hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paul Hanlon

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's never been anybody on here who's been at the extreme end of saying he's an absolutely outstanding player who should be a Scotland regular. Ever.

There's been plenty of us who've said he's an excellent SPL standard centre half, who last season was deservedly called up for Scotland, and who wouldn't be easy to replace. That's far more balanced than the folk who couldn't spot a footballer in a million years who say he's *****, he's soft and he's "never captain material".
    He was maybe a bit unlucky earlier in his career re Scotland in that he was playing in a poor Hibs side (in the years leading up to our relegation and then in the Championship) when a player will be at the age to get that make or break opportunity. Sadly I don't think we should be giving out opportunities to 30 somethings if there are younger players available, but I don't doubt he'd do well if we were struggling for a player in his position.

I've always been a fan of Hanlon, I think he's a superb player. Funnily enough - people talking about spells of poor form - prior to the game on Sunday, he's probably had as wobbly a month and a bit as I've ever seen him have for us. I've always thought he's been incredibly consistent, the odd poor 45 minutes thrown in here or there and a very occasional mistake but he sets a very high bar for a centre half.

He's definitely better in a 3 for me as well, and will sometimes look better or worse depending on who he's got playing around him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Great win at the weekend yet there are still some who will bring the place down with their negativity, still surprised they've not been booted by admin yet.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    So Bonucci and Chiellini wouldn't fit in our dressing room then?
    I have no idea, but what point are you trying to make regarding Paul Hanlon? Or are you just arguing to "get one up"?

Paul's a fine player and a well respected Captain. He doesn't have to scream and gesticulate to earn that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Fans are understandably arguing with posts they disagree with. They're not trying to "get one up".

If people continue to post stuff which is critical of Hibs players or the club, they should know that they will find disagreement.

Some people deliberately post negatives purely to wind others up. That's trolling and is rightly attacked.

Individuals who continue to repeat the same criticisms time and time again are also trolling, deliberately or not.

To paraphrase David Byrne, "Say something negative once, why say it again and again and again and again?"
    "Say something once, why say it again?"
    But the guy is a Psycho Killer from Dumbarton so he would say that.

For the poster who mentioned Chiellini. Paul Hanlon will be a better player than the big guy by the summer if he's not already.

Paul Hanlon thinks his way through a game that's why he has not been sent off for over a decade.
    He is measured and controlled. There is even a chance Saturdays foul at the start of the game was deliberate on Rangers best player.
    A certain yellow but never a red and I was confident he wouldn't get another yellow during the game.
    If Porteous had Hanlons brain and mental control he would be some player.

Blog Entries
    So who is right? The fan having watched 500 games forming an opinion who may be overly critical or the fan who has a go at a fellow fan after that player has 1 good game?
    1 good game, out of over 500, really?

So Bonucci and Chiellini wouldn't fit in our dressing room then?
    Bonucci has had multiple fall outs with managers and teammates, most famously at half time in the CL final which resulted in him being sold to AC Milan. Not a great example.

So who is right? The fan having watched 500 games forming an opinion who may be overly critical or the fan who has a go at a fellow fan after that player has 1 good game?
    Not saying you have to like him but to imply Sunday was his 1st good game is trolling.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    "Say something once, why say it again?"
    But the guy is a Psycho Killer from Dumbarton so he would say that.

For the poster who mentioned Chiellini. Paul Hanlon will be a better player than the big guy by the summer if he's not already.

Paul Hanlon thinks his way through a game that's why he has not been sent off for over a decade.
    He is measured and controlled. There is even a chance Saturdays foul at the start of the game was deliberate on Rangers best player.
    A certain yellow but never a red and I was confident he wouldn't get another yellow during the game.
    If Porteous had Hanlons brain and mental control he would be some player.
    Don’t think Porteous even picked up a booking on Sunday, did he?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Don’t think Porteous even picked up a booking on Sunday, did he?
    Yeah, but he is suspended again tomorrow