hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Stubbsy to Blackburn?

According to the Lancashire Evening Telegraph Stubbs is shortlisted to replace Lambert at Blackburn Rovers! Sorry don't know how to do links, maybe somebody more savvy could oblige😉

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Daily Record running with the story too although I pressume it's the same source.

Fwiw whether it's Bolton, Blackburn or another I'm pretty sure he'll be away after our last game. No inside info, just think he seems to have built a reputation down south (how warranted that reputation is probably for another debate) so job done in that regard. I don't think he's got a lot to gain by staying with us but will have a support ready to put the pressure on him should things start to go wrong at all if we don't go up.

I also think when asked about the Bolton job his refusal to deny it said a lot more than what he actually did say.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season I wish him well, seems like a good guy even if I've not always been overly keen on his management.

Sorrybthatbwas just a ink to the sports page. This is the story. Just on the short list by all accounts

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s..._boss/?ref=mac

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

If he gets us the Scottish cup & promotion, his job is done!

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorrybthatbwas just a ink to the sports page. This is the story. Just on the short list by all accounts

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s..._boss/?ref=mac
    Interesting that there is a bit more logic to it than the Bolton job because he used to play for them.

If Alan Irvine is staying and has an influence into the appointment then there could well be something in it.

Would also mean John Doolan might not be following him, if Stubbs leaves on good terms after a successful end to the season I wonder if he would be considered to take over from Stubbs?!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    If he gets us the Scottish cup & promotion, his job is done!
    If he gets both he can pump my missus any time he wants.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I'd even tuck him in & bring him a nightcap! 🍷👍

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Interesting that there is a bit more logic to it than the Bolton job because he used to play for them.

If Alan Irvine is staying and has an influence into the appointment then there could well be something in it.

Would also mean John Doolan might not be following him, if Stubbs leaves on good terms after a successful end to the season I wonder if he would be considered to take over from Stubbs?!
    I wouldn't mind seeing Doolan get the gig. He is definitely passionate about Hibs and knows his stuff. All speculation at the moment. I'm happy with Stubbs atm, but if we win the cup and promotion I reckon we'll be saying cheerio to him.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Doolan get the gig. He is definitely passionate about Hibs and knows his stuff. All speculation at the moment. I'm happy with Stubbs atm, but if we win the cup and promotion I reckon we'll be saying cheerio to him.
    If we stay down do you think he'll fancy a third season in this league when he seems to have built a good reputation down south and a few losses away from being under a lot of pressure?

I can't see any scenario where he'll stay with us.

I was wrong once before though

If we stay down do you think he'll fancy a third season in this league when he seems to have built a good reputation down south and a few losses away from being under a lot of pressure?

I think he should repay the loyalty the board have shown in him & finish the job.
    However, a decent compensation package with Doolan staying on might be good business?

Not surprising in the least. Not that he is being linked with such jobs, just at the timing of it all. The next 2 weeks are massive for our club. And if sympathisers of our Cup Final opponents can throw the preverbial spanner into the mix every so often then it might give them an edge. It happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. What, really, has Stubbs achieved thus far that would merit getting the Blackburn job? A club with genuine aspirations of getting to the Premiership. Not enough in my opinion. All an attempt to unsettle the dressing room before the final. Same as happened with Allan. It will be a new club on Monday morning...

Blog Entries
    If we don't get promotion, I'll be happy to see him go. If he decides to stay and have another go, I'd accept that with reservations. Surely two failed attempts, however, are enough to suggest he doesn't have it.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Left Peg View Post
    Not surprising in the least. Not that he is being linked with such jobs, just at the timing of it all. The next 2 weeks are massive for our club. And if sympathisers of our Cup Final opponents can throw the preverbial spanner into the mix every so often then it might give them an edge. It happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. What, really, has Stubbs achieved thus far that would merit getting the Blackburn job? A club with genuine aspirations of getting to the Premiership. Not enough in my opinion. All an attempt to unsettle the dressing room before the final. Same as happened with Allan. It will be a new club on Monday morning...
    Blackburn have no ambition of getting into the premier at the moment (at board level anyway). The owners seem to have pretty much given up on the club, and relegation is far more likely than promotion next season.

Left by mutual consent!
    33/1. Can't see it.

Not that I think it'll happen but if stubbsy gets us promoted his job has just started imo. He's proven this team can compete in the premiership.

I'd hate for him to leave to be replaced by a potential dodgy appointment.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Why would Blackburn want a manager who's done nothing as a manager yet, when Bolton appointed Neil Lemon he'd at least won things and had some terrific european results on his CV?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Why would Blackburn want a manager who's done nothing as a manager yet, when Bolton appointed Neil Lemon he'd at least won things and had some terrific european results on his CV?
    The bookies have Craig Hignett as odds on. What's he done?

Cheap option probably.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    The bookies have Craig Hignett as odds on. What's he done?

Cheap option probably.
    Every manager ever had done nothing at one stage.

Guardiola hadn't managed anyone before getting the barca gig.

Before anyone twists what I'm saying, managerial appointments aren't always based on what they've achieved in the past, if they've got a good reputation as a coach sometimes that's enough to get them good jobs, of Stubbs has a man on the inside, like Alan Irvine singing his praises then it could well be a possibility, if they see him as a cheap option as well then that could also add to the likelihood of it happening.

Would Lambert have played with Stubbs at Celtic? Think they did, if so then that could be another factor if he is consulted.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Every manager ever had done nothing at one stage.
    I didn't say otherwise. :)

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Guardiola hadn't managed anyone before getting the barca gig.

Before anyone twists what I'm saying, managerial appointments aren't always based on what they've achieved in the past, if they've got a good reputation as a coach sometimes that's enough to get them good jobs, of Stubbs has a man on the inside, like Alan Irvine singing his praises then it could well be a possibility, if they see him as a cheap option as well then that could also add to the likelihood of it happening.

Would Lambert have played with Stubbs at Celtic? Think they did, if so then that could be another factor if he is consulted.
    I understand that, but like us with Butcher, if they do any kind of due diligence, they will see a manager who talks a good game but has his team playing for two years in the Scottish Championship thats got worse in the 2nd year.

If they go down the its not what you know but who you know route, they deserve to fail.

You maybe right, maybe he'll stay if he wins one or another. Most likely if he gets promoted and doesn't win the final. He may fancy another crack at the cup. For any manager winning the Scottish with Hibs would be a huge plus on their CV

@hibs.net private member
    I understand that, but like us with Butcher, if they do any kind of due diligence, they will see a manager who talks a good game but has his team playing for two years in the Scottish Championship thats got worse in the 2nd year.

If they go down the its not what you know but who you know route, they deserve to fail.
    Honestly. That is as imbalanced a view of Stubbs capabilities as I've read. I'm not for a minute saying he is a perfect manager - but a more balanced view would note that he picked up a basket case of a team and got them to second in year one and a semi final - he plays possession football and in his second year he failed in his promotion hunt due to a very poor 8 game spell , which has some questions attached to it - he narrowly lost a league final , has had strong result s against top league teams, and is fighting for promotion and the Scottish cup . He comes over as a young manager learning the game , has lots of raw talent and whilst has risks, is two years a better manager than when he started with us

I think he would be a great choice for Blackburn - and he would do well - I hope he doesn't go - as I can't think of a Better management team available to us than the one we currently have

Not like you to want a hibs manager out.....

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Stubbsy to Bolton...2 days before Falkirk at home

Now we have Stubbsy to Blackburn...2 days before the return league.

Jeez, people really are trying to stir up speculation and that's all it is with our manager.

He may well go in the summer, who knows but I don't understand the clamour to get rid by some on here in such an important fortnight for the club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Stubbsy to Bolton...2 days before Falkirk at home

Now we have Stubbsy to Blackburn...2 days before the return league.

Jeez, people really are trying to stir up speculation and that's all it is with our manager.

He may well go in the summer, who knows but I don't understand the clamour to get rid by some on here in such an important fortnight for the club.
    Why would journos down South wish to stir up speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Honestly. That is as imbalanced a view of Stubbs capabilities as I've read. I'm not for a minute saying he is a perfect manager - but a more balanced view would note that he picked up a basket case of a team and got them to second in year one and a semi final - he plays possession football and in his second year he failed in his promotion hunt due to a very poor 8 game spell , which has some questions attached to it - he narrowly lost a league final , has had strong result s against top league teams, and is fighting for promotion and the Scottish cup . He comes over as a young manager learning the game , has lots of raw talent and whilst has risks, is two years a better manager than when he started with us

I think he would be a great choice for Blackburn - and he would do well - I hope he doesn't go - as I can't think of a Better management team available to us than the one we currently have
    I think that once the dust has settled we will all (and probably Stubbsy himself) accept that he had a duff January transfer window. We lost players we shouldn't have, the signing of Stokes (which seemed like a great bit of business at the time) didn't work out and we left ourselves short of cover for the number of games we had to play (victims of our own success due to doing well in the cups).

In spite of all of that, the next fortnight could yet see us promoted and winning the cup.

Stubbs was brilliant for a season and a half, he just needs to find a way to get us over the line with a squad that Stubbs will in th long run admit is probably not quite good or balanced enough.

From there, imo it would be brilliant to see him stay and have a crack at the top league next season or if the worst happens rectify the mistakes and take us up as Champions from another challenging Championship.

If he chooses to go we should be realistic about where we were when he joined and how far he's taken us in a short time.

And if we're going to slaughter Stubbs for what he's done during his time with us we've got to wonder what to expect of the next guy. There are a lot of Calderwoods and Butcher's floating about out there so I think some people need to be careful what they wish for.