hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Travel

I'd say travel and sport and in particular football as far as sport is concerned are the greatest passions in my life other than family obviously.

With that in mind, where are the greatest and most enjoyable places you have visited? Where would you most like to visit next?

I think Ive managed to chalk up between 43-45 different countries now (bit of a culture junkie) consistently (although from time to time does change) my three favourite Cities are Marrakesh, Edinburgh and Cape Town.

Place i would most like to visit next, probably Mexico or Japan.

What about you?

2. Log in to remove the advert

hi

Im a fan of travelling also though i dont think i ve seen enough of the world though.I ve been to turkey,sadly did not enjoy as much. spain and london (when i was like young so dont remeber much) I did love tenerife, been there 2-3 times .
    I think as for the most enjoyable place(s) i have been to is a tie, our first trip to las vegas or our last trip in 2016 which was las vegas and new york double city break for 2 weeks (10 days in vegas 3 and a half days in new york) . both were amazing trips. though i ve been to new york on its own, which was good too !
    I think my fav places in order would be vegas- new york and tenerife

As for places i d like to visit i d love to do something like the amazon rain forrest,dunno why though just looks like intresting.Miami also looks good as well , as dubai and aussieland!

I'd like to go to Italy again.

I've never done any proper travelling as such, just holidays to the usual European places. So many places I want to go though. Various parts of the US, New Zealand and Vietnam to name a few. Doubt I ever will see them all though.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I know a lot of people don’t actually enjoy it but to me NYC is the greatest place in the world.

Always wanted to go to Chicago and the West Coast of the USA. Hopefully get there soon.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know a lot of people don’t actually enjoy it but to me NYC is the greatest place in the world.

Always wanted to go to Chicago and the West Coast of the USA. Hopefully get there soon.
    NYC is certainly up there as one of the best places I have been to, will be there again soon too. Always fancied Australia and Hong Kong myself.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

West Coast of the USA is amazing.

Great cities San Francisco, LA and San Diego are all brilliant in different ways. The drive between them, and some of the wee towns (Santa Barbara, Carmel) are class.

I watch a lot of American golf, and I think a trip to watch the Masters at Augusta would be the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    West Coast of the USA is amazing.

Great cities San Francisco, LA and San Diego are all brilliant in different ways. The drive between them, and some of the wee towns (Santa Barbara, Carmel) are class.

I watch a lot of American golf, and I think a trip to watch the Masters at Augusta would be the best for me.
    I'd love to go to Augusta even for a practice round. I think the walk around the beautiful course would be incredible.

You should sign up for the raffle for tickets.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I love a bit of travelling too, I inter-railed around Europe for a month between uni and work which was amazing - went to 12 different cities all in all (Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt, Prague, Krakow, Vienna, Budapest, Zagreb, Luljabana, Venice, Pisa, Florence) - I would love to do something similar to that again. Getting a month off is no longer as simple as it was during uni though!

Other longer holidays I've done have been down the East coast of USA (NY, DC, Atlantic City, Philly, Orlando, Miami) and a Carribean trip (Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman Isl, Cozumel on a cruise, then Cuba). Both of which were fab, and quite different from each other.

Travelling within Scotland is also great - I tend to do this on foot, but I'm sure there are also great driving and ferry options. I've done the West Highland Way, Great Glen Way, Rob Roy Way, and parts of the John Muir Way.

Places I'd like to go: SE Asia (cambodia, Laos, Vietnam), African safari, Japan, Scandanavia (Fjords and northern lights), and island hopping around NW Scotland. I'd also like to go on some walking/running trips around Europe - part of the El Camino de Santiago walk across Spain is meant to be a great experience (I think there was maybe a thread about it on here before and some people had done it before).

Is it too early to look at 2019 holidays?
    Mon the Hibs.

One or two mentions there for SE Asia. My last few travels have taken me into SE Asia, I have a few friends in Thailand both Thai nationals and Ex Pats which helps with costs, travel arrangements and accommodation. Ive used Thailand as a base to then go and visit Malaysia and last year Vietnam both of which were fantastic experiences. In Vietnam we stayed in Da Nang and Hoi Ann loved both but in particularly Hoi Ann. Haven't done it yet but you can also get a train from Ho Chi Min City to Hanoi and can get off where you like, that would be a great way of seeing the country and visiting different places. I'm going back to Thailand in October but this time just staying in Thailand, been invited to a Thai wedding which should be a bit different and although Ive visited Thailand three times I have only spent a relative short period in Bangkok so this time Im spending half of my trip there.

The only grey area in the world for my travels so far is South America, will have to put that right one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I'd say travel and sport and in particular football as far as sport is concerned are the greatest passions in my life other than family obviously.

With that in mind, where are the greatest and most enjoyable places you have visited? Where would you most like to visit next?

I think Ive managed to chalk up between 43-45 different countries now (bit of a culture junkie) consistently (although from time to time does change) my three favourite Cities are Marrakesh, Edinburgh and Cape Town.

What about you?
    If you ever get the chance to go to Japan, do it.

It’s the most fascinating place I’ve ever been and it was my first experience of Asia. I know it’s very different from most of SE Asia but when I arrived here I was in awe at the place and how fast paced, efficient and bright the lights were in Shinjuku! What also amazed me was there was absolutely nothing in the way of anti social behaviour in Tokyo on the weekend, everyone is so well behaved and obey every single road crossing no matter how busy the road is!

I also travelled down to Kyoto, Hiroshima and then flew home from Osaka. Kyoto is a highlight along with Tokyo, nowhere near as cosmopolitans as Tokyo but there is a great Japanese traditional feel to the place (as well as being very tourist friendly).

It’s expensive but if you are prepared to sacrifice a little and have the means to do so then go for it.

One place i never thought i would like was Las Vegas.

Found it fascinating and loved the shows. In particular the Ka theatre is a tech marvel.

Love NYC 🗽. Only problem is, my wife and daughter absolutely hate it so I can't see me going back anytime soon. Been all over the world and seen so many great things and places but my 2 favourite are in Spain. There's this little cove beach I go to (not telling you where other than its on the costa del sol) that is just like heaven on earth to me. It's quite difficult to get down onto the beach but once your there you tend to have it all to yourself. If you time it right and just sit there as the sun sets and the water crashes of the rocks, well I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Beautiful. The other place is a car park lol. It's away up the hills behind a place called Torrox (not to be confused with Torrox Costa). In this car park is a bench and I can just sit there for hours. The views are amazing as you look to the mountains or down to the coast and the sea. The sky is so blue and you just feel you can touch it. It's just special to me. So special in fact that my wife and children have been told that when I die, this is the place I want my ashes scattered.

Biggest disappointment, Paris. Total dump IMO and the only place I've been on holiday where I genuinely felt unsafe.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

What about you?
    Favourite so far - Iguazu in Brazil. Falls are breathtaking, I'd recommend it to anyone. Nice little city as well, good food with some quirky bars.

Blue Mountains is a fantastic sight as well, great day trip from Sydney.

Budapest, Madrid, Barcelona all great city trips in Europe. All offering different things but fantastic depending on what you want at the time.

Going to NYC and Cuba later in the year which will be interesting. Fancy seeing some of Asia and more of South America at some point.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Great thread!

I love visiting former soviet states. Georgia, Belarus, Armenia, Ukraine, all 3 Baltics and former eastern block countries like Poland etc. Incredible history, great bars and nightlife and usually great value for money. The most incredible day I've ever spent was when I visited Chernobyl, closely followed by Auschwitz. Europe has so much to offer with so many completely different cultures in a relatively small area. Probably not a very popular choice but Germany is another favourite.

Israel was pretty special.....even for a devout atheist, visiting the (alleged) locations of the birth and death of Jesus on the same day was pretty special. The Dead Sea, Massada, Jerusalem, Bethleham....so much history in one little country. Such a complex but beautiful place.

Another shout for NYC, like London, you can just walk around for hours and stumble across famous buildings or places of interest. Love it!

High on my hit list are Vegas for a gig or big fight and Russia....need to visit Moscow!
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 26-08-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I like to think I'm well travelled, and then I read threads like this!

I'm lucky that I get to travel a LOT with work.

The West Coast of the USA is lovely, but I find the major cities a little bit patchy. For all I love San Francisco, I also absolutely hate it. It's ludicrously overpriced, the gap between "have" and "have not" is unlike anything you'll ever see, the homeless situation is as bad as any major US city I've visited, and the nature of the homeless people can be REALLY unsavoury indeed. Seattle was a slightly different story - a much more European feel to the city (and not just because it rains so much) - however, the homeless situation in Pac NW is still quite intimidating.

I love Florida, but not the "theme park" version of Florida (that'll change when my daughter gets a bit older, I'm sure). I've spent time in a few other parts of the US (lived in Rhode Island for a while, studied in Ann Arbor for a few months, and spent a lot of time around Michigan/Ohio/Indiana and Chicago visiting friends in that area).

Around Europe, I really loved Vienna and Brugge. Both gorgeous cities with lots to offer. I did a week long tour of the Battlefields of WW1 around Ypres etc and it's a really stunning experience. I've never visited Asia, South America or Africa. Spent a bit of time living in New Zealand when I was 7, but I'd like to go back as I don't really remember much.

It might seem a little boring, but London remains one of my favourite cities on Earth. It has SO much to offer, and it's right on our doorstep.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Favourite 3
    Paris - just love the feel of the place
    Austin - was staying in the Hill Country at Wimberley which was just lovely, 2 days in Austin would love to go back
    Orlando - Wdw and US are just great, esp with young kids

Worst
    Athens - awful place considering the history it has
    Houston - just felt like it was all concrete (and too bloody hot)
    Birmingham - the most unsafe I've ever felt anywhere in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I like to think I'm well travelled, and then I read threads like this!

I'm lucky that I get to travel a LOT with work.

The West Coast of the USA is lovely, but I find the major cities a little bit patchy. For all I love San Francisco, I also absolutely hate it. It's ludicrously overpriced, the gap between "have" and "have not" is unlike anything you'll ever see, the homeless situation is as bad as any major US city I've visited, and the nature of the homeless people can be REALLY unsavoury indeed. Seattle was a slightly different story - a much more European feel to the city (and not just because it rains so much) - however, the homeless situation in Pac NW is still quite intimidating.

I love Florida, but not the "theme park" version of Florida (that'll change when my daughter gets a bit older, I'm sure). I've spent time in a few other parts of the US (lived in Rhode Island for a while, studied in Ann Arbor for a few months, and spent a lot of time around Michigan/Ohio/Indiana and Chicago visiting friends in that area).

Around Europe, I really loved Vienna and Brugge. Both gorgeous cities with lots to offer. I did a week long tour of the Battlefields of WW1 around Ypres etc and it's a really stunning experience. I've never visited Asia, South America or Africa. Spent a bit of time living in New Zealand when I was 7, but I'd like to go back as I don't really remember much.

It might seem a little boring, but London remains one of my favourite cities on Earth. It has SO much to offer, and it's right on our doorstep.
    I don't get the San Francisco popularity either. Much nicer in the wine country areas to the north. Mind you expensive and a little dangerous too with the ever present wildfires.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Been to Germany a few times but always wanted to go to Berlin due to the history of the place.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

New Zealand was incredible, did the South Island and Wellington on the North Island. A return to do the North Island is definitely on the cards.

Recently, Bergen and the Faroe Islands were stunning if outdoor scenery is your thing. Iceland has some really other worldly scenery.

I've travelled to most of Western/Central Europe, North America, Mexico and Colombia as well as Doha, Oz (Brisbane only, far too hot) and NZ.

Favourite cities are Lisbon, Edinburgh and, perhaps unsurprisingly, Lyon.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Travel broadens the mind. I've set foot on every continent on the planet barring Australia. For some reason it just doesn't appeal to me.

For scenery the Canadian Rockies take a bit of beating.

There is a Scottish flavour to the place, with towns called stuff like Banff, Airdrie and Carstairs.

They are beautiful in the summer and beautiful in the winter, and some of the views up top are unbelievable.

Banff is a cracking wee town.

I'd love to go back and see more of Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Been to Germany a few times but always wanted to go to Berlin due to the history of the place.
    I’ve been to Berlin twice. The first time was watching Hibs away to Union Berlin so it’s fair to say I did more boozing than sight seeing other than the Branenburg Gate and the like. I’d always had a bit of an interest in Cold War sort of stuff but did a bit more reading up on the GDR since then and visited again three years ago, coinciding with a Noel Gallagher concert. Found it a whole lot more fascinating after doing more research beforehand. I just find it staggering that such important events happened so recently in such a major Western country.

Of other Hibs trips, I’d happily go back to Malmö at some point. Belgium was very mixed. Charleroi was an absolute dump and felt particularly unnerving with large gangs of Turks seemingly having free reign of the place. Herentals, however, where we played SK Lierse was an absolute delight. Picture perfect little town with bars round the town square etc, exactly as I’d imagine.

Went to Toronto for a week earlier this summer and found it to be absolutely amazing. Just so chilled out wherever you went. The stereotypes about Canadian politeness are absolutely bang on, everyone was so friendly. Very little in the way of beggars, homelessness and the like and never felt unsafe at any point, even late at night, although it did turn out there had been a shooting a couple of blocks away from our apartment one night! Had a day trip to Niagara, went to the baseball (twice in fact, we enjoyed it so much) and generally just had a blast. We went during the World Cup and it was such a cosmopolitan please with seemingly everyone being dual nationality with so many cars flying the Canadian flag on one side and their ancestral flag on the other.

I do enjoy going to London a couple of times a year where possible watching Bolton. Sometimes take it for granted that it’s only 2 hours away on the train. Seems to change every time we go, as does Edinburgh in fairness.

Didn’t feel unsafe in Paris apart from when passing through Gare de Nord and generally quite liked it, though this was a 24 hour trip for rugby in 2009. Have visited Toulouse probably half a dozen times and love it there, a very Manchester-type vibe. Found Perpignan and neighbouring Canet on the coast to both be lovely when visiting for rugby last year.

Had a day trip to Barcelona in 2006 when in Lloret de Mar and found it to be an absolute dive for the parts we saw, albeit just en route to the Nou Camp ahead of going to a game there. Happy to give it another go in summer.

The rest of my travelling has generally been for beach holidays. Ibiza, Menorca, probably half a dozen or more visits to Majorca, Tenerife and currently in Bulgaria.

Can’t say I’ve ever been attracted to the idea of Thailand etc but would love to visit Australia, Sydney and Brisbane in particular. I expect our next visit to Toronto will probably be via a few days in NYC as well.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I've visited a few countries, but not nearly as many as I'd like to.

Been to -

Iceland - Reykjavik
    USA - New York, Boston
    Dominican Republic - Puerto Plata, La Romana, Punta Cana
    Mexico - Riviera Maya
    Egypt - Sharm el Sheikh
    Tunisia - Hammamet
    Hungary - Budapest
    Spain - Barcelona, Tenerife, Salou, Torrevieja
    Turkey - Altinkum, Marmaris, Icmeler
    Thailand - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Krabi, Ko Lanta, Ko Ngai, Phi Phi (few other places...can't remember right now)
    Holland - Amsterdam

Will be going away somewhere over new year this year, but not sure exactly where yet.

Next year, I'm off to my mates wedding in Sorrento, in July. With his stag do in April. I'm still trying to decide where to book for the stag do though.

My favourite places I've been were prob Budapest and Chiang Mai. Marmaris was, by far, the worst.
    Last edited by easty; 27-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Much the same as Frazerbob re Baltic/former Soviet states - Pripyat/Chernobyl would be at the top of my list too.

I really like Leuven and have been back a couple of times since Hibs played there, so many bars its ridiculous! :-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 27-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Travel broadens the mind. I've set foot on every continent on the planet barring Australia. For some reason it just doesn't appeal to me.
    Very much so. A favourite Mark Twain quote

"twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do, than by the ones you did do.
    so throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour, catch the trade winds in your sails"

Explore Dream Discover.

On Australia, it was never top or even near the top of my list either, but I visited for a friends wedding in the late 90s and thoroughly enjoyed it, met some great people, saw some great sights and had some fantastic experiences which to me is what travel is all about. We basically did the Gold Coast, Brisbane and Noosa. Im very open minded about travel but have to admit Australia did surprise me in a very positive way.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    For scenery the Canadian Rockies take a bit of beating.

There is a Scottish flavour to the place, with towns called stuff like Banff, Airdrie and Carstairs.

They are beautiful in the summer and beautiful in the winter, and some of the views up top are unbelievable.

Banff is a cracking wee town.

I'd love to go back and see more of Canada.
    Agreed. Spent 5 months in Calgary with work last year and it's amazing having that scenery on your doorstep. The city empties out at the weekend as everyone heads into the mountains for mountain biking in the summer and skiing in the winter. Banff is nice but I much prefer Canmore, lovely wee town. Calgary is also full of Scots. The Okanagan Valley (wine region in BC) is also stunning if you head West through the rockies. Breathtaking drive.

Next up for me is Prague next week. Heard good things and looking forward to it.

I’ve seen Japan and Mexico mentioned on this thread . I’d highly recommend both.

My travel was done in the pre internet day. I flew to Mexico DF, got my 30 day visa at the airport and took a taxi into town. Pre-booked hotels? We never knew it was possible 😄

Mexico has a fabulous long distance bus network, and the people are fantastic. Very old fashioned in the best way. Polite, friendly and justifiably proud of their country.

Japan is something else. My first few days in Tokyo were a blur. The noise, the neon, the crowds. 22 million people with straight black hair is a little unnerving 😄

A Japan Rail Pass is a must. It allows you to see the country at an affordable price. I’d recommend staying in traditional inns, ryokan and minshuku. Tatami mats and sliding paper screen doors. Again, the people are amazing and friendly.

Ah, Scotorando, golfu and whiskyo. They know all about Scotland .

Good luck wherever you choose to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Next up for me is Prague next week. Heard good things and looking forward to it.
    Drink in bars about 50yds from the 2 main squares and you'll save a fortune (Repete is a particular favourite of mine), head to the Zizkov area where you'll find plenty of decent bars.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 27-08-2018 at 07:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Drink in bars about 50yds from the 2 main squares and you'll save a fortune (Repete is a particular favourite of mine), head to the Zizkov area where you'll find plenty of decent bars.
    Spent a week in Zizkov when in Prague for the Scotland game in 1999. 12p for a pint of Starropramen!