hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Free kicks

First Team Breakthrough

Free kicks

When was the last time we scored direct from a free kick having a think it may have been Nisbet.Generally we are very poor at them and most end up in someone's bovril or pizza.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by swordin3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When was the last time we scored direct from a free kick having a think it may have been Nisbet.Generally we are very poor at them and most end up in someone's bovril or pizza.
    I think every team is pretty poor at them to be fair. Sure I seen a stat a few years back saying Ronaldo hadn't scored a direct free kick in around 70 attempts

With riordan On they it sometimes felt like a penalty cause he was that good and clinical on them

Can't imagine we're better or worse than anyone else. Obviously guys like Ward Prowse or Messi score regularly but even then it's maybe 3 or 4 a season.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I think Magennis might be able to do the damage from 20-25yds.

Think was Nisbet last season but I'm sure he scored two but could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Think was Nisbet last season but I'm sure he scored two but could be wrong.
    35 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANk2dao8l1Q

That's it - he's on them from now on!

In fairness it’s a very very difficult skill.

If you were to score 2 a season you’re doing well.

Im not sure who should be taking for us. Magennis, Allan, Boyle, Newell or Nisbet? You imagine they all have the technique and confidence to try.

Porteous even had a go the other week.

Is all this because some jambo scored at the weekend?

Whoever takes them all I know is it shouldn't be Nisbet, he seems to be the default guy but he's actually pretty poor at them.

For what it's worth, Hearts have that Kingsley guy who seems to have scored a few already this season, both old firm teams and the odd team outside of old firm are also dangerous from them.

In summary, I think we could do better from the opportunities we get, especially with Boyle constantly fouled outside the box.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

It's not something you can really coach to be honest, you can either hit a great dead ball or you can't. Beckham used to spend 3 or 4 hours after training hitting free kick after free kick but he did say he was always pretty good at dead balls anyway.

If you're lucky enough to have a naturally gifted dead ball striker in your squad then great, if not, you do your best with what you've got. We've got a couple of players who can hit a decent enough dead ball but don't seem to have a natural.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This

Are we not letting Porto have another shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It'll happen. For them to try it during a match, he must have been hitting them well enough in training.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    It's not something you can really coach to be honest, you can either hit a great dead ball or you can't. Beckham used to spend 3 or 4 hours after training hitting free kick after free kick but he did say he was always pretty good at dead balls anyway.

If you're lucky enough to have a naturally gifted dead ball striker in your squad then great, if not, you do your best with what you've got. We've got a couple of players who can hit a decent enough dead ball but don't seem to have a natural.
    Funny that cause I think it’s one of the things you can absolutely coach and Improve on with practice. I know first hand how spending time on it improves you and if I was doing it as part of full time training every day or so I’d definitely improve. Do agree there is a natural element where some are better technically though

This is one of my constant frustrations! When we get a free outside the box there's always a buzz of anticipation.

What happens? The ball sails over the bar and we shrug our shoulders and trudge away yet again. To be fair it's the same all over the country. Even Ronaldo has hardly been prolific of late, as stated above.

Try something different! Get in behind the defence somehow. Tricky through balls, wall passes etc. What do they do in training for heavens sake? Same old, same old it seems to me.

Bring back Mallan

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Take a leaf out Ceni’s book… despite being a “bambi” incredible record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rog%C3%A9rio_Ceni
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Bring back Mallan
    About 3 years since he last scored one.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    He should be taking every FK against the Huns.

They're petrified of the big bad bogeyman.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post

Practise is the key. Somebody needs to go out in the afternoon and hit tens of free kicks. I think Boyle has the potential because of the power in his shot and fairly good at placing the ball for penalties.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 07-10-2021 at 07:21 AM.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Practise is the key. Somebody needs to go out in the afternoon and hit tens of free kicks. I think Boyle has the potential because of the power in his shot and fairly good at placing the ball for penalties.
    I kind of agree. Pracise is the key but power is not the complete answer. Older viewers may remember Blackpool's Mickey Walsh scoring Match of the Days GOTS, mid 70s. He scored a few like it and always put it down to small feet putting more spin on the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I’d let Porto have a shot at Morelos, Gerrard and Nick Walsh last man standing wins.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    In fairness it’s a very very difficult skill.

If you were to score 2 a season you’re doing well.

Im not sure who should be taking for us. Magennis, Allan, Boyle, Newell or Nisbet? You imagine they all have the technique and confidence to try.

Porteous even had a go the other week.
    I am sure Hearts have scored two in the last few weeks. Even Mallan who struck a lovely ball didn't score huge numbers. Nisbets was a cracker when he first came but he could hit a barn door thereafter. We have even tried Porteous having a go such is our poor success rate. No idea who I'd have taking them as our set pieces and crossing are generally pretty poor. Cadden may be worth a go as he can whip in crosses which is a similar skill.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This is one of my constant frustrations! When we get a free outside the box there's always a buzz of anticipation.

What happens? The ball sails over the bar and we shrug our shoulders and trudge away yet again. To be fair it's the same all over the country. Even Ronaldo has hardly been prolific of late, as stated above.

Try something different! Get in behind the defence somehow. Tricky through balls, wall passes etc. What do they do in training for heavens sake? Same old, same old it seems to me.
    That's probably the way to go.

The opposition put half of their team in one specific area nowhere near either the ball or the goal - play around it and surely we'd carve out an opportunity that's more likely to lead to a goal than trying to hit the ball over a wall and back down, which is what the keeper is expecting.
    Mon the Hibs.