hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As do media savvy players. The young guns are all over social media.

What’s the chances a media company picks this up and within a few days we are all reading headline - Hibs star refuses contract extension….Seen it a million times before.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    I'm not too sure but don't really think it would be fair to name someone.

But it's not really any of our business either to be honest is it

I'll just put stuff like this on the PM from now on.
    Best thing you've said so far.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The usual anonymous illiterate half wits on the usual half wit platforms I suspect.
    Yes, but I wanted to know if so called Hibs fans angry at the red card were behind the comments. Can't quite believe it but.......

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Excellent from JR.

Sickened by the vitriol aimed at his player, Hibs manager Ross has hit back strongly at the tone taken by some of his critics and shone a light on the personal abuse Porteous has suffered as a result.

“I think those who have that platform need to be careful not to exaggerate or misrepresent things,” said Ross. “I have seen what a 22-year-old had to deal with because of that.

“It was a tackle, that’s all it was. People can have their opinion on how bad a tackle it was, that’s football, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the way there was a complete misrepresentation of it by people who used inflammatory language without thought. It definitely stoked a stronger reaction.

“His disciplinary record last season was outstanding but people don’t want to hear that. In the current climate, when we are quick to highlight some other forms of abuse, it is terrible what he has had to put up with.

“He is a young man, who has had to deal with the professional disappointment of the way the game panned out but it is the other stuff he has had to deal with that’s inappropriate and we shouldn’t wash over it as though it is acceptable. The abuse, and people talking about him dying, that goes beyond the pale.”

As the incident was heavily-debated in the following days, former Hearts boss Craig Levein suggested it may not be long before reckless challenges land players in court and, taking it all in, Ross said he was astounded by the ensuing narrative.

“Some people discussed it in a rational, balanced manner, as you would expect. But some people didn’t and blew it all out of proportion,” he added.

"Because of that a 22-year-old was subjected to the most dreadful abuse in the aftermath. I have seen it and it is disgusting. I have seen sectarian abuse, homophobic abuse, people telling him they hope he dies of a tumour.

“You can say that came in the aftermath of the incident or you can say it is in the aftermath of the way some people spoke about it but I have to be protective of him.”

There were check-up calls in the hours and days that followed and despite Gerrard’s assertion that Porteous “let his manager down and his teammates down”, Ross hit back.

“Ryan didn’t let me down, he knows that. I’m there to make my players better so it’s not about me. He is a young man who has made over 100 appearances for Hibs and he loves this club and wants to bring success. He will always come back stronger.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...action-3418291
    Well done JR starting to warm to the man, this is class, well aimed, measured and gets the intended ones right between the eyes bunch o phanneys that they are.
    BBC gunts as well, stuff them they are becoming irrelevant and out of date. Timing is everything and this is timed correctly in my humble, time to circle the wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Well done JR starting to warm to the man, this is class, well aimed, measured and gets the intended ones right between the eyes bunch o phanneys that they are.
    BBC gunts as well, stuff them they are becoming irrelevant and out of date. Timing is everything and this is timed correctly in my humble, time to circle the wagons.
    It’s timed perfectly as, imo, it gives him the last word on the matter (for now).

Attention is turning to the next fixtures and it makes Slippy or anyone else who wants to comment now look a bit desperate to keep the issue going.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Yes, but I wanted to know if so called Hibs fans angry at the red card were behind the comments. Can't quite believe it but.......
    Safe to say it was Rangers or Hearts supporters but it's hard to care what team brain dead abusive folk support.
    Sadly every team has them and they should be told to wind their necks in every time the opportunity arises.

I didn't see anyone on here say anything angry or abusive about Ryan.
    Comments were made by the minority that the red card was valid, Ryan let the team down and he needed to make better decisions in future.
    The extreme bat **** stuff on here was generally confined to the other side of the argument.

Exactly what you would expect from Rangers fans.

They know they will get away with it, they know all of Scottish football will fall into line again next time they want something. Why would they change?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Although I still think we should have defended Porteous more at the time, those are very good comments from Jack Ross and quite disturbing to read about the abuse Porteous has taken.

I'm glad that Hibs are looking after him and providing him with support.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Can we take a second to imagine how sweet a Porteous winner at Hampden next month would be.

Honestly don’t think I’ve ever wanted to leather the Huns as much, hopefully we boot a few of them into Row Z, nice and sportsmanlike.

**** Rangers, the west coast Hun sympathising ‘journalists’, and especially Steven Gerrard
    I'm not sure I have ever wanted one specific player to score a winning goal in a game more in my lifetime.

I would love see the reaction from them it would be a beautiful sight to behold.

Please let this happen.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58916448

BBC now carrying the story, as well as the Ross County racist abuse allegation story.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58916448

BBC now carrying the story, as well as the Ross County racist abuse allegation story.
    Steven Gerrard's comments will most likely have been a contributing factor.
    Last edited by 007; 14-10-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm not sure I have ever wanted one specific player to score a winning goal in a game more in my lifetime.

I would love see the reaction from them it would be a beautiful sight to behold.

Please let this happen.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they took a leaf out of the Prague kids' book and repeatedly boo him.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Steven Gerrard's comments will mist likely have been a contributing factor.
    Pretty much the case every time he opens his irritating gob., knowing he is going to stir his bonehead following into some form of action.
    Well done Jack Ross, the latest to highlight the behaviour of this mob, who are sad to say, a section of our society.

Really proud of Jack Ross speaking out like this. It's sad on 2021 that he has had to. I really hope we (as a country) can use this recent momentum to eradicate sectarianism (or whatever people wish to call it)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    It's a good statement a week too late. At this point he has to identify the articles in question to make an impact.
    Agreed. If he had said this the day after the game it would have at least should in public how he felt and may have diverted some of the vitriol towards Ryan onto Jack. As it is it is an excellent statement but far too late. Still better than nothing though

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Agreed. If he had said this the day after the game it would have at least should in public how he felt and may have diverted some of the vitriol towards Ryan onto Jack. As it is it is an excellent statement but far too late. Still better than nothing though
    That would be a good thing in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    He hadn't received all the online abuse the day after the game.

First Team Breakthrough
    Fair play to jr for saying this, would have been much better doing it at the time. There has to be some sort of retribution however to Craig Levein etc for the nonsense they spread after, revoke their media passes for the rest of the season. Might seem petty but need to do something about it. Give the huns nothing when they come to er. Turn the heating and hot water off in there changing room aswell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tmb1875 View Post
    Fair play to jr for saying this, would have been much better doing it at the time.
    What's 'at the time'? Ryan has obviously been getting barrel loads of abuse online since the incident which JR has now seen or been made aware of and is commenting on it

First Team Breakthrough
    That not self explanatory? After gerrards comments or couple days later after levein et al.

Quote Originally Posted by tmb1875 View Post
    That not self explanatory? After gerrards comments or couple days later after levein et al.

He's talking about the online abuse that RP's been receiving as well though which probably wasn't all at that same time. I think it's a strong and calculated response by Ross, just as club football is returning from the international break. I doubt Ross was able to say much in the media at the time of Gerrard and Levein's quotes as there was still a decision to be made on the appeal

@hibs.net private member
    I like the way Jack Ross and the club are dealing with unacceptable comments and behaviour from other clubs. He put daft Robbie firmly in his box after the “celebrations” rubbish and now he has dealt with the The Rangers nonsense.

No knee jerk reaction. No histrionics, no rushed out “club statement “, just coolly and quietly done when the blabbering noise has settled down. Almost surgical in its delivery.
    A bit of class is what I’ve always expected from our club and JR gives us that in spades right now. Long May it continue.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    I like the way Jack Ross and the club are dealing with unacceptable comments and behaviour from other clubs. He put daft Robbie firmly in his box after the “celebrations” rubbish and now he has dealt with the The Rangers nonsense.

No knee jerk reaction. No histrionics, no rushed out “club statement “, just coolly and quietly done when the blabbering noise has settled down. Almost surgical in its delivery.
    A bit of class is what I’ve always expected from our club and JR gives us that in spades right now. Long May it continue.
    Agree very happy with the comments by Jack. The timing is obviously a balance to be honest. I think the risk would have having back and forth with Gerrard through the unsympathetic red tops which probably wouldn't have helped especially given the semi final upcoming.

There was a tackle in my kids game which was far more uncontrolled than Ryan's challenge and the ref didn't even give a card. After calming down he explained he got the ball. The fact that the player on the receiving end of the tackle saw it coming didn't seem to matter. Every time I watch a game I see far worse tackles than Ryan's yet not even a card. An unbelievable decision and the witch hunt afterwards just compounds the problem. Against any other team and at any other venue there is no sending off. The refs behaviour is indefensible as is the appeal being rejected.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post

Exactly.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    There was a tackle in my kids game which was far more uncontrolled than Ryan's challenge and the ref didn't even give a card. After calming down he explained he got the ball. The fact that the player on the receiving end of the tackle saw it coming didn't seem to matter. Every time I watch a game I see far worse tackles than Ryan's yet not even a card. An unbelievable decision and the witch hunt afterwards just compounds the problem. Against any other team and at any other venue there is no sending off. The refs behaviour is indefensible as is the appeal being rejected.