hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was responding to a different question (ie. "So what?"). You're the one that went off on a tangent.

If you don't want crap on .net, I suggest you stop stirring it.
    Simple question is... Is Leigh Griffiths better than what we have - Yes. Is Scott Brown better than what we have - Yes. We need to start thinking about how to get over the line to be successful and get to finals and win trophies with this team.

You'll make an Admin one day 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

There are 90 minutes in a game so a player completing 10 league games in a season will have played 900 minutes.

Leigh hasn't managed that for the last 3 seasons so he isn't even a 10 game a season player never mind a 20 goal a season player.

Someone posted on here that he is on £19k a week so let's say that's true. That means he still has another £1 million to pick up in wages from Celtic before his contract ends. Therefore at the end of this season Celtic would probably have to pay him £700k to go away and that would allow him to go to Aberdeen or Hibs for £4k a week and make the same money.
    However, Celtic is his home so he probably wants to stay there as long as he can, tieing scarves to goal posts when he is fit enough and available to do so.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 31-03-2021 at 09:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Simple question is... Is Leigh Griffiths better than what we have - Yes. Is Scott Brown better than what we have - Yes. We need to start thinking about how to get over the line to be successful and get to finals and win trophies with this team.

I agree with you re LG, still looks decent in the few games I’ve seen him play. I’m not paying too much attention to his lack of game time given Lennon was his manager latterly.

Brown I’m not so sure about, always wondered if he’d get away the same antics with another team that he got away with at Celtic. Add in his age and I’m not fussed.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

I'd definitely answer no to both of those questions.

Brown is unlikely to play many games this season. Even if he does, it'll be his swan song, although I suspect he's having that now.

Is Griffiths a better player than Nisbet? One of them is in the Scotland squad this week with a bright international future ahead of him. The other won't play for Scotland again.

I'd far rather keep Nisbet than sign Griffiths.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    There are 90 minutes in a game so a player completing 10 league games in a season will have played 900 minutes.

Leigh hasn't managed that for the last 3 seasons so he isn't even a 10 game a season player never mind a 20 goal a season player.

He's not going to Aberdeen unless Celtic pay him off and he agrees to an incentive based contract with Egotistical Dave.

Alternative scenario is as follows:
    Someone posted on here that he is on £19k a week so let's say that's true. That means he still has another £1 million to pick up in wages from Celtic before his contract ends. Therefore at the end of this season Celtic would probably have to pay him £700k to go away and that would allow him to go to Aberdeen or Hibs for £4k a week and make the same money.
    However, Celtic is his home so he probably wants to stay there as long as he can, tieing scarves to posts when he is fit enough and available to do so.
    There could also be a scenario where a deal taking Nisbet to Celtic with Griffiths coming to us is a possibility.
    Hypotheticaly of course but could happen all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'd definitely answer no to both of those questions.

Brown is unlikely to play many games this season. Even if he does, it'll be his swan song, although I suspect he's having that now.

Is Griffiths a better player than Nisbet? One of them is in the Scotland squad this week with a bright international future ahead of him. The other won't play for Scotland again.

I'd far rather keep Nisbet than sign Griffiths.
    I guess no one knows if LG still has the hunger he had, but if he can get back to anything like his best I wouldn’t rule him out of the Scotland setup.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I guess no one knows if LG still has the hunger he had, but if he can get back to anything like his best I wouldn’t rule him out of the Scotland setup.
    That begs another question for the Scotland Euro squad. A fit Leigh Griffiths playing? That would help.

Blog Entries
    There could also be a scenario where a deal taking Nisbet to Celtic with Griffiths coming to us is a possibility.
    Hypotheticaly of course but could happen all the same.
    There was reference to this yesterday. It was in a ‘Celtic minded’ article somewhere, and broached the subject of Celtic taking advantage of Hibs ‘financial problems’. It was suggested that Celtic should go for Nisbet, Porteous and Doig at discounted prices.

That begs another question for the Scotland Euro squad. A fit Leigh Griffiths playing? That would help.
    Unfortunately I can’t see that happening. Little chance of him getting much of a chance at Celtic in the remaining games by the looks of things so doubt Clarke will select. Personally though if the choice was a half fit LG in the squad or McBurnie I know who I’d choose.

I suppose that's a possibility, but as things currently stand, and looking at all the available evidence, I wouldn't be betting on it happening.

If he can't flourish at Celtic, it's a big leap to think he will at a club where chances are much more limited.

I know he didn't always start, but that, in itself, begs the question why.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Sorry about that, thought you were more thick skinned. I'll bear it in mind for future.
    Definite contender for Best Apology That Isn’t Really An Apology 2022.

Unfortunately I can’t see that happening. Little chance of him getting much of a chance at Celtic in the remaining games by the looks of things so doubt Clarke will select. Personally though if the choice was a half fit LG in the squad or McBurnie I know who I’d choose.
    Clarke's already had him and only played him a few minutes. It;'s not a coincidence that three managers don't trust him to put in a shift.

Remember when we were all clamoring for Anthony Stokes to be brought "home" and that if we signed him we would be absolutely unstoppable. Then remember when we actually signed him and we were all saying we were going to be banging the goals in and we would be loving watching us pump teams because of the firepower we would have. Then remember how that went?

Aye, me too.

I suppose that's a possibility, but as things currently stand, and looking at all the available evidence, I wouldn't be betting on it happening.

If he can't flourish at Celtic, it's a big leap to think he will at a club where chances are much more limited.

I know he didn't always start, but that, in itself, begs the question why.
    Without wanting to restart the Doidge debate again, I think LG would have scored more than him and finished some of the chances he missed. Then add in his ability at dead balls. All hypothetical of course but I think LG would have scored more than Nisbet too this season if he’d played the same number of games for us.

I’m like you, have a hope he’ll come home and flourish. Tbf none of the Celtic strikers have flourished this season, so I’m not reading too much into that and I think Lennon obviously had issues with him, deserved or not I don’t really know.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    Just over 200 posts in 17 yrs.....
    Why is that important?

The answer to both qns is NO. LG hasnt been on form for over a season, and SB was being dropped by Celtic as he also isnt half the player he once was.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    The answer to both qns is NO. LG hasnt been on form for over a season, and SB was being dropped by Celtic as he also isnt half the player he once was.
    Who is better that we have then?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Without wanting to restart the Doidge debate again, I think LG would have scored more than him and finished some of the chances he missed. Then add in his ability at dead balls. All hypothetical of course but I think LG would have scored more than Nisbet too this season if he’d played the same number of games for us.

I’m like you, have a hope he’ll come home and flourish. Tbf none of the Celtic strikers have flourished this season, so I’m not reading too much into that and I think Lennon obviously had issues with him, deserved or not I don’t really know.
    That us all very hypothetical as LG just doesn't seem willing or able to be fit enough to play a decent number of games. Also he wouldn't bring the overall game that Doidge does. If he is out the team and replaced with LG it means extra defensive duties for other members of the team
    LG from a few years ago? Yes please, bite your hand off for that. LG of today? Not so sure, could be a very expensive bench warmer

Testimonial Due
    Leigh Griffiths will always score goals its in his nature, Scott Brown is different, would he get away with his arrogant ways at any other club?
    I don't think so!!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    We could go round in circles.

Leigh's capable of being by far our best player - maybe even the best striker Scotland has. The question is obviously whether he would be.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Why don’t you tell us?

Don't get me wrong, if he signs for us, I'll forget everything I've learned about getting my hopes up over the last 50 years, and immediately start doing impressions of a teenage girl who's just been given One Direction tickets. 😁😁

I was like that when Deek resigned, but I almost wish he hadn't come back now because it ended up a bit of a damp squib.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Definite contender for Best Apology That Isn’t Really An Apology 2022.
    I still haven't worked out why I'm getting a hard time on this thread.

Even though I honestly don't give one, I do object to people inventing stuff about me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Why don’t you tell us?
    Already been covered. Already said they are better than what we have.

Literally thousands of players are better than those we have.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I still haven't worked out why I'm getting a hard time on this thread.

Even though I honestly don't give one, I do object to people inventing stuff about me.
    I could be wrong but I think it's the Admin approach without being an Admin.

Hopefully users who have been registered since early 00's will want to contribute to this thread.

Who is better than we have? Hundreds of players. Is that really your qn?

Don't get me wrong, if he signs for us, I'll forget everything I've learned about getting my hopes up over the last 50 years, and immediately start doing impressions of a teenage girl who's just been given One Direction tickets. 😁😁

I was like that when Deek resigned, but I almost wish he hadn't come back now because it ended up a bit of a damp squib.
    Now that one did make me laugh.

Yes that’s a good point re DR, I’d hate it to end up similar with LG.

Left by mutual consent!
    Literally thousands of players are better than those we have.
    I think you misread... I asked who is better 'that' we have.

Already been covered. Already said they are better than what we have.
    They arent. You are totally wrong. Based on what analysis is either player better than what we currently have? Both are past it for different reasons.