hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Tom English produces a lovey article regarding the media darlings new midfielder who is decent but still

As a poster earlier said no article alone on the BBC for Ross telling it how it is just shoved in the gossip

If this was the other way about and it was Gerrard just coming out defending his player it would be plastered all over the shop hourly
    That's just how it is with the Scottish football journos and Hibs. Got used to it years ago. The guy has had the most horrendous comments chucked at him and it goes in the gossip column, insulting doesn't approach describing their deliberate attitude towards us.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    No it isn't. Any statement made right after the game would have got lost in all the noise.
    Saying it now means it gets room to breathe and be widely read.
    It would have forced MSM journalists to balance their articles with JR's. It would have cut the legs off "let his team and manager down" nonsense. And maybe Porto would have felt more protected and less likely to DM that part time hack on insta.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    It would have forced MSM journalists to balance their articles with JR's. It would have cut the legs off "let his team and manager down" nonsense. And maybe Porto would have felt more protected and less likely to DM that part time hack on insta.
    It wouldn't have forced MSM journalists to do anything. It'd have been largely ignored.

Left by mutual consent!
    The comments about cancer and dying? Who is saying this? Genuinely don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It wouldn't have forced MSM journalists to do anything. It'd have been largely ignored.
    Exactly.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    You don't think a stout defence of the player wouldn't have been mentioned? You don't think it would tempered commentary by people dependant on clubs for information. I disagree. Even if he'd just highlighted last season's disciplinary record at the time, it totally changes the "the kid's not learning " narrative which was allowed to fester into Aidan Smiths latest ramble in the evening news, and that T4O article, and the various other opinion pieces in the red tops.
    Last edited by 500miles; 14-10-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    How do you know this?
    I just do.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    I just do.
    Ok. I'd probably not bother mentioning it, as it's not really contributing a great deal to the discussion about Porteous and negative press.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Ok. I'd probably not bother mentioning it, as it's not really contributing a great deal to the discussion about Porteous and negative press.
    It's information about one of our players.

Not really any of your business how I know about it though, also if I told you who told me, they would probably get into trouble.

Not really any of your business how I know about it though, also if I told you who told me, they would probably get into trouble.
    Why would they get into trouble? Is it supposed to be private?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I realised many many years ago that Hibs don't have too many friends in the Scottish media. The bigot twins get most of the press, and friendly press at that. Recently though the tarts and Aberdeen have had an incredible amount of support from the BBC in particular. No matter what hearts have done on and off the pitch, no matter how much of a James Hunt they were making if the stand, relegated a few times, crao teams, threatening teams/sfa/spfl etc with court action they always seem to get great press. You could make a old boys team out of the amount of jambo roasters on the beeb and in the press.
    Whatever Jack and the club say or have said is irrelevant to what will be portrayed in the media. **** them all, we as Hibbies need to stick together and keep sticking up for players and club. No one else will do it for us

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

A tad over the top when you're posting on a Hibs forum, but crack on. I'm sure your source will love your eagerness to betray their confidence

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Whatever Jack and the club say or have said is irrelevant to what will be portrayed in the media. **** them all, we as Hibbies need to stick together and keep sticking up for players and club. No one else will do it for us
    Nail on head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

I'm not too sure but don't really think it would be fair to name someone.

But it's not really any of our business either to be honest is it

I'll just put stuff like this on the PM from now on.

Coaching Staff
    Regardless.

Ryan has still refused to sign his new contract.
    Are you sure about your wording?

You make it sound as though a contract gets written up and is put on a table for him to sign without any discussion.

Do you mean he has declined the opportunity to discuss a contract or he has so far not agreed on the terms for a new contract?

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Are you sure about your wording?

You make it sound as though a contract gets written up and is put on a table for him to sign without any discussion.

Do you mean he has declined the opportunity to discuss a contract or he has so far not agreed on the terms for a new contract?
    The way the poster has presented it he is suggesting a contract offer has been made and Ryan is refusing to sign because Jack Ross didn't stick up for him more vehemently in the press, causing Ross to make this new statement.

Which sounds a little far fetched to me but I'm not in the know.

I'm not too sure but don't really think it would be fair to name someone.

But it's not really any of our business either to be honest is it

I'll just put stuff like this on the PM from now on.
    Fair enough. Discretion is key sometimes when these discussions are ongoing.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Can we take a second to imagine how sweet a Porteous winner at Hampden next month would be.

Honestly don’t think I’ve ever wanted to leather the Huns as much, hopefully we boot a few of them into Row Z, nice and sportsmanlike.

**** Rangers, the west coast Hun sympathising ‘journalists’, and especially Steven Gerrard
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Can we take a second to imagine how sweet a Porteous winner at Hampden next month would be.

Honestly don’t think I’ve ever wanted to leather the Huns as much, hopefully we boot a few of them into Row Z, nice and sportsmanlike.

**** Rangers, the west coast Hun sympathising ‘journalists’, and especially Steven Gerrard
    How funny would that be. Do it Ryan

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

With him celebrating by doing a huge slide tackle in front of the Huns dugout.

PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    With him celebrating by doing a huge slide tackle in front of the Huns dugout.

...with Boyler miming the dive the Rangers guy took and writhing around in front of Slippy.

Left by mutual consent!

Maybe Ryan has asked the poster to put it out there? Nothing wrong with a bit of espionage when negotiating a new contract. Especially if you see your future in England and are happy to run your contract down.

Not that I have any idea if Ryan has rejected a new contract however as a young ambitious man, you could not blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Maybe Ryan has asked the poster to put it out there? Nothing wrong with a bit of espionage when negotiating a new contract. Especially if you see your future in England and are happy to run your contract down.

Not that I have any idea if Ryan has rejected a new contract however as a young ambitious man, you could not blame him.
    Rubbish

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Excellent from JR.

Sickened by the vitriol aimed at his player, Hibs manager Ross has hit back strongly at the tone taken by some of his critics and shone a light on the personal abuse Porteous has suffered as a result.

“I think those who have that platform need to be careful not to exaggerate or misrepresent things,” said Ross. “I have seen what a 22-year-old had to deal with because of that.

“It was a tackle, that’s all it was. People can have their opinion on how bad a tackle it was, that’s football, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the way there was a complete misrepresentation of it by people who used inflammatory language without thought. It definitely stoked a stronger reaction.

“His disciplinary record last season was outstanding but people don’t want to hear that. In the current climate, when we are quick to highlight some other forms of abuse, it is terrible what he has had to put up with.

“He is a young man, who has had to deal with the professional disappointment of the way the game panned out but it is the other stuff he has had to deal with that’s inappropriate and we shouldn’t wash over it as though it is acceptable. The abuse, and people talking about him dying, that goes beyond the pale.”

As the incident was heavily-debated in the following days, former Hearts boss Craig Levein suggested it may not be long before reckless challenges land players in court and, taking it all in, Ross said he was astounded by the ensuing narrative.

“Some people discussed it in a rational, balanced manner, as you would expect. But some people didn’t and blew it all out of proportion,” he added.

"Because of that a 22-year-old was subjected to the most dreadful abuse in the aftermath. I have seen it and it is disgusting. I have seen sectarian abuse, homophobic abuse, people telling him they hope he dies of a tumour.

“You can say that came in the aftermath of the incident or you can say it is in the aftermath of the way some people spoke about it but I have to be protective of him.”

There were check-up calls in the hours and days that followed and despite Gerrard’s assertion that Porteous “let his manager down and his teammates down”, Ross hit back.

“Ryan didn’t let me down, he knows that. I’m there to make my players better so it’s not about me. He is a young man who has made over 100 appearances for Hibs and he loves this club and wants to bring success. He will always come back stronger.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...action-3418291

well said JR

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    The comments about cancer and dying? Who is saying this? Genuinely don't know.
    The usual anonymous illiterate half wits on the usual half wit platforms I suspect.

Agents use the proper media for that sort of stuff.

Or maybe his agent

It's no secret he want's to play in England.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Agents use the media for that sort of stuff.
    As do media savvy players. The young guns are all over social media.

What’s the chances a media company picks this up and within a few days we are all reading headline - Hibs star refuses contract extension….Seen it a million times before.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rubbish

Thanks for that insightful response.

I don't think a football agent would require a random person to anonomously post on a football forum that a player hasn't signed a new contract. Not only would it achieve absolutely nothing, but we're all aware Ryan hasn't signed a new deal yet. The only thing that matters will be the ongoing negotiations.