hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Commonwealth Games

Terrific performances by Duncan Scott in the swimming this evening. Doesn't seem to get the wider credit he deserves as one of Scotland's finest sportsmen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Aye some great Scottish performances in the pool with Scott topping them. It's a shame the IM was so soon after his gold, he did well to get a bronze.

BBC swimming coverage is excellent, really good to hear Ellie Simmonds giving the lowdown on all the para events especially as I've never paid as much attention to them in the past as I should have.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Im not very pro Commonwealth games so apologise to those that are into it my issue is the BBC and generally i think many Hibs fans have a persecation complex when it comes to the media but the BBC coverage is a bit sickly for my taste. For example on the opening day it was BBC news at 10 main story. Itv didnt even list it in their top 10. Bit politcal so apolgies from me but i find the commonwealth games politically not comfortable. Just my opinion.

I see Peaty got beat in the 100 metres breaststroke in the swimming, first time since 2014 apparently. Didn't even get a medal.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Peaty got beat in the 100 metres breaststroke in the swimming, first time since 2014 apparently. Didn't even get a medal.
    He was coming back from injury and a bit undercooked. He could have easily pulled out but chose to give it ago. Fair play in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    He was coming back from injury and a bit undercooked. He could have easily pulled out but chose to give it ago. Fair play in my book.
    There was a girl racing about 2 hours before him who'd had her leg amputated about 6 months ago and still won the Gold, what's his excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Yeh, don't think he was fully recovered from the broken foot which kept him out the World Championships so as you say fair play for giving it a go. Very gracious in defeat too.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Brilliant day for Scotland, what a run by Eilish McColgan, you don't see Scots beating Kenyans in a sprint finish very often! And another gold for Duncan Scott.

Oh my. That 10,000m final was something else. Outstanding stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Brilliant day for Scotland, what a run by Eilish McColgan, you don't see Scots beating Kenyans in a sprint finish very often! And another gold for Duncan Scott.
    A 63 second last lap from McColgan. The guts and self belief on show during the final 200 metres was truly inspirational.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Good day for Norn Irn too. Danny Boy getting an airing more than once and gold in the pool for the first time

I'm very excited to see her evolve into a marathon runner.

A couple of coaches I follow on social media think she is a bit 'bouncy' for the marathon but I'm not convinced. Her half times mark her out as potentially elite. Paula Radcliffe's British record may be out of her reach but very low 2.20s look possible which would both qualify her for the Olympics and beat her mum. Not long to wait to find out how she takes to it as she is running London this year.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Terrific stuff. Surprised there's been relatively little interest in the Games on here. I know the opposition is limited compared to an Olympics but there have been some top notch displays from the Scots involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Well done to him bouncing back to win a gold yesterday and complete his set of Commonwealth winners' medals.

@hibs.net private member
    Was surprised Australia's swimmers didn't appear at the world championships instead choosing the commonwealths

The old bowling wifies are my personal favourites.

You’re only as old as you feel said the 72 year old Gold medalist.

😀

@hibs.net private member
    Impressed by how good a reaction the Scottish athletes get when there name is read out, even from those waving St George's. Mccolgan got probably the loudest cheers of the tournament so far

First Team Breakthrough
    Cracking performance in the men's singles bowls from Scotland's Iain Maclean 21-4 victory to qualify for the semi finals

Not commonwealth games related but a funny story from the u20 championships where an Italian decathlete ended up last in the 400m due to his decision to run without any underwear and having his tadger fall out from his shorts during the race. He was constantly having to adjust and after a promising start, his multi tasking was too much and he ended up last.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Laura muir gets bronze in the 800m in a photo finish for 3rd

Kiplimo of Uganda gets a 5K and 10K gold double

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Laura muir gets bronze in the 800m in a photo finish for 3rd
    Fantastic effort from Laura Muir.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Fantastic effort from Laura Muir.

runs tonight again, tipped for gold

a couple of golds already today(Boxing x2) and a few medals guaranteed later

already most successful outside glasgow

Gold= 11
    Silver= 10
    Bronze= 25

another Gold in the boxing, Sean Lazzerini beating taylor bevan of wales in the light heavyweight final, just saw clips of him putting his finger to his lips and directing it at some in the audience after the result
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 07-08-2022 at 05:21 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Fabulous race from Laura Muir , she was a class apart , and an excellent silver for Eilish McColgan , 12 golds so far for Scotland. 48 medals altogether is a great achievement

The European Championships coming up next - hopefully more medals coming

49 medals and looks like one chance for a medal tomorrow in the Diving for a nice round 50

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    The State of Victoria has pulled out of hosting in 2026. Scotland looking at taking on the event as part of a multi-location games, probably reusing venues from 2014.

Possibly the end is coming now for this event. I can't imagine many people beyond competitors and their families/friends travel to the games, tickets are likely mostly bought by locals, which means limited economic benefit in return for a significant outlay to host.

It's a shame for Scotland because for many competitors it's their only opportunity to compete for Scotland in an international event. But it doesn't seem like the level of interest is there anymore to keep it going long term. Maybe Sunak will try to get it to somewhere in England to try to appeal to empire loving Tories down there by "saving" the games.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    The State of Victoria has pulled out of hosting in 2026. Scotland looking at taking on the event as part of a multi-location games, probably reusing venues from 2014.

Possibly the end is coming now for this event. I can't imagine many people beyond competitors and their families/friends travel to the games, tickets are likely mostly bought by locals, which means limited economic benefit in return for a significant outlay to host.

It's a shame for Scotland because for many competitors it's their only opportunity to compete for Scotland in an international event. But it doesn't seem like the level of interest is there anymore to keep it going long term. Maybe Sunak will try to get it to somewhere in England to try to appeal to empire loving Tories down there by "saving" the games.
    https://www.birmingham2022.com/news/2775571/birmingham-2022-gives-nation-a-cause-for-celebration#:~:text=A%20record%201.5%20million%20s pectators,the%20same%20period%20in%202021.

The stats from last year's Games in Birmingham indicate they retain considerable appeal.