hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loads of **** cover versions.
    Even the cover art is horrific.
    Greasy haired Brian and Love wearing one of his poncy hats.
    Dreadful stuff.

Had To Phone Ya" is good. A nice weirdness to it. The Honeys version removes the weirdness.
    Only other non cover track I can remember from it is "It's O.K."
    "Just Once In My Life" cover is pretty good
    What other tracks are serviceable from the album?
    'Had to phone ya' is 'Trombone Dixie' from the Pet Sounds sessions, 'it's OK' should have been a massive summer hit but they released it in September, 'Once in my life' is a great Brian/Carl duet, 'Rock&Roll music was a big hit in US, but apart from that only Palisdes Park passes muster IMHO

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    Yes, Brian was there (in body!).. he spent most of the gig drinking and smoking while tinkling on the piano, if I remember.
    I know the gig you are talking about. My mate who educated me on SMILE (a wee cassette of the 2nd ever bootleg) still revels in the fact he was there.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

'Had to phone ya' is 'Trombone Dixie' from the Pet Sounds sessions
    Blimey. I now need to listen to both as I haven't noticed that before. You are sending me down that rabbit-hole again.

I like the Amercian Spring stuff from that mid 70's era. Clean, no baggage sweet production and tunes.

'Had to phone ya' is 'Trombone Dixie' from the Pet Sounds sessions, 'it's OK' should have been a massive summer hit but they released it in September, 'Once in my life' is a great Brian/Carl duet, 'Rock&Roll music was a big hit in US, but apart from that only Palisdes Park passes muster IMHO
    Fortunately that cover although light isn't as well known in the UK as the US whereas the likes of RnR Music was just pointless.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-10-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Blimey. I now need to listen to both as I haven't noticed that before. You are sending me down that rabbit-hole again.

I like the Amercian Spring stuff from that mid 70's era. Clean, no baggage sweet production and tunes.

If you listen to the instrumental version of 'Had to phone ya' its a lot more clearer to identify, also works as a great mobile ring!

Fortunately that song isn't as well known in the UK as the US whereas the likes of RnR Music was just pointless.
    True, but was it better than the Beatles version?

If you listen to the instrumental version of 'Had to phone ya' its a lot more clearer to identify, also works as a great mobile ring!
    Yup. I hear it.

Talking about BB rabbit holes, try the 'Sail on' podcast on Spotify, non-returnable! especially the Smile stuff...

Neither had I!

Talking about BB rabbit holes, try the 'Sail on' podcast on Spotify, non-returnable! especially the Smile stuff...
    Apart from Priore and Tobelman I have a low threshold for SMiLE chat. Too much rot spoken about that album.

EDIT

Am looking it up now.

Last edited by Kato; 04-10-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    I 'worked' with The Beach Boys during their 2 shows at The ABC in 1967. It was their final date of the UK leg & Carl Wilson joined them for the 1st time. He had been fighting the Vietnam draft. I still get shivers when I remember Carl singing God Only Knows with tears running down his face. They were all seriously drunk but I arranged for someone to run across the road & buy them haggis and fish suppers between shows. Terry Reid, great guy and fine singer with Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers was off his face. He spilled red wine all over his white suit backstage & somehow we got it drycleaned and back to him for the 2nd show. It was one big party, I stood beside Helen Shapiro in the wings as she sang the deep parts of Good Vibrations. Incidentally that was 1st time I saw a mixing deck being fed in to supplement the vocals.
    At the end of the 2nd show The Beach Boys ran along the corridor and into a car parked by the Stage Door, Mike Love stayed behind sticking his head through the curtains to convince the audience there was another encore coming then took off to join them on the short trip to The Caley.
    I came out about 45 minutes later & there were still hundreds of kids waiting for The Beach Boys to emerge!

True, but was it better than the Beatles version?
    Generally not a good idea to cover a Chuck Berry song.
    The original Chuck Berry version has great Johnnie Johnson piano lines in it.
    The Beatles excuse is it was 1964 when they released it and it was early in their career.
    The lead vocal is good and they put a bit of welly into it but I would have much preferred another original on the "Beatles For Sale" album instead
    The Beach Boys recording of the song is from 1976 when they should have known better.
    Their version sounds like Showbizness rather than music
    Mike lead vocal is yuck, I like some of the backing vocal sections but it should have been binned.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I 'worked' with The Beach Boys during their 2 shows at The ABC in 1967. It was their final date of the UK leg & Carl Wilson joined them for the 1st time. He had been fighting the Vietnam draft. I still get shivers when I remember Carl singing God Only Knows with tears running down his face. They were all seriously drunk but I arranged for someone to run across the road & buy them haggis and fish suppers between shows. Terry Reid, great guy and fine singer with Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers was off his face. He spilled red wine all over his white suit backstage & somehow we got it drycleaned and back to him for the 2nd show. It was one big party, I stood beside Helen Shapiro in the wings as she sang the deep parts of Good Vibrations. Incidentally that was 1st time I saw a mixing deck being fed in to supplement the vocals.
    At the end of the 2nd show The Beach Boys ran along the corridor and into a car parked by the Stage Door, Mike Love stayed behind sticking his head through the curtains to convince the audience there was another encore coming then took off to join them on the short trip to The Caley.
    I came out about 45 minutes later & there were still hundreds of kids waiting for The Beach Boys to emerge!
    Thanks for sharing Brog
    We have well and truly taken this thread off course but it has been fun.
    Lots of good stories.

Interesting, could I ask you what you're role was? am I right in saying Terry Reid passed away a couple of years ago? was meant to be some character! EDIT Just checked, apoligies to Terry Reid et all! Still alive and kicking!
    Last edited by leith lynx; 04-10-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Brilliant, Brog.

Blog Entries
    Interesting, could I ask you what you're role was? am I right in saying Terry Reid passed away a couple of years ago? was meant to be some character! EDIT Just checked, apoligies to Terry Reid et all! Still alive and kicking!
    I was only 19 and really just working as a steward/bouncer. However at prior concert, can't remember who, I was put in charge of all the stewards. About an hour before the BB concert started the ABC manager asked me to act as backstage liaison, primarily for the Beach Boys but also for anyone else. In those days there were 2 shows with about 6 acts and I think Management were concerned show was going to be abandoned if the party continued. It was a hectic night but great fun.

I was only 19 and really just working as a steward/bouncer. However at prior concert, can't remember who, I was put in charge of all the stewards. About an hour before the BB concert started the ABC manager asked me to act as backstage liaison, primarily for the Beach Boys but also for anyone else. In those days there were 2 shows with about 6 acts and I think Management were concerned show was going to be abandoned if the party continued. It was a hectic night but great fun.
    Thanks brog, great story, any memories of Dennis Wilson?

Surely had to drag him out the Pubic Triangle between shows.

Blog Entries
    I think I nicked a couple of his chips, but not really. I just remember he really was the epitome of a Beach Boy, really good looking and friendly, as they all were.

Surely had to drag him out the Pubic Triangle between shows.

Probably true! Dennis nickname was 'the wood'

15 stinky ones more like - but it served it's purpose of getting BW back in the studio and we got Love You as a result. I like Had To Phone Ya but prefer his wife's version.

I check out those batch releases on Spotify these days. The biggest revelation is the lead vocals to "Passing By", which BW "wiped" back in the day - "wiped" like he "burned" the Fire tapes.

BW 1988 is like a bookend to Love You, it illustrates the advances in synths over the 10 years between the releases. Love both those albums.
    This is stuck in my head now. Can't move it!

C'mon C'mon, C'mon and answer the phone!

C'mon C'mon, C'mon and answer the phone!

Love American Spring. Been listening to "Friends" a lot.

Love American Spring. Been listening to "Friends" a lot.

Think 'Friends' was the perfect antidote to the madness of 'Smile', for BW at least.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    The best week of my life was in May 2016.

SDG in injury time then Brian Wilson at the Usher Hall a few days later, godlike genius from both lol

Briilliant recollection ,Brian
    Good memory of an experience most would not encounter

But oor Billy drank Les Gray(MUD) under the table in an hotel in Bristol.
    Les nearly missed his set cos of Billy.
    Had Alex Harvey speechless wae his jokes and told Noddy Holder to get a haircut
    He also invited Cliff Richard to visit the Clerry Inn when they met at a Polydor function in London when he was with Bilbo Baggins

He must have scared the pants of Cliff ..... you knew Billy!!

first EP i bought "God Only Knows"
    played this vinyl disc till it nearly melted, or broke my mothers radiogram
    wonderful songs

Aye "wouldnt it be nice " ......... to win the cup again !!

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    The best week of my life was in May 2016.

SDG in injury time then Brian Wilson at the Usher Hall a few days later, godlike genius from both lol
    Snap!