hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I ask you a question ? Would you treat your family the way some of our support are currently treating Hibs ? When things go wrong at home do you start shouting and screaming and throwing your toys out of the pram ? When your kid fails exams or gets in trouble do you just abuse them for stupidity or do you roll up your sleeves and try to help ? When your wife loses her job, and some of the interviews for a new one that she has don't go as well as you've hoped, do you ball her out, call her a shambles and threaten to leave ? Or do you tell her you love her and spend a bit less money down the pub and try to make sure she is confident for her next interview ?

There is nothing wrong with fair criticism of the club. Currently we have had a manager who had been in charge during a massive slump leave...we are trying to find the best replacement. An element of our support decides this is the perfect opportunity to shout "Shambles" and "Pathetic" and generally undermine the club at every opportunity. I don't consider that fair criticism of the club.
    How can you compare it to your family. I don't pay over £300 for a friends & family season ticket for them to entertain me or not entertain me by failing exams or losing their job.

That money goes towards buying players who in turn are in the entertainment business & we are not being entertained & have not been entertained for a wee while now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Trouble is almost 14,000 people bought into new Hibs, a club that had finally got it right and are now on a new successful path. Half a season later were sitting in 8th place, have lost our manager a few days before the end of a crucial transfer window for no apparent reason and are allegedly having difficulty replacing him. If we end up losing 1000’s of ST holders it will definitely be a disaster for the club as these folk that bought into the new Hibs won’t be back, sadly.
    They will be back and all our problems will dissolve if we start and keep winning fairly regularly.

and shouting “Shambles” from the sidelines will help alleviate that problem ?
    No but neither will blindly clapping the board if we’re going to end up with crowds like we saw on Saturday again. It would be a disaster for the club if we appoint Johnny Nobody and are back to square one after all our progress.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    How can you compare it to your family. I don't pay over £300 for a friends & family season ticket for them to entertain me or not entertain me by failing exams or losing their job.

That money goes towards buying players who in turn are in the entertainment business & we are not being entertained & have not been entertained for a wee while now.
    I would imagine u pay way more than £300

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    FWIW I have found there to be a higher number of 'cool heads' on here than elsewhere. At the game on Saturday the folk I speak to around me were all very critical of the club, there's a guy in my work who is a home and away every week type who seems on course for a heart attack and Facebook and Twitter is an absolute minefield.
    Spot on.

Every week there seems to be a post on here claiming "hibs.net is ***** now, was better back in my day etc etc etc" but I reckon this is just a rose-tinted view of the past. There has ALWAYS been petty arguments on here from day one but it's balanced out by the fact that like back then, message boards are a niche thing and well regulated so people don't tend to just blurt stuff out without thinking. You get a healthy debate on here and anyone who steps out of line is swiftly warned then banned.

If hibs.net goes under then all we've got is the visceral environments of Facebook/Twitter (which is full of people claiming hibs.net is ***** because "the admins kicked me out for saying nothing, blah blah blah") and matchday, where people (including myself) literally DO just say the first thing that comes to their mind without any thought process involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    They will be back and all our problems will dissolve if we start and keep winning fairly regularly.
    Aye but it’s taken around 60 years to get them back this time. 😊

its two weeks and I didn’t tag everyone as “not real supporters” I aimed it at those who take it too far. I have no idea if you are one of them, as I’m not the sort to stalk people’s posts and have no wish to single anyone out.

We obviously disagree, fair enough, I’m just having my say.

I think what is evident is that the last 3 weeks has split fans and each side have pretty strong opposing views. As many have said it's time to move on but only the board can initiate that by appointing a new manager.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I suppose the question is what constitutes support? If guys are buying STs, turning up week in and week out and spending their hard earned then does having a moan on the internet negate that and make them 'not a supporter?

I've had the discussion several times over the last few weeks that there seems to have been a loss of the middle ground, it's arguably not exclusive to football either. Everything is an extreme; it's either 'pish' and a 'shambles' or it's 'shut up and take what you are given'. I'd argue there are valid criticisms that could be leveled at Hibs over the course of the last 2 weeks, I don't think they have managed the media well (that doesn't mean releasing any formal statement every 2 minutes) but equally I think the 'Dempster out' calls are bonkers as well.

FWIW I have found there to be a higher number of 'cool heads' on here than elsewhere. At the game on Saturday the folk I speak to around me were all very critical of the club, there's a guy in my work who is a home and away every week type who seems on course for a heart attack and Facebook and Twitter is an absolute minefield.

Personally I've never equated being a supporter with clapping on demand like a trained seal. If I think Hibs deserve criticism then I'll criticise, if I think they deserve defending then I'll defend them. In this situation I think they deserve a bit of both.

Brilliant post.

Mon the dot net.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Comparing a football club to your family is mental.
    It's called an analogy

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

i suppose I kind of think of Hibs as part of my family. Maybe it’s just me. Plus I pay more than £300 a month to both my kids to help put them through University ! They don’t always offer good value for that either, but I don’t abuse them, I try to support them and guide them.

You say say you pay Hibs £300 a year to entertain you. Sounds like you are a customer.

Aye but it’s taken around 60 years to get them back this time. 😊
    In that case they'll be dead before long, so let's not worry too much

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    I think what is evident is that the last 3 weeks has split fans and each side have pretty strong opposing views. As many have said it's time to move on but only the board can initiate that by appointing a new manager.
    Fair enough.

I think what you'll find is that half of these fans were more Lennon supporters rather than Hibs ones, the statement saying he had done no wrong was written by both parties to save face for Lennon, you don't get suspended for having a heated dressing room spat. I've seen a large number of managers at Hibs in my 50 years as a supporter, they come and go, some I liked others glad to get shot of them but I've never hated the club because a certain manager was released.

@hibs.net private member
    i suppose I kind of think of Hibs as part of my family. Maybe it’s just me. Plus I pay more than £300 a month to both my kids to help put them through University ! They don’t always offer good value for that either, but I don’t abuse them, I try to support them and guide them.

You say say you pay Hibs £300 a year to entertain you. Sounds like you are a customer.
    Hopefully they are trying their best.
    Could we say that about Hibs.

Of course they are trying their best. I don't think you really believe any different, you are just at it.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    It's called an analogy

Yes but it was a terrible one.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I suppose the question is what constitutes support? If guys are buying STs, turning up week in and week out and spending their hard earned then does having a moan on the internet negate that and make them 'not a supporter?

I've had the discussion several times over the last few weeks that there seems to have been a loss of the middle ground, it's arguably not exclusive to football either. Everything is an extreme; it's either 'pish' and a 'shambles' or it's 'shut up and take what you are given'. I'd argue there are valid criticisms that could be leveled at Hibs over the course of the last 2 weeks, I don't think they have managed the media well (that doesn't mean releasing any formal statement every 2 minutes) but equally I think the 'Dempster out' calls are bonkers as well.

Personally I've never equated being a supporter with clapping on demand like a trained seal. If I think Hibs deserve criticism then I'll criticise, if I think they deserve defending then I'll defend them. In this situation I think they deserve a bit of both.
    Excellent post.

The patronising approach of some on here to anyone who dares to question the Board is almost as bad as the hysteria of those who choose to believe every Hibs-related thing they read in the tabloids.

Do you really think that Leeann Dempster is sitting there playing Angry Birds and picking our manager by pulling names out of a hat ?

Of course they are trying their best.

Right I'm signing off. I appreciate the responses to my OP. It does seem the world is polarised at the moment..if it's not brexit it's independence or Trump. Apologies if my OP has only widened the gap, I honestly would just like to see the support showing LD some loyalty. But understand that others differ in their opinion GGTTH
    Last edited by worcesterhibby; 13-02-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yes but it was a terrible one.
    Perhaps, yes. Most are tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I think what you'll find is that half of these fans were more Lennon supporters rather than Hibs ones, the statement saying he had done no wrong was written by both parties to save face for Lennon, you don't get suspended for having a heated dressing room spat. I've seen a large number of managers at Hibs in my 50 years as a supporter, they come and go, some I liked others glad to get shot of them but I've never hated the club because a certain manager was released.
    This what I mean, people have their opinion and are unwilling to meet in the middle. No one is more of a lennon supporter than what they are a Hibs supporter. That's just lazy and ridiculous to suggest so. Criticism of our board to a certain degree is healthy.

Trouble is almost 14,000 people bought into new Hibs, a club that had finally got it right and are now on a new successful path. Half a season later were sitting in 8th place, have lost our manager a few days before the end of a crucial transfer window for no apparent reason and are allegedly having difficulty replacing him. If we end up losing 1000’s of ST holders it will definitely be a disaster for the club as these folk that bought into the new Hibs won’t be back, sadly.
    It will be disappointing but not a disaster.
    Hibs are having to deal with a situation (regardless of how you think that came about), the next step is to get a good appointment and get things back on track.

Money wise, Killie & Saints do top 6 on much less. We need to get this right. We've had 2 great years, I was a huge critic of the board when we sold every asset we had in the 2000's.

We will still sell our best but how that money is used is where we've let ourselves down, albeit I believe temporarily.

If this spills into next week then I will be concerned also. But going back to the OP I agree that some of the terminology used on here is hysterical rather than measured disquiet.

This what I mean, people have their opinion and are unwilling to meet in the middle. No one is more of a lennon supporter than what they are a Hibs supporter. That's just lazy and ridiculous to suggest so. Criticism of our board to a certain degree is healthy.

Really? The amount of posters who showed more loyalty towards Lennon than Hibs this past fortnight has been an eye opener, I understand you can get attached to a manager but the anti board posts backing Lennon when no one actually knew what happened that friday has been ridiculous. Some people could just not see Lennon overstepped his mark, what happened we'll never know but it was clearly his fault he's not here.

@hibs.net private member
    You can still support the team and be a supporter and have an opinion. FFS, must you agree with everything the club does, even if it's obvious they've made a mess of something.

Another "I'm a better fan that you" thread which comes up a lot here.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    You can still support the team and be a supporter and have an opinion. FFS, must you agree with everything the club does, even if it's obvious they've made a mess of something.

But we don't know if they've made a mess of anything. That's the point.

It's not about agreeing with everything the club does, it's about disagreeing with those who jump to (largely) unfounded conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Really? The amount of posters who showed more loyalty towards Lennon than Hibs this past fortnight has been an eye opener, I understand you can get attached to a manager but the anti board posts backing Lennon when no one actually knew what happened that friday has been ridiculous. Some people could just not see Lennon overstepped his mark, what happened we'll never know but it was clearly his fault he's not here.
    Said it a million times before those who keep saying the board are perfect and we should move on from Lennon are the ones who keep bringing his name up.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    But we don't know if they've made a mess of anything. That's the point.

It's not about agreeing with everything the club does, it's about disagreeing with those who jump to (largely) unfounded conclusions.
    Yet they are happy to cast assertions on others out with the club, it's the gross hypocracy that both sides are fed up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

What if the club haven't made a mess of something, and there is no evidence to suggest they have made a mess of something, yet some opinions are claiming they have made a mess of something, despite no evidence to suggest they have actually made a mess of something.

Can I disagree with these opinions and agree with what the club does?

Just for balance of course.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Of course they are trying their best. I don't think you really believe any different, you are just at it.
    The board, trying their best to engage with the fans, to me the silence is deafening.
    The team, trying their best, still in Dubai mode, or just not good enough.

@hibs.net private member
    QUOTE=Steve20;5708888]You can still support the team and be a supporter and have an opinion. FFS, must you agree with everything the club does, even if it's obvious they've made a mess of something.

Another "I'm a better fan that you" thread which comes up a lot here.[/QUOTE]

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The board, trying their best to engage with the fans, to me the silence is deafening.
    What do you want them to say? "We're still talking to candidates"? We now that.

The team, trying their best, still in Dubai mode, or just not good enough.
    Decimated by injury, square pegs in round holes and not the best circumstances to integrate the new arrivals.