hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    News to me as well.

If that's the case Leigh will be dumped by Celtic.
    It's the only sensible decision.
    £19k a week for next to no return.

So Aberdeen or Hibs for no more than £5k a week beckons.
    The gravy train has hit the buffers.
    £0.25m a year ain't bad buffers!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    £0.25m a year ain't bad buffers!
    For you and me it would be heaven
    But for him it is the beginning of the end.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 07-04-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    News to me as well.

If that's the case Leigh will be dumped by Celtic.
    It's the only sensible decision.
    £19k a week for next to no return makes no sense.
    Alternative is that they radically change his contract but I suspect they are bored to death with his lack of professionalism.

So Aberdeen or Hibs for no more than £5k a week beckons.
    The gravy train has hit the buffers.
    Will likely be a decision for the new Celtic Manager or CEO. I agree though, Celtic keeping Leigh on the same terms seems unlikely.

If he leaves, there's got to be a good chance he'll end up at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My understanding of this was totally wrong then, I thought he had a year left but it’s only an option which Celtc haven’t taken yet.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...mmer-aberdeen/

A free transfer to us or Aberdeen seems more likely than I thought it was before.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

JR did say he wanted a left sided striker!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the fence about Griffiths coming back to Hibs and swaying towards not wanting him as we aren't a charity club. If he's not fit enough or in the right frame of mind for Celtic then he shouldn't be for Hibs either. However the more I think about it the more I think he'd be a great addition, for Europe especially. Bags of experience and we do need to add numbers. I'd like to think we weren't going to Europe just for a jolly.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I was on the fence about Griffiths coming back to Hibs and swaying towards not wanting him as we aren't a charity club. If he's not fit enough or in the right frame of mind for Celtic then he shouldn't be for Hibs either. However the more I think about it the more I think he'd be a great addition, for Europe especially. Bags of experience and we do need to add numbers. I'd like to think we weren't going to Europe just for a jolly.
    Last time we went into Europe we went in short. Hopefully not something we’ll be doing this time around.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Will likely be a decision for the new Celtic Manager or CEO. I agree though, Celtic keeping Leigh on the same terms seems unlikely.

If he leaves, there's got to be a good chance he'll end up at Hibs.
    Huge job for new CEO and manager when they come in. Every chance Eduard will be sold leaving them with a huge void to fill up front. Griffiths no good to them anymore, he never seems to get a run of games meaning he never looks fit when he does play. A fit Griffiths with his head screwed on would be a massive advantage to us.

@hibs.net private member
    You’d think a Championship club would take a gamble on Leigh, no transfer fee and could easily pay double/triple what we could.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    LG wants to sign for us . This is from a very close mate of his 🤞
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

If he signs then obviously I hope he’s brilliant but I’m probably in the minority who would leave this one - I just think his best days are behind him and he’s not been fully fit for a long, long time.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Just ****ing do it Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    You’d think a Championship club would take a gamble on Leigh, no transfer fee and could easily pay double/triple what we could.

Problem with England is Leigh needs to be near his kids, it tore him up when he was at Wolves the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    I’m sure he’s love to sign for us if we offered the most money.
    I loved him when he was with us, he was an absolute joy to watch. He hasn’t done it in consistently in a Celtic shirt , with much better players around him, for a few seasons now. I’d rather we spent any money on another up and coming young striker such as Nisbet than taking a risk on a player nearing the end of his career with no sell on value.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Imagine this place if LG was available in a season we are I europe, wanted to sign for us but moved to Aberdeen instead!!

That would happen under Rod, but I'm hopeful it wont under Ron

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’m sure he’s love to sign for us if we offered the most money.
    I loved him when he was with us, he was an absolute joy to watch. He hasn’t done it in consistently in a Celtic shirt , with much better players around him, for a few seasons now. I’d rather we spent any money on another up and coming young striker such as Nisbet than taking a risk on a player nearing the end of his career with no sell on value.
    Griffiths has just short of a goal every 2 games in 254 appearances for Celtic. This has been whilst he’s been competing with (and arguably always second fiddle) to Dembele and Edouard.

Whilst he’s not been at his incredible best for a few seasons, he’s had an outstanding Celtic career and even in the last two seasons has scored 18 goals with I’d imagine most of his appearances being off the bench.

He’s managed 20 appearances so far this season under a manager who woefully mismanaged him/their whole team and threw him under the bus on a regular basis.

He’s scored a goal every 132 minutes this season. Edouard has a goal every 130, Morelos a goal every 170.

He’d still play plenty games for us I reckon and if he’s playing, he’s most likely scoring.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 08-04-2021 at 08:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d be pretty sure that the cost of signing Griffiths would be repaid through an increase in season ticket/match ticket revenue. Reading between the lines it would seem that Ron Gordon is more prepared to speculate to accumulate so he may well feel the same. Finishing 3rd and securing the European group stages may well be the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    JR did say he wanted a left sided striker!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What he actually said was he wanted somebody to play on the left and he wanted a striker as well.

It's really impossible to know if it's worth taking Leigh back without knowing what his wage demands are.

If it's £3.5k per week with a £500 goal bonus then it's probably a goer, if it's £6 or 7k per week with a £1k goal bonus then probably not.

I do trust Ross, Mathie and Gordon to ultimately make the best decision for the club though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'd be surprised if Leigh didn't want to stay and fight for a place at Celtc Park - he's likely to see reduced competition as there's almost guaranteed to be big money bids for Eduoard and El Yiounnousi from Premiership or European sides, and the incoming manager is likely to want the opportunity to assess the full squad at his disposal before players start to leave.

Though Scott Brown has apparently been a great support to Leigh over the years, so perhaps that's why this story has reared its head.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I’d be utterly ecstatic if he came home.

I’ve got a horrible feeling he’ll end up at Aberdeen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'd be surprised if Leigh didn't want to stay and fight for a place at Celtc Park - he's likely to see reduced competition as there's almost guaranteed to be big money bids for Eduoard and El Yiounnousi from Premiership or European sides, and the incoming manager is likely to want the opportunity to assess the full squad at his disposal before players start to leave.

Though Scott Brown has apparently been a great support to Leigh over the years, so perhaps that's why this story has reared its head.
    If his wage is halved at Celtic he would probably still be getting more than he could signing for us or Aberdeen. So obviously he would stay there.

Thing is if it's an optional year it'll be Celtic who trigger it and not Leigh, so he'll have no say if he wants to stay another year.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Thing is if it's an optional year it'll be Celtic who trigger it and not Leigh, so he'll have no say if he wants to stay another year.
    just like Wolves then...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Hopefully Garry O’Connor and Leigh aren’t close 😄
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    just like Wolves then...

Yep, Wolves triggered the extra year to make sure they got a decent fee for him, it's a good option to have especially for a club.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m assuming that if Celtic trigger the extra year it’ll be on the same financial terms as his current deal, if that is the case I can’t see Leigh being disappointed by that. However, I just can’t see any Celtic representative sanctioning a million pound in salary over the next year for a player to warm the bench, they’ll want that spent elsewhere, especially given the current financial circumstances.

He wont have the option to stay at Celtic if they dont take up the years option, so big decision for him either way.

Yep, Wolves triggered the extra year to make sure they got a decent fee for him, it's a good option to have especially for a club.
    whilst Celtic would be on the hook for 19k a week and not much chance of much, if any fee to move him on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Good option for a club who holds a player that clubs are looking to spend money on, I just can’t see this being the case here. If Celtic trigger the extra year Leigh will sit tight, fight for a place and pick up 3 or 4 times more than what he would anywhere else up here......and rightly so given his age and limited years left in football.