hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Olympics

Final late on Sunday night (i.e. 1.05am Monday morning). It'll be like Super Bowl Sunday all over again. 😀

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a bit more complicated than that, for the first five stones you can't knock them out if they're above the rings – that's why they play all those shots early on where they gently move the guards without knocking them right out. You can always aim to keep the ice clear and everything open, but it won't always be possible.
    Thanks for the explanation, I was tearing my hair out.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Final late on Sunday night (i.e. 1.05am Monday morning). It'll be like Super Bowl Sunday all over again. 😀
    No, it's 0105 on Sunday, not Monday morning.

Who's the half-time entertainment? Jimmy Shand?

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, I was tearing my hair out.
    Yeah it was arguably the lead player who won it in the extra end – she nailed those tick shots so it was easy(ish) for the others to keep taking stones out and keep the centre open.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    No, it's 0105 on Sunday, not Monday morning.
    You're right, thanks. Good job you corrected me otherwise I might have missed it. 😯 So it's up early tomorrow morning for the men's final at 6.50am and then stay up late to watch the women's. No chance am I not going to fall asleep in the middle of at least one of them. 😴

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Instead Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre, 50 Cent and Eminem. We'd have Yappy Dug, Dr Budge (also not a real doctor), 10 Bob and Highland Toffee.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    You're right, thanks. Good job you corrected me otherwise I might have missed it. 😯 So it's up early tomorrow morning for the men's final at 6.50am and then stay up late to watch the women's. No chance am I not going to fall asleep in the middle of at least one of them. 😴
    I stayed up till 5am once to watch a Mike Tyson fight. Fell asleep just before his ring walk and woke up just after it had finished. The days before sky plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    I stayed up till 5am once to watch a Mike Tyson fight. Fell asleep just before his ring walk and woke up just after it had finished. The days before sky plus.
    Did pretty much the exact same thing except for the waking up right after it finished. IIRC it was the 1st ever pay per view event in the UK.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i feel for his team mates who will now have to hand back those medals.. CJ Ujah: Great Britain lose Tokyo Olympics relay medal after doping violation - BBC Sport

Great Britain have been stripped of the silver medal won in the 4x100m relay at last summer's Tokyo Olympics after team member CJ Ujah was found to have committed a doping violation.
    The British team finished second to Italy by one-hundredth of a second.

Ujah tested positive for ostarine and S-23 after the event on 6 August.
    The 27-year-old says he "unknowingly consumed a contaminated substance" and the situation is one he "will regret for the rest of my life".

London-born Ujah added: "I would like to apologise to my team-mates, their families and support teams for the impact which this has had on them. I'm sorry that this situation has cost my team-mates the medals they worked so hard and so long for, and which they richly deserved.

Watching these skiing competitions where they do various tricks is entertaining for a while, but it’s impossible to understand what’s actually going on, it as like watching the skateboarding in the olympics. The comentaitors make a lot of noise but it’s not obvious whether it’s for good reasons or bad. As impressive as it is, it doesn’t make for great viewing in a competitive sense.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Watching these skiing competitions where they do various tricks is entertaining for a while, but it’s impossible to understand what’s actually going on, it as like watching the skateboarding in the olympics. The comentaitors make a lot of noise but it’s not obvious whether it’s for good reasons or bad. As impressive as it is, it doesn’t make for great viewing in a competitive sense.

I agree. I was watching the half-pipe and the commentators were flying out a random, "that's a seven/six" but with no explanation as to what that meant (if it was good or bad) or what was actually being scored.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i feel for his team mates who will now have to hand back those medals.. CJ Ujah: Great Britain lose Tokyo Olympics relay medal after doping violation - BBC Sport

Great Britain have been stripped of the silver medal won in the 4x100m relay at last summer's Tokyo Olympics after team member CJ Ujah was found to have committed a doping violation.
    The British team finished second to Italy by one-hundredth of a second.

Ujah tested positive for ostarine and S-23 after the event on 6 August.
    The 27-year-old says he "unknowingly consumed a contaminated substance" and the situation is one he "will regret for the rest of my life".

London-born Ujah added: "I would like to apologise to my team-mates, their families and support teams for the impact which this has had on them. I'm sorry that this situation has cost my team-mates the medals they worked so hard and so long for, and which they richly deserved.
    The old "unknowingly consumed a contaminated supplement" excuse. I don't believe it for a second.

If you read what one of his team mates said it's clear he's spun a story to them but they're not sure they believe him.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Sweden having a phenomenal first half of the curling final, leading GB 3-2 with a 95% success rate.

If this was football Sweden would be accused of parking the bus. Quite happy to blank ends and keep the hammer.

It's working well for them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Final end maybe, GB 4-3 down but have the hammer, can see it going to an 11th end.

Extra end as predicated. Advantage Sweden with the hammer.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 19-02-2022 at 08:40 AM.

All over, silver for GB

Enjoyed that. Really tense up until the final stone.

Swedes probably deserved it but nothing really between the teams.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Was a good watch interesting to see how tactical the game is. Thought the final uk shot was very high risk thought he could have tried a draw to go shot knocking the red stone out.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was lucky enough to watch it all week. They played great & were just against an inspired skip today. Happy that I wont have to listen to Steve Cram any more, if theres a less knowledgeable commentator out there Im yet to hear them.

The 4 man bobsleigh is a sight to behold, 80 odd miles an hour they’re going down that course.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I was lucky enough to watch it all week. They played great & were just against an inspired skip today. Happy that I wont have to listen to Steve Cram any more, if theres a less knowledgeable commentator out there Im yet to hear them.
    I think his knowledge of curling is decent (considering how far removed it is from his expertise), the big problem is the way he talks over the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was a good watch interesting to see how tactical the game is. Thought the final uk shot was very high risk thought he could have tried a draw to go shot knocking the red stone out.
    I think the previous red stone sitting just above prevented getting in with enough weight to tap the red out. And if that shot was on, then the yellow would probably end slightly further to the right than the red it replaced, so the Swede would have an easier version of the same shot.

6 points better off than we were after the 1st end in the semi.

Well done to Team Muirhead, great performance.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    GB side sitting 7th at the moment with W3 L3 need to win a couple i think as only top four go through

good luck to Hibby Gary Smith

Gary Smith.jpg