Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brown
    Zitelli
    David Murphy
    Hughes
    Jones
    See what you’ve done there.
    An all time Hibs 11 would be a good thread!
    No two team the same.

Darren Jackson - my all time favourite player.

Gordon Hunter - gave me a lifelong intolerance for defenders who jockey by getting stuck in and tackling with zero pissing about.

Scott Allan - a unique ability to weight a pass and carve a defence open and had a beautiful drop of the shoulder and burst of pace over a short distance to create space for said beautifully weighted passes earlier in his time with us.

Mixu - hugely under appreciated player whose arrival started the turnaround for our relegated side and whose ability to hold the ball up glued an excellent side together.

Lewis Stevenson - medals, attitude, ability. Has never shirked anything in his time with us, has steadily improved his technical ability during his time with us and sets the standard that all young players should aspire to.

Honourable mentions - John McGinn, Russell Latapy, Franck Sauzee, Jim Leighton, Ivan Sproule, Boozy and Scott Brown, but it’s favourite players, not best.
    Last edited by Smartie; 18-02-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Franck Sauzee
    Lewis Stevenson
    Sir David Gray
    John McGinn
    Mixu Paatelainen

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Stanton
    Sauzee
    Wright
    Stevenson
    McGregor

[QUOTE=Smartie;7284456]Darren Jackson - my all time favourite player.

I remember a game against Aberdeen when Jackson just stood out as the best player on the pitch by a mile. He was brilliant for Hibs.

The only other player that I've seen stand out so much for Hibs was Leigh Griffiths.

SGD - Always thought we were much better when he played.

McGinn - Limitless energy and really got us.

Michael O'Neil - Childhood favourite.

Latapy - Genius.

Sauzee - Utter class.

Stanton
    Sauzee
    Stevenson
    SJM
    Boyler

Not in that order though.

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Stanton
    Sauzee
    Stevenson
    SJM
    Boyler

Not in that order though.
    Yeah Boyle has to be in mine too.
    His development and success with Hibs, pretty amazing.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson
    Paul Hanlon
    Darren McGregor
    David Gray
    Martin Boyle

There could be a lot of players from the past I could have in there, but there are so many players we had under Stubbs that just got this club. That’s not including McGinn, Allan, Cummings, Fonts, Logan, and quite a few more.

That team, and the back four in particular, are amongst the greats of this club in terms of what they achieved and their character as well.

Of the current team most likely to fill that same combination, I’d say Josh Campbell has the same attitude.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Geads is still a ridiculously talented footballer
    Murphy was different class
    Stevenson great servant upmost respect for the guy
    McGinn by far and away the best hibs player I’ve ever seen
    Fyvie was seriously underrated and I was gutted when he left
    Zemmama was a little **** and we could be doing with someone with that same natural talent and nack of scoring in big games (from my memory anyway) now.

Special mention of course to Amadou Konte, Momodou Bojang, Valdys Trakys, Josh Vela and Shelton Martis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    [QUOTE=Smartie;7284456]Darren Jackson - my all time favourite player.

Mines too mate! I wore a bandgae on my wrist every day at play time in honour of Jacko! Ha ha! Loved him and was gutted when he left.

There wasn't a better non OF player in the league in the 3 seasons prior to him leaving us. top class!

John Blackley
    Alex Edwards
    Franck Sauzee
    David Zitelli
    Russell Latapy

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Boozy
    McGinn
    Stevenson
    Riordan
    Murphy
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Murphy - first touch
    Sproule - rapid
    Boozy - class
    M O’Neill - magician
    Charnley - better than Maradona

Sir David Gray - total lion of a man
    Sauzee - effortless class
    Latapy - magic wee thing
    Efe Ambrose - great entertainment
    Mixu - great strength

[QUOTE=Percy Vere;7284145]This is too hard…sorry Players and reasons Stanton remembe

EASY FOR ME

ARTHUR DUNCAN
    ARTHUR DUNCAN
    ARTHUR DUNCAN
    ALAN GORDON
    PAT STANTON (ONE & ONLY)

Maudette

Darren Jackson
    Franck Sauzee
    Scott Brown
    Derek Riordan
    John McGinn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Derek Riordan x5

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Just for today... and because I'm pisseda s a newt

John McGinn and Ryan Porteous

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Favourites, not any other criteria;

Kevin Thomson, first spell, I just loved the way he carried and passed the ball, so assured and looking to move it forward.

Whittaker, first spell. He could dribble outrageously (and terrifyingly) whenever he wanted, just a joy to watch.

David Murphy, seeing him trap a ball was like watching a baseball landing in the catcher’s mitt. He seriously could have released a DVD of his hundred greatest traps.

Paul Hanlon, utter pleasure to watch someone who simply loves the club. Promoted a couple of years ahead of his dev peers and been a fixture pretty much ever since.

That’s four. The only one who I might have changed would be Murph for either Kevin Harper, who just burst into the team with all that raw energy and potential and gave us one of my favourite GIRUY derby victories, or Murph for Ian Murray. Like most of the names here he was asked to play several different positions for the club. I just really liked him, wished we had been able to keep him and have him cement a specific position.

That makes all my selections home-grown I think, bar Murphy. There is probably something in that.

My fifth is Lewis. No reason required and a hundred reasons appropriate.

I'm going to go for the ones I saw play (I've not been to ER to watch football for years)

1 - Crunchie. My favourite player, always gave his all.
    2 - Kevin Harper. Always loved watching him, felt real excitement when he was on the ball.
    3 - Gordon Hunter. I was behind the goals at Tynie 'that day'. Brilliant experience in my early Hibs supporting time.
    4 - Jim Leighton. Safe pair of hands and I liked that his career revived with us.
    5 - Danny Lennon. I always think fondly of his performance at home v Aberdeen in 93/94. I thought we'd gotten ourselves another Crunchie.

Pat Stanton
    John Collins
    Derek Riordan
    Joelle Murray
    Ivan Sproule.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Sauzee
    Scott brown
    Derek riordan
    Darren Jackson
    Keith wright

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lewis Stevenson
    Arthur Duncan
    Martin Boyle
    Pat Stanton
    Derek Riordan

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson
    Franck Sauzee
    John McGinn
    Ally Mcleod
    Mixu

Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    I would only mention players from my boyhood days when Hibernian players truly were my idols and I could honestly say that I was a Hibs "fanatic". Since then, relationships, family, work, and business has taken equal importance and I can no longer say I have any "heroes" since becoming an adult. also, I would choose them based more upon how I found them as people, rather than players.

1. John Collins. Along with Andy Goram was my ultimate idol, and when I went along to Easter Road one day with my friend to have a kick about in the car park it was an absolute pleasure when the Hibernian team came out around lunch-time and had a little kick about with us. The whole team were so friendly, and in particular John Collins who seemed happy to chat away with me. They asked me who my favourite player was, and I pointed to John Collins. They asked me who my least favourite player was, and I said "Joe Tortolano" and they all laughed. They asked me what I thought of Alex Miller, and I said "he's not very good", and John Collins laughed and agreed. Afterwards we all sat on the wall and I sat next to John Collins and we discussed the up and coming trip to RFC Liege. George McCluskey asked if I was going and I said "yes, my father is taking me". He even asked who my father was, like maybe he would know him. When John Collins passed half his coke bottle to me I was so honoured. WOW! Amazing!.. I did have a few interactions with Andy Goram, but whilst he was my idol as a player, he never appeared so easy to approach and always seemed more reserved than the likes of John Collins whom was easy to chat to.
    2. Keith Houchen. I was present in the car park again on the day that Keith Houchen signed for us. And Lawrie Reilly came out to the car park and asked my friend and I if we would like to see Keith Houchen. He took us to the board room where Keith Houchen was sitting and we shook Keith's hand and said "welcome to Hibs", and we asked him to score against Hearts on Saturday, which he did. We even got a mention in the local newspaper which mentioned the two boys that waited hours to welcome Keith Houchen to Hibs. Rather disappointingly Keith Houchen gradually became one of my least favourite players. Which I felt a bit sad about.
    3. Darren Jackson. Darren Jackson's father Adam Jackson used to be my football coach before he lost his job due to constantly using foul language. However I liked Adam Jackson, and even after he lost his job coaching us he always seemed to have time for me. If he saw me in the street he would always refer to me by my second name and call me over. He would ask how I am doing and who i am playing for. One Saturday morning when Newcastle United were not playing he invited his son Darren Jackson along to watch us. At half-time Adam Jackson stood back and allowed Darren to give us our half-time teamtalk. All I wanted to know was whether Darren was going to sign for Hibs or not. So completely ignoring his teamtalk I asked him "are you going to sign for Hibs?", and he responded, "we'll see". But for a boy that is a Hibs fanatic this was a special occasion for me.
    4. Paul Kane. As a youngster Paul Kane kind of got to know me a little, to the point he recognised me, and if we passed eachother in the street he would always say "Hi". One day the Hibs team played a charity bowling match against St Andrews Steelworks Bowling Club, and the entire Hibs team were present. Afterwards in the clubhouse the Hibs players were all sat around their tables drinking, and I was there playing pool, and I noticed Kano sitting around the table with some other players, so I went over to the table and had a wee chat with him. It felt great feeling like I knew one of my idols well enough to just go over and start speaking to him.
    5. Grant Holt & Andrew Shinnie. Ok, I am an adult by now, but it was still pleasing when once as a private hire driver I was called out to pick up Grant Holt, Andrew Shinnie and a couple of Hungarian trialists from the Hibernian training centre in Tranent. Grant Holt got in the front seat and Andrew Shinnie got in the back with the trialists. I was surprised about how little communication there was between the four, and Grant Holt spent the entire journey to waverley station speaking to me. The only thing he ever said to Andrew Shinnie was that his leg was a bit sore and that he was going to call off training for a couple of days. I got the impression Andrew Shinnie was actually a bit shy. But they seemed like nice blokes, and in particular Grant Holt, who I spoke with non stop. Oh, someone else that once got in my private hire vehicle was "John Robertson", boooooooo.
    6. Am I allowed a sixth? Alex Cropley. Once picked me up in his taxi from the Royal Infirmary a&e department at around 5am and gave me a free taxi as apparently he was going home now, was heading that way anyway, and he also declared that he knew me from the Links Tavern. That was quite an honourable moment, even though I was an adult by this time.
    7. Ok, Ok, Ok, I do have an idol from my adult years. Sir David Gray. He is not someone I know personally, nor have had any form of contact with, but he gave me one of the happiest moments of my life.
    8. John Brownlie. He does not know me from Adam. I've never spoken to him. Never met him. If he saw me on the street he would not recognise me. However apparently he is a distant relative of mine through my Grandmother's side. Her distant cousin, nephew, or something of the sort.

I did have a brief encounter with Derek Riordan in Ryans bar after a Hibs match. He was there with a few Hibs players. Garry O'Connor might have been one of them. Others might have been Scott Brown and Gary Caldwell. I had only been singing Derek Riordan's name hours before when he suddenly barged in front of me in the queue and began ordering drinks for all the girls. I didn't say anything, I just decided to wait patiently, but there was a few expletives running through my mind. In the end, I got my pint, downed it and left, because I had no chance of pulling any girls whilst that lot were there. So I liked Derek Riordan as a player, but more importantly, as a person, we did not get off to a great start.
    Good read.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Gray
    Sauzee
    Latapy
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

I started going regularly in the mid 90's so anything before then I can't really claim to have any kind of great knowledge on outsde of stuff I've read and the odd clip etc. Almost impossible to limit it to 5 favourites considering how many cracking players we've had over the years of me watching mind.

Darren Jackson
    Pat McGinlay
    Derek Riordan
    Ivan Sproule
    Franck Sauzee

Special mention for Jay Shields, purely for that two footed challenge on Paul Hartley which led to a goal against that mob about 17 years ago now. Amazing how just one tackle like that can stick in the memory but it was THAT good (and a great finish by Deek for the goal it led to).

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson
    Darren Jackson
    David Murphy
    Paul Hanlon
    David Gray