hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No disrespect to the likes of Gogic, Newell, Hallberg, Doig,Irvine or Magennis but they won't produce goals from midfield.
    Magennis hasn't had the chance tbf, the others I agree with - though Gogic scored one of our goals of the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We had no players on the bench who could have changed the game, not getting another striker in Jan was criminal. We really should have went 352 and matched saints. Players need to have a good look at themselves, they missed a massive opportunity

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    To be fair, at least Mallan would have had a shot or two.

Thing that pissed me off about Saturday was we were one nil down and absolutely no one was willing to have a dig and see what happened.

Murphy, who I've already said thought played well enough when he came on, was guilty of this a few times. Cut in and ran across the box but didn't have the faith in his ability to have a shot. If it was Mallan he's smashing it. Usually on target as well.

To be fair, the lads I watched the game with would have put up a better fight than that disgraceful spectacle we were dished up.

Only Allan at his best would have made a difference. But no point dreaming about what ifs. We had more than enough on that pitch to win the Cup and Ross had enough options to affect the game. Sadly, we had no one close to the calibre of Stokes or Henderson or McGinn to drag the others along.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hope I’m wrong,because I’ve rated both Mallan and Allan,highly in the past,but I have the feeling that their time has come and gone at ER.

Who are we going to replace them with ? Haven’t got a clue,as I can’t see any other players in the current squad similar to them.

Looks like we need to look elsewhere and the question is where?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    Unfortunately I can see Mallan moving on and becoming a decent player which I believe for another club
    I don’t know if I’ve invented this, but I think I remember hearing that Mallan went on a one year loan to the Turkish team with an option to buy, but either way, he would not be returning to Hibs.

Forget these two.

Who else in Scotland - outside the old firm - has the creativity/passing and some robustness around them that we could pick up this summer, lets hear some names..

Allan has obvious quality and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Mallan seems to get a lot more criticism but for me there’s very few in Scottish football that have his technique and ability on the ball, in terms of passing, shooting etc.

If he was to sign for another team like Aberdeen, Hearts, St Johnstone etc I think he’d used properly and have runners and tacklers behind him. He would score double figures if played in an advanced position Imo

I dont think either player will have much input at Hibs next season. Mallan wants to play every week - he wont get that at Hibs. Not at the level we want to be at. Allan i just dont think will get back to the levels he once had for us.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Allan has obvious quality and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Mallan seems to get a lot more criticism but for me there’s very few in Scottish football that have his technique and ability on the ball, in terms of passing, shooting etc.

If he was to sign for another team like Aberdeen, Hearts, St Johnstone etc I think he’d used properly and have runners and tacklers behind him. He would score double figures if played in an advanced position Imo

Why has he never done well for Hibs in an advanced position, though?

I keeper hearing this, but its just a theory. Hes never performed consistently in reality. His passing is also very poor at times.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

I keeper hearing this, but its just a theory. Hes never performed consistently in reality. His passing is also very poor at times.
    You should watch this video and then reavalute your statement that he has "never done well for Hibs in an advanced position":

https://twitter.com/Barlosthecat/sta...314745347?s=19

His passing is very poor at times - so what? Like Jackson Irvine, and Scott Allan and frankly most footballers. All three's passing is also very good at times.

Joe Newell is someone who rarely gives the ball away, but actually he also rarely plays a telling pass when you need some magic. That's fine when you are in the lead but no good when your chasing a game.

If its consistency you are looking for then the current central midfielders are very consistent in being unable to contribute to our goals tally.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 24-05-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    You should watch this video and then reavalute your statement that he has "never done well for Hibs in an advanced position":

https://twitter.com/Barlosthecat/sta...314745347?s=19

His passing is very poor at times - so what? Like Jackson Irvine, and Scott Allan and frankly most footballers. All three's passing is also very good at times.

Joe Newell is someone who rarely gives the ball away, but actually he also rarely plays a telling pass when you need some magic. That's fine when you are in in the lead but no good when your chasing a game.

If its consistency you are looking for then the current central midfielders are very consistent in being unable to contribute to our goals tally.
    He looks great in a video, he always will.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I dont think either player will have much input at Hibs next season. Mallan wants to play every week - he wont get that at Hibs. Not at the level we want to be at. Allan i just dont think will get back to the levels he once had for us.
    If his interview is to be believed Scott Allan should be the fittest/healthiest he’s ever been, so there’s no reason why he can’t get back to his previous levels. It would be different IMO if he’d had a serious injury. I just don’t see JR finding a role for him moving forward.

I’d argue he has.

He’s also rarely played in an advanced midfield role with 2 behind him.

His passing ratio might not be the best as he tries harder passes, but I’d bet he’d be one of the best passers at the club.

That's because the video shows actual footage of very positive events that took place on a football pitch, rather than an invented narrative in your head of him never performing well or being pish and rubbish all the time.

That's because the video shows actual footage of very positive events that took place on a football pitch, rather than an invented narrative in your head of him never performing well or being pish and rubbish all the time.
    Aye, scored some crackers over an 8 week period, no one denied that. That free kick against Kilmarnock is still the last one he scored

Agree with this, Mallan is the best football player at the club, the likes of Newell,Irvine, Magennis etc dont possess the quality he can produce with the ball. The argument was that we couldnt play Mallan and Allan in the same team, now we lack quality because both are out the picture. We desperately need somebody with his ability on set-pieces, if the game had been played till midnight on Saturday we would not have scored because we were devoid of ideas how to unlock a solid defence.

Aye, scored some crackers over an 8 week period, no one denied that. That free kick against Kilmarnock is still the last one he scored
    Using that as a stick to beat him with doesn't work given that he was in fact the last midfielder to score a freekick for us.

First Team Breakthrough churchie16's Avatar

Well done clearly someone watches the game when they are there, just read mallans passing is poor haha honestly beggars believe probably one of the best at switching play and his range of passing is different class along with Allan some people just want not to like players and mallan is certainly one give me 3-4 of them over Irvine and gogic who contribute absolutely nothing and run about more more than mallan and people think there better football players

Using that as a stick to beat him with doesn't work given that he was in fact the last midfielder to score a freekick for us.
    Nisbet has more goals from free kicks this season than Mallan in the last 2.

Nisbet is a striker who unfortunately missed a crucial penalty against Hearts, Mallan converted a last minute penalty against St Johnstone away. There have been players taking up places on the bench who never look like making it on to the pitch for various reasons never mind changing the game. The whole point of opening this thread was to make the point that there are very few goals in the current midfield regardless of your views on Mallan, he has played more games for Hibs than them all, does have the ability to create chances, takes set pieces and occasionally come up with goals, at the very least he should have been given the opportunity to make a difference even if he wasn’t starting the game, there’s been many better players but there’s been a whole lot worse, yes he has weaknesses that’s why he is at Hibs. Anyhow I respect the fact the you and others have given your views but like those who rate him I can’t help think that he will be a good signing for one of our competitors, time will tell.

Mallan has scored more free kicks for Hibs in a fortnight than Nisbet did in an entire season. Mallan also scored our most impressive individual goal last season.

Your arguments are failing to hit the target more than our current central midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    Agree with this, Mallan is the best football player at the club, the likes of Newell,Irvine, Magennis etc dont possess the quality he can produce with the ball. The argument was that we couldnt play Mallan and Allan in the same team, now we lack quality because both are out the picture. We desperately need somebody with his ability on set-pieces, if the game had been played till midnight on Saturday we would not have scored because we were devoid of ideas how to unlock a solid defence.
    It is amazing how absence enhances his reputation, next we will be calling for him to be in the Scotland squad this summer. He got punted off to the Turkish leagues for a reason.

Decent player, good dead balls and can hit a long shot, but nowhere near as dynamic a midfielder as we need, already we have a midfield of statues with no movement and energy and Mallan makes that worse.

We should be building a formation / system / option that gets the best our of Scott Allan.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’d move both on and put their wages towards the same kind of player. Mallan has his positives but we won’t, and shouldn’t, build the midfield around him to compliment those attributes. With Allan, even before his fitness issues I thought he looked a good player on his day but simply no longer the same player as in his second spell.

Mallan has scored more free kicks for Hibs in a fortnight than Nisbet did in an entire season. Mallan also scored our most impressive individual goal last season.

Your arguments are failing to hit the target more than our current central midfielders.
    They're really not. He was in great goalscoring form when he first joined, and still scores an above average amount. His general play is just very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’d move both on and put their wages towards the same kind of player. Mallan has his positives but we won’t, and shouldn’t, build the midfield around him to compliment those attributes. With Allan, even before his fitness issues I thought he looked a good player on his day but simply no longer the same player as in his second spell.
    Allan was really good last season. Double figures for goals and assists in a season that finished early. That player would make a difference.

Correct. Videos don't show him getting shrugged off the ball on countless occasions like he's not even there, being positionally all over the place or misplacing simple 5 yard passes.

Unfortunately Ross's industrial style football doesn't allow creative midfielders like Allan and Mallan.

Mallan never got punted off to Turkey, he like Gullan wanted more game time and the opportunity came up. BTW 14 games and 2 goals isn't a bad return for a 4 month loan for Mallan..
    Last edited by J-C; 25-05-2021 at 07:42 AM.