hibs.net Messageboard

Page 298 of 428 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,940 of 12832

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The very common trend of people saying something provocative, getting a reaction then wanting to play the victim. See most Tories, failed actors and the like.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hate it with a passion, especially the stupid pun headlines in the daily papers. Some prick writes these things and an even bigger prick OK's them!
    Surely you enjoyed “Super Caley go Ballistic Celtic are Atrocious”

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    That was clever wasn't it? That's 2 now across the threads I'll concede are good. The other daily onslaught of drivel gives me the dry boak.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The term 'Cultural Appropriation' and how widely it's used for things that are just so trivial (and ridiculous).

White guy dares to get deadlocks and is decried for 'Cultural Appropriation', because it's a 'black thing' (that was actually the phrase used).

White Chef dares to make some Caribbean food on a TV show and it's 'Cultural Appropriation'.

Millions of people the world over sent their kids to school in tartan kilts.

Q: Is that 'Cultural Appropriation'?
    A: Who gives a ****!
    I’ve seen that so often I’m beginning to think what would happen the other way around.

Saw two Chinese dudes at my golf course recently learning to play...since golf is a game from Scotland I wonder if that could be classed as them culturally appropriating my sport?

On TV recently I saw a Japanese lass wearing doc martins...a rather British style of footwear so were they appropriating British culture?

Would seem odd to lambast either of them for doing perfectly normal things but going by some of the cultural appropriation stuff I’ve seen you never quite know.

Also I occasionally ponder what on Earth is wrong with a bit of cultural appropriation....seems to me it’s something that should be welcomed when a culture’s habits or whatever are shared and taken on by others. Surely it’s a sign of acceptance and integration...the very thing that I thought people from different cultures would value and celebrate.

Ach it’s a funny old world sometimes I suppose and without that this thread would have a lot less peeves on it!!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The term 'Cultural Appropriation' and how widely it's used for things that are just so trivial (and ridiculous).

White guy dares to get deadlocks and is decried for 'Cultural Appropriation', because it's a 'black thing' (that was actually the phrase used).

White Chef dares to make some Caribbean food on a TV show and it's 'Cultural Appropriation'.

Millions of people the world over sent their kids to school in tartan kilts.

Q: Is that 'Cultural Appropriation'?
    A: Who gives a ****!
    As a "privileged" white (getting close to middle age ) male, apparently I'm not afforded comment on such matters (so I was told on Twitter), and normally I don't get involved. But, last summer I got more than a little frustrated when Adele got lambasted for tying her hair up in "Bantu" knots, in celebration of Notting Hill Carnival. She got ripped apart by loads of people on all media forums.
    FFS, her hair was in buns, I was doing it to my daughters hair as soon as it was long enough. This really shouldn't be looked upon as cultural appropriation/misappropriation.
    If anything, people have been copying peoples since time began, look at fashion, tattoos & piercings. Many of them can probably be traced to a vague region on this small planet but they have been embraced & emulated the world over. If anything, the offended peoples should be flattered at the others worldly outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    As a "privileged" white (getting close to middle age ) male, apparently I'm not afforded comment on such matters (so I was told on Twitter), and normally I don't get involved. But, last summer I got more than a little frustrated when Adele got lambasted for tying her hair up in "Bantu" knots, in celebration of Notting Hill Carnival. She got ripped apart by loads of people on all media forums.
    FFS, her hair was in buns, I was doing it to my daughters hair as soon as it was long enough. This really shouldn't be looked upon as cultural appropriation/misappropriation.
    If anything, people have been copying peoples since time began, look at fashion, tattoos & piercings. Many of them can probably be traced to a vague region on this small planet but they have been embraced & emulated the world over. If anything, the offended peoples should be flattered at the others worldly outlook.

Actually, I'd forgot about that one.

I have to be honest that I genuinely think there are some people out there (probably a very small number) determined to be outraged and a vast array of media outlets that enjoy posting their views to be controversial and also to cash in on whatever cause is currently in the limelight.

Here's a few more counter examples:

Anybody wearing Paisley pattern that isn't from Paisley.
    Have you ever worn Slippers? Did you know they originate from South-East Asia (China and Vietnam)?
    Jeans, if worn by anybody that wasn't in the French navy in the 18th/19th century, should be a crime.

Side hustle. Or to be more exact, the attitude of some of the people who have them

firstly, and I’ll apologise now if this reads as sexist as it’s not meant that way at all, some of the females who do these things, and the stream of ‘mums making this work’, ‘at it like only mums can’, ‘mothers meeting their breaking point and making it happen anyway’. It comes across as if dads don’t provide or bother, or men in general. It’s not all women doing a side hustle who make these kind of comments, I just find them patronising, which is the opposite of the point of them.

secondly, this applies to men and women, when they pressure you to join their thing, but try to frame it that they’re doing you a favour, and ignore the polite refusal they’ve had and keep pushing you. Lots of replies like ‘yeah but you must have some spare time’, ‘Yeah but you could find a new way of living’, ‘yeah but I know someone who’s name I was told and not actually met or even seen in real life who has bought a fleet of cars and their own private island by doing this side hustle for 2 hours a week and raising 4 kids’.

side hustles that seem to begin as ‘sell these products and make a commission’ and swiftly lead to recruiting others and becoming a “life coach” to your team, where you make money from their sales.

people who brag about how early they get up and late they work on their side hustle, preaching their work ethic and the lifestyle it brings them, whilst simultaneously being lazy *******s at their job and often late etc, even though it’s their job that provides 90% of their income and where their negative behaviour affects others much more than the side hustle.

finally, the smug expression they give when they’re asked any questions that challenge or question their extreme belief in who amazing their side hustle is. When you ask about why other people make money off of their work, or why, since it’s such an amazing product, it can’t be found on tv or newspaper advertising or available in big shops or online retailers, or or why they are given strict scripts to follow rather than information to share, and so on. They give you this semi-pitied look as if you’re incapable of seeing how they’ve got the answer

and breath

I don't know if it's LinkedIn, Instagram, or social media in general that has caused it but this idea that getting 4 hours sleep a night in order to "hustle" is horrific, not to forget the people that celebrate it with the required "smashing it bro" styled replies.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Side hustle. Or to be more exact, the attitude of some of the people who have them

firstly, and I’ll apologise now if this reads as sexist as it’s not meant that way at all, some of the females who do these things, and the stream of ‘mums making this work’, ‘at it like only mums can’, ‘mothers meeting their breaking point and making it happen anyway’. It comes across as if dads don’t provide or bother, or men in general. It’s not all women doing a side hustle who make these kind of comments, I just find them patronising, which is the opposite of the point of them.

secondly, this applies to men and women, when they pressure you to join their thing, but try to frame it that they’re doing you a favour, and ignore the polite refusal they’ve had and keep pushing you. Lots of replies like ‘yeah but you must have some spare time’, ‘Yeah but you could find a new way of living’, ‘yeah but I know someone who’s name I was told and not actually met or even seen in real life who has bought a fleet of cars and their own private island by doing this side hustle for 2 hours a week and raising 4 kids’.

side hustles that seem to begin as ‘sell these products and make a commission’ and swiftly lead to recruiting others and becoming a “life coach” to your team, where you make money from their sales.

people who brag about how early they get up and late they work on their side hustle, preaching their work ethic and the lifestyle it brings them, whilst simultaneously being lazy *******s at their job and often late etc, even though it’s their job that provides 90% of their income and where their negative behaviour affects others much more than the side hustle.

finally, the smug expression they give when they’re asked any questions that challenge or question their extreme belief in who amazing their side hustle is. When you ask about why other people make money off of their work, or why, since it’s such an amazing product, it can’t be found on tv or newspaper advertising or available in big shops or online retailers, or or why they are given strict scripts to follow rather than information to share, and so on. They give you this semi-pitied look as if you’re incapable of seeing how they’ve got the answer

and breath
    I have someone in my work who does that pyramid make up scheme.
    Cant remember the name of the company but i googled it and it is a total scam.
    Mentioned my thoughts to her and she now basically doesnt really speak to me now "as she doesnt need negativity in her life".

That's straight out of a cults handbook.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    That's straight out of a cults handbook.
    Spelling error in one of those words?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

and breath
    Theres a woman I work with (fortunately she is full time WFH, I'm in the office) who has 2 or 3 of these ventures on the go, and is actively promoting her pish while on the clock of her main job. Candles, creams and cock-ups are the three things shes most known for round the place.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Theres a woman I work with (fortunately she is full time WFH, I'm in the office) who has 2 or 3 of these ventures on the go, and is actively promoting her pish while on the clock of her main job. Candles, creams and cock-ups are the three things shes most known for round the place.
    She’s selling WHAT?

Reminds me of a story my ex told me about. She’s a primary school teacher and one of the kids in the P1 class went into their bag, pulled out a big envelope and presented it to the very young teacher saying it was for her from her mummy. Said teacher opens the envelope to find a catalogue for adult toys and clothing. Turns out the mum was a sort of Avon-style rep and was trying to sell stuff to the other parents at the school drop-off. The bell rang, she put the envelope into the kid’s bag who assumed it was for the teacher given that’s who any other envelopes that her mum puts in the bag are for.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I know à woman who does the Juice Plus thing (called Club W here). She was doing well enough from it money wise that she packed in her job as a teacher.

However;

Despite loads of Facebook etc. posts about being so lucky to work from home and choose her hours, she works far more than she did teaching, without the long holidays and at all hours every day including weekends.

She went on one of their diet/cleansing programme things which is meant to last something like 6 or 12 weeks. That's almost 3 years she's been on it and has had some unusual health issues.

She's in the crap financially as she didn't set any of her earnings aside to pay her tax and other charges. Her husband doesn't earn a lot and they risk losing their house.

Despite all this she's still constantly advertising to hook new people into the set up.

What price can you really put on the social media dopamine hits though?

On the subject of "hustles" , is the "change your lifestyle with Forex trading" type pyramid schemes a thing in Scotland?

I went down the rabbit hole on Facebook and someone my parents know in Spain (an "expat" who has had about 20 different odd jobs there..) is constantly posting about "life changing" gains and "five figure" days with a "members only strategy".

I know that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but his "Forex brotherhood" all appear to be the type I wouldn't trust to get the messages in never mind turning in 10k a day with Forex.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who know nothing about a subject and when being told about it go "mm-hmm", "of course" and "yeah" rather than listen and learn.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    TV chefs when cooking. "Put in the oven at 170 for 30 mins. 20 if a fan oven". Some of the population still use gas, so giving us the gas equivalent would be useful. "Or Gas mark 7 etc etc".It really gets on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I laughed at this post. I sort of used to be that woman about 20 years ago. I can't remember the name of the company, they were massive and sold CD's. You subscribed and they sent you so many per month. The downside was, they just kept coming and if you didn't return them by a set time you had to pay (I think that's how it worked, it's hard to remember what the appeal to it was now). There was always refer a friend offers, so I actively used to go round the office/family recruiting new members to supplement my own CD collection free of charge.

I met a bloke I worked with who I hooked in about 5 years later and he swore he thought his credit rating had been trashed due to not returning or paying for what he described as a mountain of CD's he didn't even want. I thought I was being an entrepreneur, don't think he viewed it that way, we had a laugh about it so all was good.

It's election time so the 'take a pen so they can't rub out the pencil' brigade are out in force again. Attention seeking pish.

Ironically taking your own pen or pencil is being encouraged this year but not for the reasons the conspiracy theorists put forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's election time so the 'take a pen so they can't rub out the pencil' brigade are out in force again. Attention seeking pish.

Ironically taking your own pen or pencil is being encouraged this year but not for the reasons the conspiracy theorists put forward.
    Glasgow have purchased 250,000 pencils for one use only at Polling stations. Other LA's may have done the same, I heard the Glasgow story on the News.

TV series being called “seasons”.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    I laughed at this post. I sort of used to be that woman about 20 years ago. I can't remember the name of the company, they were massive and sold CD's. You subscribed and they sent you so many per month. The downside was, they just kept coming and if you didn't return them by a set time you had to pay (I think that's how it worked, it's hard to remember what the appeal to it was now). There was always refer a friend offers, so I actively used to go round the office/family recruiting new members to supplement my own CD collection free of charge.

I met a bloke I worked with who I hooked in about 5 years later and he swore he thought his credit rating had been trashed due to not returning or paying for what he described as a mountain of CD's he didn't even want. I thought I was being an entrepreneur, don't think he viewed it that way, we had a laugh about it so all was good.
    Britannia?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Britannia?
    Yes, thank you, it was annoying me I couldn't remember the name. I'm still wracking my mind what the appeal was, I'm thinking it was some free CD's with my first order although can't be certain.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Yes, thank you, it was annoying me I couldn't remember the name. I'm still wracking my mind what the appeal was, I'm thinking it was some free CD's with my first order although can't be certain.
    Ahh I vaguely remember that!

Sure you got 3 for the price of 1 or something first time around and they would then send you their top choice or two every month...which you then had to send back if you didn’t want it or they would charge you.

Like you it’s all lost in the mists of time but sure I got roped into that at one point!

That's what roped me in, I never really got involved in trying to get others along for the ride though.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Britannia?

I signed up for it when I bought my first cd player (1990 I think?) It was a cheap way to actually have something to play on it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

It so not so much her peddling her wares that annoys me, it's her doing it on company time while shes got a shedload of actual work to get through!

On a side not SC, that sound like an absolute con

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

I signed up for it when I bought my first cd player (1990 I think?) It was a cheap way to actually have something to play on it.
    I remember somehow ending up with a Mike & The Mechanics CD...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    I never liked that one, because it wrote Thistle out of existence. But that's just me.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I remember somehow ending up with a Mike & The Mechanics CD...
    Nobody's Perfect (1988) 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.