hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: S Clarke

So the next two games are must win to be one of the seeded teams. Rather it was like that, will Denmark play a weakened side against Scotland?
    We need to be beating the likes of Denmark to go into the play offs on a high.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the next two games are must win to be one of the seeded teams. Rather it was like that, will Denmark play a weakened side against Scotland?
    Any win against Denmark would likely see us seeded, ironically even if we failed to beat Moldova.

A win against Moldova and a draw v Denmark would probably send us into the seeded places as well.

A win against Moldova and a loss against Denmark and it's going to be hard to be seeded.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 14-10-2021 at 08:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Doubt it. They'll likely be going for 100% with no goals conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Doubt it. They'll likely be going for 100% with no goals conceded.
    Not sure it’ll really bother them that much - a ‘nice to have’ but their club sides will be in their ear knowing they have a busy 6/7 weeks after it.

*unless it can impact their seeding for the World Cup of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Not sure it’ll really bother them that much - a ‘nice to have’ but their club sides will be in their ear knowing they have a busy 6/7 weeks after it.

*unless it can impact their seeding for the World Cup of course.
    I think they'll be second seeds for the World Cup no matter what.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Any win against Denmark would likely see us seeded, ironically even if we failed to beat Moldova.

A win against Moldova and a draw v Denmark would probably send us into the seeded places as well.

A win against Moldova and a loss against Denmark and it's going to be hard to be seeded.
    Does a win v Moldova not guarantee us being seeded irrespective of how we fare v Denmark?

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Does a win v Moldova not guarantee us being seeded irrespective of how we fare v Denmark?
    Given the current points of the other 2nd placed teams that was my understanding

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    No. Results against 6th place doesn't count in the playoff seeding calculations.

Assuming Moldova stay bottom results against them are scrubbed for the purposes of calculating the seedings for the play offs.

What a fantastic job Stevie Clarke has done in turning around Scotland from being a team humiliated by the team that were ranked 117 in the World two and a half years ago to now beating the team ranked 10th in the World and beaten semi-finalists at the recent Euro Championships.

Kazakhstan 3-0 Scotland: Alex McLeish's side humiliated in Euro 2020 opener - BBC Sport

Say what you want about Stevie Clarke, but he knows how to build teams, which is exactly what he's doing with Scotland. The recipe is always the same, make his teams hard to beat, then from a strong defensive unit, make us a team that can compete with the best in the World. He did it with Kilmarnock, in the Scottish League environment, and he's doing it at Scotland at International level.

This is the first time in many a year that I watch Scotland and think "we can do this". I just hope now that we continue to grow and be competitive in the Playoffs.

Got to be honest, I didn’t see it coming.

I thought he got things wrong at the Euros and it was a poor start to this campaign.

But to only drop seven points in an entire campaign is unbelievable for us. Would qualify with that number of points more often than not I’d imagine.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    i'm love steven's clark

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    No matter what the score is tonight he has to go, absolutely hopeless, we need a manager who can inspire us and sadly that is not paw broon
    I expected this post to be from like September 2019 when I read it, not last month

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    I expected this post to be from like September 2019 when I read it, not last month
    Was just thinking the exact same! A double take looking at the date

Ross ou.. I mean Clarke.. Steve Kean out!

I think this thread reflects the short termism of a lot of football fans, arguably a majority.

6 wins a row and a guy who was a dead man walking is verging on national treasure. Contrast that to JR who with 4 defeats in a row has a fairly sizable minority piling pressure on him.

I would argue it shows why you need strong leadership, people who believe in a plan and make decisions based on a bigger picture. It means we can keep being fans and swing wildly based on the emotive nature of football.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think this thread reflects the short termism of a lot of football fans, arguably a majority.

6 wins a row and a guy who was a dead man walking is verging on national treasure. Contrast that to JR who with 4 defeats in a row has a fairly sizable minority piling pressure on him.

I would argue it shows why you need strong leadership, people who believe in a plan and make decisions based on a bigger picture. It means we can keep being fans and swing wildly based on the emotive nature of football.
    Well put

I think it depends how much credit these guys put in the bank when times are good.

Going forward, most (not all) fans will likely remember how it felt to quality for the first tournament in yonks, how it felt to win 6 on the bounce, how it felt to beat a team like Denmark and finally get a bit of feel good going again. He's actually quite a pragmatic manager but I don't think Scotland fans mind that so much when international football is very very much a results business.

Did Jack Ross put enough in the bank when times were good? No, I don't think he did. A decent number of narrow wins over weak SPFL teams wasn't enough when it came to blowing big opportunities in the cups and now that our form and results have dropped off a cliff, the knives are out.

There has always just been a feeling of unease between the fans at Hibs and Jack Ross. I don't know what he needs to do to win folk over. Win a few big games would help, starting on Sunday would be lovely. Another decent league finish would help his cause. Getting the injured players back and starting to show more of the form we showed in flashes early this season.

As long as we're playing poorly and losing, he's on a hiding to nothing though.

There's always a lunatic fringe amongst football fans who are very vocal, positive and negative. Whilst I think we all sway to an extent, for most people it only happens on a minor scale.

Steve Clarke has got us playing some fantastic football as well. I for one don't mind if we win games by the odd goal even against the minnows. The players seem to know exactly what their role is, he also seems to be able to players in a different position from what they play at their clubs SJM and McTominey and he solved the problem of how to play Robertson and Tierney in the same team.
    We are in a good place looking forward to the play offs and the competition for places is the most competitive it's been for years.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Good post.

Steve Clarke has got us playing some fantastic football as well. I for one don't mind if we win games by the odd goal even against the minnows. The players seem to know exactly what their role is, he also seems to be able to players in a different position from what they play at their clubs SJM and McTominey and he solved the problem of how to play Robertson and Tierney in the same team.
    We are in a good place looking forward to the play offs and the competition for places is the most competitive it's been for years.
    I think he's a got a bit of a headache going forward regarding McTominay though.

Absolutely no doubt about it that he's a good player but I think the Scotland team looks more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" job when he's not playing. When he's played in his best position (in the midfield) Scotland have invariably struggled.

It would be a brave Scotland manager who would leave out through choice a player who gets in the Manchester United first team but that might be what Clarke has to do.

Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    No matter what the score is tonight he has to go, absolutely hopeless, we need a manager who can inspire us and sadly that is not paw broon
    First time in nearly 100 years we've won 6 on the bounce. The OP was only here 5 weeks ago so it's not as if things have changed since then. I am totally excited for the national team and now wanting tickets for Hampden.

The OP should be here apologising to SC!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think it depends how much credit these guys put in the bank when times are good.

Going forward, most (not all) fans will likely remember how it felt to quality for the first tournament in yonks, how it felt to win 6 on the bounce, how it felt to beat a team like Denmark and finally get a bit of feel good going again. He's actually quite a pragmatic manager but I don't think Scotland fans mind that so much when international football is very very much a results business.

Did Jack Ross put enough in the bank when times were good? No, I don't think he did. A decent number of narrow wins over weak SPFL teams wasn't enough when it came to blowing big opportunities in the cups and now that our form and results have dropped off a cliff, the knives are out.

There has always just been a feeling of unease between the fans at Hibs and Jack Ross. I don't know what he needs to do to win folk over. Win a few big games would help, starting on Sunday would be lovely. Another decent league finish would help his cause. Getting the injured players back and starting to show more of the form we showed in flashes early this season.

As long as we're playing poorly and losing, he's on a hiding to nothing though.

There's always a lunatic fringe amongst football fans who are very vocal, positive and negative. Whilst I think we all sway to an extent, for most people it only happens on a minor scale.
    Superb post.

Even the ‘good times’ have been pretty bland under JR.