hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Football players and Tattoos

what is it with football players and body art? Or are they just representative of youngsters today. It seems like a large portion have tattoos or sleeves these days. Is it because they can, or just a fashion statement or linked to personal beliefs? I just notice them on so many players these days and was wondering why this is now so widespread. Is it a nod and a wink to the working class or something else? I Would be interested in some points of view on this. Perhaps it is just a modern day thing, like cell phones. We all are just so accustomed to these now!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Because they like them. That's the only reason they need.

Also tattoo sleeves are expensive. Theres plenty people out there that want a sleeve but cannot justify paying the money or afford to pay for one. Footballers are more likely to have more disposable income to pay for one.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what is it with football players and body art? Or are they just representative of youngsters today. It seems like a large portion have tattoos or sleeves these days. Is it because they can, or just a fashion statement or linked to personal beliefs? I just notice them on so many players these days and was wondering why this is now so widespread. Is it a nod and a wink to the working class or something else? I Would be interested in some points of view on this. Perhaps it is just a modern day thing, like cell phones. We all are just so accustomed to these now!
    Most people I know my age have quite a few tattoo's and I'm almost 40 so yip a youngster thing!!! I have 10 myself

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not into tattoos myself but went to a 21st a few years back pre 2016 and this young guy had the latest HIBS badge on his right arm it truly was a thing of great beauty practically perfect in every way without looking tacky

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Most people I know my age have quite a few tattoo's and I'm almost 40 so yip a youngster thing!!! I have 10 myself
    I guess the term youngster is relative.I am thinking of footballers playing in the 70's or earlier. As an aside I really miss long sleeve football tops. I wonder if we will ever see another strip with long sleeves?

@hibs.net private member
    Body art is no new thing, but it certainly is a lot more accepted these days making it less of a life decision to adorn ones body with said art.

Some tattoos would have made your life difficult in the past that are a lot more accepted these days, such as hand tattoos... these are extremely common place these days and only a handful of professions would look down upon someone having one.

The differential between the average Joe and footballers is the financial side of things.... as the above poster said more disposable income.

I have a collection of tattoos myself and in the past 6 months have added 10 new pieces... being able to do so was largely down to not having to pay for holidays, not using my car daily to commute from Edinburgh to Glasgow among other savings... I have been fortunate enough to have what is deemed disposable income that I chose to use on adding more to my body.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Because they like them. That's the only reason they need.

Also tattoo sleeves are expensive. Theres plenty people out there that want a sleeve but cannot justify paying the money or afford to pay for one. Footballers are more likely to have more disposable income to pay for one.
    Plenty money and plenty spare time . The detail and art work some artists do is amazing. Compared to 20 years ago .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

I'm 62 and have 6 tats, I'd love to finish of my Moari tat on my shoulder and do the full sleeve but can't justify the money for it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I'm 62 and have 6 tats, I'd love to finish of my Moari tat on my shoulder and do the full sleeve but can't justify the money for it right now.
    What's the cost of a full sleeve?

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Depends on each artist but the guy I use , charges £60 an hour . So I’d guess , a full sleeve by him , would cost between 3 and 4 k .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MGDMQT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X2A-FbEEHEMKV

Fake ones on a budget 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Body art is no new thing, but it certainly is a lot more accepted these days making it less of a life decision to adorn ones body with said art.

Some tattoos would have made your life difficult in the past that are a lot more accepted these days, such as hand tattoos... these are extremely common place these days and only a handful of professions would look down upon someone having one.

The differential between the average Joe and footballers is the financial side of things.... as the above poster said more disposable income.

I have a collection of tattoos myself and in the past 6 months have added 10 new pieces... being able to do so was largely down to not having to pay for holidays, not using my car daily to commute from Edinburgh to Glasgow among other savings... I have been fortunate enough to have what is deemed disposable income that I chose to use on adding more to my body.
    But why? I just don't get it. Some say it is fashion. Some say it is art. But when fashions change and/or I grow out of my fashion choices (whether physically or in terms of what is "in"), or when I no longer like a piece of art, I can easily change it for something else, nor do I have to wear it or carry it with me everywhere i go including the pool or the beach.

First Team Breakthrough Kenny1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    But why? I just don't get it. Some say it is fashion. Some say it is art. But when fashions change and/or I grow out of my fashion choices (whether physically or in terms of what is "in"), or when I no longer like a piece of art, I can easily change it for something else, nor do I have to wear it or carry it with me everywhere i go including the pool or the beach.
    Because he wants to

My best pal was talking about getting a tattoo. I said to her, why don't you get a clock on yer arse, then when it starts to sag you can tell folk it's a tribute to Salvador Dali

I like tats, but seeing as how I have the pain threshold of a 5 year old kid it's no happnin'

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The woman that does mine (who is brilliant) is £80 an hour. Got my left arm done and must’ve spent about 2 - 2 and a half grand. Had my right arm started too but toiling to get further appointments with covid etc
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    I got 6 tatts on my arms in 1967 when i was 16,I was in the merchant navy and thought it was manly,i have regretted it every day since more so in the early days as they were regarded by some as a bit of a rogue element,people used to say "what possessed you to get these things",hindsight is a great thing right enough.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    As I always respond, “don’t worry, my tattoos don’t like you either”

Quote Originally Posted by H18S NX View Post
    I got 6 tatts on my arms in 1967 when i was 16,I was in the merchant navy and thought it was manly,i have regretted it every day since more so in the early days as they were regarded by some as a bit of a rogue element,people used to say "what possessed you to get these things",hindsight is a great thing right enough.
    It's ok if you were at sea. Almost mandatory in fact.

Blog Entries
    I’m not a tattoo person, but ‘chaque a son gout’ and all that. This thread reminded me of a time just before my 70th birthday. My son was joking on our family WhatsApp about getting me a special tattoo. I had just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and apparently he had read about somebody having invented tattoo ink which changed colour according to your blood glucose level. I jumped in and told him not to bother as I had run out of body space for another tattoo with this photo.

E9F6281D-7DCB-4641-9DEA-3BD7BFD8BECC.jpg

I'm 40 and gave 9 tattoos. Would love to get loads more but can't justify the money. If I could afford it most my body would be tattooed.

There was a Hibs steward that had a "Skins" tattoo on the back of his neck and "Love and Hate" on his knuckles and looked like a real hard man back in the day.

Unfortunately he is now in his late 60's and on a bus journey to Easter Road was mobbed and laughed at mercilessly by a bunch of kids on the back of a number 1 bus.

He isn't a hard man now and just sat their and took it. You cringed for him as you do for many people with tattoos that can look ridiculous on a man of a certain age.

Tattoos can be very attractive, meaningful and reflective of someone personality but people do age and it might be better if they were in a place less prominent.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 09-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H18S NX View Post
    Footballers are young and young people have always sought to get noticed by setting themselves apart from their parents and the older generation.
    Loads of older people are now getting tats so the young will move on to something else soon to set themselves apart again.
    Until recent times the only folk that had tats were sailors and the only folk who had beards were old men and folkies
    Fashions will change again and the beards will go but the tats are forever.

I find tats a really ugly thing on women but folk are entitled to do what floats their boat.
    However, I would advise young folk not to get them on their face, neck or hands for obvious reasons as well as the permanence issue.
    When you are a mature older adult you don't like the same things you did when you were 20 so you don't want stuck for life with something chosen by your young self. I wouldn't advice getting married young for the same reason .
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 09-01-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Used to know a guy with a swastika tattoo right in middle of his forehead. He owned a vending machine company and would go around bars asking if you wanted them in your bar, things like Pringles and stuff. He stocked them and would collect the money every few weeks from the machines and you got half so loads of bars had them. Must have been on a fortune when I think about it as had bars from Benidorm all the way down to Benalmadena. Often wanted to ask him what he was doing with that kite on his head but never had the balls to.
    Point is, despite having that on his forehead 100s of bars were dealing with him.

Exact cost I don't know, my daughter has a full sleeve and it cost a few hundred, it also depends what you want and who does it, if I have a few spare hundreds knocking around it's going towards a holiday when all this **** is over.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Until recent times the only folk that had tats were sailors and the only folk who had beards were older men.
    Changed days. Fashions will change and the beards will go but the tats are forever.
    I find them a really ugly thing on women but folk are entitled to do what floats their boat.
    However, I would advise young folk not to get them on their face, neck or hands for obvious reasons.
    Women with beards have never done it for me either.

Exact cost I don't know, my daughter has a full sleeve and it cost a few hundred, it also depends what you want and who does it, if I have a few spare hundreds knocking around it's going towards a holiday when all this **** is over.
    Costs a lot more than a few hundred pound for a full sleeve. Wouldn't even get a half sleeve for that in most shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Women with beards have never done it for me either.
    I knew someone would come back with that

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Have 6 myself bud and looking at some point in the future to getting the rest of my left arm covered up.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Not into tattoos myself but went to a 21st a few years back pre 2016 and this young guy had the latest HIBS badge on his right arm it truly was a thing of great beauty practically perfect in every way without looking tacky
    Got this done on my right upper arm a few years back.

Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I guess the term youngster is relative.I am thinking of footballers playing in the 70's or earlier. As an aside I really miss long sleeve football tops. I wonder if we will ever see another strip with long sleeves?

Footballers in the 70s used to spend all their time in the pub and then maybe become a publican when they retired.

Today’s footballers don’t. No great surprise they spend their money on things that don’t impact their physical fitness, and of course football is much more fashion conscious these days.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Have 6 myself bud and looking at some point in the future to getting the rest of my left arm covered up.

Got this done on my right upper arm a few years back.

How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking, really like that