hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

'Football is not my passion, Hibs are'

I've doctored the thread title based on this article, but for how many on here does this sentiment ring true?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...y-passion/amp/

As I've got older I've come to realise that the only football I now actually care about is anything that relates to Hibs. Unlike the Arsenal fan in the article who has never supported England, I did actually used to follow Scotland home and away until about 15 years ago when I came to realise I didn't really care about the result and had no affinity with most of the players. The only reason I was there was, quite literally, for the beer. I couldn't actually tell you when I last watched a game of international football through choice. I also used to spend part of my weekend watching English Premiership games in the pub but that has long been abandoned as I grew to loathe the way the game runs on cash alone.

Aside from that, the one bit of the article I really identify with is the guy's inability to see out a game if Arsenal are one up with a few minutes to go. I've often switched the TV or radio off in similar circumstance while watching listening to Hibs games and on a couple of occasions when I've been at the game I've even left the ground!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular howdenthehibby's Avatar
    Yes I am the same . I've lost interest in International football ,
    The so called Champions league , which it certainly is not . That and the English game where money is King. Obscene transfer fees and wages make it hard to relate too. Give me the Hibees any day.

Some like minded people HAIL HAIL

I was the same, but have recently started going to watch my local non league team down in Suffolk and really enjoying it. £10 to get in, couple of pints while watching the game and usually a decent enough game of football too!

I don't really care about Scotland's results too much but I will watch their games if I have nothing else on and want them to do well while I'm watching it.

It doesn't come close to how I feel about Hibs though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyScott View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was the same, but have recently started going to watch my local non league team down in Suffolk and really enjoying it. £10 to get in, couple of pints while watching the game and usually a decent enough game of football too!
    Now THAT I can relate to. It's the community feel of supporting Hibs that really appeals to me and you can take that a step further by following non-league local football. In my case it's more often likely to be a local rugby or cricket match but the ability to sit there with a pint in your hand, enjoying sport for sport's sake and not having to suffer hideous anxiety over the score is great.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I'll take a differing view. I love football, no football no Hibs, no Hibs there is still football. I cant even walk passed a park match without stopping for a few minutes to watch, just love the game, always have, always will. Following your team intensifies your emotions and adds passion to the football experience but there's still alot more to it for me.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I'll take a differing view. I love football, no football no Hibs, no Hibs there is still football. I cant even walk passed a park match without stopping for a few minutes to watch, just love the game, always have, always will. Following your team intensifies your emotions and adds passion to the football experience but there's still alot more to it for me.
    This.

I'm forever watching football on TV, highlights and goal complications of great and favourite players on YouTube. I still regularly play and enjoy it, and love chatting about all things football with the lads.

I can't get enough.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I've come to realise that football is a murky and corrupt world.

I still enjoy watching it but much less committed than before. When I do watch I often wonder whether what I am seeing is real. Barca's ludicrous comeback against PSG last season comes to mind...

Still a Hibs supporter of course, and I genuinely believe we are a club that does its business in the correct manner.

My only real football interests are Hibs and Scotland but neither as strong as they once were, I must be getting old

I have no affinity with the EPL I used to like watching Arsenal but gave up watching it years ago I only catch the odd game now.

I would rather watch Falkirk v Dundee Utd than an EPL game.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I've doctored the thread title based on this article, but for how many on here does this sentiment ring true?

As I've got older I've come to realise that the only football I now actually care about is anything that relates to Hibs. Unlike the Arsenal fan in the article who has never supported England, I did actually used to follow Scotland home and away until about 15 years ago when I came to realise I didn't really care about the result and had no affinity with most of the players. The only reason I was there was, quite literally, for the beer. I couldn't actually tell you when I last watched a game of international football through choice. I also used to spend part of my weekend watching English Premiership games in the pub but that has long been abandoned as I grew to loathe the way the game runs on cash alone.

Aside from that, the one bit of the article I really identify with is the guy's inability to see out a game if Arsenal are one up with a few minutes to go. I've often switched the TV or radio off in similar circumstance while watching listening to Hibs games and on a couple of occasions when I've been at the game I've even left the ground!!
    That's exactly where i am these. During the 80's and 90's i got 2 world cup finals and 2 Euro finals, combining Hibs with Scotland.
    On Friday i lay in my bunk offshore flicking between masterchef and the Scotland game, the game getting 10 to 15 minuets in total if you're lucky.

My love of Hibs far outweighing my love of football. If it doesn't involve the Hibs then i'm no' relay interested these days.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    After 55% (apparently) of the country decided they wanted to be british, international football mean NOTHING to me.

Was always 100% Hibernian anyway, so nothing much changes.

GGTTH

Another thread with folk falling over each other to tell you how little they care about the national team.

Really odd.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Another thread with folk falling over each other to tell you how little they care about the national team.

Really odd.
    I don't think it's that black and white. If I'd started a thread entitled something like 'God how I loathe international football, who's with me?' then I agree it might come across as a bit needless. However, the article about the Arsenal fan I've posted the link to is about much more than why he has no affinity with his national team and more about why one's club team is about so much more than just football. Judging by the responses so far it's something a lot of football fans will empathise with. If you find it an 'odd' concept fair enough.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I don't give a toss about international football. The Scotland side (like some of the rest) has been multi-national for a good few years. International games are a farce these days, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Sounds about right, although I don't attend as often I used to.

Sounds exactly like me. A lot of the time I'll pass on watching other games when they're on the tele as it's only Hibs I'm interested in. I totally get what you're saying about turning the tv or radio off when it's a narrow lead towards the end. My worst one was the Scottish cup semi a few years ago v Aberdeen. Soon as Griffiths scored towards the end I spent the rest of the game in the toilets. Nerves were shreaded. Being a Hiby is torture at times.

Left by mutual consent!
    I watch a lot of football games. But with considerably less enthusiasm than when i'm watching the Hibs. If it's not Hibs, then I usually don't care all that much who actually wins the game.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I like the idea of watching football sometimes far more than I actually enjoy watching it. Have lost count of the amount of TV games I lost interest in very quickly and switched channels. Live (as in actually being tbere) football is totally different, I love the whole occasion whether it be in a park or at a ground, nothing can beat it as a spectator sport for me.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I have floated in and out of interest with football over the years and truly, Hibs are much more important to me than the sport itself. These are for reasons of family heritage, culture, friends and 'home'.

It's a long, long time ago that - Hibs apart - I've watched much televised football. it just does little for me any more and the over analysis by the commentators and studio experts bores and occasionally irritates me.

As far as the EPL is concerned I have absolutely zilch interest in it. I'll leave that circus to the Sky generation of fans.

Again, apart from my one love - Hibs and visits to Easter Road, I'll occasionally attend at Notts County. I used to do similar at Forest but they can go and f*** themselves after recent events. I won't be putting a penny into their coffers in the future. Local lads, East Midlands Counties League, Arnold Town can have any cash I would have expended instead.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

I will literally watch any football on the telly, what I wont do is spend money on SKY or BT sports to watch it. Even though I think the Champions league is a greed fest invented to make the rich and powerful even more rich and powerful I will watch it if its on coz at the end of the day its still football ... but I wont go out of my way to watch it and as I said I certainly wouldn't pay for the privilege.

The only time I will make an effort to go to the pub to watch a game is every time Hibs are on and now and again for Scotland games.

My passion for football as a sport is still as high as it ever was, but its way outstripped by my passion for Hibs ...... nothing, no matter who is playing or what the circumstances, comes close to the excitement and anxiety I go through watching the mighty Hibees

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Really odd.
    Noticed that too. Predictable and the same posters as always falling over themselves to belittle Scotland.

I don't think it's that black and white. If I'd started a thread entitled something like 'God how I loathe international football, who's with me?' then I agree it might come across as a bit needless. However, the article about the Arsenal fan I've posted the link to is about much more than why he has no affinity with his national team and more about why one's club team is about so much more than just football. Judging by the responses so far it's something a lot of football fans will empathise with. If you find it an 'odd' concept fair enough.
    I should specify that I wasn't referring to your OP in my post.

For me my passions if Hibs and football. Hibs play football, it's an engaging, emotional and highly watchable game (sometimes...... )

If Hibs participated in competitive horse whispering or synchronised mime I strongly suspect we wouldn't have nearly 13,000 ST holders. Hibs and football are intertwined and as mentioned elsewhere, even football without Hibs can happily occupy me, especially when it involves Scotland although obviously the depth of feeling isn't the same as it is watching Hibs.

Playing or watching, I love it. I just can't get on board with the relentlessly crabbit approach some have towards "modern football", which for all its ills, can be a great spectacle.

Watching football outwith Hibs often bores me. That doesn't just relate to Scotland, it's across the board. I've got no emotional engagement with it so I find it hard to get excited about it.

I still enjoy playing football but if Hibs ceased to exist tomorrow I doubt I'd watch much football. There's loads of thing I'd rather do than watch a non Hibs football match and that includes watching other sports.

Left by mutual consent!
    Watching someone you love, playing fitba makes all the difference. Family, (Grandson), Hibs, Scotland, they're just on different levels.

I'll watch all types of fitba, as it's the game that I love, but when one of your own are on the pitch, that's when it's different.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The problem is that there is too much football on TV now. Totally love Hibs and used to follow Scotland as well. Back in the day if there as a live game on TV it meant a big international, European match or cup final so you would go out of your way to watch it as it meant something. Nowadays you can watch Barcelona or RealMadrid every week. For me it makes football, except Hibs, that wee bit less special

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Me too, honestly couldn't care less about the national team; never have never will, honestly no arsed whether they win or lose.

Champions League is of no interest, couldn't tell you the last time I watched a game. I'd honestly rather watch Alloa Stranraer on Alba.

Quite like MOTD but rarely do I sit and watched a full Premiership game. Don't mind the Championship but wouldn't go out my way to watch any specific game.

Two types of folk I'll never understand are those that have a second team they're passionate about, but especially those welts that think wearing a Spurs/ Man U/ Liverpool etc top down to their local on a Sunday constitutes being a fan - usually the same fuds who rip the pish out of Scottish football but sit around the big tele in the boozer chugging over Jamie Redknapp and his pals on Super Sunday, sad as ****.

Hibs and Hibs only for me
    Last edited by .Sean.; 04-09-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I lost interest in the Scotland team a long, long time ago. I used to think it was because I didn't have any emotional attachment to them but I actually wonder whether it's been the lack of qualification to major tournaments - Scotland were regular qualifiers all through my childhood, youth and early adulthood. That lack of progression probably contributed to a lack of interest.

Funnily enough I'm getting back into watching them - players like Robertson, Tierney and Armstrong are genuinely exciting to watch. It's good to see Griffiths getting his chance (just scored as I type) and it highlights how someone like Scott Brown has developed through CL experience.

Unlike most it would appear, I like the Champions' League. Yes, it's a grossly-inflated moneyfest, but it's still an opportunity to see football that's generally a much higher technical standard than what is on offer on these shores.

I'll happily watch a Juventus or Atletico Madrid game for example, even more so if it's the likes of hose two or similar facing each other.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    I never missed a Scotland game as a kid, but Andy Roxburgh beat the enthusiasm out of me and I've never quite managed to find it again. I also think years of obscure players being picked ahead of in-form players from the Scottish leagues simply because they played in England (for absolutely anyone) haven't helped. Of course I want them to win, but I just don't have the same passion for Scotland as I have for Hibs. Put it this way, Scotland could win the next World Cup and I can't imagine feeling anything close to what I felt at 10 to 5 on 21/5/16 when I was bear hugging the complete stranger next to me like he was my best friend, whilst totally bawling my eyes out. I don't think it's a case of people dissing the national team, I think you just either feel it or you don't. Just my tuppence worth, GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Galahibby View Post
    I never missed a Scotland game as a kid, but Andy Roxburgh beat the enthusiasm out of me and I've never quite managed to find it again. I also think years of obscure players being picked ahead of in-form players from the Scottish leagues simply because they played in England (for absolutely anyone) haven't helped. Of course I want them to win, but I just don't have the same passion for Scotland as I have for Hibs. Put it this way, Scotland could win the next World Cup and I can't imagine feeling anything close to what I felt at 10 to 5 on 21/5/16 when I was bear hugging the complete stranger next to me like he was my best friend, whilst totally bawling my eyes out. I don't think it's a case of people dissing the national team, I think you just either feel it or you don't. Just my tuppence worth, GGTTH
    Quick edit there!