hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Mackay's history, it's difficult to know if there is anything that would be unacceptable in his opinion.

And if you look at his history, he took a course on diversity and equality after his texts came to light. That should make him very aware that this is an important matter, so he has to be careful what to say and how to say it. Did he actually learn anything on the course, or was it just a token gesture on his part?

Neither of us know what was said by the fan, so neither of us is in any position to agree or disagree with either Courts or Mackay, but surely we can agree that the appropriate response is that it's important to investigate what happened?
    He also hasn't shown any contrition for his previous behaviour. It was a total non-apology.

I remember him citing that course 'I probably know more about it than most now so let's just leave it' was his attitude. Except most of us don't need a course to know what he said, on several occasions, was vile.
    Last edited by hibby rae; 03-10-2021 at 11:00 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm not sure this has been handled well by either side, TBH.

If Mackay really did speak to a steward, and the steward said it was a swear word but not a racist comment, then he'd have been better just keeping his mouth shut and passing on the steward's name to his bosses.

I'm also not really sure what benefit it was to hold up an anti-racism T-shirt to the County support, as it comes over (to me, at least) that you're tarring the whole support as being involved in any racist incident.

However, that's more of a heat-of-the-moment thing, and maybe emotions just got the better of him. Unlike Mackay, who given his history, should have kept well out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I abhor racism and intolerance and it should be called out whenever it surfaces.

However, Mackay hasn't said anything racist and he's not defending racist comments. He's saying that his club's fan's have been stitched up and blamed for something they didn't do.

If Hibs fans were falsely accused of racist shouts, we'd expect the club to defend us, or at least question, the allegation before condemning us.

Even saying that the matter will be investigated would be tantamount to confirmation that it happened.

Mackay, no doubt, previously earned his racist credentials, but it seems a bit unfair to criticise him this time.
    If he's saying that the Ross County fans are being "blamed for something they didn't do" then he's denying it.

The correct response would be to say that racism is unacceptable, he would be shocked if one of his team's fans had made such a comment, and it is important to have a thorough investigation to establish what happened.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I

I'm also not really sure what benefit it was to hold up an anti-racism T-shirt to the County support, as it comes over (to me, at least) that you're tarring the whole support as being involved in any racist incident.
    Totally agree with this and it’s a dangerous game we’re starting to play now.

I remember feeling aggrieved when ‘Hibs fans’ were being piled in on after one old guy allegedly got captured on camera giving a black Hearts player abuse.

The English media seem to be looking to tar whole countries with one brush at the moment when they go abroad with the England football team. I don’t see how this helps.

Racism is and always has been about individuals and how they’re brought up. I’m going to guess that there are as many racists in the Dundee Utd support (probably very few) as there are in the Ross County support.

If I had some guy waving an anti racism banner at me because of the actions of a fellow fan I’d be more than hacked off.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

However, that's more of a heat-of-the-moment thing, and maybe emotions just got the better of him. Unlike Mackay, who given his history, should have kept well out of this.
    I can't claim to know exactly what Courts meant, but from the message on the t-shirt and the way he went about it, it looked to me like he was trying to get the message across that it's up to fans to call out racism amongst their fellow supporters. Which he would be right about. He's certainly grown in my estimation thanks to his actions yesterday.

On the other hand Mackay has shown has shown that's he's learned **** all and seems quite content with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Totally agree with this and it’s a dangerous game we’re starting to play now.

I remember feeling aggrieved when ‘Hibs fans’ were being piled in on after one old guy allegedly got captured on camera giving a black Hearts player abuse.

The English media seem to be looking to tar whole countries with one brush at the moment when they go abroad with the England football team. I don’t see how this helps.

Racism is and always has been about individuals and how they’re brought up. I’m going to guess that there are as many racists in the Dundee Utd support (probably very few) as there are in the Ross County support.

If I had some guy waving an anti racism banner at me because of the actions of a fellow fan I’d be more than hacked off.
    I'd be hacked off at the fellow fan in the stand, not the guy calling him, and/or other fans if they heard and did nothing, out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    I can't claim to know exactly what Courts meant, but from the message on the t-shirt and the way he went about it, it looked to me like he was trying to get the message across that it's up to fans to call out racism amongst their fellow supporters. Which he would be right about. He's certainly grown in my estimation thanks to his actions yesterday.

On the other hand Mackay has shown has shown that's he's learned **** all and seems quite content with that.
    After both sets of officials had agreed there was no racism, Courts made a complete tit of himself. He should apologise to Ross County's supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    I'd be hacked off at the fellow fan in the stand, not the guy calling him, and/or other fans if they heard and did nothing, out for it.
    What about the fans that literally didn’t hear anything and had not a clue what was going on?

Maybe some of the RC fans actually had done something?

Obviously any decent person is hacked off at racism but him waving that t-shirt at their full support with an accusing look just wasn’t the right way to deal with it. Why should the spotlight be put on a couple of hundred people because of the alleged actions of 1?

I wouldn't have an issue with a random holding up an anti-racism t-shirt at me as I was bringing home the messages. It only upsets you if you are one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I wouldn't have an issue with a random holding up an anti-racism t-shirt at me as I was bringing home the messages. It only upsets you if you are one.
    Only a matter of time 🙄

Listen pal - there is nobody more anti racist than I am … hence the reason I don’t need somebody waving a t-shirt in my face telling me not to be racist.

The Utd manager had good intent but it’s poor that you can’t make a comment on whether he took the right course of action without somebody implying you must be racist if you don’t think he did.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't think Ross County are doing themselves any favours here. They seem intent on denying the racial abuse dished out by one of their fans. Dundee United and their player appear utterly convinced about the incident. This isn't the first time either that Ross County have had the finger pointed at them for racist abuse either. I used to travel to the Highlands and I know there are a good few knuckle draggers up there. They are definitely not immune to this, whether they like it or not.

They'd be better accepting the report passed to the police and working with them to identify and rid themselves of this evil.

The more they deny, the more they will lose the plaudits.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk