hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Players you liked but not everyone rated

Positive-ish thread here.

What player or players did you 'like' or 'rate' that struggled to get other fans or the gaffers approval?

Mine are for example;

Benji - Loved him TBH. Always excited me when he was coming off the bench as I had a confidence he would score/create and change the game. He often did. I thought he had a great footballing brain and was a talented finisher. However not everyone took to him as well as others.

Kevin McBride - Our holding #17 was for me, one of the best players under Yogi. Always kept it cool and simple. Wasn't the most gifted but positionally very good. Me and my mate were full of praise for him. I even once said he was our best player (must have been steaming ). However alot of supporters thought he was garbage

So.... is there anyone you can think of?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson. He's getting more plaudits nowadays to be fair but for the past 3 seasons or so he got a lot of abuse from the support.

Colin Nish. He wasn't the best player in the world but he always gave 100% and some of the abuse he got was way over the top imo. His goals to games ratio for Hibs was actually pretty decent, I think.

I agree about McBride btw, he was really good up until Christmas time (possibly until he got sent off against the ex-Huns?).

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Positive-ish thread here.

What player or players did you 'like' or 'rate' that struggled to get other fans or the gaffers approval?

Mine are for example;

Benji - Loved him TBH. Always excited me when he was coming off the bench as I had a confidence he would score/create and change the game. He often did. I thought he had a great footballing brain and was a talented finisher. However not everyone took to him as well as others.

Kevin McBride - Our holding #17 was for me, one of the best players under Yogi. Always kept it cool and simple. Wasn't the most gifted but positionally very good. Me and my mate were full of praise for him. I even once said he was our best player (must have been steaming ). However alot of supporters thought he was garbage

So.... is there anyone you can think of?
    Peter Cormack, outstanding and one of the very best who have graced our club, but he took more than his fair share abuse from a section of the support.

Liam Miller

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    I've never really felt the hate for Satchel that other .netters have. For the half season that Hurly Burley was in charge of the yams he was a fine player.

What? Wrong thread?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Ricardo Vaz Te. If we had a half decent manager at that time, that could get the best out of him, I believe he could have became a very good player for us as he was skilful and direct. I felt that their was a player in their somewhere but majority of my mates didn't agree and wanted him binned.

Yannick Zambernardi. TBF I cannot recall if he was liked or not but he was always cool and composed under pressure, could pick a (40 yard) pass and was Hibs class.

Stuart Lovell - massively under rated, always speaks highly of Hibs too. Class act.

Lewis & Wotherspoon. Both hugely affected by turmoil at the club, change of managers every season or two. Fans always on their back as they were terrified of doing something wrong on the pitch and being binned by the new manager. Both should have left (much sooner in Wotherspoons case) and their careers would look alot different I'm sure. Can see Harris falling into this category to in about 12 months.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Yannick Zambernardi. TBF I cannot recall if he was liked or not but he was always cool and composed under pressure, could pick a (40 yard) pass and was Hibs class.

Stuart Lovell - massively under rated, always speaks highly of Hibs too. Class act.
    I loved Zambernardi, but it's being kind to say he could pick a pass. He looked the part with his long diagonals, but they went to nobody as often as the found a man.

Paul Hartley.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Lewis & Wotherspoon. Both hugely affected by turmoil at the club, change of managers every season or two. Fans always on their back as they were terrified of doing something wrong on the pitch and being binned by the new manager. Both should have left (much sooner in Wotherspoons case) and their careers would look alot different I'm sure. Can see Harris falling into this category to in about 12 months.
    Wotherspoon goes down as the ultimate casualty of this era, in my book. Lots of potential but completely nurtured the wrong way. Lewis and Paul Hanlon are now showing signs of their quality with a good manager at the helm bringing them on.

I've said it for some time, that the most important signing a club can make is the manager. You can have good players (and we have), but without a good manager at the helm, you'll go nowhere, and that's exactly what happened to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Joe T & Brian Hamilton

Stuart Lovell instantly springs to mind. The perfect example of even a good team 'needing' a boo boy. Remember a game, away to Stranraer I think, where he scored and the guy next to me was screaming 'thanks for that now **** off back to Bondi Beach you convict ****'.

One of the strangest ways I have witnessed a fan celebrating a goal.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Ally Mcleod of late seventies/ early eighties vintage.

Ally was an absolutely brilliant player who scored almost 100 goals for the Hibees but for whatever reason he was never universally accepted by the Hibs support. Some thought he was downright lazy, others thought he was just a fat bassa but what he definitely did have was skill in abundance, great vision and a knack of scoring some spectacular goals out of absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM

Testimonial Due
    Matt doherty and edwin de graaf

Only joking both were honking.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Joe T & Brian Hamilton
    Agree with both of those but especially Benji

I think in yesteryear he would have been viewed as a flawed genius

Whereas during his time with us he was viewed by many as a lazy bassa /wage thief

The guy was massively talented but unfortunately didn't IMO have the mental aptitude to support that talent.

Dean Sheils. Always gave 100% but there were a good few who didn't rate him.

Shelton Martis. Actually thought he was a talented lad. Mainly for scoring own goals right enough but I did thonk he was a good player

Here's another cracker....

OUMAR KONDE.... if I remember correctly he marked Paul Hartley (who had just scored 3 against us) out the game when we beat those barstewards 2-1 at Easter Road. Benji got the winner.

Derek townsley

Benji's another case where you, the fan, is sitting in the stand watching him not get stuck in and being enraged because you knew he could do it! I thought Benji was a good player with bags of potential, but he had the worst attitude possible, hence his career going down the toilet.

Zemmama's the same to an extent. An absolute wizard with the ball. I remember a match in about 2009/10 against Dundee United, where he ran the show and he was colossal with his skill and vision, absolutely thrilling to watch. The next match however, he'd be a shirking coward, not on the ball, and not getting involved at all, etc.

It was so frustrating to watch them at times, as you knew they could do it.

Both of these laddies had so much talent, but they never had that extra bit to take them to the level they were capable of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by TheFamous1875; 20-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Brian Hamilton. Stu Lovell. Lewis.

All midfielders, not spectacular in what they do, but you always need one player like them in the team.

Grafters who let the other players do the fancy stuff knowing that someone has their backs.

Akpo Sodje. When he joined and was scoring the goals the guys infront of me still moaned at the guy. I liked him a lot when he was with us.

Paul Lovering. After the likes of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken had insulted our number 3 jersey I thought he was the real deal. I can't really remember where it went wrong for him but I remember him playing a decent part in our promotion side. I think he might have lost his place to Tom Smith actually who was another unsung hero.

Am I allowed to say Paul Hartley? Always thought he had quality and I never thought he let us down. Played several postions, mainly wide and sometimes up front but never in his best position. Boy did he come back to haunt us.

Also, I'm delighted to see Sam Stanton emerge of late. I've been impressed with him every time he's featured. Again, mainly used for 10 minutes at a time and played wide but I'd have had him in the side about a year ago, playing as a number 10. We've been crying out for this guy for ages and he's been under our noses all the time.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-02-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Didn't see Hartley mentioned above.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Kevin McBride. Think Konde is a good shout too, the guy barely put a foot wrong but was never going to get into a midfield with the likes of Boozy, Brown, Thomson, Stewart and Shiels doing the business.

Humphrey Rudge is another one. Thought he was generally solid whenever he played apart from one horror show in Dunfermline. He was the victim of a stupid name IMO

Graham Stack

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Ally Mcleod of late seventies/ early eighties vintage.

Ally was an absolutely brilliant player who scored almost 100 goals for the Hibees but for whatever reason he was never universally accepted by the Hibs support. Some thought he was downright lazy, others thought he was just a fat bassa but what he definitely did have was skill in abundance, great vision and a knack of scoring some spectacular goals out of absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM
    Couldn't agree more, my favourite player of all time.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Akpo Sodje. When he joined and was scoring the goals the guys infront of me still moaned at the guy. I liked him a lot when he was with us.
    Absolutely, I rated sodje when he was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Colin Nish. He wasn't the best player in the world but he always gave 100% and some of the abuse he got was way over the top imo. His goals to games ratio for Hibs was actually pretty decent, I think.
    Was the same at Rugby Park as well....rated the guy pretty highly.

But he was replacing good players at both clubs, Boyd and Naisy at Killie

Benny Brazil was my favourite " non favourite"

Brian Hamilton - always broke up play and played a simple ball.

Paul Hartley - Don't know why but i liked him when he played for Hibs.

Alan Sneddon - was young when he was about but always remember the grumbles whenever he had the ball. I thought he was a no bad player.

Joe T - Liked him too but always had his moaners.

Neil Orr - thought he was a good player but still got some stick.

John Rankin - again like Neil Orr.

Stuart Lovell - we more solid defensively when he played

George McCluskey - liked him but always had his moaners.

Alan Sneddon. Took some stick week after week from the Hibs fans but was a solid defender and great servant. I was delighted to see him get a testimonial and a very good turnout. Well deserved IMO.

Paul Kane I had many many disagreements in the East defending Kano every week. I think that a lot of fans realised how good a player he was once he had left and was top man at both Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

Brian Hamilton. very good player who was appreciated by his teammates. Again a lot of fans realised this after he left.

John Connelly. A very very good player who came to us late in his career. Would have liked to have seen him in his prime with us.

Ralph Callaghan ​Another who used to take a lot of stick. Could be lazy but what a player