hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just not even up for debate.

I'll settle for re-posting two previous reflections on that glorious day.

Grown men cried for weeks, Gray, 92 became a magic number, Logan, 100 years of pain were washed away, Hanlon, a club was reborn, Fontaine, ordinary men became heroes, Fyvie, there really was Sunshine on Leith, McGeouch, Hibee families had the best parties of their lives, Stevenson, Angels Up Above were remembered and toasted, McGinn, 150,000 Hibernian supporters turned Leith Walk and Leith Links into a human river of green and white, McGregor, football fans all over the globe were in awe of 25,000 fans singing the best club anthem in the world, Stokes, people hugged and cuddled strangers in celebration, Cummings, political leaders of the UK and Scotland congratulated Hibernian, Gunnarrson, Kenny Miller had the class to step into the Hibernian changing room to congratulate the Hibernian players, Henderson, when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup we were there, Keatings, we stood for the entire game without noticing it, Stubbs, people prayed, Edinburgh saw one of the longest and most peaceful set of street parties it has ever had, 1,000,000 didn't become a magic number, #weargreen worked, it was a Time for Heroes, their defence was terrified because Stokesy was on fire, Hibee love was in the air, there was a harp back on the stand and Trainspotting 2 was being made, we Hibsed it 3-2, the emotion was indescribable, tattooists ran out of green ink, wee boys and girls went proudly into school as winners, we were on our way from misery to happiness that day, we had McGinn - super John McGinn I just don't think they understood, it was the 21st day in May of 2016, we had a younger team and while we didn't want to brag - we just wanted to say that the Scottish Cup was in the bag, Pat Stanton watched Hibernian win the Scottish Cup, nothing else mattered, we lived redemption and joy, as the Cup was lifted it was "At last, at last, at last", like Japanese soldiers in the jungle there were Hibees out celebrating long long after it was all over, everyone one of us always remembered exactly where we were when Hibernian won the Cup, we did finally win it and when we did we earned it the hard way - clean and fair, it was the greatest game in history and up in heaven they were giein the ba' tae Reilly.

It really was Glory Glory to the Hibees.

I don't think a film script could match the story. Over 100 years of waiting, relegated, the butt of jokes for every other club in the country, failing to get promotion while our city rivals won the league, getting to the final the hard way and beating Hearts on the way and the media expectation that we were turning up for the coronation of The Rangers on their return to the top league. Then a game where we take the lead, lose it and fall behind to set the stage for our inevitable collapse. Only to draw level and then the Hibernian Captain - the Captain for God's sake - scores two minutes into added time, at our end of the ground, to finally win the cup.

The Silence of the Yams is testament to the strength and depth of its impact. It will never be surpassed.

Top post. No further comment necessary.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    More people turned up to see hibs parade the cup through Edinburgh than attended Donald Trumps Presidential inauguration....

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    But minus the last 5 minutes wasn't a brilliant game

I have a client who is a Man U season ticket holder / he enjoyed our game on the 21st May over his team Winning the fa cup over palace on the same afternoon. He has no connection to hibs other than football chat.

He said "both Rangers and hibs went out to win, palace and Utd went out not to lose."

We might not be the biggest or best club in the world but heck that final had something special even for the neautial
    It was a brilliant game. takes 2 to tango, and they thought they had it. we came on so strong, and made it a fantastic game. have even seen The Rangers fans saying likewise

More people turned up to see hibs parade the cup through Edinburgh than attended Donald Trumps Presidential inauguration....
    more interesting , more emotional and more honest endeavor makes the differance

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Football should actually be scrapped now as 21.05.16 will never be surpassed.
    Couldn't agree more. We essentially completed football. No reason for it to continue.

Best game ever and will never be topped, still can't believe it. Years of heartache and disappointment made it all the sweeter.

Grown men cried for weeks, Gray, 92 became a magic number, Logan, 100 years of pain were washed away, Hanlon, a club was reborn, Fontaine, ordinary men became heroes, Fyvie, there really was Sunshine on Leith, McGeouch, Hibee families had the best parties of their lives, Stevenson, Angels Up Above were remembered and toasted, McGinn, 150,000 Hibernian supporters turned Leith Walk and Leith Links into a human river of green and white, McGregor, football fans all over the globe were in awe of 25,000 fans singing the best club anthem in the world, Stokes, people hugged and cuddled strangers in celebration, Cummings, political leaders of the UK and Scotland congratulated Hibernian, Gunnarrson, Kenny Miller had the class to step into the Hibernian changing room to congratulate the Hibernian players, Henderson, when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup we were there, Keatings, we stood for the entire game without noticing it, Stubbs, people prayed, Edinburgh saw one of the longest and most peaceful set of street parties it has ever had, 1,000,000 didn't become a magic number, #weargreen worked, it was a Time for Heroes, their defence was terrified because Stokesy was on fire, Hibee love was in the air, there was a harp back on the stand and Trainspotting 2 was being made, we Hibsed it 3-2, the emotion was indescribable, tattooists ran out of green ink, wee boys and girls went proudly into school as winners, we were on our way from misery to happiness that day, we had McGinn - super John McGinn I just don't think they understood, it was the 21st day in May of 2016, we had a younger team and while we didn't want to brag - we just wanted to say that the Scottish Cup was in the bag, Pat Stanton watched Hibernian win the Scottish Cup, nothing else mattered, we lived redemption and joy, as the Cup was lifted it was "At last, at last, at last", like Japanese soldiers in the jungle there were Hibees out celebrating long long after it was all over, everyone one of us always remembered exactly where we were when Hibernian won the Cup, we did finally win it and when we did we earned it the hard way - clean and fair, it was the greatest game in history and up in heaven they were giein the ba' tae Reilly.

I don't think a film script could match the story. Over 100 years of waiting, relegated, the butt of jokes for every other club in the country, failing to get promotion while our city rivals won the league, getting to the final the hard way and beating Hearts on the way and the media expectation that we were turning up for the coronation of The Rangers on their return to the top league. Then a game where we take the lead, lose it and fall behind to set the stage for our inevitable collapse. Only to draw level and then the Hibernian Captain - the Captain for God's sake - scores two minutes into added time, at our end of the ground, to finally win the cup.

The Silence of the Yams is testament to the strength and depth of its impact. It will never be surpassed.
    What a post. "Silence of the Yams" is an absolute belter. I feel like this should be in a song somehow and we should sing it to them, all the time. For a very long time.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It might be controversial but I'm going to say that 22nd of May was even sweeter than 21st May. Waking up with a sore throat and a sore head, the feeling of it beginning to sink in, watching all the highlights on iPlayer and Hibs TV, all the videos on YouTube, the bus parade. I was exhausted by the end of 21st May, the 22nd of May was so utterly joyous.

I'd give anything to relive that weekend again.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    I'll have to go for Dundee United vs Rangers

Surprise victory but also beating a Rangers team at the heights of its powers.

Motherwell vs DU is also up there.
    Why would any hibs fan say this? Hibs victory in the cup last year is the best story in Scottish football in my lifetime. Your dour attitude is becoming tiring.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    It might be controversial but I'm going to say that 22nd of May was even sweeter than 21st May. Waking up with a sore throat and a sore head, the feeling of it beginning to sink in, watching all the highlights on iPlayer and Hibs TV, all the videos on YouTube, the bus parade. I was exhausted by the end of 21st May, the 22nd of May was so utterly joyous.

I totally agree. The Sunday was an utterly joyous day that will never ever be topped.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar

The best weekend of my life. It will never be repeated. I still get a buzz when I think of it, and always will..
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

The 22nd was great, I woke up at 7am with the best hangover ever. I cracked open a beer and watched a replay of the match in I player then continued to drink throughout the day. Getting to see the open top bus with my whole family is something I'll always hold on to.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    The best weekend of my life. It will never be repeated. I still get a buzz when I think of it, and always will..
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Breakthrough

This has to be without doubt the best read ive had on here for a long time.... well done sir...

First Team Breakthrough
    yes ... and to think some people on this website were willing to give up a cup win for promotion through the playoffs......
    Watch the game , take a look at the pics/photos on your wall (I've a couple of beauties0 and feel that good inside.. It ain't going away.
    there is always this year for promotion ..
    enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by SRH View Post
    Aye.

In all seriousness though, even when removing the green-tinted specs I can't think of a 'better' cup win than ours.

The whole narrative: the fact that we hadn't won it in 114 years; we are (whether we like it or not) a championship club who had beaten a host of SPL teams on the run-up to the final; heads were down after we had lost the LC final and eliminated as promotion prospects, and while there was still cautious optimism for the SC, another failure would not have come as a shock, and would have epitomised the entire season; going in as underdogs vs a relatively strong Hun side etc. For us to win it last season was actually pretty absurd.

There will not be another victory in Scottish football that comes close to rivalling the 21st of May. The sheer emotion at the final whistle will never be matched. How could it be? Even if we were to win the SPL it wouldn't come close to matching the 21st of May.

I challenge someone to be objective and come up with a cup win in Scottish football that is even close to as meaningful as ours.
    Yes. You've nailed it.

All very significant wins with tales behind them (uniteds previous bad luck and Maxwells broken ribs). I'd even chuck Hearts in 1998 into that category.

Ours can't be topped though.

Quote Originally Posted by TObeachesHibby View Post
    yes ... and to think some people on this website were willing to give up a cup win for promotion through the playoffs......
    Watch the game , take a look at the pics/photos on your wall (I've a couple of beauties0 and feel that good inside.. It ain't going away.
    there is always this year for promotion ..
    enjoy
    Before The Final I was one who would have preferred promotion. Having experienced the best weekend of my life how wrong could I be. The only down side (and it's not much of a down side) is I doubt I will ever experience a better weekend again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    In terms of drama I can only think of Aguero Vs QPR in the final day and Liverpool beating AC Milan as being so dramatic.
    Michael Thomas at Anfield was much more dramatic than Aguero for City.

That was only dramatic because City made an arse of it vs 10 men, Arsenal had to win 2-0 vs Liverpool to take the title from them.

Certainly from a Hibs perspective nothing will ever come close to our win but I'm sure many other fans will think similar our dramatic moments in their clubs history.

Beating a top four Championship team away, followed by coming back from the dead at a top three Premiership team away from home at win the replay was a good start. Then beating the holders away in a replay and eliminating another Premiership side on penalties before beating the Rangers with two late goals ending a 114 year old drought.

OK Hibs avoided Celtic and Aberdeen (but had already beaten the latter in the League Cup). Could it have got much better?

If that had been written as a story or the script for a film, people would have said it was too implausible.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    But minus the last 5 minutes wasn't a brilliant game

I have a client who is a Man U season ticket holder / he enjoyed our game on the 21st May over his team Winning the fa cup over palace on the same afternoon. He has no connection to hibs other than football chat.

He said "both Rangers and hibs went out to win, palace and Utd went out not to lose."

We might not be the biggest or best club in the world but heck that final had something special even for the neautial
    Not the biggest, correct. We are however, to everyone that follows Hibernian, without a doubt the best club in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Beating a top four Championship team away, followed by coming back from the dead at a top three Premiership team away from home at win the replay was a good start. Then beating the holders away in a replay and eliminating another Premiership side on penalties before beating the Rangers with two late goals ending a 114 year old drought.

OK Hibs avoided Celtic and Aberdeen (but had already beaten the latter in the League Cup). Could it have got much better?

If that had been written as a story or the script for a film, people would have said it was too implausible.
    I think that's one of the really good things ... nobody can turn round and say we had an easy road to winning it. Our first game was away from home to a team in the same league as us who had only lost one of their previous 6 games. Our second was away to premier league Hertz, nuff said. Our third was home to another premier team, not to mention the cup holders and we won the replay after a huge disappointment only days before. The semi was against another premier league team and the final was against the team that had strolled our league.

Was it the best win ever? If you are a Hibby then without doubt and it was probably one of the best post war finals for drama if you are a neutral .... though Motherwell v Dundee Utd was probably a match for it, definitely the best Scottish Cup final I had ever seen up to that point.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Why would any hibs fan say this? Hibs victory in the cup last year is the best story in Scottish football in my lifetime. Your dour attitude is becoming tiring.
    Wit?

The discussion is was it the best win ever.

To me, yes.

But bias aside, I don't think it was. DU takes it for me.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Without checking, I'm happy to confirm that our win is indeed, The Best Win Ever.

The Scottish Cup simply isn't the same anymore.

The oldest cup competition in the world, witness to one of the longest and most notable hoodoos in sport, ended by the most dramatic run in history (with help from a fat keeper and an enigmatic bad boy up front).

Nothing will ever top 21.05.16!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I think it'll be even more spectacular when we retain the trophy in May.

It's just what Hibs'll will do, wait over a century for one then win two on the bounce. No idea why but I've a strange feeling that we'll win it again this season and I've thought about it for months.

''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by Callyballybe View Post
    Couldn't agree more. We essentially completed football. No reason for it to continue.
    Ha love it

no competition really

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I think it'll be even more spectacular when we retain the trophy in May.

It's just what Hibs'll will do, wait over a century for one then win two on the bounce. No idea why but I've a strange feeling that we'll win it again this season and I've thought about it for months.

Funny that, I've been thinking exactly the same thing...

Wit?

The discussion is was it the best win ever.

To me, yes.

But bias aside, I don't think it was. DU takes it for me.
    In what way? Hibs win had everything. It wouldn't surprise me to see a film made about it as it's such a great story.

United we stand here....