hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All joking aside, do we need another legal drug?

Would that not be the start of other drugs being legal, do we really need more of these drugs freely available, should we not be trying to reduce the intake of all drugs, legal and illegal?
    I think the point is that locking people up or even just giving them a criminal record for minor drug offences is counter productive. It tends to send folk on a downward spiral - likely leading to more drug use rather than less.

2. Log in to remove the advert

String ‘em all up I say.

Left by mutual consent!
    There is a major prize for the first person to mention drug dealers on street corners. Honestly some of the views on here are straight out of Reefer Madness, or the Man With the Golden Arm.

What.Harm.Did.The.Lad.Do?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This is for me the reason we have so many druggies running around the place, its not so bad, its just a spliff.

Any drug takers should get 10 years even for this, 2nd offenders should have their hands cut off and given life.

Folk will now say drink causes more damage, well that's not really fair because i like a drink.

Tell it how it is!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    Alcohol related deaths, disease and social breakdown is the scourge of Scotland and dwarfs any statistics related to cannabis use, but that does not equate to there being no sinister/damaging repercussions or consequences of illegal drug use.
    I never said it did.

I said alcohol had the same repercussions and consequences.

Quite probably more.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...fences-1393137

Tested positive for cannabis therefore has been banned from all sport for 2 years.

Harsh imo, not as if it's a performance enhancer, I understand footballers need to be held to certain standards but it's only a bit green ffs, a lesser punishment would of been more suitable.

Drug laws in this country need looked at.
    No sympathy, he knew the risk and took his chance. Just maybe others will think twice.

Rediculous punishment. Career ending ban for smoking a joint. Deary me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    String ‘em all up I say.
    Or string 'em all out, whatever floats her boat.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    No. If they did, cannabis would hardly warrant the same punishment as coke, would it? They base it on legality.

I'll say it again, nobody was saying that Conner didn't take a risk, he clearly knew he could get caught out by it. He misjudged the likelyhood of it and he'll be living with that until March 2021.

Nobody in good health 'needs' to use pillows, but if it brings them comfort, relief to certain mental or physical issues or generally makes life more enjoyable without harming others, there's no issue, is there? Having a purely legalistic approach to morality is a very dangerous game IMO.

You've said he's got no sympathy from you, we get it, a staunch defender of regressive drug policy.
    "They base it on legality."
    The WADA committee that reviews and updates the list of prohibited substances is made up of eminent sport scientists, medics and pharmacists from all around the world of sport and they discuss this just about every year. They are spliffed...I mean split on cannabis, but the majority favour it remaining banned. But maybe they'll take note of the hibs.net view next time.
    "He misjudged the likelyhood of it"
    If he is dependent I would dare to suggest that he didn't misjudge anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    "They base it on legality."
    The WADA committee that reviews and updates the list of prohibited substances is made up of eminent sport scientists, medics and pharmacists from all around the world of sport and they discuss this just about every year. They are spliffed...I mean split on cannabis, but the majority favour it remaining banned. But maybe they'll take note of the hibs.net view next time.
    "He misjudged the likelyhood of it"
    If he is dependent I would dare to suggest that he didn't misjudge anything.
    It's UKAD for our sport, isn't? Either way, the point was that clearly having a blanketed punishment for cannabis and cocaine is skewered by their respective legality in the UK, not the social or physiological impact of the two drugs, else the punishment wouldn't be the same.

As for Conner's own relationship with weed, that's for you to speculate, I'm personally not that interested.

It's UKAD for our sport, isn't? Either way, the point was that clearly having a blanketed punishment for cannabis and cocaine is skewered by their respective legality in the UK, not the social or physiological impact of the two drugs, else the punishment wouldn't be the same.

As for Conner's own relationship with weed, that's for you to speculate, I'm personally not that interested.
    WADA List and Code applies globally. UKAD just enforce it.
    For others to say “they” don’t know what they are doing or have not considered all there is to consider about cannabis use by sportsmen/women just demonstrates immense ignorance.
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 11-02-2020 at 08:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    A stupidly disproportionate punishment for a completely benign offence. Absolutely absurd.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    The law doesn't need to be looked at, because it's illegal? That makes absolutely zero sense.

When something which is less damaging to a person's health than alcohol, cigarettes, sugar and red meat is illegal, there's clearly questions to be asked.

Passively accepting something as righteously true just because it's currently enshrined in law would have us still living in a country where only landlords could vote.

The guy has fallen victim to a deeply unfair element of our justice system. 2 year ban is unbelievably harsh.

Personally I’d end all prohibition, but cannabis being illegal is preposterous. Even America is realising this - why can’t we?

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Ridiculously harsh. It is hardly 'performance enhancing' and not like what Garry O was getting up to. Silly but the punishment doesn't fit the crime here.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    WADA List and Code applies globally. UKAD just enforce it.
    For others to say “they” don’t know what they are doing or have not considered all there is to consider about cannabis use by sportsmen/women just demonstrates immense ignorance.
    So a two year ban for cannabis, equivalent to class A drugs, is a scientifically measured punishment and everybody else should just shut up and accept that? Now believing that would be immense ignorance.

WADA create the list of prohibited substances and it's not exactly consistent what national enforcement agencies do to punish it. A two year banning order for cannabinoids is seriously disproportionate. It's about safeguarding athletes and maintaining fair competition, so why aren't alcohol and tobacco on their list? Legality.

Nobody said 'they don't know what they're doing,' folk are well within their right to disagree with the listing of a highly debated banned substance.

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    Anybody got any zig zags?

@hibs.net private member
    Harsh.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Harsh.
    Think it was hash mate.

So a two year ban for cannabis, equivalent to class A drugs, is a scientifically measured punishment and everybody else should just shut up and accept that? Now believing that would be immense ignorance.

WADA create the list of prohibited substances and it's not exactly consistent what national enforcement agencies do to punish it. A two year banning order for cannabinoids is seriously disproportionate. It's about safeguarding athletes and maintaining fair competition, so why aren't alcohol and tobacco on their list? Legality.

Nobody said 'they don't know what they're doing,' folk are well within their right to disagree with the listing of a highly debated banned substance.
    Granted, those who decide what should be prohibited, and how these are categorised, are not the same folk who decide what the sanctions should be. It is not a "scientifically measured punishment". What is? But neither has it anything to do with the legality of cannabis in different countries.
    I actually agree that two years is harsh for cannabis use (as do some on the List committee) but it's a two-year starting point which can be reduced if a player/athlete can demonstrate "no significant fault" - down to as little as a reprimand. Clearly the judges in this case, who have had all the facts of the case before them (assuming Duthie was full and honest with his evidence), decided there was significant fault. That being the case, their hands are tied by the globally accepted and consistent sanctions applied by the WADA Code. That consistency safeguards athletes across the sporting world and ensures a level playing field for all across all sports and all nations. This is the cornerstone of the WADA Code. There is no going back to a free-for-all where some countries take a more lenient attitude to drugs in sport, including drugs which have different legal status country to country. BUt he did get some leniency in recognition of him admitting his offence. This allowed his two-year sanction to be backdated to the date the sample was collected rather than the date he was charged, so effectively a two-month reduction. Paul Daniels might have something to say about that.

For others, drop the non-performance enhancing aspect of cannabis in this case. It is irrelevant to this case (no mention in the judgement) and echo echo echo there are other criteria for its inclusion on the banned list.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Awwwwww mon now

Alcohol and tobacco are both drugs that kill thousands up and down this country every year, both are completely legal and readily available from shops.

Cannabis has never killed anyone. Yet is illegal in this country.

Had Conner been caught drunk smoking a 20 deck of L&B, he might of got the sack but he wouldn't of been banned.

Regardless of your personal opinion on recreational drug use, you can't seriously tell me that's not ridiculous.
    Cannabis was almost certainly a factor in the psychosis of the terrorist who killed Lee Rigby. I'm playing devil's advocate, as I tend to agree with your wider points, otherwise.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No sympathy, he knew the risk and took his chance. Just maybe others will think twice.
    It may well be my age, but I can't understand why young athletes do this. They know that drugs, drink, parties etc. won't help them - why don't they put 100% into being the best footballer they can be?

Every club must have teams of people telling them how to maximise their chances of making it - but I guess when you're 16 - 20 you just don't want to hear it.

Or you follow the drinking squad - or Finn Russell etc.

But there's guys in my running club who won't drink for 6 months before their big race - and they're just normal guys who work in an office, with none of the help that a footballer gets.

It's probably my age. Just say no.

Bans just right, too many folk especially youngsters think they can get away with anything nowadays. Deserves everything he gets. Fed up hearin hes young, the bans too long, its about time kids in Scotland realise you need to work hard to make it. Nae pity for him or others, and aye its not performance enhancing, but either is alcohol.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    It may well be my age, but I can't understand why young athletes do this. They know that drugs, drink, parties etc. won't help them - why don't they put 100% into being the best footballer they can be?

Every club must have teams of people telling them how to maximise their chances of making it - but I guess when you're 16 - 20 you just don't want to hear it.

Or you follow the drinking squad - or Finn Russell etc.

But there's guys in my running club who won't drink for 6 months before their big race - and they're just normal guys who work in an office, with none of the help that a footballer gets.

It's probably my age. Just say no.
    They dont sound very normal to me, in fact they sound obsessive and really need a bit more balance in their lives.

I'm genuinely curious what possible harm can alcohol do to the body six months before a race? Sounds a bit like an ego trip to me.

Alcohol is far far worse for you.

I find people over the age of around 50 very hypocritical when it comes to their ignorance around how bad alcohol is , to themselves and society , but at the same time think every drug is the devil.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Alcohol is far far worse for you.

I find people over the age of around 50 very hypocritical when it comes to their ignorance around how bad alcohol is , to themselves and society , but at the same time think every drug is the devil.
    No rash generalisations there then...
    Last edited by Peevemor; 12-02-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    No rash generalisations thee then...
    Just my experience in general.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    You do know that recreational drugs were in use before the millennium?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    They dont sound very normal to me, in fact they sound obsessive and really need a bit more balance in their lives.

I'm genuinely curious what possible harm can alcohol do to the body six months before a race? Sounds a bit like an ego trip to me.
    The improvements they’d make whilst training would be massively negated by drinking while training. It’s not so much a direct impact on race day, but an impact on how much the 6 months of training will benefit them.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think you need to talk to more people then.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The improvements they’d make whilst training would be massively negated by drinking while training. It’s not so much a direct impact on race day, but an impact on how much the 6 months of training will benefit them.
    Is there scientific evidence to back this up? I only ask because I work with a guy who cannot go more than four hours without doing a training run. He strikes me as a bit of a fruit loop to be honest, and has the same issues I see in people with other addictions.