adds zero value to the club, will it attract more fans, no, will it convince certain players to choose us over someone w else..highly unlikely, do the 60 + members off staff drive electric cars..can the 60+ afford them no. Would we choose Doc on a full deal or rather have solar panels, allotments and bees? How many off the pro group actually drive electric cars?
    Have we ticked a box for a fashionable subject...yes

Nothing more!!
    As a matter of interest, do you recycle at home?
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It's not so much denying climate change exists, it's pretty much accepted as fact now.

There is however an awful lot to be discussed around the causes and what we can do about it, if anything.

The answer put forward by most people seems to be to consume less or pay more for what we do consume. If that is the case then, yeah, we're as well not giving a damn.

I'm all for putting litter in the bin or turning the lights off when I'm not in the room but lets not pretend we're saving the planet.
    If everyone had that attitude we’d be humped.

Let’s not pretend that as individuals our efforts are going to make a huge difference compared to what needs to happen, but Hibs are a reasonably big organisation that play host to probably 25 games per calendar year, give or take. Even if you took a very conservative average of 10,000 per game that means they’re hosting a quarter of a million people at Easter road per year. If you try to tell me that making an effort to influence all those journeys to the ground, consumption of material whilst there and then journeys home again then I could not disagree more.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    As a matter of interest, do you recycle at home?
    I use the green bin as required and the grey as required, I am not against recycling, and as stated keeping the seas clean etc. But I feel that global warming is a bandwagon being jumped on and is now being used as an additional tax. Ionline shopping has greatly increased the traffic / packaging / waste element but I've yet to see any political movement to support the high street and reduce the online shopping market. Why is that not targeted for example?
    Last edited by fishybeaver; 21-02-2020 at 03:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I use the green bin as required and the grey as required, I am not against recycling, and as stated keeping the seas clean etc. But I feel that global warming is a bandwagon being jumped on and is now being used as an additional tax. Ionline shopping has greatly increased the traffic / packaging / waste element but I've yet to see any political movement to support the high street and reduce the online shopping market. Why is that not targeted for example?
    You actually think online increases road traffic???? Dont you think it might reduce the number of cars driving round shopping centres?

I dont actually know the answer to the question about online v high street and the carbon footprint of both.............but I will bet you a tenner its not as simple as you seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    First comment is pure hype, petal, and nowhere near accurate. Look back on your posts if like and you'll see it's pure nonsense.

If words or figures of speech annoy you so much maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you.

If people saying the words "saving the planet" annoys you maybe stay away from discussions surrounding green issues, especially if your sole contribution is to say "why bother" and grump and groan about people who think its worthwhile.

Not annoyed in the slightest, just taking part in the conversation.

You seem to have a right bee in your bonnet about me for some reason though.

Anyways, no hard feelings on my part, petal

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    You actually think online increases road traffic???? Dont you think it might reduce the number of cars driving round shopping centres?

I dont actually know the answer to the question about online v high street and the carbon footprint of both.............but I will bet you a tenner its not as simple as you seem to think.
    Agree it's not as simple as that, but working in the transport industry I can confirm that there are way more vehicles travelling with drops around peoples houses than there ever was, and that large one vehicle deliveries to the likes off Debenhams etc on princess street has decreased.
    You buy three items when on foot in princess street that have been delivered in bulk that you take home under your arm, buy 3 online from different retailers and that's 3 vehicles that's delivered to your door.
    More folk get fast food delivered than walking to the chippy is another simple example, the list is endless, but current trends appear to have moved on from plastic straws and turtle's.
    Last edited by fishybeaver; 21-02-2020 at 04:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Let’s not pretend that as individuals our efforts are going to make a huge difference compared to what needs to happen, but Hibs are a reasonably big organisation that play host to probably 25 games per calendar year, give or take. Even if you took a very conservative average of 10,000 per game that means they’re hosting a quarter of a million people at Easter road per year. If you try to tell me that making an effort to influence all those journeys to the ground, consumption of material whilst there and then journeys home again then I could not disagree more.

As the whole of Scotland is responsible for just 0.12% of global carbon emissions, even looking at this at club rather than individual level will still be next to negligible in impact.

There are only two ways to tackle this. One is that the countries which are the biggest current offenders make the biggest changes because that will have the biggest impact. The other is that consumers - both individuals and organisations - exercise collective consumer power and stop buying where possible from those countries who are the biggest offenders precisely because their production chains which bring us their products to buy are among the the highest carbon emitters.

The Hibernian announcement is excellent PR but not a lot else other than making us and potential sponsors feel good about ourselves. It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling were it not for that fact that it is presumably intended to bring a net commercial benefit to the club one way or another.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Agree it's not as simple as that, but working in the transport industry I can confirm that there are way more vehicles travelling with drops around peoples houses than there ever was, and that large one vehicle deliveries to the likes off Debenhams etc on princess street has decreased.
    You buy three items when on foot in princess street that have been delivered in bulk that you take home under your arm, buy 3 online from different retailers and that's 3 vehicles that's delivered to your door.
    More folk get fast food delivered than walking to the chippy is another simple example, the list is endless, but current trends appear to have moved on from plastic straws and turtle's.
    Completely ignoring the fact that these delivery vehicles are multi-drop. 50 deliveries in a van on a round? That's 50 cars not making return journeys

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    Completely ignoring the fact that these delivery vehicles are multi-drop. 50 deliveries in a van on a round? That's 50 cars not making return journeys
    And ignoring that fact that all this could have been done on foot and with public transport. So that's 50 cars and numerous Van's not making any journey's

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    And ignoring that fact that all this could have been done on foot and with public transport. So that's 50 cars and numerous Van's not making any journey's
    That's a really, really ignorant response. So, everything that gets delivered to my house, I could have picked up myself... on foot or by bus? How does that work if the item(s) are hundreds of miles away? How does that work if I'm looking after 3 kids and don't relish the prospect of dragging them down to the supermarket... and then struggling home with them and a weeks worth of food... on a packed bus?

Your response is laughable... so I will

The original Greens

Well we are the original Greens so why no try and be even greener.

[QUOTE=Jack;6091186]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    People really need to read the proposals before jumping in with remarks like these

It would be good if LRT came on board.

I know in some European countries clubs have a deal with the local public transport providers allowing 'free travel' to and from the match if you have a match ticket. Would supporters, with those from out of town using the park and rides, be encouraged by such a scheme?

There's a difficulty at the moment for people wanting to use public transport so it's neither wonder folk prefer to take their cars.

LRT could put on extra buses to take folk from the game. Two or three 1s and 35s sitting at the foot of Easter Road moving off at the final whistle would make more sense than just now were both scream up Easter Road just before the whistle trying to avoid the rush of supporters! Similar could be tried at London Road and Leith Walk.

Extra buses have you tried to get a bus up Easter Rd after a game.............LRT are all jambos

What's going on here???

East Mains is our training centre but you want folk planting veg and keeping bees there??

Mental.
    Tincastle is already at the tattie growing stage, with every bit of spare land planted

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Just imagine all that methane gas...phew

Not annoyed in the slightest, just taking part in the conversation.

You seem to have a right bee in your bonnet about me for some reason though.

Anyways, no hard feelings on my part, petal
    Not quite sure what you mean, look back on your posts and your "every time" comment on my replys to you makes you look paranoid. Anyway your not a problem, just your dafty, lazy opinions. All the best

Hope we aren’t wasting any money from the men’s team doing this. (Am I doing this right Andy?)

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    As the whole of Scotland is responsible for just 0.12% of global carbon emissions, even looking at this at club rather than individual level will still be next to negligible in impact.

There are only two ways to tackle this. One is that the countries which are the biggest current offenders make the biggest changes because that will have the biggest impact. The other is that consumers - both individuals and organisations - exercise collective consumer power and stop buying where possible from those countries who are the biggest offenders precisely because their production chains which bring us their products to buy are among the the highest carbon emitters.

The Hibernian announcement is excellent PR but not a lot else other than making us and potential sponsors feel good about ourselves. It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling were it not for that fact that it is presumably intended to bring a net commercial benefit to the club one way or another.
    I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I think comparing the efforts of a football club to global requirements is a massive leap and they should be applauded for their efforts.

So what if it brings income to the club commercially? If it makes us more attractive to potential sponsers AND more environmentally friendly then great, two birds with one stone.

If you call out everyone who makes an effort to change the way they as individual behave as virtue signallers then you’re doing more harm than good.

This place seems to have become a forum purely for squabbling.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Just imagine all that methane gas...phew
    Can’t be any more harmful than the gas spouted on here.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This place seems to have become a forum purely for squabbling.
    Or virtue signaling

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Or virtue signaling
    Perhaps its my age but I dont understand what this means.

Does that make me a snowflake? Or just woke?

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Perhaps its my age but I dont understand what this means.

Does that make me a snowflake? Or just woke?
    It’s telling everyone how morally superior you are by doing certain things that are in reality pointless or require no effort.

It’s also a phrase people use when they’ve run out of things to say to people who are actually trying to make a difference.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    It would almost be the dreaded virtue signalling...
    Is virtue signalling not a phrase coined by angry young men who can't get a girlfriend?
    Like the term snow flake I think!