hibs.net Messageboard

Page 67 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2506
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mind TGI. The glazed chicken strip things are good.

You know what you're getting and you pay in line with that I think. It's a place that's a little better and a little more expensive than Wetherspoons and others of a similar ilk, and cheaper/worse than other places.

Individual stories about food not arriving etc aside obviously, they're just unfortunate instances.
    I quite like it for the kids.

Fort Kinnaird is 2 minutes from mine so if we fancy eating out TGIs, Bread Meets Bread, Tony Macaroni etc are all ideal to take the bairns too. If they are playing up a wee bit (which happens) then no one really minds as it's all families or groups of young people.

It's one of those things where you almost can't win. Not really related to the original review of TGIs (which I broadly agree with, if it was just me I'd not actively choose to go there). If you take kids somewhere a bit higher end people moan about it if they are a bit loud or unsettled in spells, if you take them somewhere like TGIs the same people sneer and look down their noses at you.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I don't mind TGI. The glazed chicken strip things are good.

You know what you're getting and you pay in line with that I think. It's a place that's a little better and a little more expensive than Wetherspoons and others of a similar ilk, and cheaper/worse than other places.

Individual stories about food not arriving etc aside obviously, they're just unfortunate instances.
    Is it not really expensive all things considered?

I was in London the other week and went to Bancone and El Pastor. Both are on the Michelin Guide and both were exceptional. Mains in both were £14 and £17 respectively.

I’ve not been to TGI’s in about a decade, but I’d be surprised if you’d get anything all that much cheaper than that.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Is it not really expensive all things considered?

I was in London the other week and went to Bancone and El Pastor. Both are on the Michelin Guide and both were exceptional. Mains in both were £14 and £17 respectively.

I’ve not been to TGI’s in about a decade, but I’d be surprised if you’d get anything all that much cheaper than that.
    I think £14-17 for an exceptional main is an exception and shows those places to be good value as opposed to anything about TGIs. I'll remember those for next time I'm in London.

I would have thought you'd be about £15-20 for a main at TGI but I'm not sure. I would imagine that would also be a more substantial meal than some fancier places.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    I think £14-17 for an exceptional main is an exception and shows those places to be good value as opposed to anything about TGIs. I'll remember those for next time I'm in London.

I would have thought you'd be about £15-20 for a main at TGI but I'm not sure. I would imagine that would also be a more substantial meal than some fancier places.
    Yeah fair point.

Would highly recommend both if you’re ever in London

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    😂😂😂😂
    Brightened up my day Hutchy

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Brilliant. There's a lot to be said for waiting staff who just take your order, deliver the food and keep their traps shut.
    Unfortunately, lots of folk have been led to believe they deserve the sort of performance as above. Holidays in Disney world are to blame in my opinion. Enjoy!

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Going into Edinburgh with the missus on 2nd July and looking for recommendations for a decent place for a scran around about 1/2pm. So it’s not a big evening meal or suchlike, mainly just a good scran of several small plates to set us up for a day’s shopping and drinks.

Not fussed on the type of cuisine, anything except seafood.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Going into Edinburgh with the missus on 2nd July and looking for recommendations for a decent place for a scran around about 1/2pm. So it’s not a big evening meal or suchlike, mainly just a good scran of several small plates to set us up for a day’s shopping and drinks.

Not fussed on the type of cuisine, anything except seafood.
    Might be a bit out the way but Neighbourgood Streetfood Market going on in Stockbridge until mid July. Variety of different food stalls with bars and bench seating, decent if weather is good!

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best...drink-24003832

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Looking for some recommendations (or maybe confirmations, as I've been doing a bit of research myself).

My wife and I are spending our wedding anniversary in Edinburgh in October. We're going to the Kitchin on the Friday, and I'm looking for a Middle-Eastern style restaurant for the Saturday - so far I'm between Hanam's, Pomegranate and Toranj - anyone visited any of these three and would have an opinion on them? Or recommend something else in the same theme?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Looking for some recommendations (or maybe confirmations, as I've been doing a bit of research myself).

My wife and I are spending our wedding anniversary in Edinburgh in October. We're going to the Kitchin on the Friday, and I'm looking for a Middle-Eastern style restaurant for the Saturday - so far I'm between Hanam's, Pomegranate and Toranj - anyone visited any of these three and would have an opinion on them? Or recommend something else in the same theme?
    My favourite middle Eastern is Hanedan on E Preston Street. Although I've not tried Toranj, and it does look quite nice!

Might be too far out the way though - alternatively it's a good option to then try some of the bars in a different place to the usual areas for you. It's maybe not as contemporary as some of the places you've listed though if you're looking for good aesthetics for your wedding anniversary!
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    My favourite middle Eastern is Hanedan on E Preston Street. Although I've not tried Toranj, and it does look quite nice!

Might be too far out the way though - alternatively it's a good option to then try some of the bars in a different place to the usual areas for you. It's maybe not as contemporary as some of the places you've listed though if you're looking for good aesthetics for your wedding anniversary!
    The main factors are decent, near-authentic food and a bonus would be decent shisha - aesthetics aren't hugely important as we'll get that in spades the night before! Hanedan might actually be perfect as we're doing a couple of escape rooms up on North Bridge (Nicolson Sq Gardens then Summerhall). I'll check it out, cheers
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

The main factors are decent, near-authentic food and a bonus would be decent shisha - aesthetics aren't hugely important as we'll get that in spades the night before! Hanedan might actually be perfect as we're doing a couple of escape rooms up on North Bridge (Nicolson Sq Gardens then Summerhall). I'll check it out, cheers
    I think it was summerhall where I done a pandemic themed escape room back in 2018/19! Clearly I'm not very good at stopping them even after the training...

If you do end up that way then The Abbey is decent for a whisky, No1 The Grange is a bit of an up-market bar(further out the way), and The Salisbury Arms is another very nice bar option (again, further out of town though).

Enjoy your weekend!
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

As long as you don’t mind heading back down The Kitchin way, I’d highly recommend Kezban on Commercial Street. That’s my go-to Middle Eastern restaurant.

Try Beirut in Nicholson St Square if still there. Not been for a while but food was amazing. BYOB too.

Had great food in Magnum at the corner of Albany St and Dublin Street.
    Nice place, good service great food.

Not too pricey.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Might be a bit out the way but Neighbourgood Streetfood Market going on in Stockbridge until mid July. Variety of different food stalls with bars and bench seating, decent if weather is good!

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best...drink-24003832

Was down there yesterday. I felt it was a bit disappointing. I was hoping they would have a decent few bars set up however they only had 1 beer bar, Innes and Gunn which is ok but tough titties if you are not a fan of it as that’s all there was.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Was down there yesterday. I felt it was a bit disappointing. I was hoping they would have a decent few bars set up however they only had 1 beer bar, Innes and Gunn which is ok but tough titties if you are not a fan of it as that’s all there was.
    That is dissapointing mate, the plots must vary as when I went they had a draft Cider bar , a wine bar, a prosseco bar and a rum cocktail bar in addition to Innis Gunn. Did you get any food?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    That is dissapointing mate, the plots must vary as when I went they had a draft Cider bar , a wine bar, a prosseco bar and a rum cocktail bar in addition to Innis Gunn. Did you get any food?
    There is a cider bar too. I was there on Thursday. Think it was £5.60 a pint and £8.60 for a nine inch pizza. Pizza was decent..if on the expensive side.

I love Hanam’s. You can also go outside for a shisha (not a euphemism)overlooking Victoria Street, which is always a romantic setting for the anniversary thing.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Managed to get a table at Fazenda for Saturday for 4.30. Haven’t been before so looking forward to it.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Managed to get a table at Fazenda for Saturday for 4.30. Haven’t been before so looking forward to it.
    Take your time and pace yourself. I've only been once, my eyes were bigger than my belly and I took a cut of every meat that passed. I was stuffed very quickly and don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have if I wasn't so greedy.
    Also, when I went, during one of the many breaks in COVID, they had removed their Market Table, basically where all the sides/salads were found. Instead, they had a little menu that you ordered from and the waiting staff brought the sides to you. These are fully inclusive so order as many as you want, I was a bit shy in doing so and there was some cracking options that I felt I missed out on.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Take your time and pace yourself. I've only been once, my eyes were bigger than my belly and I took a cut of every meat that passed. I was stuffed very quickly and don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have if I wasn't so greedy.
    Also, when I went, during one of the many breaks in COVID, they had removed their Market Table, basically where all the sides/salads were found. Instead, they had a little menu that you ordered from and the waiting staff brought the sides to you. These are fully inclusive so order as many as you want, I was a bit shy in doing so and there was some cracking options that I felt I missed out on.
    The salad bar in that place is incredible! I tried the chicken heart when they brought it around. Was a wee bit chewy!! All the meats delicious though but as speedy says dont go too bonkers!!

About a mile past North Berwick there's a cafe near Tantallon castle called Drift, perched on a cliff, made out of glammed up shipping containers with lot of glass windows so you can see the seabirds swooping about outside.

The food was great, new chef apparently. I had the brunch all day Scottish breakfast with duck egg and their own home made baked beans, genuinely excellent, the wife had a Cod dish from the lunch menu, with drinks etc it was less than £35. Really memorable place and we'll be back, definitely worth booking on their website because it was busy even at 2pm on a Monday.

Chop House at Brunsfield. Bit slow bring the food but it was top notch Not cheap though!

We went to Tapas3 on Howden Street last week.

Really enjoyed it. Service was good, was busy and the restaurant is small but we felt neither crowded nor rushed. Food was very good.

6 tapas, bread, 2 deserts, bottle of wine and a service charge for just shy of £80. Can't argue too much with that.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Going to Karen’s Unicorn tonight, heard good things so hopefully it meets expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Chop House at Brunsfield. Bit slow bring the food but it was top notch Not cheap though!
    Decent restaurants are not cheap, nor are some bad ones. They're clawing back the money lost during lockdown. They need to survive.

It's at the stage when we only go out for a meal on special occasions.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    I went to chop house in leith a few weeks back.

Think everyone in there had an absolute disaster apart from my table. Felt sorry for the staff who done everything they could but they were woefully understaffed with folk just not even turning up for shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I went to chop house in leith a few weeks back.

Think everyone in there had an absolute disaster apart from my table. Felt sorry for the staff who done everything they could but they were woefully understaffed with folk just not even turning up for shifts.
    We tried Contini a few weeks ago, ended up walking out after having to ask several times for a menu and to order drinks. Nothing against the staff as they were all over the place but the annoying thing was they were still letting walk in come in even though they couldn’t look after the people already there.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Going to Karen’s Unicorn tonight, heard good things so hopefully it meets expectations.
    Is that Newington mate ? I remember Karens at Meadowbank many years ago and the food never failed, always good reviews. I think they closed and opened up at Newington with same name but Im sure the Mother (Karen) was retiring and her Daughter Karen went alone. Always wanted to visit the Newington place but never got round to it