hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar

York - recommendations please

As the title says…

Wife’s going to York with a few pals at the start of October and is looking for recommendations on decent places for a meal, also drinks/cocktails. Has already booked something called Pairings I believe for the Friday.

Will be staying in Piccadilly but not sure how big York is as to what’s easiest to get to.

Tried TripAdvisor and that sort of stuff already but a lot of them seem to be larger chain establishments.

And thoughts appreciated 👍🏻

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I live in York. It's not big, but it's lovely.

Pairings is very nice. I've only had wine and hor d'oeuvres there but they might offer more substantial plates.

I always recommend Il Paradiso del Cibo, an Italian restaurant which is only 5 minutes from Piccadilly.

It's an authentic Sardinian place, totally informal with the best specials board ever. I never eat off the menu!

She must book though. Mention my name. I'll PM you if she books it.

A great place for cocktails would be Sora, the sky bar at Malmaison. It's probably about a 10 minute walk from Piccadilly.

Anything else, just ask.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Not sure if it's her thing but I am into craft beer/drink and I order from The House of Trembling Madness regularly from York. I think they have a couple of decent bars to go to for beer/wines and they do food. Get pretty good reviews online

Quote Originally Posted by ac1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if it's her thing but I am into craft beer/drink and I order from The House of Trembling Madness regularly from York. I think they have a couple of decent bars to go to for beer/wines and they do food. Get pretty good reviews online
    Was there in June, worth a visit and very central, 5 mins walk from the Minster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    As the title says…

Wife’s going to York with a few pals at the start of October and is looking for recommendations on decent places for a meal, also drinks/cocktails. Has already booked something called Pairings I believe for the Friday.

Will be staying in Piccadilly but not sure how big York is as to what’s easiest to get to.

Tried TripAdvisor and that sort of stuff already but a lot of them seem to be larger chain establishments.

And thoughts appreciated 👍🏻

She will be smack bank in the middle of it all. TBH there were 10s if not 100s of bars to choose from. Imagine the grassmarket, cowgate, Rose Street etc and that's how the whole town centre felt. Great place to visit. We stayed outside the walks and if thet walk towards the Micklegate there are loads of bars and places to eat too.

Of they like Thai and dont' mind walking 10 mins from the centre I would recommend Ta Tien which was great value and very authentic, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Was there in June, worth a visit and very central, 5 mins walk from the Minster.
    Always quite fancied going to York but never got round to it. Looks a nice place

Brew York is a local brewery and bar and eatery and it's much superior to the HOTM. It's next door to Il Paradiso del Cibo on Walmgate.

Check out its website.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Brew York is a local brewery and bar and eatery and it's much superior to the HOTM. It's next door to Il Paradiso del Cibo on Walmgate.

Check out its website.
    Will take your word for it on the bar and eatery as I haven't been in either of them...... Brew York's beers are always a bit hit and miss for me though - like some of them not so keen on others!

Just had a look at the Brew York tap room on the website -looks cracking to be fair!
    Last edited by ac1; 14-09-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Always quite fancied going to York but never got round to it. Looks a nice place
    We enjoyed it so much we hope to go back soon. Decent value too. Train is maybe a bit pricey, but depends where you're staying. We stayed a little further out in a place called Acomb. 20 mins walk to centre of town/train station etc, or £5 in a taxi.

Probably not relevant for this trip but just in case.. it's my favourite racecourse of anywhere I've been (including Cheltenham). Brilliant day out.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Love York and all of HR’s recommendations were outstanding when we last visited. Will return probably next year now.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Probably not relevant for this trip but just in case.. it's my favourite racecourse of anywhere I've been (including Cheltenham). Brilliant day out.
    Agreed. Absolutely brilliant racecourse, something for everyone and never feels overcrowded like some of the other big venues.

Can't really add anything to what has been suggested by others above as it's all great advice. York is a great city, I really have to get back soon.

Actually I would suggest the Rook and Gaskill, I don't think that has been mentioned. Great beer selection.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    We enjoyed it so much we hope to go back soon. Decent value too. Train is maybe a bit pricey, but depends where you're staying. We stayed a little further out in a place called Acomb. 20 mins walk to centre of town/train station etc, or £5 in a taxi.
    I stay in Dunbar so direct trains I think in 2-3 hours. Definitely going to try and make it down there at some point

@hibs.net private member
    It’s been about 15 years since I worked in York and can only remember 1 pub, The Hole in The Wall, decent wee boozer but not sure it’s up your wife’s street.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    It’s been about 15 years since I worked in York and can only remember 1 pub, The Hole in The Wall, decent wee boozer but not sure it’s up your wife’s street.
    Is that the one with the low ceilings and bit outside through the back? That's the one I always remember anyway

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Obliged to everyone for all the recommendations. They've been passed on and it's now up to her to decide

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I live in York. It's not big, but it's lovely.

Pairings is very nice. I've only had wine and hor d'oeuvres there but they might offer more substantial plates.

I always recommend Il Paradiso del Cibo, an Italian restaurant which is only 5 minutes from Piccadilly.

It's an authentic Sardinian place, totally informal with the best specials board ever. I never eat off the menu!

She must book though. Mention my name. I'll PM you if she books it.

A great place for cocktails would be Sora, the sky bar at Malmaison. It's probably about a 10 minute walk from Piccadilly.

Anything else, just ask.
    We are going down for a few days at end October. Staying at Hotel Du Vin & Bistro at The Mount. Any good HR ? Is it quite close to centre ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I like that place too.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    We are going down for a few days at end October. Staying at Hotel Du Vin & Bistro at The Mount. Any good HR ? Is it quite close to centre ?
    Yes, you'll enjoy that. It's just outside of Micklegate and not too far from the racecourse.

York is a brilliant city centre to walk around because it's quite small.

If it's decent weather, I'd recommend a walk around the city walls.

Anything else, just ask.