hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Having a go

Having a go

Watched Barnsley tonight throwing everything at Swansea to try and overcome a deficit and get into the premiership.
    We, however put on Halberg for Newall and let it all drift by.
    I believe we have to back Ross and cant go changing again, but he and the club must know that today was pathetic and the least we should have expected was to throw the kitchen sink at them to get back into the game. Even if we still fell short. Have a go for goodness sake!
    Sure we will hear all about the achievement of finishing third but I'm afraid today's negative performance completely taints that as far as I'm concerned.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Barnsley? Who the **** cares

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barnsley? Who the **** cares
    The point I'm making is that I saw a team losing a big game and throwing everything at trying to get back in it.
    Hibs tried absolutely nothing different as the game went on and showed no extra urgency or passion.
    That's what bothered me more than anything yesterday. You push Newall further forward not take him off for yet another holding mid. You stick daz or hanlon up front for the last 10. You do something!

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    The point I'm making is that I saw a team losing a big game and throwing everything at trying to get back in it.
    Hibs tried absolutely nothing different as the game went on and showed no extra urgency or passion.
    That's what bothered me more than anything yesterday. You push Newall further forward not take him off for yet another holding mid. You stick daz or hanlon up front for the last 10. You do something!
    Bang on, and how we never troubled them after the penalty save was so disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Watched Barnsley tonight throwing everything at Swansea to try and overcome a deficit and get into the premiership.
    We, however put on Halberg for Newall and let it all drift by.
    I believe we have to back Ross and cant go changing again, but he and the club must know that today was pathetic and the least we should have expected was to throw the kitchen sink at them to get back into the game. Even if we still fell short. Have a go for goodness sake!
    Sure we will hear all about the achievement of finishing third but I'm afraid today's negative performance completely taints that as far as I'm concerned.
    You might get a few "who cares, it's kin' Barnsley" responses but I expected a similar ending to our game after Macey gave us our lifeline with 20 mins to go...but he we got the same turgid, one paced football as in the previous 70 mins.

The last 20 mins was agony! Pump the ball up, the 3 centre halves clear their lines and St Johnstone win the 2nd ball. We regain position after a St Johnstone attack and then do the same, again and again.. Torture!

Quote Originally Posted by fiolex1 View Post
    The last 20 mins was agony! Pump the ball up, the 3 centre halves clear their lines and St Johnstone win the 2nd ball. We regain position after a St Johnstone attack and then do the same, again and again.. Torture!
    Agreed, it honestly felt like there wasn't one player on that park In the last 20 mins with a footballing brain. How could they not see that hopeless balls up to Doidge weren't working?

The most painful part of that match was without a doubt our lack of a response to the penalty save. But even ignoring that we had 60+ mins of football to score a single goal with them sitting deep and we were woeful, like the OP says you expect the kitchen sink to be thrown at it.

We had no one left on the bench to make an impact after Murphy went on.

It is clear that we need more players with a bit of ability to do the unexpected, but in JRs defence, that usually comes about when you have gained some semblance of consistency. We've probably got to that stage, and its now time to expand by bringing in players who can make the difference.

For me, Nisbet has been a disappointment. I don't think he fits in with the work ethic required, despite what John Collins said. Maybe that was a gamble that didn't pay off. It happens.

Hopefully we can add some 'flair' to the team but the defence will be a problem next season. It needs fixed. Porteous, Hanlon, McGregor, Gray and Stevenson can't now be relied on.

It won't be easy, but JR needs to find a system that suits Scott Allan. That would be my priority. If he can't he should let him go.