hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Scotland Starting Line Up

Anybody else think Steve Clarke will go with this starting line against Czech Republic

Marshall

Hendry,McKenna,Tierney

O’Donnel,Robertson

McTominae,McGinn,McGregor

Dykes,Adams

2. Log in to remove the advert

McKenna won’t play. Think he’s about last pick centre half now.

Can't see McKenna starting. Reckon he's probably last in the CB pecking order.

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t watch much English football, the occasional Man Utd game, but if Mctominay was playing for most other clubs would he be getting talked up as much as he does. Based on mainly Scotland games I just don’t see anything special from him, appreciate that he maybe does all the ‘unseen work’ that my very basic footballing brain doesn’t appreciate but I’d honestly rather see Armstrong/Turnbull or even Gilmour in the middle of the park before him or Mcgregor for that matter🤔

Hanley will very likely be starting and rightly so IMO. Not sure on the keeper, Gordon has as much chance as Marshall I think.

I'd like Gilmour ahead of McGregor and Fraser or Patterson over O'Donnell, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t watch much English football, the occasional Man Utd game, but if Mctominay was playing for most other clubs would he be getting talked up as much as he does. Based on mainly Scotland games I just don’t see anything special from him, appreciate that he maybe does all the ‘unseen work’ that my very basic footballing brain doesn’t appreciate but I’d honestly rather see Armstrong/Turnbull or even Gilmour in the middle of the park before him or Mcgregor for that matter🤔
    McTominay is a good player but I thought he had a bit of a shocker tonight.

He didn’t look comfortable with what he was being asked to do and where he was picking the ball up.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Anybody else think Steve Clarke will go with this starting line against Czech Republic

Marshall

Hendry,McKenna,Tierney

O’Donnel,Robertson

McTominae,McGinn,McGregor

Dykes,Adams
    I don’t think you’re far off it there.

Hanley will start of McKenna I think.

I can’t really be bothered with all the hype about Gilmore considering his lack of first team football and the fact I’ve not seen him much. I have to admit I was very impressed with him today though, combine that with Mcginn being very effective in an attacking role for Scotland i’d be tempted to bring Gilmore in for Dykes and push Mcginn up a bit.

I don’t think Clarke will do that though.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I think McTominay has had a fantastic season for United. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me for Scotland (Im Engllish that isnt tongue in check btw but an honest assessment) he can be a bit rash but hes a great enforcer and has no mean ability. With SJM thats a half decent midfield.Not sure Gilmour is ready yet but things look promising in that dept for Scotland.

@hibs.net private member
    Marshall or Gordon in goals, think it’s a toss up between them.

Cooper should be starting in the centre of a 3 with Teirney left and Hendry right.

Robertson and Patterson wing backs

Midfield 3 of Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay

Dykes and Adams up front.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    No Cooper or Christie on the bench today, is that a sign that both will start
    Christie hasn’t had a good season at Celtic, and I must admit I’ve hardly seen Cooper play to comment on him
    This was the team when we beat Czech Republic at Hampden in October

1Marshall
    4McTominay
    5Gallagher
    23Considine
    2O'Donnell
    8Jack
    10McGregor
    18Taylor
    7McGinn
    9Dykes
    17Fraser

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post

Cooper should be starting in the centre of a 3 with Teirney left and Hendry right.

Like this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post

I’m not saying you’re wrong but do you think he will play 2 up front? I’m not sure.

If he doesn’t and he plays Mcginn in a more advanced sort of number 10 role, who’s the next midfielder in the queue? I think the fans would say Gilmore as he’s a bit exciting but I wonder if he’d go for Armstrong instead.

@hibs.net private member
    Gordon
    Tierney
    Cooper
    Hendry
    O'Donnell
    Robertson
    Gilmour
    McGinn
    McTominay
    Adams
    Nisbet

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m not saying you’re wrong but do you think he will play 2 up front? I’m not sure.

If he doesn’t and he plays Mcginn in a more advanced sort of number 10 role, who’s the next midfielder in the queue? I think the fans would say Gilmore as he’s a bit exciting but I wonder if he’d go for Armstrong instead.
    He might not go with Dykes and Adams but, if he doesn’t, I think he’ll play Christie. I wouldn’t, think he would though. Armstrong rarely starts for him.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    The team I'd play:

Gordon
    McTominay-Cooper-Tierney
    Forrest-McGregor-McGinn-Robertson
    Armstrong
    Adams-Fraser

The team I think Clarke will play:

Marshall
    Hendry-Hanley-Tierney
    O'Donnel-McTominay-McGregor-Robertson
    McGinn
    Dykes-Adams

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    He might not go with Dykes and Adams but, if he doesn’t, I think he’ll play Christie. I wouldn’t, think he would though. Armstrong rarely starts for him.
    Mctominay and Mcgregor deeper midfielders, Christie and Mcginn more advanced behind Adams?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    It might not be popular because of who he plays for and the amount of game time he's had etc. But I thought Patterson was really good tonight.

I'd definitely have him over O'Donnell and if it's down to who I'd want as a wing back between Patterson and Forrest, Patterson wins for me.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Scotland wont be on the front foot for much of the three group games. The key game is the first match against the Czech Republic, not the emotional fixture against England. Three points could see a third place finish and qualification into the knock out stage. Clarke will pick a team dependant on the situation and opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    It might not be popular because of who he plays for and the amount of game time he's had etc. But I thought Patterson was really good tonight.

I'd definitely have him over O'Donnell and if it's down to who I'd want as a wing back between Patterson and Forrest, Patterson wins for me.
    The problem with Patterson is that I don’t think he’s ever been tested defensively.

O’Donnell looks like a big huddy but he’s never let Scotland down. Patterson hasn’t played much first team football at all, looks like a. Decent prospect but I’m not sure I’d play him.

Clark likes Hanley, he’ll start. Their centre forward Schick is a big lump who likes knock downs and scoring from set pieces. I think Clark will play conservative in the opening game, both teams will play 451 or similar. Personally looking at their poor form Id go for the jugular with an attacking lineup and get the three points.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    The problem with Patterson is that I don’t think he’s ever been tested defensively.

O’Donnell looks like a big huddy but he’s never let Scotland down. Patterson hasn’t played much first team football at all, looks like a. Decent prospect but I’m not sure I’d play him.
    Aw definitely. I actually quite like O'Donnell as well if I'm honest. And I 100% understand starting him over Patterson, and why Clarke will do that.

I suppose it's a lot like Doig starting over Stevenson for us this season. Sometimes you just need to play the player who gives the team more options.

Decent run out tonight but there were a few players who I thought gave lower performances than normal. I didn’t think the midfield were very good at all 1st half ....McGinn and McTominay rushing things and giving the ball away cheaply.. (McGinn particularly poor tonight). Have no idea how McGregor kept his place in the team either.

But I suppose it was a fairly difficult opposition with lots of changes from the Dutch game. Its unlikely the players were going full pelt either with one eye firmly on the opening match.

I really like Armstrong as I think he’s the one player who likes to carry the ball forward from midfield and make things happen. But not sure if Clarke can fit him into his 1st eleven.

A lot of difficult choices to make for Clarke as Turnbull/Gilmour have done their chances no harm...whilst Patterson looks a different Level to O’Donnell with the ball at his feet and going forward. But like others have said, Patterson hasn’t been tested much defensively this year.

I would play Patterson as it would be great having good options to play out with and move forward on both flanks.

But I think Clarke will start O’Donnell as he has more experience and we know Clarke likes to play cautiously,

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I think it might be

Marshall
    Hanley
    Cooper
    Tierney
    O'Donnell
    McTominay
    MacGregor
    McGinn
    Robertson
    Christie
    Dykes

So many options though if things aren't going to plan. McGregor and Christie are not playing well but are clearly Clarke favourites. I have an awful feeling that Gilmour will be kept on the bench then brought in for the Croatia game when we need to win, shades of Souness in '78!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    Gordon
    Tierney
    Cooper
    Hendry
    O'Donnell
    Robertson
    Gilmour
    McGinn
    McTominay
    Adams
    Nisbet
    I got some good quality in there but also players with potential and if they live up that it’s a great team

I want

-----------------------Marshall
    ------------Hendry---Cooper---Tierney
    Patterson--McTom--Gilmour--McGinn--Robbo
    ----------------Adams---Nisbet/Dykes

Though I think McGregor and O'Donnell will probably start I'd prefer we were brave, I think Gilmour and Patterson are better players

Sub in Armstrong if McTom is having an off day, which seems to be fairly often according to man utd fans

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Clark likes Hanley, he’ll start. Their centre forward Schick is a big lump who likes knock downs and scoring from set pieces. I think Clark will play conservative in the opening game, both teams will play 451 or similar. Personally looking at their poor form Id go for the jugular with an attacking lineup and get the three points.
    Pretty sure we've played 3 at the back in every game under Clarke, he ain't changing that now

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I think it might be

Marshall
    Hanley
    Cooper
    Tierney
    O'Donnell
    McTominay
    MacGregor
    McGinn
    Robertson
    Christie
    Dykes

So many options though if things aren't going to plan. McGregor and Christie are not playing well but are clearly Clarke favourites. I have an awful feeling that Gilmour will be kept on the bench then brought in for the Croatia game when we need to win, shades of Souness in '78!
    I think that is the team apart from Hendry and possibly Hanley in the middle. Definitely think Christie will play off Dykes. Think we miss a Jack type of player with defensive nous in the midfield area. Think we need to remember how good we were against Serbia. We need McTominay to be very good as personally would have kept him in central defence.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Pretty sure we've played 3 at the back in every game under Clarke, he ain't changing that now
    Yeah but when you want to be conservative three at the back quickly becomes five at the back and then you end up dropping the second striker deep as well. I just think he’ll want to shut up shop, hope I’m wrong.

I wouldn’t be surprised or too disappointed if tonight’s starting lineup is the one he goes with. He seems keen on playing the two strikers, so hopefully he continues with their physicality against Czech.

Mctominay was probably man u’s best player in their last game (not for first time this season), has in the main been very good for Scotland, and will definitely start. I wouldn’t have McKenna near the starting lineup. And I think he’ll go with Marshall too.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised or too disappointed if tonight’s starting lineup is the one he goes with. He seems keen on playing the two strikers, so hopefully he continues with their physicality against Czech.

Mctominay was probably man u’s best player in their last game (not for first time this season), has in the main been very good for Scotland, and will definitely start. I wouldn’t have McKenna near the starting lineup. And I think he’ll go with Marshall too.
    There is no way he won't go for Marshall in goal, after his heroics in qualifying and the poor showing my Gordon against the Dutch.

We do need a better upcoming option in goal sooner rather than later though.