hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nabbed this from Twitter but surely this is an improvement?

JR last 5 games in charge
    3pts
    No Clean Sheets
    3 Goals scored
    5 Goals conceded

Maloney first 5 games in charge
    7 Points and cup win
    3 Clean Sheets
    5 goals scored
    3 goals conceded
    I was hugely optimistic after Maloney's first 2 games.

The last 3 have knocked that confidence in a big way as it hasn't been pretty. OK, it's been pretty awful.

But the point made is a decent one - the points total and the end result hasn't been unacceptable. We lost at Celtic Park, as one might expect. We got through the cup tie against an awkward opponent. We got a point away to the team directly above us in the league. All of that was whilst playing poorly.

To play poorly but progress in competitions and pick up points can be considered to be a strength.

So I take on board the point about his points return so far.

I just wished that I was looking forward to the weekend with confidence. TBH I just wished I was looking forward to watch Hibs play and I'm not, as it has all the hallmarks of a frustrating afternoon. Stuffy opponent, restless crowd, a team still trying to adapt to a new way of playing.

3 games ago I thought we had a great chance of catching and leapfrogging Hearts. Right now I think we've got no chance and that's not because I think they're any good.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    If we are winning and playing well opinions will change.

It's more stubborn the other way - back the manager until sacked then it's all his fault afterall and back the next guy who can do no wrong.

I'll be delighted if Maloney works out. I've seen very little to show he's an improvement though apart from having Belgium assistant on his CV - that doesn't make you a good manager though.
    I’ve seen more than a little. Clear difference in style, that whilst lacking creatively will be more effective in time with the right players. Results have improved whether you like it or not.

You’ve been anti-Maloney from the get go. It’s boring.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    You're not wrong S, howz you and the family, well I hope?

All good racking up Grandkids if they keep misbehaving I will take them to ER

Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post
    All good racking up Grandkids if they keep misbehaving I will take them to ER

Haha

Nothing would fall to Nisbet or an advance player in the game until the Doidge chance.

So far it seems we still struggle to break down teams who sit back, even at Celtic park they just backed off us.

I'm hoping a few things click on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    You forgot pumping the champions at hampden in they stats. You also forgot covid and injuries, something Jack was meant to be cut a lot of slack over.
    Maloney is also having to now play without having the same player who won that game for us

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    That's what's worried me. The United game was decent enough (although we did still have Boyle then), but the other 4 games under SM- we scored from a set piece v Aberdeen, took extra time to score against Cove and didn't really look like scoring v Celtic and Motherwell.

If you don't get up the park with any kind of speed you're just allowing teams to get back into shape and create their 2 deep walls of defence which become really difficult to penetrate- especially as we have no physical presence up front.

This is Scotland where you're up against hammer throwers, terrible weather and teams who are quite happy to sit in. We need to be able to mix it up a bit. This modern possession based no risk football can be deadly boring even when it's teams like Man City playing it - I just don't see it being what we want to see week in week out.

Three games so far this year and a grand total of one goal, in extra time, against Cove.

That's really worrying and needs to be addressed.

We are a much better team with Porteous in it. Looking forward to Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Taking a step back

Maloney has came up against
    Celtic 2nd
    Motherwell 4th
    Aberdeen 6th
    Dundee United (sure they were above us on Boxing Day?)

Lost to Celtic away

Jack Ross I’m not convinced at all would have mustered 2 points out all those fixtures

Believe in maloney
    When he 1st came in I feared we'd be getting 0 points in his 1st 4 fixtures, which at that time included the derby, so I'm very happy with 7 out of 12. 2 home games up next and 6 points will go a long way to winning over those out of patience, particularly if we win the derby.

Porteous Rocky and Hanlon should be a formidable 3, hope Hanlon is fit

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    When he 1st came in I feared we'd be getting 0 points in his 1st 4 fixtures, which at that time included the derby, so I'm very happy with 7 out of 12. 2 home games up next and 6 points will go a long way to winning over those out of patience, particularly if we win the derby.
    The derby is massive for him. Win it and he’ll be a hero, lose it and he’ll get grief. I suppose that’s the case for any hibs manager, but winning his first derby will go a long way towards convincing fans he’s the man for the job.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The derby is massive for him. Win it and he’ll be a hero, lose it and he’ll get grief. I suppose that’s the case for any hibs manager, but winning his first derby will go a long way towards convincing fans he’s the man for the job.
    Well, until he loses his 2nd one. Rosses 2nd one got talked about far more than his 1st one.

Tbh, an element of this support will never be pleased.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Don't know about that.....remember the Horgan game at the piggery under Hecky. We were brilliant that day. A false dawn if ever there was one.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Well, until he loses his 2nd one. Rosses 2nd one got talked about far more than his 1st one.

Tbh, an element of this support will never be pleased.
    Are you still measuring Maloneys first 10 games directly against Ross’ first 10 games? How is the comparison looking and will Maloney survive his first 10 games?

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Are you still measuring Maloneys first 10 games directly against Ross’ first 10 games? How is the comparison looking and will Maloney survive his first 10 games?
    Its weird how obsessed some people are with me on here.

I'm fully behind any Hibs manager, especially after 5 bloody games. Lets not be daft here and think that there isn't a very big 10 days coming up for Shaun. He really needs to get it right

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Its weird how obsessed some people are with me on here.

I'm fully behind any Hibs manager, especially after 5 bloody games. Lets not be daft here and think that there isn't a very big 10 days coming up for Shaun. He really needs to get it right
    That’s fair enough. Doesn’t answer my question and it was your 10 game comparison you made, but I’ll leave it there.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I don’t think there’s any more pressure on this derby than before. If anything there’s been very little said about it.

Folk will be disappointed if we lose but I don’t think we’ll see a meltdown on here or chants of Maloney must go!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I don’t think there’s any more pressure on this derby than before. If anything there’s been very little said about it.

Folk will be disappointed if we lose but I don’t think we’ll see a meltdown on here or chants of Maloney must go!

Want a bet ?

Was there last night. Maloney persisted with back five with wingbacks even when Well’ went down to ten. Far too defensive and just didn’t work. Huge missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss_Nass View Post
    Was there last night. Maloney persisted with back five with wingbacks even when Well’ went down to ten. Far too defensive and just didn’t work. Huge missed opportunity.
    Thought the changes he made were fine after the sending off, defensive minded players off and more attack minded players on. Game was constantly stopping after the red though.

I was more annoyed at what I saw before that. It was clear the game was just drifting along and our first change was to bring Drey Wright on.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Thought the changes he made were fine after the sending off, defensive minded players off and more attack minded players on. Game was constantly stopping after the red though.

I was more annoyed at what I saw before that. It was clear the game was just drifting along and our first change was to bring Drey Wright on.

Wright getting a game is bemusing. Don’t know why Doidge wasn’t brought on sooner albeit he did miss an absolute sitter.

Wright getting a game is bemusing. Don’t know why Doidge wasn’t brought on sooner albeit he did miss an absolute sitter.
    Come on be fair. It was a good chance, but no way a sitter.

Finished the game with Doidge, Nisbet, Wright, Mitchell and Henderson who's an attacking mid, pretty attacking I'd say, oh and 2 attacking wingbacks.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The Wright that played against Dundee United getting an opportunity wasn’t at all bemusing.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Totally agree - there's no point being invested in the manager; he'll be here (and the next one and the next one after that) for max 3 years, more than likely less. Support the team and stop the bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The Wright that played against Dundee United getting an opportunity wasn’t at all bemusing.
    If you want someone to come on and provide a greater attacking threat, it’s bemusing. He did all right against Utd and Celtic but just in terms of being disciplined. If we continue to bring him on, we’ll continue to struggle in the final third IMO.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I understand that Scott Allan isn't the player he used to be and his time may be nearing the end here, but its baffling that Wright gets on before him. Scott Allan created more in 20 minutes at McDiarmid Park than Drey Wright has in his entire Hibs career.

Really puzzled by a number of Maloney's decisions so far, including his insistence on playing Campbell and the lack of game time for Doidge.

Getting really tired of this instant gratification society these days ,you think players learn to be professional players overnight,and managers ,many great players teams and managers took time
    Last edited by Martymck; 27-01-2022 at 09:00 PM.

Haven't read the full thread. But Maloney has made a very good start imo. Only Celtic have beaten us and excluding the Parkhead result we've won 3 and drawn 1 with 3 clean sheets. And have only lost 1 goal in 4 games (exclusive Celtic).

You can see what he is trying to develop as a working formation and imo made some decent signings.

He's only been here for 5 games. Patience lads and lassies.

Same with Josh Campbell. This young player has only made around 15 appearances for Hibs. Let him play and develop and support him.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Haven't read the full thread. But Maloney has made a very good start imo. Only Celtic have beaten us and excluding the Parkhead result we've won 3 and drawn 1 with 3 clean sheets. And have only lost 1 goal in 4 games (exclusive Celtic).

You can see what he is trying to develop as a working formation and imo made some decent signings.

He's only been here for 5 games. Patience lads and lassies.

Same with Josh Campbell. This young player has only made around 15 appearances for Hibs. Let him play and develop and support him.

You are right patience is required, and it's to early to know for sure how this is going to turn out. We can only comment on the evidence available so far. On the face of it your stats look pretty good, no doubt but then it depends how you list stats - 3 games without a goal or a win in 90 minutes is not great.

I don't see anyone not supporting Campbell or Maloney, just expressing opinions.