hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football has moved past the stage of "contact makes anything okay". The ref has judged that there was intent to harm and In that scenario whether he makes contact or not is irrelevant.

For what it's worth I'm undecided but if I had to choose I'd say it probably was a red. But my point is that whether he makes contact with the ball is irrelevant, and that's not even up for debate it's literally in the rules of the game.

The rule doesn't mention intent from what I see. It is all about endangering an opponent whether you mean it or not. Not sure he does that as the follow through doesn't make contact despite there being no evasive movement from the opponent. Trying to look at all the angles, the one that looks bad sees Ryan touch the ball when The Rangers player is a good yard away. By the time he slides through the player is past the action and out of the way of the follow through. You can't endanger the player when he can't be caught by the movement of the defender. His fake stumble after the tackle was the only thing that endangered him and could easily have been a booking. Imo it is a defender going in strong and an attacker not fancying it. The ref basically did what biased Scottish refs do. Give the advantage where possible to the The Thes particularly with 50 odd thousand shouting and an unchallenged narrative of Porteous is a thug. whether the refs are intentionally biased and corrupt might be up for debate but Scottish football is completely corrupt allowing The Uglies to ban away fans and having referees almost exclusively from the west of Scotland.

I'm really disappointed in Jack Ross. He should be publicly standing up for Porteous especially the way Gerrard has went after him. The same Gerrard who really was a nasty piece of dirt on the fitba field. Ross is without doubt an honest guy giving his opinion but he must see how successful Gerrard is in playing the victim card with Morelos and making out Porteous is a thug. I'm a bit fed up with us constantly playing with a straight bat when others are driving nails in theirs and playing dirty.

2. Log in to remove the advert

D

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I don’t think he did anything wrong today but I’m not sure we can play him at Hampden now. He wasn’t sent off for the tackle today. He was sent off because of who he is, who he was tackling and because of everything that has built up. It’ll have went up another 10 levels on the back of today. They’ll outnumber us 3 or 4 to 1 at Hampden and be all over whatever joker is refereeing as soon as he makes any kind of challenge.
    He will 100per cent be playing at Hampden if fit of course. He is our best player and a huge reason we have done so well this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The rule doesn't mention intent from what I see. It is all about endangering an opponent whether you mean it or not. Not sure he does that as the follow through doesn't make contact despite there being no evasive movement from the opponent. Trying to look at all the angles, the one that looks bad sees Ryan touch the ball when The Rangers player is a good yard away. By the time he slides through the player is past the action and out of the way of the follow through. You can't endanger the player when he can't be caught by the movement of the defender. His fake stumble after the tackle was the only thing that endangered him and could easily have been a booking. Imo it is a defender going in strong and an attacker not fancying it. The ref basically did what biased Scottish refs do. Give the advantage where possible to the The Thes particularly with 50 odd thousand shouting and an unchallenged narrative of Porteous is a thug. whether the refs are intentionally biased and corrupt might be up for debate but Scottish football is completely corrupt allowing The Uglies to ban away fans and having referees almost exclusively from the west of Scotland.

I'm really disappointed in Jack Ross. He should be publicly standing up for Porteous especially the way Gerrard has went after him. The same Gerrard who really was a nasty piece of dirt on the fitba field. Ross is without doubt an honest guy giving his opinion but he must see how successful Gerrard is in playing the victim card with Morelos and making out Porteous is a thug. I'm a bit fed up with us constantly playing with a straight bat when others are driving nails in theirs and playing dirty.

I wouldn't even call it a tackle, he brilliantly won a 50/50 ball, got it to a team-mate and looked to be setting up a counter-attack. If you cut that sort of movement out of football, you might as well dress them up in bike helmets, moon boots and Mr. Blobby suits (guess which lard-ass Hun wouldn't need one).

I'm also not buying the 'Oh, it's just incompetence from ***** referees, it all evens it's self out' - it's pure bias and corruption from a mafia of Glasgow-centric referees, who can even boast about having never given a penalty against the team they support???

It was a disgraceful decision. No way any of the Rangers players would have even been cautioned for that.
    Mind you when I heard the ref had abseiled down to the pitch from the stand roof I feared the worst.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Porteous has had two straight red cards, both against Rangers, both with the same referee (iirc).

This isn’t a trend in Porto’s behaviour that’s getting him in bother.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post
    What chance have you got when your own fans are swallowing the narrative.

No, I didn't think he'd get sent off and I still don't think it was a red. A weak and questionable referee with a history of giving Rangers favourable decisions reacted to the crowd and couldn't wait to theatrically wave a red card.

Scottish football is absolutely rancid.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    100% agreed. A fair portion of Hibs fans are swallowing the nonsense by the media.

There is even a Daily Record headline quoting Gerrard which actually implies Porteous broke a leg yesterday, which he of course, absolutely did not.

People have short memories, Gerrard refused to shake his hand after a draw at ER last season, their club hate the lad and single him out in games whether it be physicality or theatrics. It’s no surprise what way these decisions go season after season. Morelos “missed red” then scoring the winner last season immediately springs to mind…

If you're flying in like that then you're giving the referee a decision to make. He didn't have to.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    What a load of insulting, patronising garbage - Hibs fans "swallowing the narrative".

What about Hibs fans who can make their own minds up without getting sucked in by social media paranoia?
    Last edited by Peevemor; 04-10-2021 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    What a load of insulting, patronising garbage - Hibs fans "swallowing the narrative".

What about Hibs fans who can make their own minds up without getting suckled in by social media paranoia?
    If you think it's a red then you're talking pish apparently. You need to be absolutely outraged at the decision. Watched it numerous times and I can absolutely see why he was sent off. Needless recklessness. I'm more annoyed at Porteous and our horrible defending for the goals.
    Last edited by Since452; 04-10-2021 at 05:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar

What about Hibs fans who can make their own minds up without getting sucked in by social media paranoia?
    Good point.

It was a rash, unnecessary challenge that allowed the referee to make a decision on the back of 50,000 bigots baying for blood.

If you want to question referee decisions then I would look at the lack of bookings for Rangers players .. Morelos into the back of Porteous, Morelos twice pushing Hibs players off the ball, Aribo’s kick at Newell (when already on a booking), Wright going down looking for a penalty from McGinn (wasn’t even a corner, which the ref gave).
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983

Calling people like myself “patronising” then going on to patronise Hibs fans being “sucked in by social media”…. A tad hypocritical.

I’m pissed off as yet again, a major game changing decision has gone against Hibs when they are playing Rangers. It happens too regularly. It’s not a red card and it categorically wouldn’t have been if one of their players played the ball like that..

Hibs winning at Ibrox, straight red for a 50/50 from a west coast ref who likes to send players off against Rangers, all while none of us could buy a ticket.

For what it’s worth, Jack Ross appears to “swallow the narrative” as well, considering time and time again he allows Gerrard to talk about Porteous… soft touch this club…

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobosz83 View Post
    Calling people like myself “patronising” then going on to patronise Hibs fans being “sucked in by social media”…. A tad hypocritical.

I’m pissed off as yet again, a major game changing decision has gone against Hibs when they are playing Rangers. It happens too regularly. It’s not a red card and it categorically wouldn’t have been if one of their players played the ball like that..

Hibs winning at Ibrox, straight red for a 50/50 from a west coast ref who likes to send players off against Rangers, all while none of us could buy a ticket.

For what it’s worth, Jack Ross appears to “swallow the narrative” as well, considering time and time again he allows Gerrard to talk about Porteous… soft touch this club…
    Do you understand irony?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShetlandHibby View Post
    What’s this ridiculous chat about smear campaigns against Porto and Boyle?? Two things

Porto dives into tackles that in this day and age are not allowed and risk red cards. This is true as it’s happened quite a few times now.
    Boyle does have a tendency to go down easy. Love him but he does like a wee dive now and again.
    The chat about smear campaigns is that there are other players that do similar or worse than these two who are not called out on sportscene and sportsound as doing so because pundits and presenters are scared of saying it e.g if they play for OF or Hearts for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Porteous has had two straight red cards, both against Rangers, both with the same referee (iirc).

This isn’t a trend in Porto’s behaviour that’s getting him in bother.
    It was never a red but he needs to learn with this referee he needs to be careful.

Walsh clearly has an issue with Porto tackles so needs to stay on his feet.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post

Gerrard: I don't know why there is any reason that he wants to go in with that intent.It's the second time that he has done it against us."
    The whole country knows why pal but just you keep the blinkers on to to the fact that your club and team, and everything they stand for, is the most hated in Scotland.
    Having said that, my green-tinted specs are off and I agree that his tackle potentially endangers the The Hun player cos his studs are up and over the ball, therefore it is more red than yellow and given the circumstances it is not surprising which way the ref leaned.
    Loads of folk on here are still watching and commenting on the game as if it was plenty-five years ago when that would have been hailed by all as a world class challenge.
    Do I want Hibs players going in with 110% commitment to get to and then win every 50/50 ball? Absolutely and I commend Porto for doing that, especially when there was a real risk that the The Hun would be running through on goal had he won the challenge. Keep doing that Porto. But in future just don't go over the ball and keep the studs down.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    If you're flying in like that then you're giving the referee a decision to make. He didn't have to.
    Referees get paid to make the right decision. And porto has to get there early, otherwise he's more likely to catch Aribo.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    It’s the referees job to make decisions, giving him one to make doesn’t excuse him getting the decision wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by ShetlandHibby View Post
    What’s this ridiculous chat about smear campaigns against Porto and Boyle?? Two things

Porto dives into tackles that in this day and age are not allowed and risk red cards. This is true as it’s happened quite a few times now.
    Boyle does have a tendency to go down easy. Love him but he does like a wee dive now and again.
    Go on then.

List all the times Porto has dived into tackles?
    List all the times Boyle had dived?

Bet you can’t. There’s a smell in this thread.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Go on then.

List all the times Porto has dived into tackles?
    List all the times Boyle had dived?

Bet you can’t. There’s a smell in this thread.
    That depends on whether you are wanting matches, dates, and the time during the game that it happened. It has happened though.

Porteous can be rash with his challenges, and by that I mean diving in with a tackle when he doesn’t need to, but he’s a decent defender so can get away with it most of the time. In my opinion it’s his decision making that is the issue, not so much that he dives in. Nothing wrong with a good sliding tackle, it’s just knowing when it’s the right thing to do.

Boyle’s reputation is unwarranted, IMO, because he is continually targeted by defenders because of his pace and trickery. It’s almost as if he has to anticipate being continually fouled, and on occasion that results in him going down with minimal contact. If he didn’t try to ride some of the challenges put in on him I reckon he’d be out half the season with injury. Unfortunately, the times that he does go down with minimal contact are often singled out and highlighted on the TV, so the reputation is there.

That’s just my opinion of course, and I think ShetlandHibby should also be able to express his without the accusation.
    Last edited by StevieC; 04-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.