hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Seats

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps my choice of wording was a tad extreme. But I've made my thoughts clear. Hibs will present this as a community project, hibs class event etc but really it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Robbing good hibs fans to pay for big screens.
    Argue in an empty house comes to mind.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Hibs are my club, and I care about us a lot. But the current PR alley we're being lead down is one of a better business and more investment in the club. But then on the other hand Hibs still want handouts?

Sorry but you can't spend money on big screens one day and then ask for "volunteers" the next.
    Mr....

I do see the crux of your argument. I honestly get what your are saying.

I think you would have been better staying clear of this particular post and perhaps argued your point in a post that was more money, financial, ownership, shares etc driven?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Yes they can, to get fans to feel even more part of the club. I can't believe anyone would criticise that.
    Exactly this …..

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s about as intelligent as comparing fans volunteering to slave Labour. My knowledge of the slave trade isn’t extensive, but I’m pretty sure that none of it was done on a voluntary basis.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishJohn View Post
    Mr....

I do see the crux of your argument. I honestly get what your are saying.

I think you would have been better staying clear of this particular post and perhaps argued your point in a post that was more money, financial, ownership, shares etc driven?
    You might be right. I don't think it would matter though, there's a complete aversion to anything that's portrayed as negative amongst most members on here. It's a shame, it often becomes a witch hunt and is counter productive to honest debate.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    If slave labour is your thing then crack on. Hibs as a business turn over way more money than I'll ever have and Ron is worth an insane amount too. So if I've got free time to volunteer I'd far rather be using it to help someone who's worse off than I am.
    Fool.

Surely voluntary work is down to each individual, i wouldn't do any for the Samaritans or Oxfam, but i'd love to do something for Hibs even if it was just painting a wall or whitewashing the steps.

It's not up to anyone to criticise who i would volunteer my time to, or those i wouldn't give my time to either.

My time, my choice.

First Team Breakthrough
    You might be right. I don't think it would matter though, there's a complete aversion to anything that's portrayed as negative amongst most members on here. It's a shame, it often becomes a witch hunt and is counter productive to honest debate.
    'becomes a witch hunt'.......you've been called out for comparing fans volunteering to slave labour and can't deal with the responses.

Perhaps my choice of wording was a tad extreme. But I've made my thoughts clear. Hibs will present this as a community project, hibs class event etc but really it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Robbing good hibs fans to pay for big screens.
    Who’s getting robbed here? When did we pay for the screens?

For weeks now Hibs fans have been saying they would like to volunteer to do work around the stadium. Hibs put a thing out saying get in touch if you are available. Fans put their name forward. Hibs say “great, thanks! We’ll be doing work on the seats if you’d like to help?” Fans say either “Yes I will help!” Or “No, sorry”

Unless I missed the email stating my season ticket would be forfeit if I wasn’t outside the East stand by 8am with a set of Allen keys?

@hibs.net private member
    You’ve called this one wrong . Your words were emotive in the extreme. Rather than hold firm , why not Hold your hands up that you completely forgot and misjudged the helpful elements of collaboration and the community aspects of volunteering…

Quote Originally Posted by evy View Post
    'becomes a witch hunt'.......you've been called out for comparing fans volunteering to slave labour and can't deal with the responses.
    Very strong with the Colonial North American history metaphors though.

Who’d have thought we’d discussing the Salem Witch Trials, and Atlantic slave trade on a thread about new seats? .

In all seriousness, let’s all avoid the hyperbole. Let’s just agree to disagree respectively. I think getting involved with the club is a very positive thing.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I've seen some daft arguments on here. I may even have been involved in one or two , but this one takes the biscuit.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    yet by your own admission you donate to HSL, which since the summer of 2019 has offered no tangible return other than the satisfaction of contributing. I don’t see any difference between that and people contributing physically.

on that note, it’s worth remembering that Hibs fans, including HSL, own a third of HFC. It’s our club. Why shouldn’t we help out (voluntarily!!!) if we have the time and inclination.

Left by mutual consent!
    My Laddie and I volunteered the last time under the working together banner. Painting steps, and doing all sorts of things. We had a group of about 8 of us doing the steps in the east and west stand. Stubbsy came out for a chat, and we ended up in the players lounge having bacon rolls and tea provided by the club at lunch time. I thought that I was giving something to my club that they needed at the time.

Slave labour it was not, a labour of love maybe. 💚

When you have nowhere else to turn, play the poor me, it's a witch hunt card 😂

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    My Laddie and I volunteered the last time under the working together banner. Painting steps, and doing all sorts of things. We had a group of about 8 of us doing the steps in the east and west stand. Stubbsy came out for a chat, and we ended up in the players lounge having bacon rolls and tea provided by the club at lunch time. I thought that I was giving something to my club that they needed at the time.

Slave labour it was not, a labour of love maybe. 💚
    I wondered who'd done that, there were runs everywhere.

It's only honest debate if you read and take account of the replies you've been given. Which you obviously are not.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    If you pay peanuts ...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'll tell him. 👷

I blame Rod Petrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    yet by your own admission you donate to HSL, which since the summer of 2019 has offered no tangible return other than the satisfaction of contributing. I don’t see any difference between that and people contributing physically.

on that note, it’s worth remembering that Hibs fans, including HSL, own a third of HFC. It’s our club. Why shouldn’t we help out (voluntarily!!!) if we have the time and inclination.
    A lesson in how to contradict yourself in a matter of seconds. Touché

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    One of the great things about hibs.net is clicking on the last page of thread on a seemingly innocuous subject, without reading any of the other pages, and seeing how wild the conversation has gone. Top marks on this one.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    Very strong with the Colonial North American history metaphors though.

Who’d have thought we’d discussing the Salem Witch Trials, and Atlantic slave trade on a thread about new seats? .

In all seriousness, let’s all avoid the hyperbole. Let’s just agree to disagree respectively. I think getting involved with the club is a very positive thing.
    I was amazed to see this thread at 4 pages tbh, a sideways turn has well and truly been taken.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If slave labour is your thing then crack on. Hibs as a business turn over way more money than I'll ever have and Ron is worth an insane amount too. So if I've got free time to volunteer I'd far rather be using it to help someone who's worse off than I am.
    Then do it? Nobody had a gun to their head, people volunteered?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    FFS, some folk are desperate for a moan about anything, ay?.

1. If it came back in the accounts we’d spent a 4 or 5 figure sum on labourers, some folk would moan after a bad result that they’d have done it for free, and money should be spent on the squad.

2. People volunteered, and got a special taste of their club behind the scenes not on matchday. I’d have were it not for work.

3. There have been threads on here, and on Facebook groups about people wanting to do a bit round the stadium to freshen it up. That’s happening now.

Some folk need to step away from their keyboards/turn off their devices and go shout at a cloud, and get their negativity out in a way that doesn’t annoy others.
    There was a post on Facebook questioning why the seats were grey - so quick (or keen) to find fault they did not look at the picture of the work properly...

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Another thread ruined by the same poster. Habitual.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    A real shame this thread has been trashed.

For the guys volunteering - I'd like to say thanks for putting yourselves forward to help improve the visual appearance of the already brilliant looking stadium.

I only made it along yesterday for a couple of hours at the end of the day but Ben Kensell was out helping alongside other club employees. Tea/coffee, water, juice, pies etc all provided for the hardy souls who were there a lot longer than I was.

A great chance to chat to some of the people behind the scenes at the club while doing our own wee bit to help.

I believe the plan is to get the H finished today in time for Sunday’s game and then do the other letters in the next couple of weeks when we have a bit of a gap in home fixtures.

As well as the seats there was a lot of work going on outside the stadium tidying up the weeds and external areas.

Hats off to Kieran and the volunteers who got the project moving.