hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Taylor fight was superb. And Inoue is a different level. Always surprises me he isn't featured higher on the world lb for lb lists but I suppose the lighter weights do get unfairly overlooked.
    I've seen Inoue at 3 or 4 on a few P4P lists and deservedly so. He was sensational that night in Glasgow.

Another great Taylor night was v O'Hara Davis. Eddie Hearn getting the full treatment pre fight, Davis cocky as anything throughout the build up, decent travelling support and Taylor absolutely battered him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    5/6 nations rugby. The greatest annual international sporting event in the world. From the schoolboy enclosure when I was young to being at games in Murrayfield, Cardiff, Dublin and Rome as an adult it is still exciting, friendly, fun and an experience every time.
    Yeh I like it too. I enjoy the fact that while fans get right behind their team it's not got the 'must win' tension of football and the fans will mingle happily no matter the result. Never a hint of bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Wimbledon without any doubt whatsoever for me.

I still remember the first time I entered Centre Court and look around me at the Royal box etc and watched Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal in the flesh, I was like a child on Christmas morning (and I was in my 20s by this point!).
    I'd love to go. Massive Andy Murray fan so would have been incredible to be there to see him win it. Huge respect for Nadal and Federer too. Tennis is a great sport and the skill/stamina involved is underrated IMHO. Unfortunately Djokovic has soured my enjoyment of it to an extent. Compared to the aesthetic joy of watching Federer, the excitement of Nadal and the inventiveness of Murray I loathe his relentless automaton style which sucks the life/enjoyment out of a match and I eventually stopped watching games which involved him. Find his gamesmanship and faux sincerity a turn-off too and I remain unconvinced of his explanation for the transformation in his game.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Yeh I like it too. I enjoy the fact that while fans get right behind their team it's not got the 'must win' tension of football and the fans will mingle happily no matter the result. Never a hint of bother.
    I agree with that with one exception, Twickenham. I’ve travelled the world in my Kilt following Scotland at football as well as being a regular at every 6 Nations venue. Without doubt the most grief I’ve had for being Scottish and wearing a kilt is at Twickers (and I’ve been to Wembley for Scotland games umpteen times). The patronising, stuck up, posh twats that frequent that place are not top of my Christmas card list.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I agree with that with one exception, Twickenham. I’ve travelled the world in my Kilt following Scotland at football as well as being a regular at every 6 Nations venue. Without doubt the most grief I’ve had for being Scottish and wearing a kilt is at Twickers (and I’ve been to Wembley for Scotland games umpteen times). The patronising, stuck up, posh twats that frequent that place are not top of my Christmas card list.
    We were living in Twickenham when England won the Rugby World Cup. That night was a total nightmare though only slightly worse then a normal Twickers match day.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I'd love to go. Massive Andy Murray fan so would have been incredible to be there to see him win it. Huge respect for Nadal and Federer too. Tennis is a great sport and the skill/stamina involved is underrated IMHO. Unfortunately Djokovic has soured my enjoyment of it to an extent. Compared to the aesthetic joy of watching Federer, the excitement of Nadal and the inventiveness of Murray I loathe his relentless automaton style which sucks the life/enjoyment out of a match and I eventually stopped watching games which involved him. Find his gamesmanship and faux sincerity a turn-off too and I remain unconvinced of his explanation for the transformation in his game.
    I highly recommend it if you get the chance, it's a brilliant experience.

Been fortunate to have worked in a sector which afforded me shifts at some massive sporting events (Champions League Final, World Cup Opening Ceremony & Brazil v Scotland, Calcutta Cup games being the most ‘prestigious I suppose) but for me, going to The Crucible is at the top of my list. Made better that it was a Christmas present from my oldest son…was even better that expected.

Got to agree with this. His hippy dippy stuff has all the hallmarks of a Lance-cancer-survivor type thing going on. I'd love to go to some top level live tennis as well, but I think a US open night session would be the one to go for.

Back to the OP, probably the most memorable non-football event I've been at was the 1990 Calcutta Cup & Grand Slam decider.

The Masters

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

Got to agree with this. His hippy dippy stuff has all the hallmarks of a Lance-cancer-survivor type thing going on. I'd love to go to some top level live tennis as well, but I think a US open night session would be the one to go for.

Back to the OP, probably the most memorable non-football event I've been at was the 1990 Calcutta Cup & Grand Slam decider.
    I missed the 1990 Grand Slam game, choosing instead to head to Tannadice for Murdo MacLeod’s debut in the Scottish Cup. We lost 1-0 thanks to a shocker of an OG by Willie Miller. Should’ve went to the rugby 🤣. I was at the 84 grand slam win tho. That was pretty special.

I remain unconvinced of his explanation for the transformation in his game.
    He was literally struggling and spewing his way through some 3 set matches 1 year, and then winning grand slams the next. It's so obvious it's actually hilarious he's got away with it for so long.

I was at the Arthur v Gomez fight too, and as a few others have mentioned, the atmosphere was unlike anything I've witnessed since. It was incredible and even re-watching it on youtube etc just doesn't capture the electricity in the air that night.

I was at the last of the v10 era British GP and that will take some beating for noise and adrenaline. From memory it was just a few days after the London bombings, odd thing to say but there was a real party atmosphere, like we were all just happy to be at something we all loved after such a terrible event, it was such a fantastic atmosphere.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Champs Elysees for the final day of the Tour. Almost a religious experience.☺

In hindsight, a more important one was an Alpine stage earlier in the Tour, which I also saw. That was the one which Floyd Landis "won", and subsequently lost due to a positive drug test. That stage, and its consequences, was the catalyst for the whole Armstrong saga to unravel.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    He was literally struggling and spewing his way through some 3 set matches 1 year, and then winning grand slams the next. It's so obvious it's actually hilarious he's got away with it for so long.

I was at the Arthur v Gomez fight too, and as a few others have mentioned, the atmosphere was unlike anything I've witnessed since. It was incredible and even re-watching it on youtube etc just doesn't capture the electricity in the air that night.

I was at the last of the v10 era British GP and that will take some beating for noise and adrenaline. From memory it was just a few days after the London bombings, odd thing to say but there was a real party atmosphere, like we were all just happy to be at something we all loved after such a terrible event, it was such a fantastic atmosphere.

he had a bit of a dip a while back, just after sharapova got banned for illegal substances, I remember reading some speculation at the time that maybe he was using similar stuff, and had backed off of it as it was being very actively looked at/for by the authorities

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I highly recommend it if you get the chance, it's a brilliant experience.
    I was fortunate enough to be at this game.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/21/australian-open-rafael-nadal-alexander-zverev

Went late into the night. Was gutted for Zverev, deserved the win but just knackered by the end

On holiday in London 1966 my old dad got us tickets to the Gillette cricket final at Lords. We spent a couple of hours there before getting the tube to Spurs for the Arsenal derby. Left before the end, headed back to Lords for the last overs.
    You couldn't possibly do that now. The cost would be astronomical.