hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, Ryan Gauld?

@hibs.net private member

So, Ryan Gauld?

Apologies if there’s already been a thread about this, but with the link to Hibs apparently becoming stronger, does anyone have any thoughts on this prospect?

Seems a genuine talent. Technically outstanding, but how would hibs fare against the Sporting Lisbon B team which is where he currently plays. And can hibs accommodate Mallan, Allan (as I’m sure he will be joining) and Gauld in the same midfield?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by judas; 05-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He was class when he left for sporting can't say I've followed his progress but you never loose what he's got so I'm sure he'll be a very good acquisition pal.

Is he with sporting reserves or farense?

If it's the latter they are playing tomorrow. It might be on farense TV :-)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Someone posted on the transfer thread that he's signing for Aberdeen.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Bit like Allan really very talented but not fulfilled the potential - until he came to Hibs so you never know. Seems a bit lightweight for an already short lad as well to cope with a very physical SFPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone posted on the transfer thread that he's signing for Aberdeen.
    And others said it was a fake account

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Is he with sporting reserves or farense?

If it's the latter they are playing tomorrow. It might be on farense TV :-)
    Currently at farense, be interesting if he is in the squad

Quote Originally Posted by Connollys11 View Post
    He was class when he left for sporting can't say I've followed his progress but you never loose what he's got so I'm sure he'll be a very good acquisition pal.
    He has never had much of a look in at Sporting. His time there consisted mainly of loans to fellow Primeira Liga sides - some with more game time than others.

There was one occasion where he was allowed to play against his parent club in the cup and was instrumental in putting them out. Sporting took the huff and recalled him from what was looking like a successful loan period.

Currently he is on loan at Segunda liga side Farense where he is getting a start most weeks.

I reckon he would do a decent job for us or Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    Bit like Allan really very talented but not fulfilled the potential - until he came to Hibs so you never know. Seems a bit lightweight for an already short lad as well to cope with a very physical SFPL.
    To be fair he was coping well with it at Dundee United. I'd be quite excited about him signing but im greedy so also want Allan.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Impossible to say. Could be a decent signing, hasn’t done a lot since he left Scotland though. Even if he’s as good as he was at DU then he’d be half decent, your like to think he’s got better than he was when he was 17 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    He has never had much of a look in at Sporting. His time there consisted mainly of loans to fellow Primeira Liga sides - some with more game time than others.

There was one occasion where he was allowed to play against his parent club in the cup and was instrumental in putting them out. Sporting took the huff and recalled him from what was looking like a successful loan period.

Currently he is on loan at Segunda liga side Farense where he is getting a start most weeks.

I reckon he would do a decent job for us or Aberdeen.
    That's pish patter ae haha sounds like he's never had a fair crack of the whip. Hopefully we can get him but if the sheep are in for him aswell then a can't see him signing for us over them especially with him being from that area and the wages they're currently paying out! As long as we get Scott Allan that's the main thing this signing would just be a bonus Allan is priority.

Wasn’t it Levein who brought him through at Dundee United? If so, any chance he could join another Edinburgh club?

In truth he will be a bit of an unknown quantity … if he has acquired the savvy to dodge heavy tackles and hold the ball under pressure from more physical players his alleged natural talent should shine through.

But my main concern is that for a player with so much alleged talent he hasn't really made an impression at Sporting and for all of his loan spells doesn't seem to have attracted much attention from other clubs who would perhaps think he was gettable given Sporting's reluctance to give him a first team chance. I know there's a massive release clause, but that was written in at the start of his contract 3 and a half years ago and I highly doubt even Sporting would take it seriously if a reasonable bid came in and I'm talking in the thousands, not millions.

In fact I cant really remember anybody raving about his appearances for Scotland under 21s either, which considering the hype surrounding him I find rather surprising.

I would like us to acquire him in the hope that he will live up to our expectations, but in all honesty I'm under no illusions that he is going to have a John McGinn or Scott Allan like impact on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    In truth he will be a bit of an unknown quantity … if he has acquired the savvy to dodge heavy tackles and hold the ball under pressure from more physical players his alleged natural talent should shine through.

But my main concern is that for a player with so much alleged talent he hasn't really made an impression at Sporting and for all of his loan spells doesn't seem to have attracted much attention from other clubs who would perhaps think he was gettable given Sporting's reluctance to give him a first team chance. I know there's a massive release clause, but that was written in at the start of his contract 3 and a half years ago and I highly doubt even Sporting would take it seriously if a reasonable bid came in and I'm talking in the thousands, not millions.

In fact I cant really remember anybody raving about his appearances for Scotland under 21s either, which considering the hype surrounding him I find rather surprising.

I would like us to acquire him in the hope that he will live up to our expectations, but in all honesty I'm under no illusions that he is going to have a John McGinn or Scott Allan like impact on the team.
    Very few players in Scotland would make the grade at Sporting. 2 or 3 Celtic players possibly but nobody else in the league would be good enough to make it at them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Must be the Johna song when he signs!

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Must be the Johna song when he signs!
    What song? Surely should be the Rob Jones song

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    There’s already a transfer thread. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Very few players in Scotland would make the grade at Sporting. 2 or 3 Celtic players possibly but nobody else in the league would be good enough to make it at them.
    I agree mate, but on the gathering evidence that Gaud looks like falling into that category I'm still surprised that the hundreds of clubs out there who aren't of the standard of Sporting but still have loads of money to spend haven't tried to attract him. As I said, I highly doubt the 60 million Euro release clause or whatever it was is anything like a factor now and I would imagine his parent club wouldn't be that hard to deal with given his obvious lack of progression to the standard of player Sporting Lisbon are looking for.

I don't know if we can read too much into the lack of a move. He always claimed to be happy in Portugal. Maybe he was? Maybe it is only now that he has had to drop down a division for a game that he is prepared to move?

More likely it was Sporting who wanted to keep their player close. As his contract runs down they may have softened on that policy? Who knows?

Too many questions but the lad can play.

Henderson doesn't get a look in for Scotland either but we'd all take him back.

Not sure why you are saying “alleged” talent? He was phenomenal for Dundee Utd before his move.

Played as a number 10 then but think he might be suited a bit deeper now, time will tell. Every signing is a gamble but these are the type of moves I’d favour, young talented guys with something to prove.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Which tbf is a car crash of not much more than bickering

I agree mate, but on the gathering evidence that Gaud looks like falling into that category I'm still surprised that the hundreds of clubs out there who aren't of the standard of Sporting but still have loads of money to spend haven't tried to attract him. As I said, I highly doubt the 60 million Euro release clause or whatever it was is anything like a factor now and I would imagine his parent club wouldn't be that hard to deal with given his obvious lack of progression to the standard of player Sporting Lisbon are looking for.
    I think the downside could be if he signs and has a phenomenal 5 months he will likely be out of our budget both transfer and wages wise. If he tears up the league then I could see Celtic and/or Rangers being interested.

We would then be back to square one in the summer and need to find another playmaker. I personally think if he signs he will be a quality signing and his time in Portugal will have improved him considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    To be fair he was coping well with it at Dundee United. I'd be quite excited about him signing but im greedy so also want Allan.
    Ignoring the argument that you can never have too many good players my concern would be that during the summer window we signed good players without focusing on signing the players need for a good team.

In hindsight you may think some of those players look like bad signings but at the time at least they looked good.
    I'm not sure it ever looked like we had a team.

Is struggle to see Allan, Mallam and Gauld in the same team z and that team working..... At the very least I think you'd be forced to play one up front and two actual centre miss who can run the Midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Not sure why you are saying “alleged” talent? He was phenomenal for Dundee Utd before his move.

Played as a number 10 then but think he might be suited a bit deeper now, time will tell. Every signing is a gamble but these are the type of moves I’d favour, young talented guys with something to prove.
    He may well have talent, but at 23 years of age that has taken him as far as Sporting's reserve team and a number of loan spells. You have to ask why this phenomenal player only managed to amass 11 Scotland under 21 caps … its not as if we were awash with world class talent in that area.

Don't get me wrong, he may be a great wee player … but for me I would want to see him perform for Hibs or if it turns out to be Bristol City or Aberdeen them before I start wetting my knickers about his virtues as a footballer.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Wasn’t it Levein who brought him through at Dundee United? If so, any chance he could join another Edinburgh club?
    Jackie Mac (Jnr). His dad was talking about it in today’s Sun.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhibs View Post
    Which tbf is a car crash of not much more than bickering
    True enough mate. Hard work reading through it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    What song? Surely should be the Rob Jones song
    Yeah that’s who I meant 😂👍

First Team Breakthrough
    True enough mate. Hard work reading through it.
    Best thing I've seen is the tommy block song!

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Jackie Mac (Jnr). His dad was talking about it in today’s Sun.
    I stand corrected!

Coaching Staff
    But absolutely no transfer news of any kind.