hibs.net Messageboard

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Joma kits

Is this not just yet another mountain out of a molehill situation where a few extreme views are being projected as somehow being representative of more than 1 or 2 people?

A question was asked about the thistle. I wondered about it as well because it's not something I'd seen on a Hibs strip before. Not because I have any great issue with a Scottish emblem on our shirts, not because I love Celtic and want a man in a balaclava holding an AK47 on our shirt. Just because in my lifetime it's new and different. A few people more knowledgeable than me have advised there is historical precedent for it so I've learned something. Great, I know something I didn't know this morning and it's a smart addition to our shirt.

No big deal really and I'm sure the vast, vast majority of people who were curious about it feel the same way.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Have to see it in the flesh before I buy it to play walking football in ...... I have so many Hbs tops I might hold off to see what the 2nd & 3rd strips look like coz even I get fed up playing in green all the time ... a nice white top would be good.

As for the thistle ... nice touch, I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry but in this day and age, the shamrock clearly represents a different club. I'd be raging if it were on our kit
    No it doesn't. Celtic badge is a four leaf clover, not a shamrock. Shamrock is three leaves, a symbol of Ireland and absolutely nothing to do with Celtic.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...crests-3180758

Some info on our badge history (mentions the Thistle badge)

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is this not just yet another mountain out of a molehill situation where a few extreme views are being projected as somehow being representative of more than 1 or 2 people?

A question was asked about the thistle. I wondered about it as well because it's not something I'd seen on a Hibs strip before. Not because I have any great issue with a Scottish emblem on our shirts, not because I love Celtic and want a man in a balaclava holding an AK47 on our shirt. Just because in my lifetime it's new and different. A few people more knowledgeable than me have advised there is historical precedent for it so I've learned something. Great, I know something I didn't know this morning and it's a smart addition to our shirt.

No big deal really and I'm sure the vast, vast majority of people who were curious about it feel the same way.
    You'll know better than me and I find the whole emblem thing fascinating but aren't mountains out of molehills good for the forum concept?

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    No it doesn't. Celtic badge is a four leaf clover, not a shamrock. Shamrock is three leaves, a symbol of Ireland and absolutely nothing to do with Celtic.
    Oh I remember as a lad.... "ROAMING IN THE GLOAMING WITH A SHAMROCK IN MY HAND, ROAMING IN THE GLOAMING WITH ST PATRICKS FENIAN BAND.....AND WHEN THE MUSIC STOPS! **** KING BILLY AND JOHN KNOX!!!!!!"

Can't just have been me

Can’t complain at this kit it’s something different and I really can’t wait to see the away and 3rd kit.

Also looks like we are back to our normal sizes which is a plus.

So while we were worried about how 'bespoke' our kits would be, turns out Joma did more research into Hibs than most fans have

@hibs.net private member

Brilliant post. Exactly what’s needed to be said. 👏👏👏

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Also an excellent comment. If someone has a beef then at least they should have the facts in order first. 👍🏻
    Not that I’m keen to see a shamrock on the shirt but at least people should know what one looks like 😄

Like the new sunshine on leith t-shirts.

First Team Breakthrough
    Belter of a kit, actually quite like the thistle as well. Smart and nice to have something bespoke with personal touches.

I've never understood this whole 'different club in this day and age' thing regarding our Irish roots. Why can't we equally be as proud of our historic roots as our core Scottish identity today?

I think something like a shamrock would have been just as appropriate on the back of the kit as the thistle is - a nod to the early years of our history and a nod to the very folk who founded our club through hardship and impoverishment. Our clubs name is literally an archaic Latin term for Ireland!

First Team Regular
    I dont want a Celtic badge on the Hibs top, but nor do i want ICT or Partick Thistle badge on a Hibs top.

I want a Hibs top to represent the Hibs club and community, which could, and should have been done by using the ship or the harp. Both are valid, and either will be more or less important to different fans, and thats ok. That is a discourse that has been going on among the Hibs support, and illustrates the difficult and complex identity Hibs have.

Adding another random symbol, which is literally the club crest of at least two other league clubs, is bizarre and odd. Hibs are going to be playing with the Partick Thistle or ICT badge on the back of the shirts, and that is just weird.

Clubs, and branding is supposed to differentiate, so stealing someone else's badge to randomly add to Hibs shirt is even more bizarre.

Ask 10,000 Hibs fans, or fans of any other club in Scotland for emblems they associate with Hibs, and i doubt any would have said a thistle.

Hibs went years of having *****y, meaningless, thoughtless crests, all because someone decided to drop the original crest, the one that the clubs founders chose. For the first time since then, Hibs have something of which the fans (or most fans) are pleased and proud. So use that, not Partick or ICTs badge.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    I dont want a Celtic badge on the Hibs top, but nor do i want ICT or Partick Thistle badge on a Hibs top.

I want a Hibs top to represent the Hibs club and community, which could, and should have been done by using the ship or the harp. Both are valid, and either will be more or less important to different fans, and thats ok. That is a discourse that has been going on among the Hibs support, and illustrates the difficult and complex identity Hibs have.

Adding another random symbol, which is literally the club crest of at least two other league clubs, is bizarre and odd. Hibs are going to be playing with the Partick Thistle or ICT badge on the back of the shirts, and that is just weird.

Clubs, and branding is supposed to differentiate, so stealing someone else's badge to randomly add to Hibs shirt is even more bizarre.

Ask 10,000 Hibs fans, or fans of any other club in Scotland for emblems they associate with Hibs, and i doubt any would have said a thistle.

Hibs went years of having *****y, meaningless, thoughtless crests, all because someone decided to drop the original crest, the one that the clubs founders chose. For the first time since then, Hibs have something of which the fans (or most fans) are pleased and proud. So use that, not Partick or ICTs badge.
    Maybe it's because we are a scottish club.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Seen a Canadian football fan on Twitter admiring our new Kit and at the same time having a go at Canadian club York9 who went with this Macron number

What stock is that?

I'd ask 10000 hibs fans as I wouldn't give a toss about the rest. They'd likely say harp, ship, and castle. These are all represented as the Crest hasn't changed.

Your call for another ship doesn't make sense. Or another harp? Are we going for an armada or an orchestra here? They are already represented front and centre and we don't need the overkill.

As it is they've dug out a thistle from somewhere. Either used officially or unofficially. But used. Representative of Scotland and not the sole preserve of Inverness or Partick. They've ran with it so that is that.

If they had changed the actual crest again I'd get the fuss.

Agree entirely. It took us decades to get the Harp back and fiddling with more symbols now, I agree, is bizarre. Unfortunately I think that disconnect is apparent when you see how we approach twitter (discussed elsewhere) and basically most things that link club to fan. A harp, castle or ship in that stitching then we would have been as proud as last years NHS triumphalism. A thistle? Nah.

Left by mutual consent!
    Love it 💚👍

First Team Breakthrough
    I’ve always considered a Thistle a Scottish thing I’m happy with that plus my wee boys team lauriston thistle aswell 👌🏻

First Team Breakthrough
    Ken what we should have had outline of leith lynx on back of the shirt 😂

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Going to reserve judgement on the new home strip until I see it in the flesh. It's a bold attempt at doing something different and hopefully it will be a good seller and make the club some decent cash.

On the inclusion of the thistle, it's no big deal but my first impression was that it is a bit gimmicky and not an emblem I would associate with Hibs. I would prefer Hibernian emblems to more accurately reflect the club's heritage which is much more diverse than purely being a Scottish football club.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Going to reserve judgement on the new home strip until I see it in the flesh. It's a bold attempt at doing something different and hopefully it will be a good seller and make the club some decent cash.

On the inclusion of the thistle, it's no big deal but my first impression was that it is a bit gimmicky and not an emblem I would associate with Hibs. I would prefer Hibernian emblems to more accurately reflect the club's heritage which is much more diverse than purely being a Scottish football club.
    Of course our heritage is a lot more than being a Scottish football team.

But we play in green and white to show our Irish heritage, have the harp, castle and ship on our badge to symbolise our Irish, Edinburgh and Leith heritage.

So why not add a small thistle, an undeniable symbol of Scotland, to show our Scottish heritage?

Totally harmless and a nice touch in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Of course our heritage is a lot more than being a Scottish football team.

But we play in green and white to show our Irish heritage, have the harp, castle and ship on our badge to symbolise our Irish, Edinburgh and Leith heritage.

So why not add a small thistle, an undeniable symbol of Scotland, to show our Scottish heritage?

Totally harmless and a nice touch in my opinion.
    Perfectly summed up for me

Have any other clubs done the street map thing before?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Have any other clubs done the street map thing before?
    Joma with ukraine

I like it, and I like the nod to the Thistle if it is a nod to the 50’s and 60s logo that was used. Two thumbs up from me.

I like the strip and I like the whole thistle business.

Good stuff Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    Joma with ukraine

That was the border of the country no?

Surprised nobody has created a "thistle out" poll 😉

Said before but it's a classy touch for a club representing Scotland in European competition.

I wouldn't have given it a thought if it wasn't pointed out to me . I think the top is a cracker btw.