hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Do you know about the sustainability activities of the Hibs?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 26.19%
  • No

6 14.29%
  • Never heard about it

10 23.81%
  • As they just started last year (and do Covid) I never got in touch with it

15 35.71%

Arrow Perception of the Hibs

Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and to be honest I cannot say that I know a lot about the Hibs as a guy from Germany. I just recently informed myself about the club and I really appreciate what I saw (some crazy fans who are totally into the club). Unfortunately, the first game I was watching was the Scottish Cup final and I think that a lot of you are disappointed at the moment. So I do not know if my inquiry comes at the right time but nevertheless I will try it.
    I am currently working on a research project and I am looking for some help from you. I want to investigate how you as a fan perceive the Hibs in general (e.g. how attached you feel to the club) and how you think about their activities for sustainability (whether you like it or you dislike it - or maybe you never heard about it that the Hibs are/name themselves the greenest club of Scotland). The survey below should take around 10 minutes and it would be great if you could spare the time to answer some questions. All entries are anonymous and the data will be treated confidentially. I would further be happy to share my findings with you if you are interested into the results (this is the last thing I can do). You can find the link here:
    https://tummgmt.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe...tbtYGUk6envyKy

Please feel free to ask me any question and I also look forward to discuss with you what you think about the topic of sustainability and the Hibs?
    Len

Quote Reply

2. Log in to remove the advert

Welcome LenPa. Just filled out the survey there, good luck with your research.

One thing I would point out (that I reflected when answering) was that Hibs introduced their Green pledge right before the COVID pandemic, so we’ve yet to see how this reflects in things like food served at matches etc.

Will be interesting to see any noticeable changes (in an environmental perspective) once fans can get back to the games!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As has been said because of Covid it's hard to answer some of the questions because we have no actual matchday experience to go on in the 20/21 season. Even the 'how many games have you attended in the last 3 years' is a bit skewed because most folk's answer would be higher but for Covid.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Responded.

yup considering things in the UK context - many of us have not been in a stadium for what seems like 2 seasons. So knowing about the environmentally sounder offerings is impossible.

I did find the survey too long and admit zipping through some answers to be met with several more screens was deflating and so some of my answers are not as reflective as they otherwise would have been. If others were like this it invalidates your findings.

Definitions of sustainability - financial / environmental ?

are you planning to do a longitudinal study ? I think timing is a little off for our club at this time awareness levels are likely to be reduced as campaigns to kick in have not really had a chance to have an impact.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    Just done it, quite a lot about the environment in there, good luck and welcome

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Survey done.

Best of luck 👍

Done

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Done 🙂

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Done.

@hibs.net private member
    Abgeschlossen.

Ps as your surname is Pape, and you have questions about "greenwashing", you should be careful what other Scottish clubs you decide to survey...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome LenPa. Just filled out the survey there, good luck with your research.

One thing I would point out (that I reflected when answering) was that Hibs introduced their Green pledge right before the COVID pandemic, so we’ve yet to see how this reflects in things like food served at matches etc.

Will be interesting to see any noticeable changes (in an environmental perspective) once fans can get back to the games!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you all for participating!
    Yes, I also heard about that when I had some talks with other Hibs fans. I am also looking forward to see if there are any noticeable changes and how they may impact fans! Maybe I have to come back to you next year. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    Just done it, quite a lot about the environment in there, good luck and welcome
    That is true.

Thank you all! I highly appreciate your help! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Abgeschlossen.

Ps as your surname is Pape, and you have questions about "greenwashing", you should be careful what other Scottish clubs you decide to survey...
    Okay, thank you for the information. I do not plan to survey other Scottish clubs but can you enlighten me?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LenPa View Post
    Okay, thank you for the information. I do not plan to survey other Scottish clubs but can you enlighten me?
    Sorry it was just a joke. Please ignore me.

Supporters of The Rangers FC are, for very weird historical reasons linked to 17th century processes of colonialism in Ireland and the later Irish immigration to Scotland from the 19th century onwards, very anti-Catholic in their outlook on life (this is reflected to this day in their offensive songs). 'Pape' is a nickname for a Catholic (short for Papist). Green (associated with the Irish flag) is not their favourite colour as a result. It's all very sad, depressing, and quite shameful that it still exists in (largely the west-central part of) Scotland today.

But it's nothing to do with your survey. It was just me trying to be smart, but only succeeding in being annoying. Apologies.

Good luck with the project.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar

Supporters of The Rangers FC are, for very weird historical reasons linked to 17th century processes of colonialism in Ireland and the later Irish immigration to Scotland from the 19th century onwards, very anti-Catholic in their outlook on life (this is reflected to this day in their offensive songs). 'Pape' is a nickname for a Catholic (short for Papist). Green (associated with the Irish flag) is not their favourite colour as a result. It's all very sad, depressing, and quite shameful that it still exists in (largely the west-central part of) Scotland today.

But it's nothing to do with your survey. It was just me trying to be smart, but only succeeding in being annoying. Apologies.

Nothing wrong with attempting a bit of levity. Especially if it spreads knowledge of the sad reality of that manky set of weirdos.

Done.

Made me think at the end with no middle option between "Omnivore" and "Mainly vegetarian". Managed to solve it because including breakfast and lunch meant the latter.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and to be honest I cannot say that I know a lot about the Hibs as a guy from Germany. I just recently informed myself about the club and I really appreciate what I saw (some crazy fans who are totally into the club). Unfortunately, the first game I was watching was the Scottish Cup final and I think that a lot of you are disappointed at the moment. So I do not know if my inquiry comes at the right time but nevertheless I will try it.
    I am currently working on a research project and I am looking for some help from you. I want to investigate how you as a fan perceive the Hibs in general (e.g. how attached you feel to the club) and how you think about their activities for sustainability (whether you like it or you dislike it - or maybe you never heard about it that the Hibs are/name themselves the greenest club of Scotland). The survey below should take around 10 minutes and it would be great if you could spare the time to answer some questions. All entries are anonymous and the data will be treated confidentially. I would further be happy to share my findings with you if you are interested into the results (this is the last thing I can do). You can find the link here:

Please feel free to ask me any question and I also look forward to discuss with you what you think about the topic of sustainability and the Hibs?
    Len

Quote Reply
    Hi Lenpa - I started doing your quiz but gave up - because the questions became so outlandish and vague that it became an exercise in ridiculousness for me with much of the jargon incomprehensible without the benefit of an accompanying glossary (eg. just what IS an environmental diet?)

I am someone who cares for our environment and - while I recognise that there are small ways a business like a football club can help in that direction - by having recyclable packaging with half time food and having a clear and intrinsic club policy of conserving energy for example - but the impact of football clubs on any impending environmental catastrophe is negligible to zero in my opinion and so Hibs' stance on such matters, while I like them to do the right thing by society and the world at large, has very little impact on my feelings for the club and that is unlikely to change regardless of the political and moral-ethical zeitgheist of the times.

It is all right. I just wasn't sure and try to get familiar with Scottish humour. ;)
    I think that is really interesting - I thank you for the explanation! Never heard about it but as Malthibby
    said it is sad that such things still exist. And I am sure that you are also right - a lot of these fans would have a negativ attitude towards such a survey (even if the survey has nothing to do with it and of course that do not account for all fans).

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    Nothing wrong with attempting a bit of levity. Especially if it spreads knowledge of the sad reality of that manky set of weirdos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Done.

Made me think at the end with no middle option between "Omnivore" and "Mainly vegetarian". Managed to solve it because including breakfast and lunch meant the latter.
    Yeah, sorry for that. But you got right what was meant there! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Hi Lenpa - I started doing your quiz but gave up - because the questions became so outlandish and vague that it became an exercise in ridiculousness for me with much of the jargon incomprehensible without the benefit of an accompanying glossary (eg. just what IS an environmental diet?)

I am someone who cares for our environment and - while I recognise that there are small ways a business like a football club can help in that direction - by having recyclable packaging with half time food and having a clear and intrinsic club policy of conserving energy for example - but the impact of football clubs on any impending environmental catastrophe is negligible to zero in my opinion and so Hibs' stance on such matters, while I like them to do the right thing by society and the world at large, has very little impact on my feelings for the club and that is unlikely to change regardless of the political and moral-ethical zeitgheist of the times.
    Hi bashibby, thank you for your feedback. No problem, I can understand your points. I thought about including something like a glossary or more in detailed explanations of questions but in the end it always some kind of a trade off (especially as it is quite a long questionnaire and I hoped to give some hints during the questionnaire what was meant (like meat free; local products as kind of a pro-environmental diet--> of course these can also partly have a negative impact on the environment (e.g. strawberries need a lot of water) but to give an overview which type of food would have a positive impact would be to much).

That is true and I can absolutely understand your thinking/feelings. I also do not wanted to state that it is necessary for every club do be a "green leader" but to find out how fans think about it and see it. I am also a football fan because I feel attached to the team since I was a little boy - I would appreciate if they do something for the environment but it would maybe just partly change my feelings towards the club (I mean I would really appreciate it if they do something but would I change my team if they do nothing? I doubt it.)
    In my view football clubs can just have a huge impact on a lot of fans to (at least) make them think about such topics like sustainability and maybe also influence them to change behaviours (I guess even much better then politicians or a moral-ethical zeitgeist)

@hibs.net private member wandering_hibee's Avatar
    Done

number of matches attended in last 3 seasons is impacted by covid, no one attended this season or the tail end of last season.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Depending on your study design, I would survey other clubs in Scotland, or at least don't generalise your findings on Hibs to the country as a whole. There's a large right-wing climate-sceptic element who will attach themselves to Rangers, and sadly they will make up a large proportion of the Scottish football contingent.

I'm a quantitative researcher myself, so I can't help but give out un-asked-for comment on your methods.

Quote Originally Posted by franks View Post
    number of matches attended in last 3 seasons is impacted by covid, no one attended this season or the tail end of last season.
    Sorry for the late response.

Yes, because of this problem I chose to ask for game attendance of the last 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Depending on your study design, I would survey other clubs in Scotland, or at least don't generalise your findings on Hibs to the country as a whole. There's a large right-wing climate-sceptic element who will attach themselves to Rangers, and sadly they will make up a large proportion of the Scottish football contingent.

I'm a quantitative researcher myself, so I can't help but give out un-asked-for comment on your methods.
    That is absolutely true and your comment is fine. ;) I am currently looking for other clubs which committed themselves to act more sustainable or which say that they are sustainable clubs (not just in Scotland but also in Europe and the US).
    And I really did not know about that (a large) part of Rangers fan base have right-wing climate-sceptic view.

But what I know is that I really appreciate all your support, time, feedback and explanations - you helped me a lot!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Hi all,

Len

Quote Reply
    Hi Len
    If you’re still about I can maybe put you in touch with a German pal who studied in Edinburgh and remains a Hibby back in Berlin. Neither here nor there of course but I think he did a thesis based around Hibs and the community - his input might assist your research coming from the perspective of a fellow conuntryman

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Tell you what, now that I’ve done the survey Len might choose to be careful about using his surname when engaging with Huns

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Tell you what, now that I’ve done the survey Len might choose to be careful about using his surname when engaging with Huns
    Haha, I will remember your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Hi Len
    If you’re still about I can maybe put you in touch with a German pal who studied in Edinburgh and remains a Hibby back in Berlin. Neither here nor there of course but I think he did a thesis based around Hibs and the community - his input might assist your research coming from the perspective of a fellow conuntryman
    Thank you for that. I guess that would be interesting (at least to have a look at this thesis).