hibs.net Messageboard

Page 213 of 215 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215 LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,390 of 6434
    I know it upsets people but I just don't think Gullan is good enough right now. That's not to say he won't be good enough. Hopefully he rattles the goals in at the Rovers. Playing every week will help him massively. Credit to him for putting his pride to the side and going out on loan. If Oli Shaw had done that he may still have been here. I can fully understand the club wanting to do that as I think Premiership football off the bench is extremely difficult for the lad right now. Asking a lot of him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s always the usual suspects forgetting Dagnall
    I know it's only 5 years ago and I was probably at every game he played in but the only thing I remember about him is the chance he missed at the piggery in the League Cup semi v St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    All I know is we have won twice since Christmas. That is not the form of any side going to finish 4th.
    But no team is blitzing apart from Rangers. Livis run will stop soon.
    It’s a stop stutter from all the mid table teams. Anyone can beat anyone.
    So yeah we will finish 4th. Can’t see it being better unfortunately.

Are there any players available who are out of contract?
    Surely we need a striker with Gullah going on loan.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Dagnall
    Farid
    Malgona - left in January
    Handling

Tbh, we did have plenty then. In 2007, we only had 2 fit strikers for the second half of the season after Killens injury I think. Benji and Fletcher.
    Was Handling getting a game then? Wiki suggests not.

In which case, we weren't much better off from January 2016 than we are now. Farid only contributed 2 goals and Dagnall didn't score at all.

With Boyle being brought into the middle, we're not much different in terms of bodies who can score today than we were when we won the cup.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Vere View Post
    But no team is blitzing apart from Rangers. Livis run will stop soon.
    It’s a stop stutter from all the mid table teams. Anyone can beat anyone.
    So yeah we will finish 4th. Can’t see it being better unfortunately.
    I think Aberdeen are in for a horrible surprise with their signings yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Was Handling getting a game then? Wiki suggests not.

In which case, we weren't much better off from January 2016 than we are now. Farid only contributed 2 goals and Dagnall didn't score at all.

With Boyle being brought into the middle, we're not much different in terms of bodies who can score today than we were when we won the cup.
    Na, he had had a bad injury. Was on the bench in the league cup final ircc.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I think Dave knows him as Dagnall Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Was Hibs legend Dagnall a striker?
    Is it true Dagnal has more medals than Lavine.

I think Aberdeen are in for a horrible surprise with their signings yesterday.
    Hornby could score plenty if he gets the service. I'd have taken him - but he;d have only played if Doidge was injured for us.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Hornby could score plenty if he gets the service. I'd have taken him - but he;d have only played if Doidge was injured for us.
    Has he kicked a ball for a first team yet? I'd have liked to bring him in but not bothered we didn't.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I know it upsets people but I just don't think Gullan is good enough right now. That's not to say he won't be good enough. Hopefully he rattles the goals in at the Rovers. Playing every week will help him massively. Credit to him for putting his pride to the side and going out on loan. If Oli Shaw had done that he may still have been here. I can fully understand the club wanting to do that as I think Premiership football off the bench is extremely difficult for the lad right now. Asking a lot of him.
    He hasn't shown enough IMO, but getting 5-10 minutes here and there isn't enough.

I'm not unhappy with our business. Not blown away by it, but certainly not unhappy.

Irvine really looks the part. The midfield has continued to be a problem and we've looked much more competitive in there since he came in. Credit to Ross for making the Cadden signing happen. Boyle has been badly out of form all season and we've not offered enough down that side. Cadden's early performances have been very promising and we look much stronger on that flank, which is great.

Gullan going out on loan is good for him. he needs to be playing and he's not going to be doing enough of it at Hibs. His most recent cameos have promised a reasonable amount and I'm not convinced he offers much less than Murphy coming in off the left but Ross will be determined to get a tune out of Murphy and always pick him ahead of Gullan, which does the young lad no favours. He'll be playing in a decent team at a decent level, which is great for us and him.

Best signing of the window is Darren McGregor. He's brought everything we've been lacking in the past 2 games and must be considered a first pick for now.

I wouldn't have been against letting Nisbet go if the money had been good tbh. He's disappeared a bit in recent weeks and I don't think it's a coincidence we looked better without him in the team at the weekend. I also remain to be convinced that he'll bang in a whole load more goals between now and the summer, get into the Scotland squad and add to his value. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've just seen a bit too much "anonymous" from him lately for us to be turning down big cash if it comes.

As I look at it - no chance of 2nd or 3rd, might have a chance of hanging onto 4th. Unlikely to be a brilliant season that lives long in the memory but I don't see us tumbling down the league either. McGregor, Irvine and Cadden look like our best players though, so the window has to be considered a relative success.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'm not unhappy with our business. Not blown away by it, but certainly not unhappy.

Irvine really looks the part. The midfield has continued to be a problem and we've looked much more competitive in there since he came in. Credit to Ross for making the Cadden signing happen. Boyle has been badly out of form all season and we've not offered enough down that side. Cadden's early performances have been very promising and we look much stronger on that flank, which is great.

Gullan going out on loan is good for him. he needs to be playing and he's not going to be doing enough of it at Hibs. His most recent cameos have promised a reasonable amount and I'm not convinced he offers much less than Murphy coming in off the left but Ross will be determined to get a tune out of Murphy and always pick him ahead of Gullan, which does the young lad no favours. He'll be playing in a decent team at a decent level, which is great for us and him.

Best signing of the window is Darren McGregor. He's brought everything we've been lacking in the past 2 games and must be considered a first pick for now.

I wouldn't have been against letting Nisbet go if the money had been good tbh. He's disappeared a bit in recent weeks and I don't think it's a coincidence we looked better without him in the team at the weekend. I also remain to be convinced that he'll bang in a whole load more goals between now and the summer, get into the Scotland squad and add to his value. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've just seen a bit too much "anonymous" from him lately for us to be turning down big cash if it comes.

As I look at it - no chance of 2nd or 3rd, might have a chance of hanging onto 4th. Unlikely to be a brilliant season that lives long in the memory but I don't see us tumbling down the league either. McGregor, Irvine and Cadden look like our best players though, so the window has to be considered a relative success.
    Sorry but saying Boyle has been badly out of form this season and that we have no chance of third and might scrape 4th is mental. While Boyle has had his off days, he’s still be far and away one of our most productive players in terms of goals and assists. We are one point off third, we are 7 ahead of 5th. While we may or may not finish 3rd, you can’t say we have no chance of finishing there.

Looks like we are taking a wee bit of a gamble on the cup being cancelled, which is looking more likely every day. If we only have the 12 games then we should have enough options up front. I don't think we will see Boyle Doidge and Nisbet starting many games now that we have brought in Cadden. Him and Irvine are by far the best signings any club outside of the uglies will make up here in this window and the early signs look promising

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

All I know is we have won twice since Christmas. That is not the form of any side going to finish 4th.
    Alternatively, we've won two of our last three league games.

We've played the unbeaten league leaders twice since Christmas.

OK we had 2 poor league results (County and livi), but it's nowhere near as bad as you're making out.

Who was it that played up top in the Semi replay? Was it Kurtis Byrne? Definitely a youngster. Damon Gray instead of Fletcher 🤣🤣🤣
    Aye that was through choice an not necessity. Mental decision. I think we’d rested loads of players on the Saturday up at Aberdeen. Gray scored and ended up keeping his place.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Sorry but saying Boyle has been badly out of form this season and that we have no chance of third and might scrape 4th is mental. While Boyle has had his off days, he’s still be far and away one of our most productive players in terms of goals and assists. We are one point off third, we are 7 ahead of 5th. While we may or may not finish 3rd, you can’t say we have no chance of finishing there.
    Just my opinion.

Aberdeen have looked at the weakest part of their team and taken a whopping gamble to fix it. I reckon they'll be a good bit better now, certainly no worse.

I wouldn't even say Boyle has had had his off days - he's been poor with the odd bright performance. When did we last see him play well out wide? His pace looks to me like it has gone and since that was his main asset he doesn't look like he's got all that much about him any more. Good finish on Saturday mind, and I've been one of he few who actually quite likes him up front.

Cadden looks very much like an upgrade though.

Just my opinion.

Aberdeen have looked at the weakest part of their team and taken a whopping gamble to fix it. I reckon they'll be a good bit better now, certainly no worse.

I wouldn't even say Boyle has had had his off days - he's been poor with the odd bright performance. When did we last see him play well out wide? His pace looks to me like it has gone and since that was his main asset he doesn't look like he's got all that much about him any more. Good finish on Saturday mind, and I've been one of he few who actually quite likes him up front.

Cadden isn’t a winger, Boyle is. Completely different. You don’t hit the numbers Boyle has hit, and get the attention that he gets, while being poor. His pace certainly hadn’t deserted him for the winner on Saturday.

Whether you think we will finish third or not is one thing, saying we have no chance is utterly wrong. Aberdeen have got rid of their two best players and replaced them with relative unknowns. It may work, it may not.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Just my opinion.

Kamberi has scored 1 goal since he left Hibs, he has been recovering from a covid diagnosis in November though. Hornby has hardly played football, 3 games last year none this. Callum Hendry was behind Stevie May in St Johnstone team and scores roughly every 5 games for the Perth Saints. I cannot see how you think they are better than Cosgrove who while not in the best of form has banged in 20 goals in a season and Main who has scored goals for fun in this league.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Testimonial Due
    Cadden isn’t a winger, Boyle is. Completely different. You don’t hit the numbers Boyle has hit, and get the attention that he gets, while being poor. His pace certainly hadn’t deserted him for the winner on Saturday.

Whether you think we will finish third or not is one thing, saying we have no chance is utterly wrong. Aberdeen have got rid of their two best players and replaced them with relative unknowns. It may work, it may not.
    Cadden played wide right all game Saturday. Strong runner on the offensive who put lots if good balls into the box I think that is a winger.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Kamberi has scored 1 goal since he left Hibs, he has been recovering from a covid diagnosis in November though. Hornby has hardly played football, 3 games last year none this. Callum Hendry was behind Stevie May in St Johnstone team and scores roughly every 5 games for the Perth Saints. I cannot see how you think they are better than Cosgrove who while not in the best of form has banged in 20 goals in a season and Main who has scored goals for fun in this league.
    While I agree with almost all of the above I think you may be stretching it saying that Main scores for fun in this league

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    All of last years development team are
    Innes Murray Alloa
    Paddy Martin, Jayden Fairley and Scholesy at Stenhousemuir
    Fraser Murray Dunfermline
    Dino Leddie somewhere in Spain
    Josh Campbell Edin City
    Gallantes / Singapore I think

Think one or two maybe at lowland league clubs
    Billy I know you've watched our younger lads in their age group teams a fair bit over the years, so my question is, in your opinion are any of them ready to step into the first team.

For example is Josh O'Connor ready for the step up ?

GGTTH
    Last edited by Eaststand; 02-02-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Cadden might not hit the by line and cross much but Saturday showed us that he can go from box to box on the right and so might get some crosses in, just not from the by line. That leaves Paul McGinn to look after his defensive duties. I can see a lot more switching in positions going on during matches over the last twelve or so games. We witnessed more of that last Saturday than I've been aware of this season. Boyle going from wide to center to wide, Hanlon from centre to Left and same for Doig Left to Centre, and there were other switches too. All of that should make life more difficult for the opposition going forward. Will Boyle take on left backs and cross or will he be looking for a channel through the centre to run in to and on to, is only one of the questions defences will be asking themselves. Who will run at them on the right, McGinn, Boyle or Cadden is another. There will be many more problems for the opposition to deal with and answer in coming matches which will make viewing for us very interesting. I haven't even started to think about where Newell, Allan, Murphy and Irvine could pop up, so all in all I think we could be a bit of a handful now.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Cadden played wide right all game Saturday. Strong runner on the offensive who put lots if good balls into the box I think that is a winger.
    He played as a right wing back on Saturday, he can play right back, right midfield or right of a three in the middle, he isn’t a winger and never has been. Boyle is a winger.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    As I said though, they've taken a gamble.

What they were doing wasn't working. Cosgrove's good form isn't present tense, it was a wee while ago and he was out of sorts.

To me it sounds a bit like when we bombed out Stokes and Murray to bring in Kamberi and McLaren. Stokes and Murray weren't even doing all that badly, certainly not when compared to Cosgrove and Main this season.

Kamberi I'm not a fan of but he can play when he's in the mood. Hornby looks decent for Scotland under 21s. Hendry I don't know much about but he seems to be reasonably highly rated.

I just think that taking something that's not working and replacing it with something that might work is a gamble worth taking and I expect them to improve.

@hibs.net private member
    He played as a right wing back on Saturday, he can play right back, right midfield or right of a three in the middle, he isn’t a winger and never has been. Boyle is a winger.
    Isn’t RWB not just a modern option for a winger when playing with width? not many wingers would get to play without having to help out their full back or tracking back these days ?

I agree with everything Smartie says masel, especially Boyle and scraping 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Isn’t RWB not just a modern option for a winger when playing with width? not many wingers would get to play without having to help out their full back or tracking back these days ?
    Boyle has been playing on the right of a front three recently (until Saturday), a position Cadden wouldn’t play, an out and out winger. Majority of top sides play with a central striker and two wingers who do very little tracking back or defensive work.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Depends what constitutes your definition of a winger. Cadden has played wide for the majority of his career including playing a wide right position for Motherwell. Don't think his role or play was significantly different to how Boyle would play in that position