hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Gordon

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'm far more comfortable with a considered and thorough approach to taking us forward than a rash 'rip it up and start again' approach.

He's had a good look at the club, from the due diligence ahead of purchasing it to understanding how it works and what he's got to work with. It's not an exciting approach but it is a necessary one, and what you hope to see is exciting plans and possibilities arising from it.

Things I'd expect/hope to see:
    - improved retail set-up (think pop-up shops in each of the stand concourses on match days) and it will be easier to buy from the club

- change to the existing season ticket model to give more flexibility/options to supporters, possibly even a Netflix style membership option that lets you pay monthly permanently until such a time that you choose not to, so you're automatically renewed each season. More 'value' to be built into the season ticket offering (think things like discounts, Hibs TV subscription included etc)

- training centre upgraded and other 'long term' projects started. If I was Ron Gordon, I'd be insisting on a coach development program, designed in house to make sure that there's a consistency of performance and improvement from the coaching staff (at all levels)

- stadium refresh. General housekeeping and maintenance stuff, plus a few nice to haves (big screens, updated scoreboard) etc.

- Increase spend per seat: If I was Ron Gordon, I'd be looking at ways of getting people into Easter Road earlier, and making it easy for them to spend money while they were there. Would set a 'spend per seat' target for the marketing/finance guys and let them get creative with it. For example, I have a season ticket but I don't generally spend any money at the ground - the food's too expensive for poor quality, I don't always pass a program seller and, depending on where I park, I often won't even see the Shop. I doubt I'm unique in that respect, so finding a way to get supporters like me motivated to spend more time and money at Easter Road on a match day opens up a lot of potential income.

- Change the model for how transfer budget is allocated (assuming it's not done like this already). Allocate a budget to each position based on priority and then task the manager and recruitment team with the job of trading up over a period of time for each position. For example: we identify a striker as a priority, and we give that position a budget of £1m (for argument's sake, I'm not saying we'll have a million to spend on a striker). We spend it and give the new signing a 3-4 year deal. If the manager can develop that striker to the point where we sell him on for a profit, then the manager gets the million pounds plus the profit to replace the striker with.
    Given we have most of the squad on longish contracts at the moment, this would allow the manager to target 2 or 3 key positions and add to it over time.

- improved sponsorship/corporate income. Expect this to be a priority and for us to have a 'best ever' deal with our next shirt sponsor next season

- some link with other teams, not necessarily in the US but would expect Hibs to become part of a network of teams that have a mutually beneficial arrangement.

- a nod towards a fairly hefty lift in the player budget short term, to underpin the other work and give the support confidence in the new owner.
    I’ll be the first to nominate matty_f for the role of Ron Gordon special adviser!

The carefully considered long term approach is the way forward. Better having £10 million spent over 5-10 years than all at once.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    From everything in that post, that's the bit I get called out for
    In these times of austerity we'd probably only afford the roly polys 😃
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Sure one of these boys was the first and last streaker to do a Klinsmann dive on their newly laid artificial turf at Dunfermlines EEP...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    In the spirit of open-ness or “Gord-nost” I’d like to see..:

Things we tried (took a punt on) and what we learned (within reason) ...

For examples...

Fitness programmes
    Catering (in-house/outsource)
    Links with other clubs
    Increasing revenues
    Recruitment

We should always be looking to continuously improve so should be reflecting on the periods past.

Don’t think the club would move away from getting as much of the season ticket money upfront as possible.A running monthly system is good for the fan but not so good if you want to buy a player.

I am all for the Club being integrated into the Community and innovative services being provided from the Stadium like Health Care if that’s helping people address issues and meeting needs
    But the Core Business remains Football and to get bums on Seats we need a product on the Pitch
    So am keen to hear Ron Gordon’s Plans to grow income An indoor pitch may be needed but if it doesn’t generate income it’s a big expense within guarantee it improves the quality of player we develop imo
    Match Day Experience is best enjoyed when we are winning I can love with crap P A system if we are winning I don’t need a Score Board flashing up other stuff
    Food however can always be improved and if that generates more income great
    Half time I prefer chatting to mates in the concourse So unless Neil Young or some other singer I liked was doing an impromptu gig there isn’t a lot that would entice me to watch half time entertainment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Really? I was last there for the relegation playoff first leg and I didn't notice any.
    Was there in the match earlier in the season. It was only at the away end. Not sure if you can make it out, but the poles keeping them up are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mr invisible. .time for plan ,it is 2020.

Well we still await the big plan even now, I just hope it is attached to an action plan and not sweeping generalisations ,remember Romanovs big plan anyone?
    I really really hope for a detailed point by point action plan funded sufficiently and realistic and AMBITIOUS.
    Meantime I return to my earlier remark hot water in the loos would be a start to enhance the match day experience oh and a few coathooks from b&Q would not go amiss!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    Well we still await the big plan even now, I just hope it is attached to an action plan and not sweeping generalisations ,remember Romanovs big plan anyone?
    I really really hope for a detailed point by point action plan funded sufficiently and realistic and AMBITIOUS.
    Meantime I return to my earlier remark hot water in the loos would be a start to enhance the match day experience oh and a few coathooks from b&Q would not go amiss!
    Chips

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Nets at livi behind the goals too

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Nets at livi behind the goals too

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    No fans to throw the ball back

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Is part of the strategy presented to the Board in December now being implemented...?

Ticketmaster costs - pass onto the fans

Player Pathway - get the young guys back on loan, promote them at every opportunity on social media and tell Jack to work with these guys first

Hibs TV Interviews - make the fans pay for the interesting stuff

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Is part of the strategy presented to the Board in December now being implemented...?

Ticketmaster costs - pass onto the fans

Player Pathway - get the young guys back on loan, promote them at every opportunity on social media and tell Jack to work with these guys first

Hibs TV Interviews - make the fans pay for the interesting stuff
    😴😴😴

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    😴😴😴
    Think the other poster makes some valid points.

1 and 3 are about maximising revenue, or not doing something at cost depending on how you look at it. From a business perspective, that is absolutely something Ron could have looked at. And as for youth development, that’s something he spoke about at outset. It’s not something we’ve excelled in and it’s not something that is going to improve if you don’t give them a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    ������
    I know. I’m really sorry for boring you but I’m sure that there are some fans with the mental capacity to understand that things that were “free” to them before 1st January now incur a charge.

if you go to c35 away games per calendar year that’s an extra c£50 and if you want to watch the exciting stuff on hibs tv that’s an extra £60 now as well.

So, I’ll indulge you even more and ask if you knew that each dept at Hibs were tasked with reducing costs or increasing income. These were presented to the Board for acceptance in December and it’s not too far a leap to suggest that we are seeing these implemented now.

I’m sure some hibs fans will find these thoughts interesting and worthy of consideration but if it’s bored you then that’s also OK, I’ll keep my thoughts about your online persona to myself.
    Last edited by PaulSmith; 10-01-2020 at 12:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I know. I’m really sorry for boring you but I’m sure that there are some fans with the mental capacity to understand that things that were “free” to them before 1st January now incur a charge.

if you go to c35 away games per calendar year that’s an extra c£50 and if you want to watch the exciting stuff on hibs tv that’s an extra £60 now as well.

So, I’ll indulge you even more and ask if you knew that each dept at Hibs were tasked with reducing costs or increasing income. These were presented to the Board for acceptance in December and it’s not too far a leap to suggest that we are seeing these implemented now.

I’m sure some hibs fans will find these thoughts interesting and worthy of consideration but if it’s bored you then that’s also OK, I’ll keep my thoughts about your online persona to myself.
    I cant speak for anyone else, but any inside info you may have is welcome

As for the costs thing, it makes sense to reduce costs and increase revenues - however it is not much fun if all of that means more costs to the fans for an identical service.

I would be delighted to see the commercial side of the club doing (significantly) more in order that us fans dont have to "pony up" for everything - generally, Scottish football is very expensive for the product provided.

Whatever, we will see fairly soon how RG wants to run the club - if his grand plan is neither grand or much of a plan, I expect he might get a kicking at the AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    We accepted STF not giving us the finances to compete with hearts and recently Aberdeen, because of everything he done for us. However I can't see some fans accepting it from Ron.
    I really don't see Hibs getting an investor that will do this, ever. Probably best as well, I personally don't want to be relying on huge owner investment to compete, better to win through consistent ways like producing good players, getting good sponsors, a good scouting network etc.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I cant speak for anyone else, but any inside info you may have is welcome

As for the costs thing, it makes sense to reduce costs and increase revenues - however it is not much fun if all of that means more costs to the fans for an identical service.

I would be delighted to see the commercial side of the club doing (significantly) more in order that us fans dont have to "pony up" for everything - generally, Scottish football is very expensive for the product provided.

Whatever, we will see fairly soon how RG wants to run the club - if his grand plan is neither grand or much of a plan, I expect he might get a kicking at the AGM.
    Thanks.

I don’t have any inside info though, it’s just remembering what was said and putting yourself into the shoes of the people running the various depts. What Hibs have done makes business sense but fitba fans are slightly different as we add emotion into everything.

In regards the player pathway the first team coach is set KPI’s to have academy players in the first team or squad. It makes sense for some to ask..”Why pay £1m over 3 seasons for McNulty when we don’t know if Gullen can do the same job for a fraction and he can also make us £1m in future transfer fees?”

The same with Fraser Murray and perhaps Omeonga.

For me I’m neither here nor there about RG. The things that I’ve mentioned should be well within the remit of Leeann Dempster, if it’s taken Paton or RG to ask then so be it.

I’ve completely resigned myself to Hibs being run the same as it’s always been. It’s basically the same old faces in the Boardroom, they are risk adverse and RG isn’t going to say “here’s £5m, crack on guys”... the fans will be asked to pay a little bit more and they’ll strive to increase commercial income.

It will be a natural increase rather than a revolution.

Do I think it will make a material difference, nope and certainly not within the next couple of years.

Thanks.

I don’t have any inside info though, it’s just remembering what was said and putting yourself into the shoes of the people running the various depts. What Hibs have done makes business sense but fitba fans are slightly different as we add emotion into everything.

In regards the player pathway the first team coach is set KPI’s to have academy players in the first team or squad. It makes sense for some to ask..”Why pay £1m over 3 seasons for McNulty when we don’t know if Gullen can do the same job for a fraction and he can also make us £1m in future transfer fees?”

For me I’m neither here nor there about RG. The things that I’ve mentioned should be well within the remit of Leeann Dempster, if it’s taken Paton or RG to ask then so be it.

I’ve completely resigned myself to Hibs being run the same as it’s always been. It’s basically the same old faces in the Boardroom, they are risk adverse and RG isn’t going to say “here’s £5m, crack on guys”... the fans will be asked to pay a little bit more and they’ll strive to increase commercial income.

Do I think it will make a material difference, nope and certainly not within the next couple of years.
    Youth development definitely needs looked at. Eddie May has been in post for more than 5 years now and we are not seeing players break through in anything like the numbers that the club hoped for.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Thanks.

In most respects I agree with what you say and looking at it from the ownerships perspective, you can see the rationale. However, I thought there had been a significant change in the boardroom, with the obvious counter to that being Dempster?

In terms of risk averse and asking the fans to pay a bit more. That’s all very well when fans can see the team heading in the right direction. However, gambling on youth development like you suggest when the are stacked against you is very high risk approach?

I’m sure Gordon and his advisors understand that Hibs are enjoying a purple patch in terms of crowds, goodwill and that more underwhelming seasons will see that evaporate at the same rate as it accumulated?

Bottom line, fans aren’t daft. We will swallow add on costs and always welcome young players getting a chance but if the team fails to deliver then Gordon will be looking at seriously reduced income through attendances. Losing 4-5 thousand fans at each home game isn’t a clever business move.

Hopefully, our new ownership have a bit more ambition than you speculate. As has been said by others STF had huge goodwill from fans, that softened the response to adversity we faced under the Petrie regime. Gordon has only question marks against his reason for buying Hibs at the moment. Not wise to alienate the fans by screwing more cash, whilst simultaneously downgrading the product on the pitch at the same time.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Notice the match highlights and post match interviews from today’s game are only going to be available to hibstv subscribers as well so think PS is right about trying to add value to HibsTV for people that pay for it.

It’s not for me though, I pay for season tickets for me and my boy and what feels like about a million quid a month in the shop, if that’s not enough to get to hear what the managers thoughts are then so be it. Anything of interest will end up in here and in the press anyway.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Notice the match highlights and post match interviews from today’s game are only going to be available to hibstv subscribers as well so think PS is right about trying to add value to HibsTV for people that pay for it.

It’s not for me though, I pay for season tickets for me and my boy and what feels like about a million quid a month in the shop, if that’s not enough to get to hear what the managers thoughts are then so be it. Anything of interest will end up in here and in the press anyway.
    There used to be more subscribers-only content on Hibs TV (often Andrew Sleight interviews at East Mains). When Tom Zanelli started doing Outside the Box, Fontaine of Knowledge, etc. this was sponsored by Maarathon bet who obvously wanted as many people to see it as possible. At this point, apart from match streams & highlights, most Hibs TV content became freely available.

In my opinion some sort of middle ground would be good, eg. interviews & fun stuff for subscribers for the first 5-7 days then public thereafter.

I have Hibs TV and use it regularly for watching games, interviews etc but have been noticing the majority of it was going on the Hibs YouTube channel anyway.

I think this will encourage more folk to sign up for £6? A month which is fair. Season ticket holders could/should be given some form of discount imo however the discount offered I’m sure wouldn’t work out as too much of a saving.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    In most respects I agree with what you say and looking at it from the ownerships perspective, you can see the rationale. However, I thought there had been a significant change in the boardroom, with the obvious counter to that being Dempster?

In terms of risk averse and asking the fans to pay a bit more. That’s all very well when fans can see the team heading in the right direction. However, gambling on youth development like you suggest when the are stacked against you is very high risk approach?

I’m sure Gordon and his advisors understand that Hibs are enjoying a purple patch in terms of crowds, goodwill and that more underwhelming seasons will see that evaporate at the same rate as it accumulated?

Bottom line, fans aren’t daft. We will swallow add on costs and always welcome young players getting a chance but if the team fails to deliver then Gordon will be looking at seriously reduced income through attendances. Losing 4-5 thousand fans at each home game isn’t a clever business move.

Hopefully, our new ownership have a bit more ambition than you speculate. As has been said by others STF had huge goodwill from fans, that softened the response to adversity we faced under the Petrie regime. Gordon has only question marks against his reason for buying Hibs at the moment. Not wise to alienate the fans by screwing more cash, whilst simultaneously downgrading the product on the pitch at the same time.
    re the Board.

Gordon - July 2019

Dempster - June 2014
    Houston - December 2011
    Jones - January 2007
    Langholm - April 2006
    Dunn - Reappointed June 2015

Paton - July 2019
    Power - fans rep/director - June 2019
    Larnach - Finance director Feb 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I really don't see Hibs getting an investor that will do this, ever. Probably best as well, I personally don't want to be relying on huge owner investment to compete, better to win through consistent ways like producing good players, getting good sponsors, a good scouting network etc.
    But to get good scouting systems and good coaches you need to invest money and if they are doing their job they will get poached by bigger clubs But agree would rather we did that in place The pleasure from watching a group of talented youngster s come through the system is immeasurable
    But it is so difficult to achieve The Golden Generation of Brown Thompson Riorden O Conner etc seems so long ago now .and big clubs now buy young players from clubs if they see potential
    But until Ron Unveils his plans we are in the Dark
    In the here and now though .This Transfer window is crucial to where we finish up in the League

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Youth development definitely needs looked at. Eddie May has been in post for more than 5 years now and we are not seeing players break through in anything like the numbers that the club hoped for.

How many were the club hoping would break into the 1st team?

The Ron Plan is really starting to drag on now. They should have least have been trip feeding something. Saying nothing at all doesnt help anyone involved in the club at any level.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The Ron Plan is really starting to drag on now. They should have least have been trip feeding something. Saying nothing at all doesnt help anyone involved in the club at any level.
    Especially when the AGM is overdue.

I think people want to give Ron the benefit of any doubt and I think most people will assume Rod and STF will have done their due diligence on him to make sure there’s nothing untoward going on but it’s really not been a great start for him in terms of communication, transparency and making a real difference to us in terms of the transfer market.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Was there in the match earlier in the season. It was only at the away end. Not sure if you can make it out, but the poles keeping them up are.
    Definitely. At one point in the 2nd half the string along the top had sagged to the extent it was on the halfway line from my vantage point. Troublesome.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Especially when the AGM is overdue.

I think people want to give Ron the benefit of any doubt and I think most people will assume Rod and STF will have done their due diligence on him to make sure there’s nothing untoward going on but it’s really not been a great start for him in terms of communication, transparency and making a real difference to us in terms of the transfer market.
    AGM is well overdue 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Surely their strategy and financial planning is in place by now