hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Middleton plays on the left usually - chances are it will be Horgan right and Middleton left with Newell dropping out.
    It's too early to make a final judgment on Newell, but what I've seen so far has been pretty bad, to put it mildly. Hopefully he'll settle in and improve.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    You hit the post with that one.
    Was trying to raise the bar.......

Middleton plays on the left usually - chances are it will be Horgan right and Middleton left with Newell dropping out.
    I was asking a couple of Sevconians about him over the weekend about him and they both used the phrase "wand of a left foot". They were also a bit wary of giving him away on loan as they thought he should be staying and pushing to get into their first team. Their first team isn't bad either.

He sounds good to me.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I understand the commonly understood meaning in football terms but the post could nevertheless correctly be called a stanchion since it supports the bar......
    It could be, but the usage would be wrong.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Have him and Heck ever been seen in the same room at the same time? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Have him and Heck ever been seen in the same room at the same time? :-)
    I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the picture of him on the official site announcement where he's wearing the away strip.

Mini me.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Other than the League Cup and Scottish Cup wins, and some other things, it's all been downhill since Konte left and the word 'stanchion' disappeared from common usage.

If you're wondering what all this has to do with Middleton; well, he'd better realise these things are important. And quickly.
    I’m not wondering much at all really. I’ve witnessed things week in week out including Konte missing the stanchion. And some other things. Stanchion remains in common use. Usage is a word I’ll leave to bloggers and the ‘Scotsman’ Wish we could hit the stanchion more often though. Wish the fellah in your avatar had hit the Hampden stanchion in 58 with his head not his hand. Wish Paddy had hit the stanchion with that penalty v Leeds and not the post. Wish Paco had hit the stanchions with that header v AEK instead of the North Stand.There will be more I suppose....
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 13-08-2019 at 03:57 PM.

I’m not wondering much at all really. I’ve witnessed things week in week out including Konte missing the stanchion. And some other things. Stanchion remains in common use. Usage is a word I’ll leave to bloggers and the ‘Scotsman’ Wish we could hit the stanchion more often though. Wish the fellah in your avatar had hit the Hamden stanchion in 58 with his head not his hand. Wish Paddy had hit the stanchion with that penalty v Leeds and not the post. Wish Paco had hit the stanchions with that header v AEK instead of the North Stand.There will be more I suppose....
    :agreed; Paco and Paddy unfortunately chose the wrong usage for their heads.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    :agreed; Paco and Paddy unfortunately chose the wrong usage for their heads.
    Paddy would’ve hit the stanchion if allowed usage of the heid from the penalty spot.

Delighted we have him in on loan, a very good young player who will add a lot to our team. He is quick, left footed and direct so will add great balance and a good out ball for us and get us up the pitch.

Re a couple of other players Iv seen mentioned on here

Newell - I’m certainly not writing him off, was our best player against Elgin and one of the best against St Mirren. He has skill and quality on the Ball and a great left foot, his time will come. Hopefully Middleton coming in frees him up from the left wing role

Mallan - For me he should be played like Kris Commons, very similar players imo and when you have the striking and passing ability he does it’s wasted so deep. Only issue with him is Allan is ahead of him in there

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It's too early to make a final judgment on Newell, but what I've seen so far has been pretty bad, to put it mildly. Hopefully he'll settle in and improve.
    I still think Newell can add something.

I haven't written him off like others. I've said since Day 1 he isn't a fast winger - but when allowed to drift inside and link up play he will add something to the team and help unlock some of these teams that sit in against us.

Having had Barker, Boyle, Agyepong we have had quite a bit of speed out wide - Middleton is more like them than Newell.

My theory about wingers is that they can be unplayable or at times useless. Obviously the level Hibs are at it can be 50/50. Higher up the levels you get more consistency and end product.

Paddy would’ve hit the stanchion if allowed usage of the heid from the penalty spot.
    True.

Lazy, incomplete posting by me.

That's the perils of making Zucchini soup. Courgette may be the usage you're more familiar with.

Although that's not usage, but I'm past caring

I still think Newell can add something.

I haven't written him off like others. I've said since Day 1 he isn't a fast winger - but when allowed to drift inside and link up play he will add something to the team and help unlock some of these teams that sit in against us.

Having had Barker, Boyle, Agyepong we have had quite a bit of speed out wide - Middleton is more like them than Newell.

My theory about wingers is that they can be unplayable or at times useless. Obviously the level Hibs are at it can be 50/50. Higher up the levels you get more consistency and end product.
    I don't really get Newell.

When I first saw him I quite liked the look of him. He wasn't what I was expecting having been on here, nowhere near as bad.

Now I've seen him a few times I just don't really see anything special. He's not hopeless (although he was on Sunday) but he's just a bit average. We could have got an average player for a fraction of what we are probably paying him. He strikes me as one that we've looked at and thought "he was playing in the Championship last season, probably worth having if he's within our budget" without having any thought about what he's like as a player or how he fits into our team.

If anything I think he looks like another attacking central midfielder to play off a striker. Allan should be a first pick there, Mallan a solid understudy. Newell isn't as good as those 2 but could probably put in a half decent shift there. I'd imagine that signing him from Rotherham will have cost us a decent wedge, a lot to spend on a third choice player, so we're wedging him in elsewhere wherever we can.

We've got three players for this position but can play one, two good goalkeepers but can play one and a gaping hole in the centre of midfield/ in front of our defence - in possibly the most important area of the park.

It all reminds me a bit of the Fenlon era, when he had about 50 defensive midfielders, no wingers, zero creativity, horrific imbalance and a relegation squad (in spite of having a few good individuals).

At least Middleton looks like a signing for a position and to be a first pick.

True.

Lazy, incomplete posting by me.

That's the perils of making Zucchini soup. Courgette may be the usage you're more familiar with.

Although that's not usage, but I'm past caring
    Special.

Hear we are already naming a pub on Easter road after him? Thought we'd at least see if he's any good first...

I'm not ecstatic at the thought of developing a young player for the huns, with the prospect of him going back there as a better player. Having said that, he has my full support whilst he's here and I hope it works out.

Special.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I cannae believe we've signed a player named after the away fans pub on Easter Road. Petrie, Farmer, Big Bad Ron ffs! 😁 G. 4IH is a much better player.
    Heckingbottoms fault imo

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I definitely understand the logic.

He's got attributes - a great shot, a good set piece, a decent pass. He has glaring weaknesses - he can't tackle, he's slow as a week in jail, he can't track runners, he won't win headers.

Instead of playing him somewhere where his weaknesses are exploited and his strengths are less noticeable we could play him somewhere where the opposite happens?

Occasionally we've struggled to get Scott Allan involved enough as he's been playing further forward (Stirling Albion, St Mirren) and maybe we could do with his creative ability a bit deeper?

I think we badly need to add to the squad to fix this problem but if we have to go with what we've got, this is as sensible a suggestion as any other I've heard.

Mallan wouldn't be on the shoulder of the last defender, he'd be playing off the front man - something that I'm sure would help Flo, who can find himself isolated at times.
    If folk think players get past mallan too easily in the middle (i think that too btw) then wait until they see scott allan in there!! Haha.

A 3421 formation would allow both to play in the area behind a lone striker. But the wingbacks would have to put in a hell of a shift to make that work. And horgan would be benched.

Welcome to our club, Glenn.

I do hope that the 6-1 drubbing at the hands of your parent club does not mislead you into thinking that you have made a mistake in coming to play for Heckingbottom.

Hopefully you will get we supporters off our seats.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Hear we are already naming a pub on Easter road after him? Thought we'd at least see if he's any good first...
    I win! 😉

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    Welcome to our club, Glenn.

I do hope that the 6-1 drubbing at the hands of your parent club does not mislead you into thinking that you have made a mistake in coming to play for Heckingbottom.

Hopefully you will get we supporters off our seats.

I wish you the very best of luck.
    What a beautiful and welcoming letter.

I just hope he reads Hibs.net 😉

The Stanchions are the things at the back of the goal holding the net up.
    I thought they were a Hibs tribute band.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    What a beautiful and welcoming letter.

I just hope he reads Hibs.net 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Delighted we have him in on loan, a very good young player who will add a lot to our team. He is quick, left footed and direct so will add great balance and a good out ball for us and get us up the pitch.

Re a couple of other players Iv seen mentioned on here

Newell - I’m certainly not writing him off, was our best player against Elgin and one of the best against St Mirren. He has skill and quality on the Ball and a great left foot, his time will come. Hopefully Middleton coming in frees him up from the left wing role

Mallan - For me he should be played like Kris Commons, very similar players imo and when you have the striking and passing ability he does it’s wasted so deep. Only issue with him is Allan is ahead of him in there
    Newall looks like the kind of player to me that will do ok in home games against bottom 6 clubs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Newall looks like the kind of player to me that will do ok in home games against bottom 6 clubs.
    He's played over 100 games in the championship, there must be more to his game that what we've seen so far.

Think Middleton is a very good signing in all honesty. If he has as much of an impact as Christie had at Aberdeen I'll be delighted. If he ends up improving the Huns then so be it.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Think Middleton is a very good signing in all honesty. If he has as much of an impact as Christie had at Aberdeen I'll be delighted. If he ends up improving the Huns then so be it.

I don't think he'll ever be a first team regular at Rangers.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Wiki knows

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanchion

"In association football and other goal-based sports, horizontal or diagonal extensions to the goalposts that prevent the goalnet from drooping."
    I stand corrected you're right of course. He hit the 'junction of post and bar' just doesn't sound as good. Great pub name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    High. Surely if yer heid then yer High not Hi. Hipster talk mug that you are.