hibs.net Messageboard

Page 82 of 423 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 12675
    @hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is good though.
    Who would you replace this young prospect, international call up under his belt, regular starter in a fairly good season....with?
    You’ve just named him up above. Sell him for £1.5m and bring in Jason Kerr for £500k, it wouldn’t take any more than that to bring him in considering he’s only a year left on his deal imo

I actually think the fact Porteous is a “hibs laddie” clouds peoples judgements on his ability

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’d like him to stay, and think he will continue to improve. However for all the players linked with moves he’s probably the “easiest” to replace. Maybe not with someone as comfortable on the ball but, we may want a more dominant no nonsense CB to compliment Hanlon. Basically a younger McGregor.

Selling Porteous might allow us to keep Nisbet & Doig for another year as well as a couple of signings that will help improve the team and help make us more than the sum of our current parts.
    That’s it in a nutshell for me, I’m not sure where that no nonsense CB is coming from unless we are hoping Darren’s legs and knees last another season.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    You’ve just named him up above. Sell him for £1.5m and bring in Jason Kerr for £500k, it wouldn’t take any more than that to bring him in imo
    Why don’t the teams interested in Porteous go for Kerr instead?

Sounds like a better player for £1m less?!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Probably a similar reason no St Johnstone players are in the Scotland squad despite them doing a domestic double

Out with that I’m no too sure but I know who I’d prefer, imo of course

You’ve just named him up above. Sell him for £1.5m and bring in Jason Kerr for £500k, it wouldn’t take any more than that to bring him in considering he’s only a year left on his deal imo

I actually think the fact Porteous is a “hibs laddie” clouds peoples judgements on his ability
    I never named him 90+2 did, I only replied. We won’t get him for that money IMO and we won’t be the only ones looking at him either. Like I said I think it’s a bit of fantasy.
    I’m not clouded on his ability. Ryan Porteous is a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Nail. Heed.

I never named him 90+2 did, I only replied. We won’t get him for that money IMO and we won’t be the only ones looking at him either. Like I said I think it’s a bit of fantasy.
    We won’t need to pay anymore than half a million for a player with a year left on his deal imo. I’d be surprised if he’s sold for anymore than that unless he signs a new deal with them

I’m not arguing about whether or not Porteous is a good player, I just reckon he’s replaceable is all

I honestly doubt St Johnstone will get north of £500,000 for a 24 year old centre half who had never played at a higher level or been in a Scotland squad and who can sign a pre contract in January.

Infact I think you'd probably ultimately get him for a bit less than that with add ons for appearances ect.

Nail. Heed.
    Football doesn't work like that though does it.

Why did Celtic sign Marvin Sved instead of John McGinn for less? Why did they sign Barkas for 4.5 million instead of Rocky for a fraction of that? They'll be countless examples of players that have signed for more than counterparts but turned out to worse signings.

Ryan is a good player but the initial question was who could we realistically sign to replace him. I think a decent answer to that query has been provided.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 11-06-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Well according to Arsnal fans they are telling the club to pay the tiny fee of 5 million for doig . So i think you can up your estimate . I know some are saying he wont go there but i dont beleive he could turn down a move he will be made for life. Coincidently would also be So similar to hibs in and out of the side when tierney is injured which is quite a bit .
    What a move for him it would be.
    Porteous i dont beleive hibs will let him go for 1 million thats an under valuation .
    Nisbet well 4 million seems to be reasonable money for him.
    So for me sell nisbet and doig keep the rest and bring in some class with our 9 million kitty.
    Ps if man utd are interested in john mcginn you can add another 3 million or so as seems to be the rumour .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    I genuinely think Doig is happy to wait another year with us He is a confident guy who knows what he wants snd he can get a move to the club of his choice if he continues his progress with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really don't get it with all this Jason Kerr talk.
    Yes he is a reasonably good player, however the system the Saints play, a back 5 with two sitting midfelders who give the centre halves great protection, wouldn't have to be outstanding to play c/ h for them. Would Kerr cut it in a different formation? I have my doubts. Just my opinion.

or we could

Sell Doig for 5 million and buy Arron Hicky for 3- Man I would love to just see that.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Shanley on loan to Edinburgh city
    Good move for Ryan. Think City could be favourites to go up
    He needs to get some games under his belt, hasn’t played a lot in the last year or so
    Noticed Josh Campbell was in the SPFL league 2 team of the year
    Wonder where he’ll be
    I much prefer Hibs sent boys on loan to a local club

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Good move for Ryan. Think City could be favourites to go up
    He needs to get some games under his belt, hasn’t played a lot in the last year or so
    Noticed Josh Campbell was in the SPFL league 2 team of the year
    Wonder where he’ll be
    I much prefer Hibs sent boys on loan to a local club
    Would imagine Kelty will be favourites. Think Edinburgh City have lost a number of players.

They've been unlucky that Cove, Queens Park and now Kelty have all had huge budgets to win that league.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Yes he is a reasonably good player, however the system the Saints play, a back 5 with two sitting midfelders who give the centre halves great protection, wouldn't have to be outstanding to play c/ h for them. Would Kerr cut it in a different formation? I have my doubts. Just my opinion.

I'm with you on this. There's a reason the younger player Porteous has double the number of Kerr's under age caps, has had a Scotland call up & been subject of bids from the English Champonship & Jason K has not. It's quite simple, the perceived wisdom in football circles is simply that Ryan is the better player & prospect. Unless you're on Hibs Net where at times it seems almost mandatory to knock our players & praise those players of our competitors. As Joni Mitchell said, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone".

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Would imagine Kelty will be favourites. Think Edinburgh City have lost a number of players.

They've been unlucky that Cove, Queens Park and now Kelty have all had huge budgets to win that league.
    Still think City will be around top 2 places
    Think they are looking to add a few full timers to their books
    A load of ex Hibees players still involved, might try and go to see them next season, if allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    Sell Doig for 5 million and buy Arron Hicky for 3- Man I would love to just see that.
    Prefer to buy young potential from the lower leagues somewhere for 250,000 and sell him for 5M in two years time personally. If we can do it once, we can do it again....

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Sometimes a player needs an opportunity to prove whether or not they can do it though.

He ticks an awful lot of boxes. Some say we lack leadership and whilst I would dispute this point, it can't be denied that our current leaders are getting on a bit and we probably need to have an eye on who is likely to succeed them.

Darren McGregor hasn't always had the most football about him but it can't be denied that he's been a superb signing for us. The art of being able to defend is often overlooked in defenders in favour of other features these days.

Plus - Kerr is a Hibs fan. It's always nice having at least one or two of those in our team.

I think he's played well enough in whichever formation he's played in to merit an opportunity to show what he can do. TBH I've not seen anything to suggest he wouldn't be capable but I accept that every signing is a risk and there's always the chance he might not cut it.

I'd be absolutely blown away if he ended up giving more goals away than Porteous though.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I'm with you on this. There's a reason the younger player Porteous has double the number of Kerr's under age caps, has had a Scotland call up & been subject of bids from the English Champonship & Jason K has not. It's quite simple, the perceived wisdom in football circles is simply that Ryan is the better player & prospect. Unless you're on Hibs Net where at times it seems almost mandatory to knock our players & praise those players of our competitors. As Joni Mitchell said, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone".
    Porteous has the greater potential, albeit he's not there yet.

What it might yet boil down to though is which one actually would want to play for Hibs and how much that desire would affect their performances. I reckon Porteous wants to be elsewhere and if he wound up playing for us next season he'd be pissed off, distracted and probably worse than he was last season. If Kerr were to join it would be a step up, he'd be playing for a bigger club and it would be an opportunity he'd be grateful for. I think that would show on the pitch.

Porteous needs his move in order to kick on as a player. A Championship wage, new coaches, other players around him and I think he'd have the freshness he needs to fulfil his potential. He's only going to regress where he is.

Kerr might reach that stage, he might not.

I fully accept that Porteous is a good player and has bucketloads of potential. His head has outgrown us though.

We won’t need to pay anymore than half a million for a player with a year left on his deal imo. I’d be surprised if he’s sold for anymore than that unless he signs a new deal with them

I’m not arguing about whether or not Porteous is a good player, I just reckon he’s replaceable is all
    Im not arguing either I only asked a question about a replacement. As I’ve already said, someone else said Jason Kerr was the possible replacement, I’m saying there will be more than us looking at him, if indeed we are.
    Hibs.net was going spare in January at the thought of Porteous leaving, I don’t see what’s changed.
    All players are replaceable of course they are, we need to fill 11 jerseys and have done so for ever. It’s whether we get a better replacement is the question, better than Ryan Porteous. The only name I’m seeing is double cup winner, team of the season man, Jason Kerr.
    Who could probably treble his money tomorrow at Peterborough or somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

What it might yet boil down to though is which one actually would want to play for Hibs and how much that desire would affect their performances. I reckon Porteous wants to be elsewhere and if he wound up playing for us next season he'd be pissed off, distracted and probably worse than he was last season. If Kerr were to join it would be a step up, he'd be playing for a bigger club and it would be an opportunity he'd be grateful for. I think that would show on the pitch.

Porteous needs his move in order to kick on as a player. A Championship wage, new coaches, other players around him and I think he'd have the freshness he needs to fulfil his potential. He's only going to regress where he is.

I fully accept that Porteous is a good player and has bucketloads of potential. His head has outgrown us though.
    Is that not all in your head too though Smartie? An opinion?
    If he’s outgrown us why would Jason Kerr not think bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Football doesn't work like that though does it.

Why did Celtic sign Marvin Sved instead of John McGinn for less? Why did they sign Barkas for 4.5 million instead of Rocky for a fraction of that? They'll be countless examples of players that have signed for more than counterparts but turned out to worse signings.

Ryan is a good player but the initial question was who could we realistically sign to replace him. I think a decent answer to that query has been provided.
    We’ll have to wait and see what’s realistic and decent.

Of all the Hibs v St Johnstone games, Kerr was by far the better of the 2 players, why is no one else trying to buy Kerr over Porteous I haven't a clue. Porteous should've been pushing strongly for a spot in the Euro squad and the fact he hasn't forced his way into the Scotland set up is telling, still has bad lapses of concentration and still capable of making the odd howler, it doesn't look like he's learning quickly enough to cancel out his mistakes. Maybe he's become complacent at Hibs and needs a new challenge at a bigger club maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Porteous is barely good enough to get a game ahead of veteran Darren McGregor. If he thinks he's outgrown us then he needs a reality check.

Is that not all in your head too though Smartie? An opinion?
    If he’s outgrown us why would Jason Kerr not think bigger?
    Yep, purely an opinion and I'm happy to accept that others are available.

I don't know much about Kerr's character. I haven't heard him give interviews in the aftermath of interest from Championship clubs, unlike Porteous. Kerr might have bigger ideas but as it stands he's at a smaller club - achieving a lot there, but at a smaller club nonetheless. Rather than take the biggest on offer right now, he might fancy that he'd get an opportunity at bigger still if he had a few years at Hibs first? Being at Hibs has helped get Porteous onto the fringes of the Scotland squad, Hanlon has been capped lately, as have Nisbet and Stevenson. Maybe that would help him get a better move in a few years? He'd also be able to tick the "play for club supported as a boy" box, one that Porteous ticked long ago.

Or, he might want to go straight to the ££££££. I just don't know. I do know that we'd offer him a few things that St Johnstone can't.

Do you believe that Porteous would be interested in knuckling down and improving at Hibs? I just don't see it, at some point over the past year part of his head already left imo. Whilst he clearly has very impressive attributes as a player, I've not known a Hibs defender to be so error prone (Benny Brazil being just before my time). I just think his time has come at Hibs and it's now about cashing in. If we could manage to get enough cash to secure Kerr and having something left over, I think we'd have won a watch.

All my opinion, and I'm not saying I'm right.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    All English clubs will have scouts watching every game in Scotland, from the bottom to the top, EVERY game. We dont watch every St Johnstone game, but we do watch them when they play us mostly.

They had our number last season, and that is why we have so many people wanting someone no scout appears to want who's in his last year of his contract i think, over Porteous.

Why would those clubs who send scouts everywhere want the wrong one?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Porteous is barely good enough to get a game ahead of veteran Darren McGregor. If he thinks he's outgrown us then he needs a reality check.
    Porteous will be a top player and people will want to retract some of the statements about him in years to come. I’ve never know why some people have to be so negative to a player especially one of our own, some of the criticism he’s came in for is embarrassing. Yea he’s made mistakes as have plenty others but these seem to totally overshadow the very good young player he is. To the point of outgrowing us, I’ve never seen him say this so not sure what that’s all about but one things for sure he will end up at a bigger club than ours before his career ends.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Porteous will be a top player and people will want to retract some of the statements about him in years to come. I’ve never know why some people have to be so negative to a player especially one of our own, some of the criticism he’s came in for is embarrassing. Yea he’s made mistakes as have plenty others but these seem to totally overshadow the very good young player he is. To the point of outgrowing us, I’ve never seen him say this so not sure what that’s all about but one things for sure he will end up at a bigger club than ours before his career ends.
    That’s the post of today … the stick the laddie has been getting is horrific

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    All English clubs will have scouts watching every game in Scotland, from the bottom to the top, EVERY game. We dont watch every St Johnstone game, but we do watch them when they play us mostly.

They had our number last season, and that is why we have so many people wanting someone no scout appears to want who's in his last year of his contract i think, over Porteous.

Not specifically regarding Porteous but you do realise scouts get things wrong? Shane Duffy? The Nigerian left back Hearts had? Josh Vela?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

They might be looking for something different.

The Championship is a very physical league. Porteous is a bit bigger than Kerr for a start, so that might make him more desirable to them.

Porteous and Kerr aren't exactly the same, like for like player and I'd imagine one club might want one whereas another club would want another, depending on how they play, who they already have etc.

If it was all about which player I'd rather have in a Hibs team with a view to winning football games then I'd rather have Kerr at the moment. I don't know if he has the same sell on potential as Porteous so if it came down to wanting to have a player who was an asset worth money then I'd probably rather have Porteous.