hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Chippys

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True enough. The rightful home of the chip. Invented in the trenches, and ever since then the Belgians have been trying to claim ownership
    Ach, The Belgians are always waffling! 😀

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Just been told it’s our food pictured in the Choose Hibs video played at each home game. Haven’t been to many games this season so never seen it.

@hibs.net private member
    Passed Milton Fry tonight and couldnt resist a fish supper, two large freshly and lightly battered fish with fresh chips, unlike my recent rotten fish supper from Giovanies, fish so tough I could have re soled one of my work boots, thick greasy batter with inedible and possibly refried chips 🤮

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Marios or Dino's in Loanhead , Different class !! Family run business for over 40 years , You really won't find a better chippy in the vicinity , Kebabs top notch

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Passed Milton Fry tonight and couldnt resist a fish supper, two large freshly and lightly battered fish with fresh chips, unlike my recent rotten fish supper from Giovanies, fish so tough I could have re soled one of my work boots, thick greasy batter with inedible and possibly refried chips 🤮
    Probably the worst used to be one opposite Haymarket Sation whose name escapes me. Got shut down for repeated health issues IIRC. The owner apparently stayed in Buckstone and used to dump the food waste in the woods up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It is, it the one on Raeburn place that’s closed, L’Aquila Bianca. Shut over 10 years ago or so
    Both of those Stockbridge ones are/were good. Globetrotter up at Bruntsfield used to be pretty decent but not been for years and I think it might have changed its name.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Probably the worst used to be one opposite Haymarket Sation whose name escapes me. Got shut down for repeated health issues IIRC. The owner apparently stayed in Buckstone and used to dump the food waste in the woods up there.
    The Clifton? Rat ***** all over the back of the shop apparently!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    The Clifton? Rat ***** all over the back of the shop apparently!
    Used it regularly during the early to mid nineties and never had an issue with the food served. To be fair I was generally pissed each time I went there.

Could go for a white pudding supper with salt and sauce right now.

Graziano's is my go to place when I stay in south queensferry or fat Tony's if I'm at cameron toll.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post

When I moved to Glasgow I was taken aback at how difficult it is to find a chippy that does a white pudding through here. Very few and far between. Therefore tend to always get one if we're having a chippy when I'm through at my folks' in Musselburgh (we like Jaz's Fish Bar opposite Luca's if any Honest Toun-ers are looking in).
    Last edited by G15 Hibs; 17-11-2022 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    When I moved to Glasgow I was taken aback at how difficult it is to find a chippy that does a white pudding through here. Very few and far between. Therefore tend to always get one if we're having a chippy when I'm through at my folks' in Musselburgh (we like Jaz's Fish Bar opposite Luca's if any Honest Toun-ers are looking in).
    There's a new one opened in Musselburgh called 'Good Catch', it's next door to the Nisa shop at Pinkie. Had a tasty fish supper a few days after it opened, chips were great.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    There's a new one opened in Musselburgh called 'Good Catch', it's next door to the Nisa shop at Pinkie. Had a tasty fish supper a few days after it opened, chips were great.
    Ah, right enough. Saw that the last time we were through, it's only 5 minutes walk from my folks. It'll do a cracking trade there with all the new houses. Thanks for the review, good to know. My old dear's cousin had given it a thumbs up as well, which is quite a seal of approval as she's a bit picky.

Fountainpark Fry on this side of town is worth a visit too, Ginos at Longstone too although not been there since pre lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post

Graziano's is my go to place when I stay in south queensferry or fat Tony's if I'm at cameron toll.
    I like Fat Tony's especially since the old Tonys on causewayside closed down, but i worry about the current operation, everytime im there its dead quiet despite the freshness of the fish.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Used it regularly during the early to mid nineties and never had an issue with the food served. To be fair I was generally pissed each time I went there.
    Ha ha, snap! Used to pop in all the time when walking back from town to Gorgie.
    Even after they were served a warning notice by the council/environmental health in the mid-noughties I still popped in now and then. I've been in many places that I'm sure I wouldn't want to know what the kitchen looked like.

P.S word to the wise, don't eat at the Waverley Stn Burger King. Now that place should be condemned!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Ha ha, snap! Used to pop in all the time when walking back from town to Gorgie.
    Even after they were served a warning notice by the council/environmental health in the mid-noughties I still popped in now and then. I've been in many places that I'm sure I wouldn't want to know what the kitchen looked like.

P.S word to the wise, don't eat at the Waverley Stn Burger King. Now that place should be condemned!
    I think the vast majority of places are very conscientious about cleanliness. There are a few that are just horrific though, I really don't get it, even if they don't care about other people's health the financial penalties should be a deterrent.

I had to go and visit a take away in Dundee recently. He had been savaged by the EHO and called us asking if someone could go in to help him get things up to scratch. I done a walk around with him and it was frightening. Not a single surface sanitiser in sight, far less anything that conformed to BS1276. No 2 step process for hand washing dishes, no colour coding for chopping boards, mops, brushes etc, no real efforts to avoid cross contamination. He literally had no chemicals on site except bleach, not even washing up liquid. I asked how often he cleaned his milkshake machine, he said after every use, I told him I wasn't the EHO so he didn't have to lie and explained I was there to help, he admitted he didn't know. When I looked at it I just about vomited, it was disgusting.

I also have a customer who I have dealt with for years who left his job to go an flip pancakes for a living. He walked out after 2 days as he said his conscience couldn't accept serving food from there after what he saw in those kitchens. I won't name the establishment but it might rhyme with Jack & Bill.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think the vast majority of places are very conscientious about cleanliness. There are a few that are just horrific though, I really don't get it, even if they don't care about other people's health the financial penalties should be a deterrent.

I had to go and visit a take away in Dundee recently. He had been savaged by the EHO and called us asking if someone could go in to help him get things up to scratch. I done a walk around with him and it was frightening. Not a single surface sanitiser in sight, far less anything that conformed to BS1276. No 2 step process for hand washing dishes, no colour coding for chopping boards, mops, brushes etc, no real efforts to avoid cross contamination. He literally had no chemicals on site except bleach, not even washing up liquid. I asked how often he cleaned his milkshake machine, he said after every use, I told him I wasn't the EHO so he didn't have to lie and explained I was there to help, he admitted he didn't know. When I looked at it I just about vomited, it was disgusting.

I also have a customer who I have dealt with for years who left his job to go an flip pancakes for a living. He walked out after 2 days as he said his conscience couldn't accept serving food from there after what he saw in those kitchens. I won't name the establishment but it might rhyme with Jack & Bill.
    Urgh!... sounds like things were stacked against him :-/

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Still.... I'm sure he's glad he's away...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

That sounds absolutley disgusting, I had campylobacter many years ago and was almost potted heid. I had stomach cramps for weeks and was ****ting through the eye of a needle. My condition worsened and my Wife ran me up to old RIE, as soon as they triaged me in they fired me into an ambulance and blue lighted me to the WGH as I was having convulsion. I spent 2 weeks in the infection disease unit

I had a battery of tests after that and they told my it was most likely caused by raw or uncooked poultry. We had been eating out a bit prior to that but couldnt pin point the actual place we had eaten in, a close call but there are probably many similar cases to what you describe with folk going through the same

Am I the only pedantic, moaning faced git that wants to point out that the plural of Chippy is Chippies?

Ah, OK, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Am I the only pedantic, moaning faced git that wants to point out that the plural of Chippy is Chippies?

Ah, OK, fair enough.
    One for the Pet Peevies thread. 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Ah, OK, fair enough.
    Apologies, English was not my strongest subject at school

Enjoy your fishies and chippies
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 18-11-2022 at 07:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Chippy by spencer is the best i have had

For those concerned about the hygiene, or lack of it, in the previous few posts there's an excellent app for checking the latest status of an establishments Foods Standard Agencies status.

Some statuses seem to quite old but it is updated regularly. You will be surprised at some of the places that basically fail!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...td.foodhygiene

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    For those concerned about the hygiene, or lack of it, in the previous few posts there's an excellent app for checking the latest status of an establishments Foods Standard Agencies status.

Some statuses seem to quite old but it is updated regularly. You will be surprised at some of the places that basically fail!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...td.foodhygiene
    To be fair, and I should have added to my post that it was never proven that it was hygiene issues as we couldnt say for sure where we had eaten, theres every chance it was uncooked chicken, we will never know, unless other folk became ill around the same time

To be fair, and I should have added to my post that it was never proven that it was hygiene issues as we couldnt say for sure where we had eaten, theres every chance it was uncooked chicken, we will never know, unless other folk became ill around the same time
    I might also add my post was not in particular alluding to your unfortunate experience 😀
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I might also add my post was not in particular alluding to your unfortunate experience 😀
    I know mate 👍

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Miller's in Haxby is great wins lots of awards.

Just in case you're ever in North York! 😃
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Marios & Dino's Loanhead

The fact you have 2 quite sensational chippies 50 yards from each other in the same town is staggering , Both family run for over 50 years !

Doner kebabs will not be bettered

Apologies, English was not my strongest subject at school

Enjoy your fishies and chippies

Pedantic moaning faced git appeased.