hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It was inevitable we’d get a red card against us as we were leading at Ibrox.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Personally I think Porteous has been having a good season, he has cut the rashness out of his game so my answer is a decisive

NO

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was anyone else worried before the match?
    No. He’s matured a lot this season. That tackle today was silly and he didn’t even need to slide in but I will not be hounding him for it. He gave the ref all he needed to send him off. These things happen.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Coaching Staff
    If we are still there and there abouts when we next play them, I'd seriously consider not playing him from the start. Sad - and almost pandering to them - but it's an absolute given the Rangers press will lead into the game saying 'strong referee required' and references to Porto. Don't give the ref that easy opportunity, as Ryan will probably rise to the bait.

@hibs.net private member
    I didn't think he would get sent off at the start of the game. And I'm not swallowing any "narrative" not matter how juvenile that comment is.

However, it was an extremely rash challenge from Porto and he does have a bit of previous history of this. I even said after the St Johnstone game that there was a couple of times he was trying to impose himself on Kane instead of just winning the ball.

These types of tackles have cost him long spells out of the game with injury and he doesn't appear to be learning that lesson

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    It wasn't inevitable at all.....but Ryan still has this in his game. We saw it against Livi (maybe) a few weeks ago when he dived into one.

He needed to be solid and controlled for 90 minutes today and he wasn't

He has been excellent this season so far, but being suckered into that challenge shows he isn't the finished article yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    In fairness to him it's not exactly a clear cut decision either way, some angles look completely innocuous including the main live TV angle but then others look like his leg is straight with studs up and his foot is completely over the ball with more force than is needed to win the ball fairly.

The more I look at it I honestly can't tell if it's a red or a clean tackle. My opinion changes every camera angle ...
    Maybe factor in...Where are we? Who are we playing, no fans, 50,000 anti-racist bigots barking blood...Do the Math! Lol!

Having watched it on Sportscene I think it was an unnecessary sliding tackle and warranted the red card.

Given the toxic atmosphere, he should have been wary of petulance, particularly immediately following Morelos' push on him just prior to the sending-off. Trouble with Ryan is, he's not a naïve youngster any more but persists in making rash decisions, something which will affect the level of game he plays at if he ever leaves Hibs or wants to play on the international stage.

What’s this ridiculous chat about smear campaigns against Porto and Boyle?? Two things

Porto dives into tackles that in this day and age are not allowed and risk red cards. This is true as it’s happened quite a few times now.
    Boyle does have a tendency to go down easy. Love him but he does like a wee dive now and again.

Porto didn't get himself sent off Nick Walsh did it.

Yellow card maybe if that for Porto, not a red.

Quote Originally Posted by e2los View Post
    Porto didn't get himself sent off Nick Walsh shat it.

Yellow card maybe if that for Porto, not a red.

Fixed!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    No.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I've never once said that I thought it was a red.
    Apologies, I'm in angry mode. Apologies again.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Apologies, I'm in angry mode. Apologies again.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The guy's been stamped on by the guy who later scored the winner that day and had a goal ruled off wrongly in the last two games against them. A joke red card was the next logical step.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Was it inevitable that Porto would get himself sent off?

This train of thought is pretty much exactly what the referee had. A reputation (disproportionately levelled at him) that goes before him and is not treated on a level playing field than his peers because of that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Morelos caught Porto with an elbow in the back earlier in the game. The two of them have been at war for a while now. Constantly winding each other up!

Morelos won the battle today I’m afraid.

The answer to the question……YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Was it inevitable that Porto would get himself sent off?

This train of thought is pretty much exactly what the referee had. A reputation (disproportionately levelled at him) that goes before him and is not treated on a level playing field than his peers because of that.
    Absolutely this. They have properly singled him out over a prolonged period of time. So much so that his own manager, and elements of his own support, now seem to have bought in to it.

I’m usually pretty critical of Hibs players when they’ve made a mistake but I feel bloody sorry for him tonight. I think he’s been hung out to dry.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Absolutely this. They have properly singled him out over a prolonged period of time. So much so that his own manager, and elements of his own support, now seem to have bought in to it.

I’m usually pretty critical of Hibs players when they’ve made a mistake but I feel bloody sorry for him tonight. I think he’s been hung out to dry.

Couldn’t agree more

Sportscene didn’t even question the offside goal

On the show 2 ex rangers players

Just about sums them up

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Was anyone else worried before the match?
    Pity you didn't start a thread before game saying that he would get himself sent off today, really easy after it actually happens.

Bizarrely, before kick off I just knew that Hibs would be leading one nil after ten minutes, Nisbet scoring from a Cadden cross, just didn't think to mention earlier.

I don’t think he did anything wrong today but I’m not sure we can play him at Hampden now. He wasn’t sent off for the tackle today. He was sent off because of who he is, who he was tackling and because of everything that has built up. It’ll have went up another 10 levels on the back of today. They’ll outnumber us 3 or 4 to 1 at Hampden and be all over whatever joker is refereeing as soon as he makes any kind of challenge.

Given what’s gone on before with Porteous against Rangers and Gerrards comments at the time, pretty much certain that Gerrard has been in the refs ear before the match about it. Just telling him to watch for strong tackles etc. Seed planted and ref happy to oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Spot on.

I feel bad for him because he’s never going to get any favours up here since the Buns have created the media fury and this reputation for him now. I wouldn’t blame him for wanting a move down south where he can shine and fulfill his potential and hopefully for Scotland also. I’d not want him to leave obviously but I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

The Hun have succeeded in giving him this reputation through a prolonged period of media scrutiny and causing scenes at matches and it may well just ruin his career.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I wish Jack Ross hadn't have sat on the fence, backed his player, called out the simulation and told Gerrard to keep his mouth shut about our players.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I wish Jack Ross hadn't have sat on the fence, backed his player, called out the simulation and told Gerrard to keep his mouth shut about our players.
    You're assuming that he thinks Porteous is blameless. I think the fact that he hasn't backed his player on this actually tells you how he feels about how Ryan went into that tackle.

Thanks for the excellent responses (bar one or two predictable attacks from the self-appointed Net police.)

I didn’t think it was inevitable that Ryan would be dismissed as I hoped that he was too mature to lose judgement during such a critical game. But regardless of what any of us think of the refereeing, I’d be very surprised if Ryan hasn’t already apologised to Kevin, Jack and the rest of the lads for a tackle he really didn’t have to make.

If none of them were worried about him before a game against Rangers, I wonder how they are going to feel before the semifinal?

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Last time Nick Walsh reffed this fixture he sent Ryan off for the tackle in the link. Ryan perhaps needed to be a bit cleverer here.

I don’t think it’s a red but if a ref has sent you off before then you need to make sure you are squeaky clean, if he has thought the original red was malicious he may well have had it in the back of his mind when sending him off today.

https://youtu.be/By4azk6RbCk/?t=05m19s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    that's four yellows and a red in the first 8 league games, he really needs to cool it

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Inevitable? No
    Surprised? No

If he wants to be top player and the lad has ability, he really needs to sort his decision making. Thats quite often the difference between a good player and a great player.